The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

Duke Johnson's trade demand rubbed the Browns QB the wrong way, but his comments backfired with teammates

Several Browns players apparently weren't too happy with Baker Mayfield earlier this month after he called out running back Duke Johnson

According to NFL.com, multiple players confronted Mayfield at some point after his comments were made on June 4 and voiced their displeasure. It seems Mayfield's teammates wanted to see the quarterback support Johnson rather than call him out through of the media.  

Johnson has been demanding a trade since at least April, and although he showed up for mandatory minicamp in early June, he made it clear that he still wants to be traded, which didn't sit well with Mayfield. 

"That's something that we've been dealing with for a while," Mayfield said on June 4, via the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "If we have guys that want to be here, they'll show that, they'll voice that. Obviously he's going to handle his stuff how he wants, but you're either on this train or you're not, it's moving. You can get out of the way or you can join us. So it is what it is."

Johnson presumably wants to be traded because he doesn't think he has much of a future in Cleveland, where he'll eventually be sitting behind Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. The Browns haven't really shown any interest in trading Johnson though, but that's probably because Hunt is going to be suspended for the first eight games of the season. 

Mayfield wasn't just upset that Johnson requested a trade, he also seemed upset that Johnson took the situation public. 

"It's just the way he's handled it," Mayfield said. "It can be a stir-up in the media, it can be however it wants, but if somebody wants to be here, they'll be here in that situation. You've got guys within our locker room that are dying to get playing time, that are dying to be here, and I get it."

After Mayfield's harsh words for Johnson, it's pretty clear his teammates wanted him to be more diplomatic about the situation, like Jarvis Landry was when he was asked about Johnson on the same day.  

"I hope [Johnson] understands and feels that guys are here for him, whether he is here or not, that the relationship goes beyond the player, the person as well, so I definitely hope he understands that and knows that there are guys that are here for him," Landry said.

As for Mayfield, if anyone understands why a player would want to leave one situation to find a better situation, you'd think it would be him. The former Heisman Trophy winner left Texas Tech after his freshman year of college to attend Oklahoma. 

By the way, Mayfield's teammates weren't the only ones who took issue with the way he called out Johnson. Luther Campbell, a.k.a. Uncle Luke from 2 Live Crew, tweeted out some choice words for the quarterback after the incident. Campbell is married to Kristin Campbell, an NFL agent who not so coincidentally just happens to represent Johnson. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

THIS is the type of crap that drives me nuts.  will Mayfield be better than Darnold?  maybe, maybe not.  But man, I would not want this crap on my team!  so sick of years upon years of crap like this on our Jets.  Could you EVER see Darnold doing anything like this?  I mean the guy is borderline boring to be quite honest!!!

they try to mic him up during practice and you fall asleep!!  LOL

but yeah Mayfield...and just wait till OBJ gets going...

If Mayfield is as good as he thinks he is he can say whatever he wants. Assuming the Browns are in his corner. I dont see this working out though. Kitchens is going to get bulldozed.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

THIS is the type of crap that drives me nuts.  will Mayfield be better than Darnold?  maybe, maybe not.  But man, I would not want this crap on my team!  so sick of years upon years of crap like this on our Jets.  Could you EVER see Darnold doing anything like this?  I mean the guy is borderline boring to be quite honest!!!

they try to mic him up during practice and you fall asleep!!  LOL

but yeah Mayfield...and just wait till OBJ gets going...

Darnold be like,” yeah man, I heard that, wish him the best.” 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

Baker Mayfield is 100% right. Probably shouldn’t have said it, but it makes him no less correct. 

Except he was that guy in college.  So he's wearing his hypocrite bandana proudly.  The moment things don't go his way, it's going to be glorious in CLE.  And with OBJ on that team, it's almost a certainty.  Popcorn loaded...

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, nycdan said:

Except he was that guy in college.  So he's wearing his hypocrite bandana proudly.  The moment things don't go his way, it's going to be glorious in CLE.  And with OBJ on that team, it's almost a certainty.  Popcorn loaded...

Do what I say Dan, not what I do. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Can anyone say non-issue.

boy, you guys want this implosion to happen so badly. Are you this scared of Baker Mayfield’s existence as it pertains to Darnold being the best QB in the 2018 class?

I want nothing more than to embarrass the Browns in Week 2. I want nothing more than for Sam to be the best QB, not only in the draft class, the entire NFL.

but gaaaaahddddaaamnnnn man, y’all gotta stop LMFAO.

Maybe... but I don't think its a matter of whether its going to happen... its when is it going to happen... if the browns are 2-4 by the bye week I could see a good old players meeting... but who knows its better then reading the bad articles on the Jets and how they lucked into a good FO or how they are light on CBs and OL

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Right or not may no matter if he's creating a rift in the locker room. 

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Baker Mayfield is 100% right. Probably shouldn’t have said it, but it makes him no less correct. 

