The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

5 hours ago, jack48 said:

Joe did not run down his teammates.  He did not throw ultimatums at them.  He chased women.

Not responding to the specific behavior of mayfield rather to the conclusion of many that they want a qb to just “shut up, be boring, and play.”

which is fine but let’s not forget joe willie was as polarizing as any player today.

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Baker Mayfield is 100% right. Probably shouldn’t have said it, but it makes him no less correct. 

I don't  think so. This could turn into a pretty messy situation. I think Johnson is going to be there for the season and Baker should be smart enough to realize  this and stand behind his teammate.

9 hours ago, jack48 said:

how many years do you think a RB has?  They brought 2 guys in ahead of him and he sees the handwriting on the wall.  He is not boycotting practice. He just wants to go somwhere and play.  That is your definition of a "cry baby"?  Where do you stand on "spoiled brat QB"?

Hey jack I sense you are very pro darnold, and anti mayfield..  sad we jet fans still have to claim a side when clearly darnold is BY FAR the best qb of that class.. However, the browns have had such a weak pathetic losing attitude for so long, it is refreshing to see “ anyone “ call a loser player out on it. I wouldn’t have judged any of them for demanding to be traded pre-18, since they were consistently yr in yr out, worst team in nfl and wasn’t even close.. the pats are going to be big time losers, but they also wouldn’t tolerate weak cry baby players. Curious to see if they will now, knowing they may be the new browns?‍♂️

9 hours ago, Ghost said:

Say what you want about Baker Mayfield but he’s a helluva QB. 

not too sure what you talking about, I never commented on Mayfield's status.

I will now though, I really wanted Mayfield for the Jets... I figured the Browns were going to draft Sam... we all know what has happened since & I am VERY Happy with the outcome... I Am 10000% For Sam.

6 hours ago, King P said:

I like Mayfield, but he's dead wrong on this one.

You dont worry about the next man's business. I've noticed this is a thing in the NFL, where you have players openly worried about what the next player is doing and counting their pockets. That's a huge no no.

Mayfield had no business speaking on Duke and his situation, and he really shouldn't have. And it's hilarious to see people here ok with that. Who raised y'all? Lol

Seven pages of the same wrong take. And if the story is about the Jets it's twice that long and blames nobody but the reporter for obviously pushing an insidious agenda by accurately publishing direct quotes and stuff.

This is not hard. It would be one thing if Mayfield was siding against a teammate in a contract dispute. That almost never actually happens because it is so universally understood that it simply isn't done and anybody who forgets it long enough to open his mouth gets swiftly and righteously annihilated for it. This situation is a completely different story. Johnson isn't holding out for a contract. He already got one, last year, when he would have been a free agent this year, and  as soon as he got paid he immediately turned around and started pushing for a trade.

Duke Johnson is not Antonio Brown. He's a third string running back making 5 per and saving tread for a third contract. He was very nearly a cap cut as it is. This is only about making his money to play against the team rather than for the team. And you goofballs are seriously suggesting that Mayfield is obligated to support him in this endeavor. Real quick, we're still for winning and against losing, right?

I'm roughly an 11 on a scale from 0 to commie as far as company men and management deals and crossing picket lines. Drew Brees and Gene Upshaw and Ozzie Newsome can all get boned by the devil in hell forever. Mayfield telling Johnson to eat turds has nothing to do with that stuff.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think so. This could turn into a pretty messy situation. I think Johnson is going to be there for the season and Baker should be smart enough to realize  this and stand behind his teammate.

I already said he probably shouldn’t have said it. The reality is they are there to play and win football games not be best friends. The majority of players are there to win football games , if one isn’t then the team is better off without them. Most guys know that and decide not to say it. But, again, still know it and act accordingly. If Baker is slinging that rock winning football games they  will soon forget whatever everyone thinks this is. 

12 hours ago, jgb said:

Not responding to the specific behavior of mayfield rather to the conclusion of many that they want a qb to just “shut up, be boring, and play.”

which is fine but let’s not forget joe willie was as polarizing as any player today.

