Who gets cut to accommodate Falk?

mrcoops

Jets need to make a move today allow Falk to be elevated from the PS ahead of tonight's game.

With a lot of injuries already, it's going to be a  tough call as guys that were inactive last week might be needed this week.

Can't waive a WR, as we only have 5 and Thomas is banged up. Can't release McLellan again and bring him back later, as Mosley is injured and then we'd only have Cashman and Hewitt at ILB.

If you waive a young guy - e.g. Kyle Phillips - in the hope of moving him to the PS, you run the risk of someone else claiming him.

Ideally, you want to release a vet who is not subject to waivers and tell him you want to bring him back ASAP when you have a roster spot. But we don't have too many vets that we could comfortably cut.

I think the guy to make room could maybe be CB/S Bennett Jackson, who was inactive last week. My outset bet for a vet release and resign later is Bilal Powell.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Wait this team can't find a guy to waive?  I could think of about 40 guys that we could waive and not notice them being gone.  Just throw a dart at all the names and I bet nobody would claim them.

We are carrying quite a few injured players on the 53, which makes the roster management difficult for this week at least.

It's not just about the quality of the players, it's about having enough healthy players for the 46 this week.

Which player are you hitting with your dart?

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I'm thinking one of the 17 dlineman has to go.

Which one, though?

Quinnen is injured, so you need Foley to back up McLendon this week.

Jets just claimed Franklin-Myers and Willis, so must see them as future assets.

Kyle Phillips played well in pre-season, so might not make it through waivers to the PS.

The other guys are starters or have defined roles on the team, e.g Kaufusi.

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Jets need to make a move today allow Falk to be elevated from the PS ahead of tonight's game.

With a lot of injuries already, it's going to be a  tough call as guys that were inactive last week might be needed this week.

Can't waive a WR, as we only have 5 and Thomas is banged up. Can't release McLellan again and bring him back later, as Mosley is injured and then we'd only have Cashman and Hewitt at ILB.

If you waive a young guy - e.g. Kyle Phillips - in the hope of moving him to the PS, you run the risk of someone else claiming him.

Ideally, you want to release a vet who is not subject to waivers and tell him you want to bring him back ASAP when you have a roster spot. But we don't have too many vets that we could comfortably cut.

I think the guy to make room could maybe be CB/S Bennett Jackson, who was inactive last week. My outset bet for a vet release and resign later is Bilal Powell.

I wish it were Nate Shepard

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I would waive Powell.  He is on the wrong side of 30 for a running back.  

I wouldn't. RB's are used extensively in any offense. So the injuries tend to happen much more frequently. To my knowledge, isn't Leveon Bell a little banged up also? He could be an instrumental part of tonight's offense.

Could a guy like Wesco or Daniel Brown be in trouble.  One of them is likely to be cut in a couple of weeks when Herndon is back.  Neither guy saw the field much last week.  If they release Wesco, they probably can add him to practice squad to replace Falk.  Or if they think Wesco has some upside, just release Brown outright.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Could a guy like Wesco or Daniel Brown be in trouble.  One of them is likely to be cut in a couple of weeks when Herndon is back.  Neither guy saw the field much last week.  If they release Wesco, they probably can add him to practice squad to replace Falk.  Or if they think Wesco has some upside, just release Brown outright.  

Would they want to go into this game and survive until game 5 with just 2 TEs though?

With so many guys banged up, roster management is a real challenge.

I still think Bennett Jackson - as the 5th Safety and 6th CB - is the likely guy.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Put Darnold on IR. Face reality. 

46 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

That makes too much sense, won't happen.

He's already feeling better and could be back on the field in week 5/6 yet you geniuses want him put on IR so he can't return until week 8? 

You could do that with a middling player, you don't do that with your franchise QB. You can cut Bilal Powell and pick him back up in a couple of weeks if/when you need him. 

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, mrcoops said:

Would they want to go into this game and survive until game 5 with just 2 TEs though?

With so many guys banged up, roster management is a real challenge.

I still think Bennett Jackson - as the 5th Safety and 6th CB - is the likely guy.

