Can someone explain why the 1st TD was reversed?

Augustiniak

Gruden didn't challenge it.  I didn't think the refs could call a penalty on a TD review when a flag wasn't thrown during the play and the play wasn't challenged.  How could they call a PI call on the Jets when it wasn't called on the field?  Why not review every other guy to see if there was a hold or illegal contact?  

• Upvote 4

Because the owners change the rulebook every year and make it harder for refs to do their job.  And they can't focus full time on their jobs because the owners are cheap as hell.   But the owners want the officials to take the heat and not them.  Just like Goodell did tor years until people realized what a scarecrow he was.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

All scores are automatically reviewed from the booth and anything that is reviewable can be changed. Now PI is reviewable so they saw it and called it.

I agree that it probably was pass interference, but its strange it got overturned when they aren’t overturning far more blatant mistakes.

• Upvote 2

From the Game Observation thread where it's also being discussed:

Guessing they review every scoring play and were doing the usual check.  They extended that to re officiating that play to call OPI?  Horrible over reach of their powers.  Challenge a PI call and they won't police themselves and admit they made a mistake but here they do it because they initiate the review. 

• Upvote 2

Because there is no consistent standard for how they will decide to overturn PI calls or non-calls, and so individual officiating teams are making it up as they go, and hopefully, this off season, they will decide that, despite the Saints getting screwed in the NFC championship game, overturning PI's has been a net-negative, and remove the rule entirely.

• Upvote 3

If you watch the replay, the defender our backup TE (Daniel Brown) ran into was assigned to cover DT, which is why DT was wide open for the TD.  Brown ran into him about 5 yards downfield so the call was technically right.

The bigger issue, as some have already said in this thread.  It's just been so rare that they make those calls on review since the start of the season.

• Upvote 2

Replay overturns will become what VAR is becoming  in soccer.  Just a way to insure another team has every opportunity to lose.  And a way to insure another team likely wins.  It usee to be "never leave it in the rofa hands" well more it's in the hands of some unseen hand.  Which now as they change the rules year by year, technology or the refs will alternate become scapegoats.  WWE sh*t.  Pick an outcome.

• Upvote 1

What's incredible is that they thought THAT play was so egregious they would make it the first time all year they would call a penalty from NY. Al Riveron and company have no self awareness that they are wrecking football and destroying fan confidence in the game by making such arbitrary calls. The NFL has forgotten that football is entertainment and they are doing everything possible to destroy that experience.

Just now, Beaver said:

Dowell Loggains tempted the Review Gods last week when he challenged a call and it was actually overturned.  That can't happen in the NFL without repercussions.  Payment came due.

I thought the same thing watching the game. It was a "we'll get even with the Jets" call to teach Gase not to mess with Al Riveron and company.

45 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Gruden didn't challenge it.  I didn't think the refs could call a penalty on a TD review when a flag wasn't thrown during the play and the play wasn't challenged.  How could they call a PI call on the Jets when it wasn't called on the field?  Why not review every other guy to see if there was a hold or illegal contact?  

Thats the second time the jets get a TD taken away by this a think the other time was against buffalo or dallas

Just now, Guilhermezmc said:

Thats the second time the jets get a TD taken away by this a think the other time was against buffalo or dallas

that was the buffalo game, i was there.  the difference was the buffalo coach threw the challenge flag even though it was a scoring play and thus automatically reviewable. 

i think the fact that the review refs can effect penalties when none were thrown on the field and the opposing HC didn't challenge the play is ridiculous but hey, that's the nfl now. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think the fact that the review refs can effect penalties when none were thrown on the field and the opposing HC didn't challenge the play is ridiculous but hey, that's the nfl now. 

Imagine if the refs kept this standard up across all TD reviews regardless of teams? More than half of the pats TDs would have to be vacated because of OPI or holding on the offense which weren't initially called on the field but were applied after review!

• Upvote 2

It was ridiculous and sets a whole new precedent for review.  The Jets should demand answers because what that call essentially accomplished was now all automatically reviewed plays, need to scan the entire play to see if there was an infraction that was missed that can be applied after the review.  

This should be the #1 conversation in the NFL right now.  #1.  

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/148713-the-nfl-is-trash-and-needs-to-explain-why-they-overturned-that-td/

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Another topic, but the "tripping" call in the Dallas-NE game was preposterous.

The NFL officiating is horrible. The NCAA does a much better job than the NFL

That was truly disgusting.

There was no one, including the Ref who threw the flag, who could pinpoint and honestly say “ok there’s the trip”.

The only thing it looked like was as if the game was blatantly fixed by an order coming down that “in no way will Dallas be given a chance to win this game”...that happens a lot when teams play New England.

The best thing about that game is that Brady looked like had needed all the help he could get, especially from the Refs, but he’s used to that.

”The Pig is Ripe”....changing of the guard...finally...I don’t think Belichick coaches when Brady is done.  I think he leaves with him.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

All scores are automatically reviewed from the booth and anything that is reviewable can be changed. Now PI is reviewable so they saw it and called it.

This. And anyone that was saying it wasn't a PI is just being a homer. It clearly was. We won 34-3, so who gives a sh*t?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Gruden didn't challenge it.

All scoring plays are automatically reviewed in the NFL.  

I didn't think the refs could call a penalty on a TD review when a flag wasn't thrown during the play and the play wasn't challenged.

How could they call a PI call on the Jets when it wasn't called on the field?

Because all scoring plays are automatically reviewed in the NFL.

Why not review every other guy to see if there was a hold or illegal contact?  

They did.  Because all scoring plays are automatically reviewed in the NFL.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because all scoring plays are automatically reviewed in the NFL.

They did.  Because all scoring plays are automatically reviewed in the NFL.  

so all scoring plays are automatically reviewed for PI now, even if PI was not called in the game.  That was not clear.

Like Gene Steratore said after the reverse,  that happens a lot and it’s never called, so it’s odd to search for it in review and cancel the TD. Clear as day PIs have been challenged and not reversed this year about 99% of the time, so very dumb to go and reverse a TD due to an OPI. NFL referees lack consistency 

• Upvote 2

As others have said ALL scoring plays (and turnovers) are reviewed, and they can call what they like/see, including something not called on the field.  Do I like this policy?  No, but it isn't the league out to get the Jets, and the world is round. 

The very next drive, a horrible roughing the passer penalty was called on the Raiders. 

I do hope they stop calling new penalties on reviews, though.  If it wasn't called on the field, so be it.  And, I worry that the policy of auto review might even get extended.  What's next, reviewing all 3rd down conversion plays to see if something was missed on the field?  No, stop it. Justice is always going to be imperfect in sporting events.

• Upvote 1