Why do some fans hate the Jets?

Can we dispense with the loyalty oaths please?

This is such a crock.

If the babies among us want to hear only one version of orthodoxy then they should probably go to a site like patsfans,com where only one verson is permitted.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Few reasons:

1. There is a loljets crowd, that feeds off the national media.  They form their opinions based on these media folks, and it transfers over into their fandom.  Think of it as Stockholm Syndrome, so after some time, they see the same faults that are made fun of.  

2.  The Jets have been terrible lately, not much to be positive about, so it's somewhat understandable if people take a prove me wrong approach.  It also stands to reason that there are folks who would rather be right than support the team.  This rings true if people were supportive in the past, and got burned.  For example, I thought Geno Smith under the right system would be a starter in the league.  He hasn't, which makes me question myself as to what I missed.  This is true for every fanbase, even Patriot fans bash their team after a loss.  The percentages are different for obvious reasons.

3.  It takes too much effort to prove these notions wrong.  I've started writing posts and then stopped myself to ask why I'm wasting time researching to prove a point wrong, which would be disputed anyway.  Better off focusing on work.  A board functions well with an interchange of opinions.  However, nowadays opinions get misconstrued as facts, which in turn takes the focus away from actual discussion.

Example:

Poster A: "I feel Adam Gase is an offensive genius"

The response staying on topic should be "I disagree, but why do you feel that way?

Instead, it's "Of course he's not, he did XYZ with Tannehill and you are an idiot if you can't see that".

It shifts the focus away from opinion to the poster's intelligence or lack thereof.  I know the example sounds like British tea time BS, but just wanted a rudimentary example of how something simple goes off track.

4.  It's a message board, there will always be trolls.  

5.  Misery loves company, and a pessimistic circkejerk is comforting to some. 

In the end, it doesn't matter because the results on the field have to prove people right or wrong.  There is no point in believing you can convince everyone of the vision that you see.  You state your opinion, someone else states theirs, and just move on harmoniously.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

This is the most positive the board has been in years....  not sure WTF the OP is talking about.   

we have NO reason to not be optimistic. QB, offensive coach, new respected GM etc.    Yes we have holes but MAC is gone. 

I'm thinking that he's referring to those posters who get down on the Jets no matter what they do. The kind of "fans" who would b*tch even after we won the Super Bowl about something stupid like "we should have had that pick 6 " etc. Can't make some people happy no matter what. They're just miserable about everything.

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

There is no rationalization for some of the same posters to be so negative about the upcoming season. The same people screaming for Bowles & Macc to be fired want to now want to fuel doubt to those of us excited to finally have a Head Coach with experience & coming from the offensive side of the ball combined with getting a dC in Gregg Williams that can take control so Gase can concentrate solely on Darnold & the offense. 

Although we paid Bell a tidy sum, it was still well below projections in the media. So we come out of free agency with the best Offensive player that was available & the best defensive player that was available (both players easily top 3 at their position). The last time the Jets were in the running for a top player it was Reggie White who used us to up the ante in Green Bay.

Now I read threads downplaying Darnolds progression to leading the league in QBR for the last 1/4 of the season? Defensive players usually don't go out of their way to praise young QBs, but that seemed to happen every week. Guys like JJ Watt shaking Sams hand and saying "keep it up, your hell of player", but as a Jet fan I'm not supposed to get excited about that? 

Listen, I get it, optimism is tough when your future is lying in Geno Smiths hands, or Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown, but let's be real here, to not be optimistic about this soon to be only 22 year old QB of your favorite team (the youngest QB to ever start an NFL game since the merger) you have to be a glass half empty fan. 

Then, to top all of this off, we fire the GM that 99% of the fans hated, get the best GM available in Joe Douglas who cut his teeth under one of the best GMs in the league (Ozzie Newsome), he brings with him a wealth of experience in Phil Savage, a history of believing in building the trenches & especially the Offensive Line, but what we still get is he's no Ozzie Newsome? 

Fan sites are here for posting the good & bad of your favorite team. But to have Sam Darnold fall in our laps, get 2 coaches that have head coaching experience, sign both the best offensive player & best defensive player in free agency, draft possibly the best DT to come out of college since Aaron Donald (that is many, many well known scouts opinion), hire a new young GM from not 1 but 2 recently successful franchises and come here like Eyore to douse other fans optimisms is downright ridiculous. The New York Jets have never ever had front office like this combined with a young talented QB and we have Chris Johnson to thank for it. Someone in this organization finally realized after drafting Darnold that he needed to strike while iron was hot & succeeded on every front.

Your damn right I'm excited about the prospects of my team going forward. If I couldn't get excited about this 2019 season I might as well find something else to do on Sundays & the occasional Monday night.

The Jets have tortured us since 1969 . That's why some of us are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo negative .

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

This isn’t questioning fandom, this is questioning reason. The past is the past, f*ck, if everyone lived in the past you’d all be Tom Shane shooting semen on a Jamal Adams poster & shoving an Adams action figure up your butts in the bathtub pretending Jamals a deep sea diver.

are you like 14?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Holy sh*t your a sick dude! I definitely know now your a mothers basement masturbator inching closer towards silence of the lambs territory.

Why is it every time someone here visualizes T0mshane it's either as fetish-ey gay or jerking off?

I mean, is this the fallout from not letting us call each other stupid? That the only insult left is homo-erotic and bigoted? 

Also, if T0mshane came paint chips... you would swallow it all.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Poster A: "I feel Adam Gase is an offensive genius"

The response staying on topic should be "I disagree, but why do you feel that way?

Instead, it's "Of course he's not, he did XYZ with Tannehill and you are an idiot if you can't see that".

