The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

I'll tell you why anyone would care.  Because your in an NFL internet forum discussing anything concerning Darnold and suddenly your down voted into oblivion by a horde of Browns fans or anyone permanently hurt by the notion that Darnold MIGHT'VE been the better pick.  Yeah.  Of course, we all want it to be settled on the field and this rivalry to be like a Brady/Manning linkup for years.  But the levels of micro-managed paranoia every fan base endures waiting for simple draft picks to determine the fate of their franchises for years is mind blowing.  Confounded by the fact that the Browns is even more perennially dysfunctional than this one.

You can't imagine how anyone would care?  Just pick ANY thread on this forum and you'll see fans caring about more pointless topics.

Downvotes don't effect my enjoyment of my team.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

My point was more along the lines of "he would tell people to f*ck off" so he should just "f*ck off" when another player wants to improve his situation by leaving.

Duke Johnson isn't going to play.  Duke Johnson has a limited number of years in the NFL at the most underappreciated position in sports.  I don't blame HIM for wanting to leave.  This has less to do with money and more to do with opportunity.  Just like Baker's TT situation (which I sided with Baker on). 

He should "f*ck off".

You're comparing what we-fans would do or think and what he- Baker thinks.

We can all gnash our teeth and complain and hate him or love him but he just does not give a sh*t.  

We can all think he should f*ck off.

He clearly will not.  He's going to lead the way he wants to lead and he'll either soar or crash and burn.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I’m suggesting winning cures all ills.  Qbs can be giant cock bags as long as they win. 

9 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

image.thumb.png.504e45b4a800e7de186aef6d6a72d835.png

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I’m suggesting winning cures all ills.  Qbs can GOBBLE UP cock bags as long as they win. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If Mayfield is as good as he thinks he is he can say whatever he wants. Assuming the Browns are in his corner. I dont see this working out though. Kitchens is going to get bulldozed.

Yeah...because calling out teammates in the media is working so well for Roethlisberger in PIT.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I have a very simple rule and it comes from NYC streets......

"Keep my money out your mouth"

Fact......

Johnson has been a "Good" guy for the Browns and they tried to trade him last year.  He is just following up on what management itself indicated that they wanted to do.  Why does this make him the bad guy?

Say stuff to a guys face NOT in the press.  Fans like that stuff they think that it shows how tough Baker is or take charge a guy he is.  It doesn't show that at all.

It is a cheap shot.

No one on this board would like colleagues of theirs telling folks in the media or upper management to essentially get rid of you because you don't seem to be a "team" player.  All to often we want justice for ourselves but exhibit little compassion for others.

Just my opinion...

There are ways you do things and Baker's approach rubbed me the wrong way.  But that is just me..

Lets Go Jets!!

Asked an honest question, gave a Baker answer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, I think most posters see it for what it is.

The most notable part of this for me is the contrast between Baker and Darnold, seeing as they were the two QBs we were most likely to end up with. Some like Baker's brash confidence and attitude but I think it's hard to look at how he carries himself and not think he'd be the Rex Ryan of QBs in New York.

Ah, the ol' "New York is special and different" trope.

It's really not.  Not that anyone can convince New Yorkers of that.

Rex didn't fail in New York because he was Rex'ian in his big huge mouth.  He failed because Sanchez was a horrible QB who never got better over his career and he never could sort him out (or the Offense itself) or get a better one.  New York (and Jets Fans in the vast majority) loved Rex when he was here and winning.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Who knows how their careers will end up measuring up over the long haul in terms of production but I can say I'm happy as hell Darnold has an Eli Manning/Derek Jeter type demeanor instead of a Rex Ryan one.

Indeed, we don't know.  Baker is volitile and passionate and that, if not controlled, can burn up and out a guy.

Darnold is laid back SoCal  vanilla milktoast, he always says the right thing (so far) and seems unfazed (and dispassionate at times).  That can be great if the passion is still these under the skin, behind the scenes.

I'm not happy to have one over the other, I want the one who is going to win 5 Super Bowls.  We don't know which, if either, is that guy yet.

• Sympathy 1

Michael Silver is to the Browns as Manish Mehta is to the Jets.

