Bootleg plays

GumboBoat

1 minute ago, GumboBoat said:

As I remember last year Bates had Sam rolling out on more plays. I happen to think that works to one of Sam's strengths, throwing on the run.

We just don't seem to see that this year. I also think it might take some pressure off the O line. 

Agreed

31 minutes ago, GumboBoat said:

As I remember last year Bates had Sam rolling out on more plays. I happen to think that works to one of Sam's strengths, throwing on the run.

We just don't seem to see that this year. I also think it might take some pressure off the O line. 

He threw one yesterday, right there on the goal line. Didn’t seem like much of a strength. 

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

He threw one yesterday, right there on the goal line. Didn’t seem like much of a strength. 

1 minute ago, GumboBoat said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he was running for his life there as opposed to a designed play. I hear what you're saying though. 

Yeah, apparently Curtmart doesn't know the difference between a designed roll out and scrambling. 

46 minutes ago, GumboBoat said:

Absolutely spot on. Also, I recall we started the PS in a hurry up offense which I was really thrilled to see, but sadly, we have not seen that since. Have to wonder WTF is up with Gase / Loggains for real.

20 minutes ago, GumboBoat said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he was running for his life there as opposed to a designed play. I hear what you're saying though. 

18 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, apparently Curtmart doesn't know the difference between a designed roll out and scrambling. 

13 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

The difference is a designed roll out the receivers are running routes specific for that roll out. whereas when you are scrambling the receivers are trying to break off routes that had nothing to do with the original play.

Maybe you guys shouldn't bash @CurtMart too much.  Compiler or not, that INT at the goal was certainly a designed roll-out - sh*tty play or not. 

Sure looks like he is rolling out to me.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe you guys shouldn't bash @CurtMart too much.  Compiler or not, that INT at the goal was certainly a designed roll-out - sh*tty play or not. 

Sure looks like he is rolling out to me.

Kinda makes you question the play design. Is it common to have a QB role out to the left when they are Right handed? Honest question, I am unsure. 

16 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Absolutely need more designed rollouts. Need some d signed QB runs also to keep the defense honest. How bout a flea flicker? The Pats do about 1 per game. No imagination in the offense. 

This is the kind of overreaction I expect.  To have misdirection plays work, first you need to have your regular plays strike some fear in the D.  Otherwise, they just stay at home, do their jobs and you're ****ed.  Vyncynt or whatever his name is had some success on the end around and they faked it several times.  Presumably, that forced the D to think about it. 

Just calling for a flea flicker doesn't work because teams are stopping our runs without safeties and corners flying up.  They can sit back there and cover the WR while the line and LBs eat up the run.  It's the same reason that play action isn't working.  The traditional cry is "Why don't they run a screen pass?"  The usual reason is because they can't pass, so teams are not going gangbusters after the QB and leaving the blockers and RB open to walk downfield. Sucky offense begets sucky offense.  Once a few things start working, then you can use misdirection.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheMo said:

Kinda makes you question the play design. Is it common to have a QB role out to the left when they are Right handed? Honest question, I am unsure. 

I'm sure he'd throw better rolling the other way, but Darnold has had some success in either direction IIRC.  I was more bothered by rolling to the short side, but that is just me.  You have to be able to fool the D a bit and if they know which way  you are going it certainly isn't going to work, though it certainly didn't work anyway.

1 hour ago, GumboBoat said:

as i remember bates got killed as oc of the jets.  funny how this happens.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think CurtMart highlighted “...Sam’s strength is throwing on the run”.  Seems like scrambling and rolling out both equal “throwing on the run”. Feel free to correct though, HoHo. 

1 hour ago, CurtMart said:

I think CurtMart highlighted “...Sam’s strength is throwing on the run”.  Seems like scrambling and rolling out both equal “throwing on the run”. Feel free to correct though, HoHo. 

Third person?

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

Third person?

Sometimes you just have to spell it out, you know? The state of mind of the Jets fans right now makes all of this completely normal. Any more wins at this point will be a major loss for the future. Hope we crash and burn in spectacular fashion so Adam MF Gase gets sh*tcanned (or canned in the sh*tter)!

14 hours ago, TheMo said:

He did it last year & everyone talked about it for a week how he could throw going right or left.

The difference was Edoga was dancing in space while the guy he was supposed to block came screaming in on Sam B4 he could even turn his body towards his target. Then the miniature Crowder didn't have the size or strength to fight for the errant pass that slipped out of hand after being hit From the side. Sam is making some awful decisions, he's obviously pressing, but I believe he just needs a reset in the offseason with a rebuilt Oline & a complete set of weapons. His head is spinning under way too much pressure on every play, always seemingly playing behind the chains & a non existent running game. All those things always add up to failure in the NFL & they always have since the game was invented. Relatively, Archie's Manning's Saints were probably a more complete team than the 2019 NY Jets. Damien Woody said it best when he said in his 12 years, he'd NEVER seen an Oline as bad as the current version with the Jets. That's a BOLD TRUTHFUL statement & this idea that Sam Darnold should be getting better playing behind them is just asinine. Football is the ULTIMATE team game. 

16 hours ago, GumboBoat said:

limits field to 1/2..

Sam is no threat to run...  he actually has zero yards running his year, and many of his non designed roll out throws have been crap.