Which was a better draft moment?

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Joe, I can’t wait for that 33 point per game offense you keep promising everyone Darnold will bring us this year!

Its gonna be awesome!!!

They’ll be a lot of them, hope you enjoy, along with what Darnold promised draft night when Sanders asked him what Jet fans can expect from him...”a lotta wins”.

16 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Not to be a downer here, 

“but they picked Darnold and here we are” what does that mean? Where are we exactly, except wherever it is that 4-12 teams are?

I missed the part where this “thank God we got Sam and they got Saquon” story had the happy ending....

That's coming soon.

20 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Not to be a downer here, 

“but they picked Darnold and here we are” what does that mean? Where are we exactly, except wherever it is that 4-12 teams are?

I missed the part where this “thank God we got Sam and they got Saquon” story had the happy ending....

Nothing to be down about.

No matter how it plays out, taking a QB there, when you desperately need one is the right play.  Not taking a RB, no matter how good.  

ANd Darnold showed nothing that should make anyone think he CANT become that QB, while showing more than a little that he CAN become that QB in the near future.

Beyond that there is the hope that hes the real deal.  No one is a guaranteed deal.

• Upvote 1

Darnold would’ve had “zero effect!!!” on the Giants last year. He would’ve sat behind Eli, because Eli was the better QB.

I get that we’re all hoping Darnold becomes a good QB, but please explain your “worked out great for us! Let them have the OROY that helped a team go from 3 to 5 wins!” comment to me.

We won 4 games. That’s your idea of “working out great”????

Barkley had a historic season and the Giants ended up picking just 3 slots behind us.

Darnold had a “meh” rookie season for the most part, finishing strong in the final 4 games.

RB’s simply don’t matter much.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Barkley had a historic season and the Giants ended up picking just 3 slots behind us.

Darnold had a “meh” rookie season for the most part, finishing strong in the final 4 games.

RB’s simply don’t matter much.

I get what you’re saying 80 about the RB thing, even though I think a great one does transform an offense.

My reply to the other poster wasn’t about the taking the RB over the QB. I would’ve taken Darnold every time if I were the Jet GM. I would’ve taken Rosen or Allen also over Barkley, because even now I don’t think there is much separating the three of them,and we made the Indy trade for a QB. Nothing else.

My problem was with his “this couldn’t have worked out better, we got Darnold and look where we are, and they only won 5 games” comment. I read it and I thought “ok, where are we?” We won 4 games. Yes we got a QB we think can be good for a long time, he showed glimpses,but he didn’t light it up last year, so there’s still a lot of “hoping” involved on our part.

BTW I’m picking nits here, but Darnold had 3 good games at the end of the season, not 4. The last game against the Pats nobody played well, including Sam.

Then why did the NFL fight to get Bell and the Jets over pay for him?

1) The NFL didn’t “fight” to sign him. How many teams were truly involved in that “bidding war”? 2 or 3?

2) Bell got a lot less than he thought he would. Even with Macc involved, who is notorious for overpaying people (remember, he offered Cousins more than the Vikings did).

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1) The NFL didn’t “fight” to sign him.

2) Bell got a lot less than he thought he would. Even with Macc involved, who is notorious for overpaying people (remember, he offered Cousins more than the Vikings did)

A lot of teams wanted to sign him 

The Jets offered the most. 

In addition:

Outside of Marshawn Lynch, no elite RBs have won a Super Bowl since the QB-favoring rule changes/emphasis of the mid-2000s

Lots of elite RBs (AP, Tomlinson, Elliott, Portis, Jones-Drew, Charles, Forte, etc) haven’t really sniffed championships in that span.

You’re not gonna win this one, Mick. The market speaks volumes. Outside of the top 3-4 guys RBs get paid barely more than Punters on average.

And a lot of the top teams in the league have gotten smart about not paying RBs beyond their rookie deals: Hence why the Steelers let Bell go and can move forward with a very productive James Conner.

Do you ever see the Patriots paying RBs big money? The Chiefs? The Eagles? The Colts?

Macc just got fired for his mis-management of resources. You really think him paying Bell big money is a point in the “RBs matter” column?

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Name them.

Off the top of my head I think GB, Hou and the Jets offered him a contract and Indy, the Raiders and Baltimore were mentioned in talks with him.

we also had this debate before. I agree that the RB position isn’t as important as it was in the 80s and 90s but I listed a leading RBs that were in the SB and if you take away NE it’s not a bad percentage. 

And as we already debated. The Giants made the right pick because they didn’t like Darnold or Allen. 

And as we already debated. The Giants made the right pick because they didn’t like Darnold or Allen. 

