The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

28 minutes ago, slats said:

Dorsey's running a social experiment in Cleveland. I think some personnel guys put too much emphasis on character, but Dorsey seems to not care about anything other than what a player can do on the field. As long as they're winning, everything will be fine. But if they struggle, that doesn't look like a locker room that's gonna stick together to me. 

Seriously, the moment things take even the slightest turn for the worse, all of the evidence suggests that team is going down in flames.  It should at least be entertaining though.

• Upvote 1

First thing I thought when I heard Bakers comments were...mind your business.

This is the NFL and there's a code.  Duke gets respect.  So does Baker.  Mess with a guys money and it gets personal.

When the league gets tape on a player it becomes harder.  Baker went through the league 1x.  Next year will be different.

He struggles and that's when the issues begin.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Maybe... but I don't think its a matter of whether its going to happen... its when is it going to happen... if the browns are 2-4 by the bye week I could see a good old players meeting... but who knows its better then reading the bad articles on the Jets and how they lucked into a good FO or how they are light on CBs and OL

There a better chance of them being 4-2 then 2-4 and I don’t even really believe in the Browns. They have a great team on paper but so did the 2011 “Dream Team” Eagles but I think with the QB in place and two extremely great WR’s, that alone, is going to have them very competitive in 2019-20

As far as this issue goes, I don’t think this will matter in the long run because Duke Johnson will probably be traded for beans and rice by the preseason. They haven’t had a big enough nibble yet and they have to be realizing that they aren’t going to get one. However, I could also see them keeping Duke until Kareem Hunt comes back also...but less likely.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I was surprised by the Monken news. I really don't think Kitchens will be able to handle this HC role. 

Surprised about Monken as well.  I mean, it's early so we can't really judge how this will go but let's not forget that Monken was relatively high on the Jets list of coaching candidates.  If I remember correctly, the Jets seemed to want Matt Rhule as HC and then push Monken on him on OC.  I may be wrong about that but it's just another indication of how the process was being run under Maccagnan for that coaching search.....was he likely looking for some subservient patsies and potential Yes men at the cost of accepting average coaches?

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

"Implosion"?   Hahahahahahahahahaha

Hardly.  Mayfield was on the money.  Anyone on planet Earth expecting Mayfield to always say the "appropriate" thing, forget about that.  That is not the make-up of Baker Mayfield.  If his public comments bothers you, you should become a Darnold fan.  He will always say the right thing.

And most importantly, none of this matters on the field.  People here just want to see Cleveland crash and burn.

The point is that rumblings and players approaching Mayfield are already happening... It may turn out to be nothing and they go 14-2 and prove all the skeptics wrong and prove you can have a dream team with 53 explosive personalities... but history has always proven otherwise and Kitchens is a rookie HC dealing with all this?? 

Not sure Kitchens has the status to control this crowd... When Phil Jackson did this in LA, he had status of coaching the greatest ever at that time... There are so many things that you deal with as a HC that you don't deal with as coordinator... for a great reference read Belichick's book... https://www.amazon.com/Belichick-Making-Greatest-Football-Coach/dp/0544785746 . Yes yes it Belichick but damn its a good read... and gives insight to how Parcells screwed this team for nearly 20 years for what he did...

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Duke Johnson's trade demand rubbed the Browns QB the wrong way, but his comments backfired with teammates

Several Browns players apparently weren't too happy with Baker Mayfield earlier this month after he called out running back Duke Johnson

According to NFL.com, multiple players confronted Mayfield at some point after his comments were made on June 4 and voiced their displeasure. It seems Mayfield's teammates wanted to see the quarterback support Johnson rather than call him out through of the media.  

Johnson has been demanding a trade since at least April, and although he showed up for mandatory minicamp in early June, he made it clear that he still wants to be traded, which didn't sit well with Mayfield. 

"That's something that we've been dealing with for a while," Mayfield said on June 4, via the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "If we have guys that want to be here, they'll show that, they'll voice that. Obviously he's going to handle his stuff how he wants, but you're either on this train or you're not, it's moving. You can get out of the way or you can join us. So it is what it is."

Johnson presumably wants to be traded because he doesn't think he has much of a future in Cleveland, where he'll eventually be sitting behind Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. The Browns haven't really shown any interest in trading Johnson though, but that's probably because Hunt is going to be suspended for the first eight games of the season. 

Mayfield wasn't just upset that Johnson requested a trade, he also seemed upset that Johnson took the situation public. 

