Hopeful article about Darnold

From the article...

As a rookie, Darnold didn’t have a good accuracy percentage, he ranked 31st in the league

Anyone know how "Accuracy Percentage" is judged? 

I thought he was very accurate and was often able to hit tight windows - just didn't have people open all that much.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, genot said:

Hopeful article about Darnold. Not so hopeful about Gase.

Be careful, the Gase police will be coming after you. 

Didn't you know he was an offensive genius?  He should not be judged on his actual performance - his failures were everyone else fault.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s some moron confusing completion percentage with accuracy. 

He was 31st in the league in comp percentage. 

Does not mean he is inaccurate. 

Based on the rest of the article he is very accurate, just young and learning...oh and had a bunch of jerkoffs dropping perfect passes. 

Thanks - That's what I was thinking.  So many variables going into a completion - accuracy is just one small piece of it.

Great great article and highlights how important Darnold was to making a horrific OL look better than it actually was.  

I wonder how Darnold would have done with the Eagles, Chiefs or even Browns OL. The young man can play and given a above average OL and decent skill position players he is going to prove it!!

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Based on the rest of the article he is very accurate, just young and learning...oh and had a bunch of jerkoffs dropping perfect passes. 

McNab was accurate too, he threw 5 and 10 yard passes. He was a top rate worm ball thrower.

49 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This article hits exactly why Sam should have been considered as elite of a prospect as Luck, and why its insane that Baker (who I like) and a RB went before him.

Lol. “Insane to take Baker before him...???”

I think Baker proved last year why he was picked ahead of Sam. Quite decisively actually.

Barkley has nothing to be ashamed of either, despite the RB/QB value thing.

More to the point, you should forget about why Mayfield was picked first, and be more concerned about Darnold proving he deserved to be taken ahead of Josh Allen. There was very little to separate between those two last year. Despite all the  feel good projecting around here.

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You can't possibly look at a rookie year and make a statement of "Quite decisively" taking him first was the right choice- Mayfield unquestionably had a better year - but rookie years are tricky and Mayfield had substantially more talent. 

I have little doubt in my mind that Darnold is the better QB and will have the better career. 

I have no problem with thinking Darnold will have a wonderful career. I think he will also.

What I do take issue with is when people here say how obvious it is that Sam will be better then Mayfield. Based on what exactly? And why the constant need to try and convince each other that Sam should’ve been taken first, and he is the better of the two?

All we have to go by so far IS their rookie year, and Baker was clearly better, and look at their numbers... Yes, Mayfield was decisively better. Anything  else is opinion or as I said, Jets fans projecting.

Why not let Darnold actually prove ON THE FIELD that he is better? He hasn’t yet, but if and when he does there’ll be plenty of opportunities to talk about it.

16 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

It's not confusing actually. It's almost impossible to have a poor completion % if you are accurate.

No need to spin it. He has work to do.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ECURB said:

It's not confusing actually. It's almost impossible to have a poor completion % if you are accurate.

No need to spin it. He has work to do.

I think the opposite is true. 

You cannot have a high completion percentage if you are inaccurate but a very young very accurate QB throwing to crap receivers with a crap line certainly can have a poor completion percentage. 

Case in point, Sam Darnold. No one is saying he doesn’t need work but the accuracy is clearly evident. The video basically said it. Inaccurate guys don’t make some of the throws he made last year or at USC. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

27 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I think the opposite is true. 

You cannot have a high completion percentage if you are inaccurate but a very young very accurate QB throwing to crap receivers with a crap line certainly can have a poor completion percentage. 

Case in point, Sam Darnold. No one is saying he doesn’t need work but the accuracy is clearly evident. The video basically said it. Inaccurate guys don’t make some of the throws he made last year or at USC. 

Accuracy is about consistency.  Single great throws do not make you accurate.  Being consistently accurate makes you accurate.

Darnold is not an accurate QB yet.  He certainly can work hard and grow into one.  

But trying to paint the least accurate QB in the NFL last year as somehow being elite in accuracy because he made a few great throws is a bit of a stretch.

There is no reason to fluff the kid.  He has  a ton of work and development still to come to be what we want, an elite QB.  He is not that yet, he's still just a high quality prospect.  Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

• Sympathy 2

15 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

More to the point, you should forget about why Mayfield was picked first, and be more concerned about Darnold proving he deserved to be taken ahead of Josh Allen. There was very little to separate between those two last year. Despite all the  feel good projecting around here.

Darnold had a 5% better comp%, threw more TDs than ints (unlike Josh), with both better TD and int percentages, while throwing for 50 more yards/game. Allen has a longer way to go as a passer. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

I didnt say it was obvious that Sam will be better then mayfield.  I said it was obvious that he should have been picked ahead of him.  I think Mayfield will be a good NFL QB, was a solid fit in cleveland and would have been happy to have him be a Jet if things went the other way. But Sam didn't have the character concerns, didnt have the "Big 12 defenses" concerns, and is 6'4 225 as opposed to 6'1.  Thats why he was a better prospect.

Baker also had a better rookie year - does his age and experience count?  How about the team around him? How about the level of competition he faced?