I don't know.  If its not TE, then I would guess DL.  Don't need 9 guys there.  Phillips played well in pre-season, but is it really that much of a risk to expose him to waivers with the hope of adding him to the PS.

But when your TEs don't play, is it releasing one of them really that much of a risk.  Brown played 2 offensive snaps on Sunday.  Wesco played 5.  Either it was game plan, or the coaches don't see much in either guy.  Run with two TEs and if Griffen goes down, we can re-sign one of these guys or find a guy off the street capable of giving us 2 to 5 snaps for a week or two until Herndon returns.

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I'm going to be honest.  I don't care who they cut or waive.  Deck Chairs, Titanic.  Some fringe guy (probably beloved by Jet Nation).

This is why Douglas gets the big bucks.  To make decisions about who our least needed human asset is.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He's already feeling better and could be back on the field in week 5/6 yet you geniuses want him put on IR so he can't return until week 8? 

You could do that with a middling player, you don't do that with your franchise QB. You can cut Bilal Powell and pick him back up in a couple of weeks if/when you need him. 

How is mononucleosis treated?

There are no medications that can treat mononucleosis, because antibiotics and antiviral drugs are not effective against the virus. If you are diagnosed with mononucleosis, here are some suggestions for how to deal with it:

• Get lots of rest, preferably bed rest, especially the first week or two.
  • Drink plenty of water and other fluids.
  • Take nonprescription pain relievers, such as ibuprofen (or
    acetaminophen, if you cannot take ibuprofen) to help relieve the fever and
    muscle aches that are common symptoms.
  • To help soothe a painful sore throat, use throat lozenges, drink cold
    beverages, or eat frozen desserts, such as popsicles.
  • Gargle with salt water several times a day if your throat feels sore.
    Prepare the salt water solution by dissolving about one-half teaspoon of
    salt in 8 ounces of warm water.
  • Avoid any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise, heavy lifting, or contact sports, for at least 4 to 6 weeks after being diagnosed with mononucleosis. This is to prevent rupture of the spleen, which is fragile during mononucleosis.
  • https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/13974-mononucleosis/management-and-treatment

We both got our medical licenses from the same cereal box.  I did look it up on Google and found this.  The bolded, italicized and underlined portion is what caught my attention. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

How is mononucleosis treated?

There are no medications that can treat mononucleosis, because antibiotics and antiviral drugs are not effective against the virus. If you are diagnosed with mononucleosis, here are some suggestions for how to deal with it:

• Get lots of rest, preferably bed rest, especially the first week or two.
  • Drink plenty of water and other fluids.
  • Take nonprescription pain relievers, such as ibuprofen (or
    acetaminophen, if you cannot take ibuprofen) to help relieve the fever and
    muscle aches that are common symptoms.
  • To help soothe a painful sore throat, use throat lozenges, drink cold
    beverages, or eat frozen desserts, such as popsicles.
  • Gargle with salt water several times a day if your throat feels sore.
    Prepare the salt water solution by dissolving about one-half teaspoon of
    salt in 8 ounces of warm water.
  • Avoid any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise, heavy lifting, or contact sports, for at least 4 to 6 weeks after being diagnosed with mononucleosis. This is to prevent rupture of the spleen, which is fragile during mononucleosis.
  • https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/13974-mononucleosis/management-and-treatment

We both got our medical licenses from the same cereal box.  I did look it up on Google and found this.  The bolded, italicized and underlined portion is what caught my attention. 

Gee, thanks. I should look into this google thing. Seems useful. 

How about we refer to Sam himself and what HIS doctor told him from the NYPost:

Sam Darnold might be back with the Jets sooner than initially anticipated.

The quarterback told Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer that he’s feeling a lot better after being diagnosed with mono and said a doctor told him he needs 21 days to recover. Darnold is hoping doctors let him return to the team later this week and return to game action after the Jets’ Week 4 bye.

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Cannon, Fatukasi, Powell. 

There are 3 guys we can easily replace even if they get claimed by another team

With Quinnen out, Foley Fat is the backup to McLendon at NT.

Cannon is the KR and a starting gunner on STs, but Powell could be the guy to go if Bell isn't too banged up.