Baltimore, Lamar Jackson, and the invention of a new offensive system

Jackson was probably put into the best possible position he could have been by being drafted by Baltimore. They're clearly invested in him and willing to build around his strengths if not work around his weaknesses. And I think the Ravens made the best next step they could by moving on from Flacco who has turned into a fraction of what he was earlier in the decade. (still don't know what Denver was thinking there) I'd rather experiment with a young mobile QB than stick with the old guard in a fit of QB purgatory.

There's obviously a lot of risk to what they're doing but I can't fault them for taking what they could get out of a stacked QB draft and trying to make the most of it. I think it's better to let him be what he is and develop his pocket passing with time than say do what they're doing to Mariota and try to make him what he isn't, a pocket QB. It might not have a long shelf life but it's worth their time to lean into the mobile QB bit.

• 3 months later...
On 7/31/2019 at 1:29 AM, BurnleyJet said:

So Inventive to run your QB 250 times a year. It’s definitely going to end well, and he’s going to be 100% healthy.

Obviously teams are not going to stack the box or anything. 

A new era of football, where this passing thing is a mere foil for the run game. What’s this 1935? -I’m getting my pop corn..

They aren't going for a 20 year career with this QB.

If he learns to pass, he can last longer.   If not, they may have a 4-5 year window of being really good.   I would sign up for a 4-5 year window after the last 20 or so.

Jackson has 24 TD passes, 5 Int's, 66.9 completion percentage, with a rating of 111.4.  He seems to be throwing the ball just fine.  If Darnold was sniffing stats even remotely close to this we would be anointing him as the G.O.A.T..  

Jackson is having an elite type season so far.  Give the kid his due.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

On 7/31/2019 at 8:40 AM, T0mShane said:

This story always ends up the same way:

“This is a new era of football where mobile QBs dominate and you small-minded losers are just going to have to...”

<“Mobile” QB shreds knee in Week Three, never to walk without a limp again>

“Whoops actually we’re trading two first round picks for Case Keenum.”

I wonder if we'll ever get a QB that's built like a RB. These skinny guys just can't hold up to the pounding of running so much. It's a hell of a lot of fun watching them play but everytime they take a shot you wonder if they'll get up

It's hilarious seeing all the people who doubted Jackson would be good at all, are now pivoting and moving the goalposts talling about "oh he's a running QB, he won't last long. We've seen this story before."

The even more hilarious part is nobody keeping the same energy for Josh Allen, despite Allen already having 1000 yards rushing and 15 rushing TDs (more than LJ who has 11 to date).

11 minutes ago, funaz said:

We here this Everytime a new mobile QB comes in to the league and does well. This is the new blueprint and everyone is going to copy it. Three years later they are finished. See..

Vick
Rg3
Kapernick
Cam Newton

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

We never really got to see vicks full potential because he went to jail. And I’m sorry because i am not a fan of the race card but . . . JOSH ALLEN!!! He’s rushed the ball like 90 times this year for over 600 yards, but no one ever says he’s an athlete not a QB like they do with Jackson. Plus Jackson is, and had always been a better passer than Allen.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

We never really got to see vicks full potential because he went to jail. And I’m sorry because i am not a fan of the race card but . . . JOSH ALLEN!!! He’s rushed the ball like 90 times this year for over 600 yards, but no one ever says he’s an athlete not a QB like they do with Jackson. Plus Jackson is, and had always been a better passer than Allen.

Everyone says josh allen is an athlete and not a qb.  The biggest knock on josh allen is him passing the ball.

It’s only a matter of time when defense catches up with Lamar.  I think it’s in 2 weeks.  The Jets, if they beat Miami and chincy, will shut down Lamar. And beat the pigeons.  I just think they will stop his legs and keep him in the picket and force mistakes.  I don’t know why. I just have that gut feeling. Thanks 

16 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

It’s only a matter of time when defense catches up with Lamar.  I think it’s in 2 weeks.  The Jets, if they beat Miami and chincy, will shut down Lamar. And beat the pigeons.  I just think they will stop his legs and keep him in the picket and force mistakes.  I don’t know why. I just have that gut feeling. Thanks 

Creating a scheme to beat LJ is one thing....executing and actually tackling him is a whole different beast. I hope we can pull it off but I can see things getting ugly if we don't tackle well that game.