Comparing their rookie years means very little.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Darnold had a 5% better comp%, threw more TDs than ints (unlike Josh), with both better TD and int percentages, while throwing for 50 more yards/game. Allen has a longer way to go as a passer. 

All good points by both of you. 

Sometimes I rush thru a quote and don’t explain myself properly.

Im all for Being optimistic about Sam. Let’s face it, without him we are screwed. My objection is the need to put down a Mayfield, Allen or Barkley when talking about Sam.

i think those teams are happy with who they took.

I couldn’t understand at first why the Giants kept saying they were taking the RB, but then I thought about it, and if they took a QB last year, rightly or wrongly he would’ve sat two years behind Eli anyway.

As for the Browns, I always say I’m no draft guru, but if I were them I’d have taken Barkley first, and one of the QBs, either Darnold or Mayfield 4th. The way it played out though their GM knew better then me (shocker) as it appears he got a really good QB and CB.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Accuracy is about consistency.  Single great throws do not make you accurate.  Being consistently accurate makes you accurate.

Darnold is not an accurate QB yet.  He certainly can work hard and grow into one.  

But trying to paint the least accurate QB in the NFL last year as somehow being elite in accuracy because he made a few great throws is a bit of a stretch.

There is no reason to fluff the kid.  He has  a ton of work and development still to come to be what we want, an elite QB.  He is not that yet, he's still just a high quality prospect.  Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Lol ok Captain Literal.

Btw, I’ll get ahead of myself as much as I want.

I get it, you’re not a fan. Been watching him for 3 plus years. 

He’s extremely accurate. 

But yeah, throwing to the crap receivers he was throwing to last year is evidence that he’s not accurate. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Lol ok Captain Literal.

I get it, you’re not a fan. Been watching him for 3 plus years. 

He’s extremely accurate. 

But yeah, throwing to the crap receivers he was throwing to last year is evidence that he’s not accurate. 

Fish doesn't believe in what he considers false hope until the player proves it on the field.. Nothing wrong with that except I think if Fish won a 500 million lottery he would complain about the taxes..:curse:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Fish doesn't believe in what he considers false hope until the player proves it on the field.. Nothing wrong with that except I think if Fish won a 500 million lottery he would complain about the taxes..:curse:

Fish also doesn’t believe in press conferences or articles or reports or preseason anything, nothing before the final gun goes off in the game that guarantees us an over .500 record for the season. 

Kind of a miserable existence if you ask me. 

If you look at completion % as tantamount to accuracy with no other considerations, IMHO you don’t know what the f*ck you are talking about.

If you look at Sam Darnold as inaccurate based on last year, have at it.

Misguided but sure go ahead.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

huh?

17 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Meh most rookie QB’s have 56-59 completion percentages.

actually pretty normal.

If you look at rookie QBs on bad teams, look no further than rookie Peyton Manning at 56.7% comp, a full point below Sam. 

He was accurate at Tenn and he was accurate his entire NFL career. Rookie playing for a bad team doesn’t make an accurate QB inaccurate. 

Comp rate does not equal accuracy or inaccuracy.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Lol. “Insane to take Baker before him...???”

I think Baker proved last year why he was picked ahead of Sam. Quite decisively actually.

Barkley has nothing to be ashamed of either, despite the RB/QB value thing.

Don't you find so much of Allen's success last year was due to his running - he was a bigger stronger Steve Young running QB last year.  He seemed to take off early and often last year and broke off a lot of long runs and was way faster and stronger than expected.  Allen didn't have any of the kinds of nuanced and  tough throws that Darnold showed in that article.  Darnold's a QB with great instincts, Allen is a Cam Newton clone without the touch or feel, JMO.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Grandy said:

I like what the article has to say, but the Stafford tidbit delegitimizes it.

i think THAT bit was the most legit of all...  it presents an argument against the popular notion by an actual rock solid example in real life...

it may not be as saccharine as your sweet tooth demands but...   its fact

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Lol ok Captain Literal.

Yes, how dare we be literal when discussing literal things like literal metrics to measure literal accuracy.....

Go right ahead.

I get it, you’re not a fan.

I'm getting tired of JN Posters who think they get to decide who is or isn't a fan of this team and it's players....

He’s extremely accurate.

He was 31st in the NFL in Completion % in 2018 at 57.7%, below the NFL's "Mendoza Line" of 60%.

Only Josh Allen and Josh Rosen were worse. 

That is simply not "extremely accurate".  

Again, that isn't to say he cannot work hard and improve his accuracy to be materially more consistent, which will be required if he is to be an elite NFL QB, but he was not "extremely accurate" in 2018.  

I just don;t get the homer desire for 1984-esque Newspeak when it comes to guys they like.  He's a young QB who needs to develop, there is NOTHING WRONG with him not being "extremely accurate" yet.  We don't need to redefine what words and metrics mean or engage in extreme hyperbole to be in lockstep with some Party LIne on Darnold. 

Yes, he occasionally makes very accurate throws.  Elite throws even.   No, he is not overall extremely accurate...yet.

We'll see this year, with Anderson, Crowder, Enunwa, Herndon and especially Bell, there should be no "blame the other guys" excuse to be made.  

• Post of the Week 1