Can someone explain why the 1st TD was reversed?

Augustiniak

31 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

so all scoring plays are automatically reviewed for PI now, even if PI was not called in the game.  That was not clear.

All scoring plays are automatically reviewed in the NFL.  

Which means the Refs can do anything they are allowed to do in any other review.

The changes to PI reviewability means in any review, the reviewing Ref can see, and call, PI that was not called, the same way they can pick up a PI flag that was called incorrectly.  

And this was a very clear case of PI.  Refs got it right, much as it disappointed us.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

All scoring plays are automatically reviewed in the NFL.  

Which means the Refs can do anything they are allowed to do in any other review.

The changes to PI reviewability means in any review, the reviewing Ref can see, and call, PI that was not called, the same way they can pick up a PI flag that was called incorrectly.  

And this was a very clear case of PI.  Refs got it right, much as it disappointed us.

Correct until the end. The refs got it wrong; upon review they got it right.

If they'd appropriately called it in real time it only changes in terms of perception of one team's fans. They should have called it on the field, as much as it sucked for us to have points taken off the board. 

Hey, if it was going to happen, at least it happened in a total blowout (not even a blowout the other way, where one can rationalize that momentum swing was a factor).

While temporarily an unfortunate incident, in hindsight it was incredibly good timing: we still went on to beat the piss out of them anyway. Eventually we will benefit from the same thing, so long as the opponent isn't New England. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

All scores are automatically reviewed from the booth and anything that is reviewable can be changed. Now PI is reviewable so they saw it and called it.

it' patently absurd to call a penalty from film review. bizarre. otherworldly. should not be a thing! 

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Correct until the end. The refs got it wrong; upon review they got it right.

If they'd appropriately called it in real time it only changes in terms of perception of one team's fans. They should have called it on the field, as much as it sucked for us to have points taken off the board. 

Hey, if it was going to happen, at least it happened in a total blowout (not even a blowout the other way, where one can rationalize that momentum swing was a factor).

While temporarily an unfortunate incident, in hindsight it was incredibly good timing: we still went on to beat the piss out of them anyway. Eventually we will benefit from the same thing, so long as the opponent isn't New England. 

If it makes you happy, please add the (I thought clearly) implied "in the end." to the end of "the Refs got it right" as needed.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Xtina said:

it' patently absurd to call a penalty from film review. bizarre. otherworldly. should not be a thing! 

I think the only reason people feel this way is that it has never been done in the past and it's a foreign concept.

Let's re-frame the idea of instant replay in general and step away from how it has always been done. Instant replay should be a tool that is used to correct things referee's obviously got wrong on the field. Can we agree on that? We can talk about the efficiency and mechanics of it separately, but can we agree on the pure purpose of replay?

If you agree that the idea is to correct things that were obviously called incorrectly on the field, why wouldn't that include an obvious penalty that occurred but the refs missed?

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think the only reason people feel this way is that it has never been done in the past and it's a foreign concept.

Let's re-frame the idea of instant replay in general and step away from how it has always been done. Instant replay should be a tool that is used to correct things referee's obviously got wrong on the field. Can we agree on that? We can talk about the efficiency and mechanics of it separately, but can we agree on the pure purpose of replay?

If you agree that the idea is to correct things that were obviously called incorrectly on the field, why wouldn't that include an obvious penalty that occurred but the refs missed?

i guess i have 2 issues with this:

1) the nfl has repeatedly said they do not want to undermine the refs on the field.  using replay to review a touchdown that is clearly a touchdown, only to reverse the play b/c of a penalty that was observed in replay - this directly undermines the refs on the field.

2) as of now, PI is the only penalty that can be reviewed.  maybe in a few years all penalties can be challenged and therefore can be reviewed.  if this ever happens, then the replay refs would have to review every player on every scoring play to check for penalties.  this slippery slope argument is dangerous and does not hold.  if a penalty was not called on the field and was not challenged, the replay refs should not be the ones calling the penalty.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Bizzare call.  Given the threshold of how hard it has been getting any PI reversed, I’m shocked they would call one when there wasn’t even a call on the field first.   Alberto Riveron owes the Jets a detailed explanation today.   In a closer game that could have been critical. 

IMHO Riveron's a dick. I was shocked that he wasn't replaced during the off season. If you don't believe me ask Sean Payton. They were screwed yet again on a call yesterday. NFL better get there sh*t together with this PI BS.

• Upvote 1

according to the talking heads, the ny mob saw opi during their review of the scoring play.  okay, then why wasn't it called on the field?  the question here is just how closely will they look at scoring plays?  will they start looking at the oline when there's a score?  i'm sure they can find a patsie lineman holding on every pass play. 

and what about those ducks that brady launched when he was in the grasp?  shouldn't those be intentional grounding?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Because you could take this argument ad infinitum. It diminishes the credibility of the officials actually. They are being reviewed into irrelevance. They should have one chance to see a penalty. Reviewing and re-reviewing endlessly. You have to draw a line somewhere. Personally I’m not a big fan of replay and don’t even think viewers should see it at least not in slo mo 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Another topic, but the "tripping" call in the Dallas-NE game was preposterous.

The NFL officiating is horrible. The NCAA does a much better job than the NFL

Speculation is that belichik compiled clips of previous instances and whined to the officials  This is how you ruin the game 

there was something else weird in that game where the cowboys were caught off guard in typical belichick fashion of manipulating the rule book to the max 

Ridiculous to reverse a TD on a non called penalty. 

Why not look at holding on the offensive line at the same time. The only thing that should have been reviewed was did he catch the ball in the endzone. There was no challenge for PI. 

And isn't it amazing that this is the 1st reversed call I've seen after many, many blatant PIs were ignored on actual challenges? Only the Jets seem to get this type of offhanded scrutiny by the refs. 

Than you have the Cowboys  get not 1 but 2 tripping calls in one game that are so aggregious the refs come out after the fact & tell the Cowboys oops, sorry my bad. F*cking Patriots favoritism is so apparent to every football fan out there. 

And that 2nd phantom tripping came at a critical juncture of the game that completely changed the down & distance and quite possibly affected the outcome of the game. 

Yeah, just scale back the auto reviews to 1. on a scoring play, did the guy really score (cross the whiteline, get both feet in in a catch, etc.)? And, 2. did a turnover actually happen (or was the runner down, ball hit the ground before an INT, etc.)? Just that.

Stop looking for more, b/c they can probably call a holding on an OL on just about any play if they look closely in slow motion.  Stop slowing the game down even more and undermining officials on the field.