"It's just the way he's handled it," Mayfield said. "It can be a stir-up in the media, it can be however it wants, but if somebody wants to be here, they'll be here in that situation. You've got guys within our locker room that are dying to get playing time, that are dying to be here, and I get it."

After Mayfield's harsh words for Johnson, it's pretty clear his teammates wanted him to be more diplomatic about the situation, like Jarvis Landry was when he was asked about Johnson on the same day.  

"I hope [Johnson] understands and feels that guys are here for him, whether he is here or not, that the relationship goes beyond the player, the person as well, so I definitely hope he understands that and knows that there are guys that are here for him," Landry said.

As for Mayfield, if anyone understands why a player would want to leave one situation to find a better situation, you'd think it would be him. The former Heisman Trophy winner left Texas Tech after his freshman year of college to attend Oklahoma. 

By the way, Mayfield's teammates weren't the only ones who took issue with the way he called out Johnson. Luther Campbell, a.k.a. Uncle Luke from 2 Live Crew, tweeted out some choice words for the quarterback after the incident. Campbell is married to Kristin Campbell, an NFL agent who not so coincidentally just happens to represent Johnson. 

Meh.

I wonder how us Jets fans would view this if it was Darnold and Bilal Powell.....

Over and over again Jets fans claim not to care about Mayfield and the Browns.

Folks are wishing for their downfall so f'ing bad its borderline comical, and also makes no sense given that they're simply doing what the Jets are trying to do...which is to compete and be relevant come January. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Legend Killa7 said:

THIS is the type of crap that drives me nuts.  will Mayfield be better than Darnold?  maybe, maybe not.  But man, I would not want this crap on my team!  so sick of years upon years of crap like this on our Jets.  Could you EVER see Darnold doing anything like this?  I mean the guy is borderline boring to be quite honest!!!

they try to mic him up during practice and you fall asleep!!  LOL

but yeah Mayfield...and just wait till OBJ gets going...

right. Was Peyton a riveting watch off the field when he played?  Brady?  Brees?  I want boring but good

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, fltflo said:

For all you folks who never heard or saw Duke Johnson play at the “U” sorry for you, because you missed a special player. For a time he was the Miami offense. Not sure the Browns were using him in a way that best utilized his talent. I was really hoping the Jets took him in the draft,the kid is a baller.
As far as uncle Luke, he is a huge Canes fans and will always have the former players back, as his QB should have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does he have rap sheet?

12 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Change the names to Darnold and Bell and everybody says non-issue. Sure, it sounds company man af if Johnson were angling for something besides just plain off the team, but since he isn't, what do you want Mayfield to say? The same thing, but in the more diplomatic language of bland cliche? That's not the kind of guy he is and not the kind of quarterback anybody really wants. It would be a whole other thing if he was involving himself in a teammate's contract dispute.

Posters on this board are scared to death of what Mayfield might become in 5 years. They need this stuff to feel better.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Surprised about Monken as well.  I mean, it's early so we can't really judge how this will go but let's not forget that Monken was relatively high on the Jets list of coaching candidates.  If I remember correctly, the Jets seemed to want Matt Rhule as HC and then push Monken on him on OC.  I may be wrong about that but it's just another indication of how the process was being run under Maccagnan for that coaching search.....was he likely looking for some subservient patsies and potential Yes men at the cost of accepting average coaches?

What the Browns players liked last year about Kitchens when he took over the offense is that he took input from everyone and tried the things they asked to try. I imagine Monken is coming in with, "this is my offense, and you're gonna run it." I'm not surprised that there's a little friction. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Posters on this board are scared to death of what Mayfield might become in 5 years. They need this stuff to feel better.

maybe... but right now Mayfield is going to cause more disruption by doing this stuff than bringing the team together... Perform and it all is forgotten... lose a couple games and act like this and the rift will just get deeper

16 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Change the names to Darnold and Bell and everybody says non-issue. Sure, it sounds company man af if Johnson were angling for something besides just plain off the team, but since he isn't, what do you want Mayfield to say? The same thing, but in the more diplomatic language of bland cliche? That's not the kind of guy he is and not the kind of quarterback anybody really wants. It would be a whole other thing if he was involving himself in a teammate's contract dispute.

I don't want Mayfield to say anything. His problem is he feels compelled to run his mouth at all times

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Not sure Kitchens has the status to control this crowd... When Phil Jackson did this in LA, he had status of coaching the greatest ever at that time... There are so many things that you deal with as a HC that you don't deal with as coordinator...

