Jets pattern: not fighting back when losing

RoadFan

Disclaimer:  I did not watch the Bengals game, but I read the game thread.  I have only watched the Jets play about half of their games this year due to apathy, the Pee-Wee Herman word of the season.

It seems like the Jets were flat and/or things didn't go their way early, fell behind, and had a lousy first half.   So why didn't they come out and play great in the second half?  Instead they collectively decided it's not our day, let's just go through the motions and get to next week?

In fact,  have they showed any balls playing from behind at all this season?  They have certainly had plenty of opportunities.

I was behind the Gase hire.   I am trying to support him through the ups and downs of a bad roster.  But seemingly accepting loss in winnable games before the final whistle is outrageous.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I did not watch the Bengals game, but I read the game thread. 

Its been my experience that if you want a true feel for what's going on in a game, the game thread is the way to go.  LOL

Seriously, that a team with a weak roster only can win games where everything is working from the start shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

WRs who can't get separation, can't catch consistently, an OL that can't block when it counts and the opposition is sending pressure are all recipes for a team that need to be ahead from the start

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

I just dont think they have the players on offense to stage a comeback. QB needs time back there to throw when you're behind. The defense knows we cant block, when they get a lead they pin their ears back and go after our laughable line. IMHO

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its been my experience that if you want a true feel for what's going on in a game, the game thread is the way to go.  LOL

Seriously, that a team with a weak roster only can win games where everything is working from the start shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

WRs who can't get separation, can't catch consistently, an OL that can't block when it counts and the opposition is sending pressure are all recipes for a team that need to be ahead from the start

I agree with both of you... to an extent.

The Jets didnt answer when things started to go wrong against Buffalo, Vedvik failure notwithstanding.  No answer against Jacksonville.  Nothing against Miami.  Zero against the Bengals.   These teams are not world beaters and Sam was playing.

• Upvote 1

I think it has to do a lot more with the inability to make adjustments than 'giving up'. The Jets have mainly lost games because they 1- can;t protect Darnold and 2- can't put pressure on the opposing QB. When they find themselves down in the second half its b/c they can't score in the first half and can't stop the other team from scoring (see 1 and 2 above). Their inability to make adjustments in the second half usually seals their fate before the 4th quarter even starts. And I would say its been more on Gase (offense) than Williams (Defense) unable to adjust. I think Williams overall has done a decent job, other than figuring out a way to generate sacks. 

9 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I agree with both of you... to an extent.

The Jets didnt answer when things started to go wrong against Buffalo, Vedvik failure notwithstanding.  No answer against Jacksonville.  Nothing against Miami.  Zero against the Bengals.   These teams are not world beaters and Sam was playing.

Could be the team just sucks lol?

56 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Disclaimer:  I did not watch the Bengals game, but I read the game thread.  I have only watched the Jets play about half of their games this year due to apathy, the Pee-Wee Herman word of the season.

It seems like the Jets were flat and/or things didn't go their way early, fell behind, and had a lousy first half.   So why didn't they come out and play great in the second half?  Instead they collectively decided it's not our day, let's just go through the motions and get to next week?

In fact,  have they showed any balls playing from behind at all this season?  They have certainly had plenty of opportunities.

I was behind the Gase hire.   I am trying to support him through the ups and downs of a bad roster.  But seemingly accepting loss in winnable games before the final whistle is outrageous.

may be true but if you watched the game you would've seen a 23 yard gain by bell called back because of holding and then a 23 yard pass gain called back by holding and then the infamous holding in the end zone which cost them possession plus the ball.  all of this happened in the third quarter.  whatever enthusiasm they had coming into the second half was immediately dashed.  suddenly it was 22-6 in the 4th quarter.  obviously this team needs to stop giving up.  players still have to make plays whether they are down by 3 or by 16 in the 4th.  they didn't and the bungles ran the ball well enough to get those key first downs to close out the game.  they can go a long way to wash this loss away by beating on the doltfins.