Silver doesn't like the Browns organization, so any perceived or slight issue, Silver will channel his inner Mehta and try to make a huge deal about it.

Now, I still think Baker's mouth is going to eventually get him in trouble, one way or the other....but I'm not sure this is the way it's going to happen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

We can all gnash our teeth and complain and hate him or love him but he just does not give a sh*t.  

Oh, but he does.....he gives a lot of sh*t.  Hence the inability to not respond to any and all negative comments ever said about him, name taking and calling out people in the media - anyone that does not proclaim him the best thing since sliced bread.

The posturing, the need to crotch grabbing and the proclamations of “I feel dangerous today” vs “Our TEAM feels dangerous today”,  just appears to me to have some big insecurities, or a Napoleon Complex”.

Great player who will take his bumps, hopefully like a man, and keep his game on the field.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I think mayfield is a punk but I give him credit for calling out a cry baby. Browns are going to annoying to deal with. I think they will be a bigger challenge to us than pats. If not this yr, definitely not yr. Brady is on his way out, and then so is New England finally

how many years do you think a RB has?  They brought 2 guys in ahead of him and he sees the handwriting on the wall.  He is not boycotting practice. He just wants to go somwhere and play.  That is your definition of a "cry baby"?  Where do you stand on "spoiled brat QB"?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Rex didn't fail in New York because he was Rex'ian in his big huge mouth.  He failed because Sanchez was a horrible QB who never got better over his career and he never could sort him out (or the Offense itself) or get a better one.  New York (and Jets Fans in the vast majority) loved Rex when he was here and winning.

Yeah, this just isn't true. Smaller markets have less media, get less attention. You fart in the wrong direction in New York and it's a story. Granted it's less of an issue in football (the NFL is truly a national league in a way the others aren't) but it's still true.

Here's the reality -- the best teams limit distractions. They limit schisms. They limit stories. This allows them to keep the focus on football. You see this in all good organizations and when teams like the Steelers and Giants go off the rails and start becoming a circus, you see the decline.

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Indeed, we don't know.  Baker is volitile and passionate and that, if not controlled, can burn up and out a guy.

Darnold is laid back SoCal  vanilla milktoast, he always says the right thing (so far) and seems unfazed (and dispassionate at times).  That can be great if the passion is still these under the skin, behind the scenes.

I'm not happy to have one over the other, I want the one who is going to win 5 Super Bowls.  We don't know which, if either, is that guy yet.

Look at how the overwhelming majority of Super Bowl winning QBs act in the media. There's a commonality.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Theres a hell of a lot more press in NY than in Cleveland.

Theres more TV coverage in NY than in Cleveland.

Theres two 24/7 sports radio call in shows in NY

There are 3 local cable TV channels that are exclusively sports networks.

There is competition for stories and lots on incentive to dig deep over any slight indiscretion.  The kinds of reporting that in a million years doesnt happen in Cleveland.  

So yes, the press dogged Rex for a lot of reasons while if in cleveland Rex is the funny fat guy whos also a defensive genius.  Two different markets and treatment.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

I love what he said. Duke johnson should keep his mouth shut and handle his business by himself.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes, many players have had success shooting their way out of town through the press by keeping their mouths shut and handling their business by themselves.

45 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So Mayfield didn’t like Johnson going to the media and say he wanted a trade, but little Baker has no problem with himself going to the media and complaining about Johnson??  Lol....a little hypocritical no?  

Watch the video again. Maybe I missed something.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Oh, but he does.....he gives a lot of sh*t.  Hence the inability to not respond to any and all negative comments ever said about him, name taking and calling out people in the media - anyone that does not proclaim him the best thing since sliced bread.

The posturing, the need to crotch grabbing and the proclamations of “I feel dangerous today” vs “Our TEAM feels dangerous today”,  just appears to me to have some big insecurities, or a Napoleon Complex”.

Great player who will take his bumps, hopefully like a man, and keep his game on the field.  

Ok maybe I'm not expressing myself as clearly as I should be.

First off--Sam is the man, he was my favorite QB last year AND since Luck.  He's BETTER than Baker and a much different dude.

I think Baker is a damn good QB and will make that team a winner.

