Met Life Stadium

For those who were at the game (or not), what were your impressions of the stadium yesterday?

From my couch it seemed like their were as many, or more Cowboy fans. Even Sam Darnald mentioned it in the post game. 

I feel like even the referees have little respect/ fear of making a call against us in crunch time. Just like what happened yesterday. We would NEVER get the benefit of the doubt pass interference calls on the last drive on the road like the Cowboys did, the miss of Crowder being face masked, and half the Cowboys OLINE jumping off sides on the last drive. 

IMHO, we have had zero home field advantage after moving from Shea to Giants Stadium. 

Even with Sam coming back there were as many Cowboys fans (or more) than Jets fans.

Does anyone ever see this changing? 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

For those who were at the game (or not), what were your impressions of the stadium yesterday?

From my couch it seemed like their were as many, or more Cowboy fans. Even Sam Darnald mentioned it in the post game. 

I feel like even the referees have little respect/ fear of making a call against us in crunch time. Just like what happened yesterday. We would NEVER get the benefit of the doubt pass interference calls on the last drive on the road like the Cowboys did, the miss of Crowder being face masked, and half the Cowboys OLINE jumping off sides on the last drive. 

IMHO, we have had zero home field advantage after moving from Shea to Giants Stadium. 

Even with Sam coming back there were as many Cowboys fans (or more) than Jets fans.

82.5 capacity tough to make it all green, people sell when you are losing and sell when you are winning to make a buck. This isn't KC or Philly.

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

the crowds should be better except for the giants/steelers games.

So at minium almost half our home games (Cowboys, Steelers, and Giants) there is more of a home field advantage for the visitors.  

Lets not forget opening day vs the Bills where the stadium seemed less than home for us.

Just ridiulous

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This has been discussed before. Cowboys are a well traveled team with an extensive fan base. Also being in New York there are a lot of folks who didn’t grow up here would will attend when their team is town. New York is also a cool road game gateaway for many. With that said I thought was pretty darn loud on that last defense stand. Jet fans were plentiful and made their noise 

I would agree with much of what you've written. 

The last play  is difficult to judge simply because both fan bases were loud for their team. 

29 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

It’s never going to be the same as what it was at Shea unfortunately. They left behind a lot of loyal fans when they moved to NJ. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

So at minium almost half our home games (Cowboys, Steelers, and Giants) there is more of a home field advantage for the visitors.  

Lets not forget opening day vs the Bills where the stadium seemed less than home for us.

Just ridiulous

did you attend the bills game?  you mentioned you didn't attend the dallas game?  

i didn't say there would be a home field advantage for those games.  just a lot of fans.  it is what it is, until fans like yourself come to games.  

• Upvote 1

I dont have season tickets. The Jets made that a non option when they moved.. The Jets , a NY team, moved two bridges and a tank of gas away from their original fan base with the idea that Giants Stadium was the best fit for the majority of its fans. Assuming that NJ fans would easily make up for fans that could not financially withstand the move. Real tough to blame any of the original fan base and expect them to pay , on top of normal expenses, for two bridges and sit in tons of traffic when they pleaded not to leave. 

Bottom line is the Johnson’s has a chance to correct this awful move to Giants stadium and totally screwed it up. It’s pretty clear from the embarrassing amount Cowboys jerseys at the stadium yesterday 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

That is not a question for season ticket holders; that is a question for basement-TV viewing pretzel eaters as there are millions more Jets fans in the area than there are Cowboys fans and yet the Cowboys fans show up to support their team and the Jets fans don't.  Every Cowboys fan in the building yesterday could have been a Jets fan from the area.  Tickets were at or below face value on Stubhub for weeks.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

lots of cowboys fans.  much more than i expected.

and honestly, if darnold wasn't playing i would have sold my tickets.   but glad i didn't.

the crowds should be better except for the giants/steelers games.

+1

Yesterday was an anomaly, a perfect storm of 0-4 plus a holiday weekend plus back-to-back home games, plus tons of negativity in the media. 

Bills game Week 1 and all the games from last year, you had 5% of fans in the stadium from the opposition, nothing to be crazy about.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It will be what it's going to be until the team moves back to where it's fanbase is... Queens & Long Island

That fanbase is dead.

You do realize that your 50 year old Shea Stadium season ticket holder in 1982 is now 87 years old, yes?  And that the Jets have been in New Jersey (35 years) longer than they were in New York (20 years). 

Look at the license plates in MetLife Stadium.  The fanbase is now in New Jersey.  And we are #2 in the entire NFL in attendance.  Go us.  Yay Garden State.

The problem (if you want to even call it that) is that of the 10 million Jets fans in the NYC metro area a measly 4,000 of them refuse to show up and support the team thus allowing enemy fans to buy the seats on the secondary market.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

Nope,money ruins lots of things. PSL's plus the ability to resell tickets at a profit and the ease(online) at which it can be done have changed sports "homefields" forever. Will it be better if the Jets were winners - to a degree , but at the same time winning would drive the profit margin on those wanting to make the almighty $$$.  Fans of the Cowboys, Steelers, Packers , Vikings etc... are willing to shell out the $$ to see their team play once or twice a year , back in the day when you had to scalp illegally to make a profit it was much harder for the opposition to get their hands on tickets, Plus Season ticket holders wouldn't sell as readily as you weren't protected by Ticketmaster etc...

26 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I dont have season tickets. The Jets made that a non option when they moved.. The Jets , a NY team, moved two bridges and a tank of gas away from their original fan base with the idea that Giants Stadium was the best fit for the majority of its fans. Assuming that NJ fans would easily make up for fans that could not financially withstand the move. Real tough to blame any of the original fan base and expect them to pay , on top of normal expenses, for two bridges and sit in tons of traffic when they pleaded not to leave. 