I agree but this is just OTAs... The season isn't close and this junk is already happening... Not saying I don't agree... Him sating that was basically like we are going to be great so anyone that doesn't want to be here GTFO... 

We get it... but if this little thing bothered you from the media... just wait until real rumblings start happening... thats when the true rifts in the locker room will start... or when they lose a game 50-45 and Mayfield calls out the defense. It's gonna be fun

19 minutes ago, nycdan said:

the stuff that he could get away with at OK won't fly in the pros.  you're now the leader of men, not boys, and you put your teammates first.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Dorsey's running a social experiment in Cleveland. I think some personnel guys put too much emphasis on character, but Dorsey seems to not care about anything other than what a player can do on the field. As long as they're winning, everything will be fine. But if they struggle, that doesn't look like a locker room that's gonna stick together to me. 

I agree with some of this... but I think that sooner or later that is going to combust... and unless your 'leader' can be level headed and contain the situation it will continue to get worse and worse...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Dorsey's running a social experiment in Cleveland. I think some personnel guys put too much emphasis on character, but Dorsey seems to not care about anything other than what a player can do on the field. As long as they're winning, everything will be fine. But if they struggle, that doesn't look like a locker room that's gonna stick together to me. 

Beckham and Landry care about getting the ball. Their tempers dont care about the gameplan. A lot of mouths to feed there. 

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

I agree but this is just OTAs... The season isn't close and this junk is already happening... Not saying I don't agree... Him sating that was basically like we are going to be great so anyone that doesn't want to be here GTFO... 

We get it... but if this little thing bothered you from the media... just wait until real rumblings start happening... thats when the true rifts in the locker room will start... or when they lose a game 50-45 and Mayfield calls out the defense. It's gonna be fun

exactly.  we have seen this first hand for years!  aren't we all sick of it?  2018 draft I had it in my head that Darnold was going #1 or #2.  was convincing myself that Mayfield would be ok.  "sure he's short, but he can play"  "sure, he's a total a$$hole, but he'll grow up"  etc.

look what happened with the idiots and Beckham.  all the talent in the world and he's gone AFTER they just gave him  a big contract LAST YEAR!  the "classy giants" with a guy assaulting a player on the field, taking a pi$$ in the endzone, saying crap about his teammates to press etc etc etc.  the giants never came close (nor were they going to) to a SB with that a$$clown on their team, and nobody was more ticked off that they got rid of him than me.

Mayfield is not there yet, but if he's already starting with this crap, talking s#$t about his former coach last year, etc.  whew.  I'll stick with boring Sam.

• WTF? 1

Duke Johnson never heard of him, either get on board or GTFO. Love it!

For all you folks who never heard or saw Duke Johnson play at the “U” sorry for you, because you missed a special player. For a time he was the Miami offense. Not sure the Browns were using him in a way that best utilized his talent. I was really hoping the Jets took him in the draft,the kid is a baller.
As far as uncle Luke, he is a huge Canes fans and will always have the former players back, as his QB should have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, fltflo said:

For all you folks who never heard or saw Duke Johnson play at the “U” sorry for you, because you missed a special player. For a time he was the Miami offense. Not sure the Browns were using him in a way that best utilized his talent. I was really hoping the Jets took him in the draft,the kid is a baller.
As far as uncle Luke, he is a huge Canes fans and will always have the former players back, as his QB should have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke is married to his agent so he’s running his mouth and the QB should have the whole team’s back not just individual players. 

23 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

All true but will be dependent on how many games they have won 50-45 as well. I do 100% agree if that things starts to burn it will burn hot, fast and ugly. 

29 minutes ago, Bugg said:

It's Mayfield's 2019 NFL  team. Don't like it? Piss off. Johnson being unhappy about this is like being unhappy with the sun rising and setting. 

Sounds a lot like Russel Wilson...or any GM/Owner. 

Now everyone will have to decide if they're workers or management?  

Gonna split the team down the middle. Should be fun to watch. 

Related image

• Haha 1

"Implosion"?   Hahahahahahahahahaha

Hardly.  Mayfield was on the money.  Anyone on planet Earth expecting Mayfield to always say the "appropriate" thing, forget about that.  That is not the make-up of Baker Mayfield.  If his public comments bothers you, you should become a Darnold fan.  He will always say the right thing.

And most importantly, none of this matters on the field.  People here just want to see Cleveland crash and burn.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Can anyone say non-issue.

Change the names to Darnold and Bell and everybody says non-issue. Sure, it sounds company man af if Johnson were angling for something besides just plain off the team, but since he isn't, what do you want Mayfield to say? The same thing, but in the more diplomatic language of bland cliche? That's not the kind of guy he is and not the kind of quarterback anybody really wants. It would be a whole other thing if he was involving himself in a teammate's contract dispute.

• Upvote 1