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

may be true but if you watched the game you would've seen a 23 yard gain by bell called back because of holding and then a 23 yard pass gain called back by holding and then the infamous holding in the end zone which cost them possession plus the ball.  all of this happened in the third quarter.  whatever enthusiasm they had coming into the second half was immediately dashed.  suddenly it was 22-6 in the 4th quarter.  obviously this team needs to stop giving up.  players still have to make plays whether they are down by 3 or by 16 in the 4th.  they didn't and the bungles ran the ball well enough to get those key first downs to close out the game.  they can go a long way to wash this loss away by beating on the doltfins.

Bingo. Offense got down on themselves after big plays were called back. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

2+ years away from meaningful games in December...

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

I just dont think they have the players on offense to stage a comeback. QB needs time back there to throw when you're behind. The defense knows we cant block, when they get a lead they pin their ears back and go after our laughable line. IMHO

I think it's this. I'm not sure they're "quitting" per se as much as we're not build to play from behind with that dreadful line. Any time we've played a DL with a pulse we can't pass deep because we can't block long enough for those plays to develop... And Gase certainly isn't making adjustments when we're getting outcoached.

It doesn't help that Gase frequently throws in the towel on 3rd and longs with running plays and sticks with the dinking and dunking even when trailing by double digits. Watch other teams and they're constantly throwing the ball downfield when they're trailing. At least it gives you a chance of getting a PI call. How many times did Darnold throw it downfield in the second half against Cincinnati? Once maybe, on the play where Thomas stopped running? And don't tell me he didn't have time because of the OL. You can always construct plays that give you time to throw a deep pass.

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

If you do not watch all the games , you can not be " FAN " . Change your name . how about ROADKILL ? 

• Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Team always comes out flat and slow when they do take the lead they do not put the petal to the metal and destroy teams, they keep them hanging and go into the prevent offense allowing teams to come back on them. 

I realize that everyone wants to do their armchair analysis but you cannot characterize a team that has lost this many players to injury concentrated at key positions.  OL, LB, WR, QB, you can't draw conclusions on the roster or the coaching staff under these extraordinary conditions.

You can't say "this team can't _______" or "this team acts like _______" because this isn't the team we were supposed to have in 2019 and it's not the team we're going to have in 2020.  This is a lost year.  We learn nothing other than a) the players playing hard for the coach, b) Darnold taking steps forward, c) backups showing they can be capable backups.

SAR I

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

I realize that everyone wants to do their armchair analysis but you cannot characterize a team that has lost this many players to injury concentrated at key positions.  OL, LB, WR, QB, you can't draw conclusions on the roster or the coaching staff under these extraordinary conditions.

You can't say "this team can't _______" or "this team acts like _______" because this isn't the team we were supposed to have in 2019 and it's not the team we're going to have in 2020.  This is a lost year.  We learn nothing other than a) the players playing hard for the coach, b) Darnold taking steps forward, c) backups showing they can be capable backups.

SAR I

Unfortunately it will be the same HC and OC in 2020

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

STOP you may know the stadium, seating,ticket prices,PSL's etc but this is football talk and there are NO EXCUSES in football especially not the one you just gave. 

This is the NFL. 

Why do you defend all thats wrong here. 

Im starting to believe you are related to the Johnson brothers or on on the NY Jets payroll in some capacity. 

joewily12

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

STOP you may know the stadium, seating,ticket prices,PSL's etc but this is football talk and there are NO EXCUSES in football especially not the one you just gave. 

This is the NFL. 

Why do you defend all thats wrong here. 

Im starting to believe you are related to the Johnson brothers or on on the NY Jets payroll in some capacity. 

joewily12

NO EXCUSES is also something that ignorant, cliché spouting, so-called fans with an anti-ownership bias say because they just feel like sh*tting all over their franchise like they always do.

I am starting to believe you are related to the Kraft family or are on the New England Patriots payroll in some capacity.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

The Jets are no different than any other sh*tty team in this league getting down ON THE ROAD!