I watched him play.  He was not polarizing.  He made a prediction before a big game.  He played with a hangover sometimes.  Sonny Jurgensen did that every week.  Joe's teammates liked him and followed his lead on the field.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I already said he probably shouldn’t have said it. The reality is they are there to play and win football games not be best friends. The majority of players are there to win football games , if one isn’t then the team is better off without them. Most guys know that and decide not to say it. But, again, still know it and act accordingly. If Baker is slinging that rock winning football games they  will soon forget whatever everyone thinks this is. 

be nice if he actually manages to beat more than one tem with a winning record this year.  After all, they have so much talent.  He should keep his mouth shut.  And I hate when I see nonsense like he is a leading MVP candidate this year.  Look at the numbers.  I actually believe that Freddy is going to emcee a sh*t show there.

9 hours ago, King P said:

Mayfield had no business speaking on Duke and his situation, and he really shouldn't have. And it's hilarious to see people here ok with that. Who raised y'all? Lol

I get that but he wasn’t even speaking on his money. Where are y’all getting this from? Duke wants to leave because he’s soon to be behind Nick Chubb AND Kareem Hunt. The guy’s gripe is over playing time and his role on the team. If it was contractual issue then I’d agree with you but it’s not lol. I have no problem with Baker publicly telling a guy to buy into his role on the team no matter what that is or get lost. He’s being as blunt as possible and you really can’t hate on that. Could Baker have packaged it differently? Sure but it is what it is.

Le’Veon Bell’s situation was contractual. People were counting his pockets. Again, not so much this tho.

19 minutes ago, jack48 said:

be nice if he actually manages to beat more than one tem with a winning record this year.  After all, they have so much talent.  He should keep his mouth shut.  And I hate when I see nonsense like he is a leading MVP candidate this year.  Look at the numbers.  I actually believe that Freddy is going to emcee a sh*t show there.

If he manages to what? He was a rookie and in his first appearance gave them their first win in a couple seasons. Beating us no less. Baker is a crotch grabbing, big mouthed gifted QB. Take the good with the bad, but the kid can play. Yes, little maturity, a little humility might be nice but I dare say Cleveland would take wins over that right now. Let’s see how this season go’s instead of acting like we know, because we don’t. 

22 minutes ago, jack48 said:

So much pointless butthurt. You get that how good Mayfield is and how good Darnold is are not zero sum, right? Based solely on his ability to make Jets fans threatened and irrational and bitchy and delusional Mayfield projects as the next Brady. As compared to Darnold's being hopefully probably pretty good.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

If he manages to what? He was a rookie and in his first appearance gave them their first win in a couple seasons. Beating us no less. Baker is a crotch grabbing, big mouthed gifted QB. Take the good with the bad, but the kid can play. Yes, little maturity, a little humility might be nice but I dare say Cleveland would take wins over that right now. Let’s see how this season go’s instead of acting like we know, because we don’t. 

He won six games for the ******* Browns. If Darnold had won six games last year there are forum members numbering at least in the dozens who literally would have paid money to blow him.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

They’ll beat the Titans.  Then lose 6 straight  

SAR I

Titans can run the sh*t out of the ball. VERY GOOD Oline, and Mariotta can run, no gimme, Browns D will be doing a lot of grappling that day. That's the 1 thing the Titans have going for them is a tough down & dirty trench warfare Oline. I doubt they can keep up, but they'll bloody the Brown front 7 a bit.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I understand your point. But Johnson needs to wake up with reality. No team is banging down the Browns door to acquire him and then pay him big bucks. 90% of player think they deserve more. The ones who shut up, just play and don’t cry, usually ones who get paid. 

While we dont know for sure, I think you're wrong about teams not wanting to acquire him.  He's mad because the Browns won't trade him, because they need him as insurance during the suspension.