Bottom line is the Johnson’s has a chance to correct this awful move to Giants stadium and totally screwed it up. It’s pretty clear from the embarrassing amount Cowboys jerseys at the stadium yesterday 

nobody is asking you to go to all the games given the long drive from long island.  but maybe 1 or 2 games per year?

and if nobody from long island is going, what traffic are you talking about?

the move from LI was 36 years ago.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Nope,money ruins lots of things. PSL's plus the ability to resell tickets at a profit and the ease(online) at which it can be done have changed sports "homefields" forever. Will it be better if the Jets were winners - to a degree , but at the same time winning would drive the profit margin on those wanting to make the almighty $$$.  Fans of the Cowboys, Steelers, Packers , Vikings etc... are willing to shell out the $$ to see their team play once or twice a year , back in the day when you had to scalp illegally to make a profit it was much harder for the opposition to get their hands on tickets, Plus Season ticket holders wouldn't sell as readily as you weren't protected by Ticketmaster etc...

Be advised, there are more Jets fans in Foxboro than there are Patriots fans in MetLife, as an example.  It's not a "shame the Jets" situation; it occurs to all teams.  As there are 20 million people in NYC and only 600 thousand in Boston, there are more Jets fans on the planet than Patriots fans even with the frontrunners in the equation.

Be advised, those Cowboys fans in MetLife yesterday are your neighbors in the NYC Metro area, they weren't from Texas.  Those were all turncoat Giants and Jets fans who punted the local teams to the curb in the early 90's and decided to front run and follow the shiny silver helmets instead.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That fanbase is dead.

You do realize that your 50 year old Shea Stadium season ticket holder in 1982 is now 87 years old, yes?  And that the Jets have been in New Jersey (35 years) longer than they were in New York (20 years). 

Look at the license plates in MetLife Stadium.  The fanbase is now in New Jersey.  And we are #2 in the entire NFL in attendance.

The problem (if you want to even call it that) is that of the 10 million Jets fans in the NYC metro area 4000 of them refuse to show up and support the team thus allowing enemy fans to buy the seats on the secondary market.

SAR I

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-ready-flee-meadowlands-1977-article-1.2969435

the Jets had no choice in the move to meadowlands.  the mets were being unreasonable.

• Upvote 1

At least we weren't like the Chargers.  Their "home" game was as much a Pittsburgh home game, it may as well have been in Heinz Field.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

nobody is asking you to go to all the games given the long drive from long island.  but maybe 1 or 2 games per year?

and if nobody from long island is going, what traffic are you talking about?

the move from LI was 36 years ago.

Exactly.

I don't know any fellow season ticket holders that can go to all 10 games every year.  We have work travel and kids commitments and family events, being free to attend 7 or 8 games is a good season.

And season ticket holders put those 2 or 3 games up on Stubhub in hopes that Jets fans who aren't season ticket holders can get their opportunity to buy them at a great price.  And many do.  But 4,000 don't. 

That has nothing to do with geography or money.  It has everything to do with commitment.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-ready-flee-meadowlands-1977-article-1.2969435

the Jets had no choice in the move to meadowlands.  the mets were being unreasonable.

sheags.jpg

Yup, they were awful. 

Jets win the Super Bowl and their reward was the New York Mets forcing the World Champion Jets to play their first 5 games of the 1969 season on the road.  Just horrible.  And Giants Stadium was red and blue, never felt like we belonged there.

MetLife is finally a good home and a place that cares about us.  Because we own it.

SAR I

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It will be what it's going to be until the team moves back to where it's fanbase is... Queens & Long Island

When the team is good the stadium will be full of green fans.  They've played in NJ for MORE THAN 35 YEARS now!  The location is not the problem IMO.  Moving the games 15 miles East would do nothing other than excite half the fanbase while pissing off the other half....the same thing that happened in 1983.

I remember seeing Shea stadium empty in the early 80's when the team sucked as well.

The missed opportunity was the West Side stadium.  THAT was the killer opportunity to play in Manhattan at a non-shared stadium with a true home field advantage.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

sheags.jpg

Yup, they were awful. 

Jets win the Super Bowl and their reward was the New York Mets forcing the World Champion Jets to play their first 5 games of the 1969 season on the road.  Just horrible.  And Giants Stadium was red and blue, never felt like we belonged there.

MetLife is finally a good home and a place that cares about us.  Because we own it.

SAR I

Plus now they are 20 minutes away, and camp is 10 minutes, which is nice.

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

When the team is good the stadium will be full of green fans.  They've played in NJ for MORE THAN 35 YEARS now!  The location is not the problem IMO.  Moving the games 15 miles East would do nothing other than excite half the fanbase while pissing off the other half....the same thing that happened in 1983.

I remember seeing Shea stadium empty in the early 80's when the team sucked as well.

The missed opportunity was the West Side stadium.  THAT was the killer opportunity to play in Manhattan at a non-shared stadium with a true home field advantage.

You make your own home field advantage, No Giant fans on gameday.

Just now, Apache 51 said:

Plus now they are 20 minutes away, and camp is 10 minutes, which is nice.

i don't have a biased opinion as i don't live in either long island or NJ and the commute to the games would be about the same.   i grew up in NJ and currently have a house in LI so no fight either way.  but a LI/Queens stadium is out of the question cost wise.  only option was Manhattan or sharing one with the giants.

i have friends who live in LI who are just dead set against going to a game - maybe get them to go 1x every 3-4 years.    

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

sheags.jpg

Yup, they were awful. 

SAR I

Metlife is an expensive trash can with luxury suites .

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1