Kitchens was barely a coordinator, he started last season as their RBs coach. I agree with you that this team of, shall we say, personalities probably would've been better off being led by a more seasoned coach. I was actually surprised that they didn't retain Williams. I think he's better equipped to keep that team on track. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Darnold would never say that so we will never know... 

You're probably correct, but im probably correct by saying that if he ever did Jets fans would be talking about how it took balls for him to do that. 

What we do know though is how bad Jets fans want that Browns experiment to fail for some reason. 

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Meh.

I wonder how us Jets fans would view this if it was Darnold and Bilal Powell.....

Over and over again Jets fans claim not to care about Mayfield and the Browns.

Folks are wishing for their downfall so f'ing bad its borderline comical, and also makes no sense given that they're simply doing what the Jets are trying to do...which is to compete and be relevant come January. 

Not wishing for his downfall, just glad we don't have these media talking points on this team... There is no fear of implosion on the Jets... Mayfield can be great but I forsee him more like Rodgers, a great player that doesn't listen to authority and will maybe only get one Superbowl because he needs a Coach to control him like Holmgren... And Darnold is more the personality of a Brees or Montana... 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

What the Browns players liked last year about Kitchens when he took over the offense is that he took input from everyone and tried the things they asked to try. I imagine Monken is coming in with, "this is my offense, and you're gonna run it." I'm not surprised that there's a little friction. 

I think Freddy is a bit cornpone and Monken is no nonsense.  What I really think is that Dorsey calls all the shots

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Kitchens was barely a coordinator, he started last season as their RBs coach. I agree with you that this team of, shall we say, personalities probably would've been better off being led by a more seasoned coach. I was actually surprised that they didn't retain Williams. I think he's better equipped to keep that team on track. 

KItchens is a Dorsey puppet

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

100% correct. 

You know what it is specifically? It's not that Mayfield may even be good or great, it's that most folks talking about how Mayfield runs his mouth were the same ones running their mouth back when he was in college talking about how he played in the Big 12 and "no QB from the Big 12 has ever been good" (Ironically everyone is a f'ing Mahomes fanboy now....but that's a totally different convo) or "his running with the police" or supporting everything Colin Cowherd had to say, or saying he wasnt even a 1st round talent...etc. 

They need Mayfield to be terrible in order for their ego's to save face. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You're probably correct, but im probably correct by saying that if he ever did Jets fans would be talking about how it took balls for him to do that. 

What we do know though is how bad Jets fans want that Browns experiment to fail for some reason. 

Again... I couldn't care less what the Browns do... I am just glad the circus isn't here... Mayfield in NY would have been great and bad all at once... Mayfield needs a real seasoned coach on that team to contain the personalities from going amuck. Maybe it all works out... I just don't foresee a Rookie HC being able to handle that with everything else he has to do.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

100% correct. 

You know what it is specifically? It's not that Mayfield may even be good or great, it's that most folks talking about how Mayfield runs his mouth were the same ones running their mouth back when he was in college talking about how he played in the Big 12 and "no QB from the Big 12 has ever been good" (Ironically everyone is a f'ing Mahomes fanboy now....but that's a totally different convo) or "his running with the police" or supporting everything Colin Cowherd had to say, or saying he wasnt even a 1st round talent...etc. 

They need Mayfield to be terrible in order for their ego's to save face. 

No, its because Mahomes sits back and does his job... doesn't run his mouth and produces... Mayfield is also running his mouth and provides media with endless fodder to put rifts in a team... 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

It's Mayfield's 2019 NFL  team. Don't like it? Piss off. Johnson being unhappy about this is like being unhappy with the sun rising and setting. 

JN’s most underrated poster hits the bullseye again 

11 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Not wishing for his downfall, just glad we don't have these media talking points on this team... There is no fear of implosion on the Jets... Mayfield can be great but I forsee him more like Rodgers, a great player that doesn't listen to authority and will maybe only get one Superbowl because he needs a Coach to control him like Holmgren... And Darnold is more the personality of a Brees or Montana... 

Generally speaking here...

The only fear of implosion for the Browns are the ones who are putting them on massive pedestals. And those people are the same ones who want to see them not make those goals in order to say that "See they imploded". 

The Browns were a 7 win team last year, before that a 0 win team and the year before that a 1 win team. 