When I said he doesn't give a sh*t, what I meant was, he gives PLENTY of sh*ts (just like nearly every other player even those who protest otherwise) but is not going to be phased by or put off by stepping on other peoples toes or egg-shelled personas.

He is going to say what he feels regardless of the repercussions because while he gives a sh*t, he really doesn't give a sh*t at the fallout.

Ask him about the crotch grab or the "dangerous" or his other histrionics and I think he'll suggest that anyone who disagrees or dislikes it should suck it.  And if he has a Napoleonic Complex it is something he feeds off of and compels him to be better.   

He's a fiery guy whilst Sam is more laid back.  Sam's a better QB but Mayfield is going to go toe to toe with him for 12 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

You're comparing what we-fans would do or think and what he- Baker thinks.

We can all think he should f*ck off.

He clearly will not.  He's going to lead the way he wants to lead and he'll either soar or crash and burn.

I'm not really comparing anything of the sort.  I'm really just stating my opinion on the matter, just as everyone else is. 

Clearly he doesn't care about anyone's opinion (depending on how you define that because he comes off as incredibly thin skinned and not the "chip on the ole' shoulder" player that he thinks he is), but all I'm saying is that, in this instance, he probably should. 

6 hours ago, slats said:

Meh. 

I think it's just nice when the Jets aren't the tabloid headliners. 

I like Mayfield, and have never had any problem with the mouthiest players the Jets ever had. Gastineau, Keyshawn, never an issue for me. If Mayfield was a Jet, I'd probably enjoy a lot of his antics. I do think, though, that this time he's made a mistake, which is why he found himself confronted by veterans on the team. You side with your teammates in management-labor disputes, or you keep your mouth shut. It's a lesson he needs to learn. Otherwise, he'll be in that Russell Wilson boat where he's a really good QB who isn't loved by his team. 

That said, of course I want Darnold to be better than him! I'm a Jet fan. I hope the Jets crush the Browns and embarrass Mayfield in week two. But I want them to do that to everyone. 

Exactly. I don't care about Mayfield vs Mahomes vs. Wilson Vs Rosen Vs Allen etc. I hate almost every non Jet. I want nothing more than for every other team to implode. I would like nothing more than for the experiment in Cleveland to fail and fail in epic fashion. That said, if the Pats or Steelers were playing Cleveland in the AFC championship or something I'm rooting for Cleveland every time. 

But I hope Kitchens can't handle these guys and Monken is fired week 8. Sheldon punches OBJ and Landry cries. That's what I want/

Oh... and for the Darnold led Jets to stomp through them all. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

All those who shot there way out of town have been a bust. Can’t live UL to their own hype.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Khalil Mack, Leveon Bell, Antonio Brown.  Busts all!  They follow a long line of busts from John Elway, and Eli Manning to Randy Moss, Jerome Bettis and Marshall Faulk. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I'm not really comparing anything of the sort.  I'm really just stating my opinion on the matter, just as everyone else is. 

Clearly he doesn't care about anyone's opinion (depending on how you define that because he comes off as incredibly thin skinned and not the "chip on the ole' shoulder" player that he thinks he is), but all I'm saying is that, in this instance, he probably should. 

Yeah, he's a polarizing player so he'll always be a lightening rod.

Folks will always have differing opinions on him.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

He is answering questions. He is brutally honest. I like that.

One of the most esoteric graduate finance professors I ever had (a weirdly funny yet intimidating Russian dude) always said "there is brutality and there is honesty, there is no reason to pair the two".

I think he's dead now.  Of natural causes.

But still, words to abide.

• Upvote 2

We’re all arguing whether Mayfield’s actions were correct or incorrect. However, that is NOT the issue. The issue is this is making headlines and will eventually lead to an eruption either in the locker room or on the field. 

You got a rookie head coach, players predicting Super Bowls, and a young polarizing QB. Does this sound familiar? At the end, it bit us in the ass. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

We’re all arguing whether Mayfield’s actions were correct or incorrect. However, that is NOT the issue. The issue is this is making headlines and will eventually lead to an eruption either in the locker room or on the field. 

You got a rookie head coach, players predicting Super Bowls, and a young polarizing QB. Does this sound familiar? At the end, it bit us in the ass. 

who is that?