Duke's analytical numbers are excellent - personally id give up a 4th for him and he would be an excellent backup to Bell, but I dont think there isnt a market for him.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I get that but he wasn’t even speaking on his money. Where are y’all getting this from? Duke wants to leave because he’s soon to be behind Nick Chubb AND Kareem Hunt. The guy’s gripe is over playing time and his role on the team. If it was contractual issue then I’d agree with you but it’s not lol. I have no problem with Baker publicly telling a guy to buy into his role on the team no matter what that is or get lost. He’s being as blunt as possible and you really can’t hate on that. Could Baker have packaged it differently? Sure but it is what it is.

Le’Veon Bell’s situation was contractual. People were counting his pockets. Again, not so much this tho.

This actually is a contract issue as well as playing time.   Duke has no guaranteed money after this season, his 3 year $15 million deal only had $8 guaranteed and none after 2019.  So if he gets 80 touches this year as the #3 back it hurts his ability to negotiate next season after the browns likely cut him.  

I also dont think Duke is doing anything so terrible that Baker needed to say anything.  Duke should have his agent say he wants to be traded and if it doesnt happen, enjoy a year with limited tread on the tires and find a new spot next year to earn that money back, but Baker was wrong in this instance.

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This actually is a contract issue as well as playing time.   Duke has no guaranteed money after this season, his 3 year $15 million deal only had $8 guaranteed and none after 2019.  So if he gets 80 touches this year as the #3 back it hurts his ability to negotiate next season after the browns likely cut him.  

I also dont think Duke is doing anything so terrible that Baker needed to say anything.  Duke should have his agent say he wants to be traded and if it doesnt happen, enjoy a year with limited tread on the tires and find a new spot next year to earn that money back, but Baker was wrong in this instance.

This has been an on-going issue for the last 3 months, Duke is a #3 running back, he shouldn’t be this big of a distraction. Baker wasn’t wrong. Baker wasn’t right. There isn’t a wrong or right really. It’s okay to do either... speak up or not say anything. guys are blowing this out of proportion in the name of insecurity.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This has been an on-going issue for the last 3 months, Duke is a #3 running back, he shouldn’t be this big of a distraction. Baker wasn’t wrong. Baker wasn’t right. There isn’t a wrong or right really. It’s okay to do either... speak up or not say anything. guys are blowing this out of proportion in the name of insecurity.

This has been going on for A YEAR. As soon as they signed Hyde and drafted Chubb, Johnson started bitching. They extended him and he kept bitching. I'm not sure when I first heard about an actual trade request but it was way before Hunt.

22 hours ago, jetsfansince7 said:

I love what he said. Duke johnson should keep his mouth shut and handle his business by himself.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

One thing you never hear teammates, union brothers do is criticize another for business issues.  

Mayfield crossed the line here, should never have called out a player for taking care of business.  Mayfield should never had any money issues or playing time issues, some of his teammates will, he needs to understand that and not air the laundry in the press.  He screwed this one up.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

I watched him play.  He was not polarizing.  He made a prediction before a big game.  He played with a hangover sometimes.  Sonny Jurgensen did that every week.  Joe's teammates liked him and followed his lead on the field.

He was almost kicked out of the league for the company he kept and for owning a notorious den of ill repute 

And I love joe Willie of course just pointing out that a qb doesn’t need to be a Boy Scout. I actually prefer an edge on the guy. A great passage from money ball comparing Billy Beane to Lenny Dykstra:

Physically, Lenny didn’t belong in the same league with him. He was half Billy’s size and had a fraction of Billy’s promise – which is why the Mets hadn’t drafted him until the 13th round. Mentally, Lenny was superior, which was odd, considering Lenny wasn’t what you’d call a student of the game. Billy remembers sitting with Lenny in a Mets dugout watching the opposing pitcher warm up. ‘Lenny says, “So who’s that big dumb *** out there on the hill?” And I say, “Lenny, you’re kidding me, right? That’s Steve Carlton. He’s maybe the greatest left-hander in the history of the game.” Lenny says, “Oh, yeah! I knew that!” He sits there for a minute and says, “So, what’s he got?” and I say, “Lenny, come on. Steve Carlton. He’s got heat and also maybe the nastiest slider ever.” And Lenny sits there for a while longer as if he’s taking that in. Finally, he just says, “S***, I’ll stick him.” I’m sitting here thinking, that’s a magazine cover out there on the hill and all Lenny can think is that he’ll stick him.