They've won 8 games in 3 years. What implosion are folks talking about?

Personalities are great, but it's the talent on the field that wins championships. There are numerous teammates that literally avoid the conversation about Rodgers and his personality in order not to put it out on front street. Yet he's still one of the greatest QB's we will ever see. 

This position of "implosion" but the general public that arent even Browns fans is ludicrous. 

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

No, its because Mahomes sits back and does his job... doesn't run his mouth and produces... Mayfield is also running his mouth and provides media with endless fodder to put rifts in a team... 

Meh

Except when he was in the Big 12, folks was talking about how QB's from the big 12 dont cut it in the league. 

Today everyone is a Mahomes fanatic, so much so that they hate on Jamal Adams. 

I call Bullsh*t. 

And Mayfield is running his mouth and Jets fans are listening. I wonder why. Just sayin'. 

38 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

All true but will be dependent on how many games they have won 50-45 as well. I do 100% agree if that things starts to burn it will burn hot, fast and ugly. 

Like you when a fresh tray of crab legs comes out of the kitchen swing doors at the Golden Corral.

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Generally speaking here...

The only fear of implosion for the Browns are the ones who are putting them on massive pedestals. And those people are the same ones who want to see them not make those goals in order to say that "See they imploded". 

The Browns were a 7 win team last year, before that a 0 win team and the year before that a 1 win team. 

They've won 8 games in 3 years. What implosion are folks talking about?

Personalities are great, but it's the talent on the field that wins championships. There are numerous teammates that literally avoid the conversation about Rodgers and his personality in order not to put it out on front street. Yet he's still one of the greatest QB's we will ever see. 

This position of "implosion" but the general public that arent even Browns fans is ludicrous. 

Public sentiment right now is that the Browns are so stacked that they are going to take down the Central and are going to be one of the best 3 teams in the AFC... Not my perception but ok... People feel that with Hill suspension looming that KC takes a step back... Pats are the Pats.... Steelers are under 500 team with AB and Bell gone... Chargers and Indy are the two other teams rising in the AFC... The implosion has to do with more the media bickering then the actual W/L record... Its easy to see that the personalities will create rifts keeping them a team around 6-10 or 7-9... 

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I absolutely want to see the Browns crash and burn.

Not sure why that’s a grand mystery to some either.

Baker Mayfield...douchebag.

Odell Beckham...douchebag.

Jarvis Landry...douchebag.

John Dorsey...douchebag who routinely drafts and employs major douchebags, albeit talented douchebags.

Then there’s them celebrating against the Jets early last year as if they won the Super Bowl, the national media labeling them a championship contender despite finishing with a losing record and in 3rd place in their division last year, Browns fans suddenly becoming the most arrogant fanbase this side of New England, etc etc.

Of course I want to see this turn into a sh*tshow of epic proportions.

See @Skeptable?

Untouchable is being honest. 

Like I said, it isnt you specifically but its crystal clear that Jets fans are wishing for the Browns downfall. Proof right there. 

I actually respect untouchable here because he's the only one willing to say it. I cant hate on that if that's his position. Its the Jets fans who pretend that this isnt how they feel. 

Im a Jets fan and I want the Browns to kick ass the year. Jets fans know it and give me sh*t about it, but one thing they can never give me sh*t on is lying about how I feel. Many Jets fans are lying about their hatred for this team. Just be honest. 

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Meh

Except when he was in the Big 12, folks was talking about how QB's from the big 12 dont cut it in the league. 

Today everyone is a Mahomes fanatic, so much so that they hate on Jamal Adams. 

I call Bullsh*t. 

And Mayfield is running his mouth and Jets fans are listening. I wonder why. Just sayin'. 

Because Darnold and Mayfield were drafted together... if Rosen or Allen were running their mouths creating this drama there would be a similar sentiment... Your love of Mayfield is blinding the reality of the situation... 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

See @Skeptable?

Untouchable is being honest. 

Like I said, it isnt you specifically but its crystal clear that Jets fans are wishing for the Browns downfall. Proof right there. 

I actually respect untouchable here because he's the only one willing to say it. I cant hate on that if that's his position. Its the Jets fans who pretend that this isnt how they feel. 

Im a Jets fan and I want the Browns to kick ass the year. Jets fans know it and give me sh*t about it, but one thing they can never give me sh*t on is lying about how I feel. Many Jets fans are lying about their hatred for this team. Just be honest. 

But thats not how I feel... so there is that...