It shifts the focus away from opinion to the poster's intelligence or lack thereof.  I know the example sounds like British tea time BS, but just wanted a rudimentary example of how something simple goes off track.

Couple of things...

I think the folks who are generally accosted by people being "negative" need to have thicker skin or get the **** off the internet. 

If you don't like the counter-arguments you see here, you need to learn to discern the stupid ones (like the one in your example) from the real ones. Only reply to the real ones. Troll the others, or just carry-on with your biz.

Either way, it's a sports message board with already strictly enforced rules about topics we can discuss, and insults we cannot make... let's not extend that censorship to 'things that hurt the feelings of about 5 guys here'. 

• Sympathy 3

29 minutes ago, EM31 said:

This is such a crock.

If the babies among us want to hear only one version of orthodoxy then they should probably go to a site like patsfans,com where only one verson is permitted.

What an intellectual, and likely completely glossed over, way of looking at it. I applaud you. 

42 minutes ago, EM31 said:

This is such a crock.

Or a safe space on a college campus..=D>

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Holy sh*t your a sick dude! I definitely know now your a mothers basement masturbator inching closer towards silence of the lambs territory.

All because his family decided to move from Mahopac as a child.   what happened in that bathhouse in NyC changed his life forever.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Has anyone who has actually been on a college campus in the past thirty years actually seen one of these “safe spaces” or a it just a paranoiac Boomer thing like Bird Flu?

Not all but here's 20 Great Value Colleges with Safe Spaces
  • Kent State University in Kent, Ohio.
  • West Virginia University in Morgantown, W.V. ...
  • Suffolk University in Boston, Mass. ...
  • University of Tampa in Tampa, Fla. ...
  • Armstrong State University in Savannah, Ga. ...
  • Cleveland State University in Cleveland, Ohio. ...
  • Colorado Mesa University in Grand Junction, Colo. ..
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:
Not all but here's 20 Great Value Colleges with Safe Spaces
  • Kent State University in Kent, Ohio.
  • West Virginia University in Morgantown, W.V. ...
  • Suffolk University in Boston, Mass. ...
  • University of Tampa in Tampa, Fla. ...
  • Armstrong State University in Savannah, Ga. ...
  • Cleveland State University in Cleveland, Ohio. ...
  • Colorado Mesa University in Grand Junction, Colo. ..

What I learned from this is that there’s a website called “GreatValueColleges dot net.”

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

This isn’t questioning fandom, this is questioning reason. The past is the past, f*ck, if everyone lived in the past you’d all be Tom Shane shooting semen on a Jamal Adams poster & shoving an Adams action figure up your butts in the bathtub pretending Jamals a deep sea diver.

Someone has a vivid imagination 

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That looks like your personal version of a bear trap. Did you plant that in your gazebo? 

Nice to see you are ok and hopefully cleaned up from last night and bandaged all the bruises. 

Does your butt still hurt?  It's best maybe you don't remember what happened. 

No gazebo here still in the market. 

No bench here either. 

Is this you from last night? 

Image result for drunk passed on toilet pics

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Nice to see you are ok and hopefully cleaned up from last night and bandaged all the bruises. 

Were...

Were you at T0m's place last night?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No gazebo here still in the market. 

No bench here either. 

Is this you from last night? 

Image result for drunk passed on toilet pics

T0m and Joe's excellent bathroom crashers adventure

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Nope no way in hell just going by what he/she posted. 

Maybe his butt buddy @BROOKLYN JET  was there. 

It totally read like you were bragging about doing naughty things to T0m's butt last night. And now you're tagging Brooklyn Jet as your next target.

Having a conversation about the male physique with you is like having a conversation about the scientific method with Bill Nye. You can't get enough of the topic, and it's the nexus of everything you love and believe in.

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

It totally read like you were bragging about doing naughty things to T0m's butt last night. And now you're tagging Brooklyn Jet as your next target.

Having a conversation about the male physique with you is like having a conversation about the scientific method with Bill Nye. You can't get enough of the topic, and it's the nexus of everything you love and believe in.

You obviously have reading comprehension issues. 

I forgive you for it. 

*Meanwhile, in the baseball thread on JetNation*

JN Poster: "You know what the guy's problem is, he holds his bat too tight to his body. Once he loosens up his stance, the hits will come."

Joewilly: "Yeah, guys, his grip is as tight as T0m's butt was last night, amirite?"

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Joewilly doesn't just blindly walk into these kind of conversations, he literally sprints to find them.

Someone mentions T0m's butt, anywhere on the internet

*3 seconds later*

In walks joewilly

WRONG AGAIN I partake in humorous conversations involving the trials and tribulations of @T0mShane

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

*Meanwhile, in the baseball thread on JetNation*

JN Poster: "You know what the guy's problem is, he holds his bat too tight to his body. Once he loosens up his stance, the hits will come."

Joewilly: "Yeah, guys, his grip is as tight as T0m's butt was last night, amirite?"

More like 

Spot-Face: Look at me how cool i'm trying to be mocking another poster when I have no clue about anything and don't understand what they are joking about. 

Auto- mechanic: "You see what the problem is, these bolts right here are getting loosened up when you drive, and it's causing things to move around. You really need to check these yourself and make sure they're tight enough."

joewilly: "Speaking of tight enough, have you seen T0m Shane's ass?"

*The mechanic stares at joewilly*

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

Auto- mechanic: "You see what the problem is, these bolts right here are getting loosened up when you drive, and it's causing things to move around. You really need to check these yourself and make sure they're tight enough."

joewilly: "Speaking of tight enough, have you seen T0m Shane's ass?"

*The mechanic stares at joewilly*

A good mechanic would tighten the bolts and there wouldn't be a conversation about it.

Do you practice math with flash cards?