Thank God we didn't draft Josh Allen

• 2 years later...
On 10/27/2019 at 6:10 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

It would have been an interior OL who wouldn’t have moved the needle much. Helping Darnold is important. Understanding where you should take OL is even more important.

Johan Williams is still playing LT and his team is in the next round of the playoffs. The Jags are drafting #1 again. I guess OL is more important the ED. 

16 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I never said he wasn’t good. I said he wasn’t as good as some posters made him out to be and he wasn’t going to help his team as much as drafting an OT that will help his QB. So far I’m pretty much on point. 

Meh, that's a convenient memory of your take but all good. lol

I dont necessarily agree you were "on point" if you're considering the circumstances and how things have played out.  The first OL taken after Allen/Q. Will was Jonah Williams, who missed his entire rookie season, was part of an OL that let Burrow getting eaten alive as a rookie and eventually injured, to the point where everyone thought they were crazy for passing on Sewell for Chase.  He was good, not great this year.

The Jets took Becton the following draft, who just missed his entire 2nd season, yet arguably the best player on the team was George Fant who played LT and the OL was by far and away, the best unit on the team.  Meanwhile, the defense was historically bad, they had no pass rush and will more than likely be using a top 10 pick on a pass rusher in this draft but you could argue that Q.Will is the best player on D.

I'd still prefer Allen over Williams just because of the position he plays but I dont think the Jets/Jags are upset at themselves for taking those guys over any of the 1st round OL talent.  My guess is both teams would do it again, even with different GM's.  Fant was better than Williams and it's probably a wash with Williams and Robinson who was on the Jags roster at the time.

17 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Meh, that's a convenient memory of your take but all good. lol

I dont necessarily agree you were "on point" if you're considering the circumstances and how things have played out.  The first OL taken after Allen/Q. Will was Jonah Williams, who missed his entire rookie season, was part of an OL that let Burrow getting eaten alive as a rookie and eventually injured, to the point where everyone thought they were crazy for passing on Sewell for Chase.  He was good, not great this year.

The Jets took Becton the following draft, who just missed his entire 2nd season, yet arguably the best player on the team was George Fant who played LT and the OL was by far and away, the best unit on the team.  Meanwhile, the defense was historically bad, they had no pass rush and will more than likely be using a top 10 pick on a pass rusher in this draft but you could argue that Q.Will is the best player on D.

I'd still prefer Allen over Williams just because of the position he plays but I dont think the Jets/Jags are upset at themselves for taking those guys over any of the 1st round OL talent.  My guess is both teams would do it again, even with different GM's.  Fant was better than Williams and it's probably a wash with Williams and Robinson who was on the Jags roster at the time.

I said Allen would be a 10 sack a year guy. Good but not great or legendary next level Lawrence Taylor like some of you were putting him. I also said he was good in coverage but not when ran at. My biggest point was and still is OT is more important then ED. Agreed JW is an average OT but still more important then an average ED. 

34 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I said Allen would be a 10 sack a year guy. Good but not great or legendary next level Lawrence Taylor like some of you were putting him. I also said he was good in coverage but not when ran at. My biggest point was and still is OT is more important then ED. Agreed JW is an average OT but still more important then an average ED. 

I think it depends and, in this situation, I think you're downplaying Allen's impact (which is probably neutered a bit because of the teams he's on).  And we're probably going to just agree to disagree here because there might not be a right or wrong answer but rather, just a difference of opinion in value and maybe philosophy but here's how I see it: 

5 players from that draft have 20+ sacks, only 1 was taken outside of the first round (Maxx Crosby).  3 of those players have 80+ tackles (Burns, Crosby, Allen).  3 have INT's (Bosa, Sweat, Allen).  Only 1 player has all 3, Josh Allen. Meanwhile, there were numerous starting T's taken outside of 1st round, including Jawann Tayler (granted a RT) who the Jags took in the 2nd round and has played every snap since being drafted. 

So, I think the value Allen provides is more commonly found in the first round, I think it provides a larger impact to the game and I believe in the Jags situation (considering they had Cam Robinson on the roster), it was the right pick.  So IMO, I'd still take Allen over Q.Will and J.Will because I think he could be really special.  He produces like that on a team that never has the lead.  Ever.  

4 hours ago, Ray Ryan said:

56% completion percentage in college OMFG!

Josh Allen the QB had 84% (21-25) completion rate against a playoff Beliprick D. During the game I kept wondering how he would have progressed here. Sadly I doubt that he would be the same great QB that he is now. 

22 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I think it depends and, in this situation, I think you're downplaying Allen's impact (which is probably neutered a bit because of the teams he's on).  And we're probably going to just agree to disagree here because there might not be a right or wrong answer but rather, just a difference of opinion in value and maybe philosophy but here's how I see it: 

5 players from that draft have 20+ sacks, only 1 was taken outside of the first round (Maxx Crosby).  3 of those players have 80+ tackles (Burns, Crosby, Allen).  3 have INT's (Bosa, Sweat, Allen).  Only 1 player has all 3, Josh Allen. Meanwhile, there were numerous starting T's taken outside of 1st round, including Jawann Tayler (granted a RT) who the Jags took in the 2nd round and has played every snap since being drafted. 

So, I think the value Allen provides is more commonly found in the first round, I think it provides a larger impact to the game and I believe in the Jags situation (considering they had Cam Robinson on the roster), it was the right pick.  So IMO, I'd still take Allen over Q.Will and J.Will because I think he could be really special.  He produces like that on a team that never has the lead.  Ever.  

With all that said in hindsight I wouldn’t of drafted either one of them. I wouldn’t taking either DK Metcalf or AJ Brown. I’d definitely take Allen over Q.