The point about Lenny, at least to Billy, was clear: Lenny didn’t let his mind screw him up. The physical gifts required to play pro ball were, in some ways, less extraordinary than the mental ones. Only a psychological freak could approach a 100-mph fastball aimed not all that far from his head with total confidence.

“Lenny was so perfectly designed, emotionally, to play the game of baseball,” said Billy. “He was able to instantly forget any failure and draw strength from every success. He had no concept of failure. And he had no idea where he was. And I was the opposite.”

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One thing you never hear teammates, union brothers do is criticize another for business issues.  

Mayfield crossed the line here, should never have called out a player for taking care of business. 

The business was already taken care of. He wanted assurances past last year before the season started and he got 7.7M guaranteed for what is almost definitely going to be one additional season of minimal injury risk followed by his freedom and another contract. And now he doesn't want to give even the year. If we're talking about Revis or Antonio Brown or something, sure, that's business. We're not. If there were any chance he could hold up Haslam for more money, fine. I'm certainly all for that. But there isn't. He's refusing to perform the first year of an extension and he's Duke effing Johnson. If he thinks he's good enough not to be made a tragicomic example of for this ridiculous imitation of this thing he saw work on TV once he is out of his ******* mind.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If Mayfield is as good as he thinks he is he can say whatever he wants. Assuming the Browns are in his corner. I dont see this working out though. Kitchens is going to get bulldozed.

Um, which apparently they are not if you read the article.

Several teammates going to him personally and saying it wasn't cool KINDA tells me they think it was a dick move....which it is.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The business was already taken care of. He wanted assurances past last year before the season started and he got 7.7M guaranteed for what is almost definitely going to be one additional season of minimal injury risk followed by his freedom and another contract. And now he doesn't want to give even the year. If we're talking about Revis or Antonio Brown or something, sure, that's business. We're not. If there were any chance he could hold up Haslam for more money, fine. I'm certainly all for that. But there isn't. He's refusing to perform the first year of an extension and he's Duke effing Johnson. If he thinks he's good enough not to be made a tragicomic example of for this ridiculous imitation of this thing he saw work on TV once he is out of his ******* mind.

Not exactly a JR/Melo Lin ordeal here.

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I think this was the longest I had gone without accidentally remembering the old iso miss one by eight feet and laugh hysterically offense. So eff you for that, pal. I don't give a **** what anybody says, the triangle was a massive improvement.

Feet up in Montana on loop

4 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

just more made up gossip. Browns are going to do very well.

It's nuts how much gossip runs rapid in the NFL. We see it all the time with the Jets. I guess some of our fans love it.

Winning is a cure all. The Browns will win games. Any team that loses implodes. See Pittsburg. The Giants had a great culture until they started losing. Now they apparently have no direction. 

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

ALl he wants......business side of the ball.  As I said.  And its not spoken about, publicly for fans and media.  Just isnt done, the players or explayers who have commented have all said the same thing.  Shouldnt have aired business for all to hear.  

3 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

So much pointless butthurt. You get that how good Mayfield is and how good Darnold is are not zero sum, right? Based solely on his ability to make Jets fans threatened and irrational and bitchy and delusional Mayfield projects as the next Brady. As compared to Darnold's being hopefully probably pretty good.

Dont keep confusing 4 or 5 fans on a board with "Jets fans"

Most are smart enough to know he has nothing to do with the Jets, we didnt pass him up for Darnold.  Was out of our hands.  Everytime he  does or says something stupid and we comment it can be because he did or said something stupid, not some other deep rooted reason 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1