What’s More Important?

What’s More Important For An NFL Player To Have?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What’s More Important For An NFL Player To Have?

Just now, T0mShane said:

We’ve seen players without character make it (Pac Man Jones, Tom Brady). We’ve seen players without talent make it (Jamal Adams, Jamal Adams). But I’ve never seen a player who didn’t want to make it make it. Those guys end up as Vernon Gholston.

Vernon Gholston is a great example of an intelligent physically gifted player who had zero drive.

Unfortunately there’s a bunch of intelligent driven players that had no talent the Jets drafted that sucked. 

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

If I had to pick one, I'll go with drive. 

Mo Wilk has talent but no drive. Wayne Chevet had a lot of drive. Give me 53 Chevets over 53 Mo Wilks.

Cherbert didn’t have measurables but he had talent. Great hands, knowledgeable and excellent route runner. 

Just now, New York Mick said:

Cherbert didn’t have measurables but he had talent. Great hands, knowledgeable and excellent route runner. 

It's going to be hard to separate these three traits. Chrebet made himself into an a great route runner because he put in the work. Route running is function of drive. players are not born great route runners.

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

It's going to be hard to separate these three traits. Chrebet made himself into an a great route runner because he put in the work. Route running is function of drive. players are not born great route runners.

I would say talent followed very closely by drive. You need both. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Vernon Gholston is a great example of an intelligent physically gifted player who had zero drive.

Unfortunately there’s a bunch of intelligent driven players that had no talent the Jets drafted that sucked. 

It’s really interesting that you separated “drive” and “character” because we often assume one comes with the other and it’s just not the case. Good poll question.

Voted drive. Anyone who is in the NFL has talent, that’s a given. Saying a guy has great character is like your buddy asking if a chick is hot and you say “she’s got a great personality.” The desire to keep getting better is far and away more important .

• Upvote 1

Voted Drive. Talent without drive is wasted talent. You can overcome a lack of talent with Drive. Drive can indicate character, but not always. In my opinion at least 80% of the time if you see someone with drive they have character.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Voted Drive. Talent without drive is wasted talent. You can overcome a lack of talent with Drive. Drive can indicate character, but not always. In my opinion at least 80% of the time if you see someone with drive they have character.

Ray Lewis, LT, Adam Jones, Brady, Big Ben, Hunt, Ray Rice, Hernandez, Michael Irvin,  Hayneswoeth, Suh, Foster, Robbie Anderson, Bryan Cox, Incognito etc etc etc   

They all have drive not so much character 

47 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I was. My first step buffet burst is legendary in the  Calabash Seafood Buffet business. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Ray Lewis, LT, Adam Jones, Brady, Big Ben, Hunt, Ray Rice, Hernandez, Michael Irvin,  Hayneswoeth, Sun, Foster, Robbie Anderson, Bryan Cox, Incognito etc etc etc   

They all have drive not so much character 

Would you say 5% to 10% of players lack character or is it higher? As I said Drive is not a guarantee of character. I would say of the remaining 90% those with drive also have character. Just my opinion.

58 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Chrebet was an athlete he trained as a bodybuilder under his dad who did it professionally and he had like 1% body fat

44 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Character has to be last because look at the Patriots 

A cheating coach and QB.  A steroid using WR.  A serial killer TE etc 

Take PEDs + cheat + get your ass kissed by refs = “Patriot Way” 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Bocajetfan said:

Would you say 5% to 10% of players lack character or is it higher? As I said Drive is a guarantee of character. I would say of the remaining 90% those with drive also have character. Just my opinion.

It depends on what you consider character. It’s super objective but I’d say it’s a lot lot higher then 5/10%. 

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

This I agree with.

10th grade we were just a bunch of kids running around. 

11th grade we got a real coach, he coached collegiately at Fordham and did our athletic director a favor and coached us for a year and I literally became a precise route runner in a matter of a few weeks. 

The dude just taught us and drilled it into us and I could get open whenever I wanted to. 

I could still probably beat a bunch of you youngins today to the spot. 

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It depends on what you consider character. It’s super objective but I’d say it’s a lot lot higher then 5/10%. 

I did edit my post to say Drive doesn’t guarantee Character. Character is super objective and in my mind relates to off field issues mostly of a legal nature. Domestic violence, drunken disorderly, drunk driving for example are examples of a lack of character and can be avoided by making the proper choice.

Just now, Bocajetfan said:

I did edit my post to say Drive doesn’t guarantee Character. Character is super objective and in my mind relates to off field issues mostly of a legal nature. Domestic violence, drunken disorderly, drunk driving for example are examples of a lack of character and can be avoided by making the proper choice.

That’s what I think it is but apparently semi pro athletes that have extensive locker room experience think it’s team chemistry. 

On top of off the field issues things like kicking players, fighting, basically losing your cool on the field can be a character issue as well. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Voted drive. Anyone who is in the NFL has talent, that’s a given. Saying a guy has great character is like your buddy asking if a chick is hot and you say “she’s got a great personality.” The desire to keep getting better is far and away more important .

True. See Lawrence Taylor. Guy was crazy driven and super talented. Character? Not so much. Also depends on how we define these terms. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He didn’t have measurables but had talent. He was short, slow and light in the ass. 

So would you say he was Driven to develop the talent he had. Strength, hand eye coordination, precision route running. To me that took work to succeed so to me he was driven.

4 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

So would you say he was Driven to develop the talent he had. Strength, hand eye coordination, precision route running. To me that took work to succeed so to me he was driven.

It definitely did but he had talent to improve. There’s a lot of players that have drive that don’t have great hands. I’ve never heard complaints about Crabtree being lazy but he doesn’t have the best hands.