Not liking a QB doesn’t make them right. The Jets liked Christian Hackenberg better than Mahomes. Was that right? The Giants ended up taking Hackenberg v2.0 in Daniel Jones instead. Was that right?

And if they really didn’t like the 2018 QBs that much....why not trade down in that instance? I imagine they could have fleeced Maccagnan to move down to 3 at the very least. Everyone knew the Jets HAD to take a QB.

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not liking a QB doesn’t make them right. The Jets liked Christian Hackenberg better than Mahomes. Was that right? The Giants ended up taking Hackenberg v2.0 in Daniel Jones instead. Was that right?

And if they really didn’t like the 2018 QBs that much....why not trade down in that instance? I imagine they could have fleeced Maccagnan to move down to 3 at the very least. Everyone knew the Jets HAD to take a QB.

Personally I think Jones was a bad pick because they could of taken Allen then still get Jones. Even though I think Allen is going to be a bust most experts disagree with me. 

If they thought Darnold was going to suck and Barkley was going to be a 10 year pro bowler it’s a no brainer. 

I was terrified that Mac (and the organization) preferred Rosen and we were going to pass on Darnold.  I know that was paranoia, but I was still afraid of that until I heard his name called.

I like Mayfield - he has a strong, accurate arm, keeps his eyes downfield, extends plays and is an excellent leader for the Browns, as he would have been for the Jets.  I would have been very happy with that pick.

But Sam, has a higher ceiling due to his overall feel for the position.  His anticipation in throwing to windows as opposed to players and his pocket presence are at an elite level, even though he is only 21 years old with 4 years starting experience.  That ability, along with his size and accuracy make it a literal miracle that he was available at pick 3.  Teams traded multiple firsts to draft players like Marcus Mariota, and we got Sam at 3 after a running back was picked.  Its a miracle.

• Upvote 2

Personally I think Jones was a bad pick because they could of taken Allen then still get Jones. Even though I think Allen is going to be a bust most experts disagree with me. 
If they thought Darnold was going to suck and Barkley was going to be a 10 year pro bowler it’s a no brainer. 

The average shelf life of a RB is 2.5 years. You disregard your dislike of the QB, chalk it up to confirmation bias, and take him anyways. Or trade down.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In addition:

Outside of Marshawn Lynch, no elite RBs have won a Super Bowl since the QB-favoring rule changes/emphasis of the mid-2000s

Lots of elite RBs (AP, Tomlinson, Elliott, Portis, Jones-Drew, Charles, Forte, etc) haven’t really sniffed championships in that span.

And their shelf life is worse than milk....

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The average shelf life of a RB is 2.5 years. You disregard your dislike of the QB, chalk it up to confirmation bias, and take him anyways. Or trade down.

Like the jets traded down this year? If you think a player is a potential pro bowler compared to a potential bust you take the pro bowler. There was a lot of people who didn’t like Darnold before the draft and he hasn’t yet proved himself. 

Like the jets traded down this year? If you think a player is a potential pro bowler compared to a potential bust you take the pro bowler. There was a lot of people who didn’t like Darnold before the draft and he hasn’t yet proved himself. 

Who exactly was trading up for a DT this year?

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Kyle Wilson over anybody.  I think about a young Mark Sanchez. What he could have done with GRONK. But we are a team that drafts undersized defensive players in round 1.  

Tony Pauline’s boy Kyle Wilson

I was shocked. I thought we would take Baker #3 but when he went first and I kinda had a feeling the Giants were going Barkley, I knew that it would be Sam or Rosen..I was cool with either. Was big on Rosen the entire time. Thought his footwork, throwing mechanics, pro offense experience and accuracy were great bullet points on why he should be our guy but when we went Sam, I couldn’t be upset. He was suppose to go #1 and as I watched more tape...I realized he’s just plain magic on the field. What I didn’t expect to find out so quickly is how natural of a QB that Sam Darnold is. I learned that all training camp and preseason. He just was made to play QB.

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

2000 plus yards

15 TDs 

91 Recpt 

80 FDs

0 turnovers

Led the team in the 5 most important stats.

He's going to be great, he already is but the majority of his numbers came in garbage time plus he had a QB that couldn't do anything but dump the ball off.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Historic season out of their RB.  5-11 record. 

That because one player (outside of Brady) doesn’t win games. Without him they might of lost every game.

Barkley isn’t just a RB he had 91 receptions. 

Top RBs don’t win the SB so they shouldn’t be drafted high. You might as well add WRs and TEs to the list as well. Only a few times have the top WR won a SB. Not often do the top passrushers win either or the leading in interceptions. 

You need a balanced team with a few superstars to win. Barkley is a superstar at the moment.