Look what happened to Oakland at Metfile when they were down. Jets @ Miami, Jets @ Jax, Jets @ Cincy. Each game had its huge mistakes that led to getting behind. This team isn't good enough (especially the Oline) to drop back & pass 50 times, when the opposing team knows they have to pass. Every Gase hater believes somehow ( How? I don't know), that this Jet team is more talented than it is? It's not. We need better players....PERIOD! We need our injured players back. Avery, Mosely, Herndon & every other role player on injured reserve. We need competent CBs, we need pass rushers, an entire new Oline (every starter I see a backup), we literally have MAYBE 5 above average players & our best defender Mosely is hurt. 

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

NO EXCUSES is also something that ignorant, cliché spouting, so-called fans with an anti-ownership bias say because they just feel like sh*tting all over their franchise like they always do.

I am starting to believe you are related to the Kraft family or are on the New England Patriots payroll in some capacity.

SAR I

DEAD WRONG as usual, stop making excuses for the piss poor play on the field. 

Injuries happen to all teams in the NFL. 

The NY Jets come out flat more often than not, if they get a lead they more often than not cannot hold onto it. 

We just lost to an 0-11 team where there was no urgency to win coaches and players and no in game adjustments to anything bad. 

The play calling was terrible all game long. 

joewilly12

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

DEAD WRONG as usual, stop making excuses for the piss poor play on the field. 

If you look at my avatar and my sig you'll see I'm a Jets head coach hater of the highest order.  Yet I'm not down on Adam Gase.  Gee.  Wonder why?

Injuries happen to all teams in the NFL. 

Not to this degree.  I grow weary of summarizing all the injuries at all the key positions like QB, LB, OL, WR.  Please do the research  yourself for a change.  If you can't see that half our roster shouldn't be playing in the NFL and it's a tremendous achievement that we just won 3 or our last 4 games I don't know what you're smoking.

The NY Jets come out flat more often than not, if they get a lead they more often than not cannot hold onto it. 

Did the Oakland Raiders "come out flat" or did they just get whooped by a Jets team that was better prepared that day?  Did the Dallas Cowboys "come out flat" or were the Jets just better coached with a stronger game plan that day?  You should have watched enough NFL games to know that sometimes the better team loses.  When it happens to the Jets no one likes it, but it's inevitable in this league.  We won our share of those games too.  For every Dolphin and Bengal head-shaker there is a Cowboy and Raider surprise.  This is life when you're a 5-11 team with some added pieces and an 8-8 ceiling.  And as injured as we are?  You should be proud of this team.

We just lost to an 0-11 team where there was no urgency to win coaches and players and no in game adjustments to anything bad. 

The play calling was terrible all game long. 

Meanwhile, if our receivers make 5 catches in the first half instead of 5 drops, we go up 2 TD's early and win this game easy.  We aren't a running team, our backup OL is overwhelmed.  We are a passing team, and our brilliant QB is making things work and throwing 300 yards a game to a terrible group of WR's because Enunwa and Herndon haven't played all season.  When Anderson and Crowder don't contribute, we have no offense.  Welcome to last Sunday.

Stop ignoring the injuries just so you can hear yourself whine. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

The Jets are no different than any other sh*tty team in this league getting down ON THE ROAD!

Look what happened to Oakland at Metfile when they were down. Jets @ Miami, Jets @ Jax, Jets @ Cincy. Each game had its huge mistakes that led to getting behind. This team isn't good enough (especially the Oline) to drop back & pass 50 times, when the opposing team knows they have to pass. Every Gase hater believes somehow ( How? I don't know), that this Jet team is more talented than it is? It's not. We need better players....PERIOD! We need our injured players back. Avery, Mosely, Herndon & every other role player on injured reserve. We need competent CBs, we need pass rushers, an entire new Oline (every starter I see a backup), we literally have MAYBE 5 above average players & our best defender Mosely is hurt. 

+1000

Preach it, Brother Jetster.

What's going on here is that the Same Ol' Jets Fan Victim's Brigade needs to hear themselves whine about the owner, the stadium, the head coach, the PSL's, just anything so that they have a reason to hate themselves.  They were miserable when we won 3 in a row, they don't know what to do with themselves when something in their lives is working.  So they are thrilled we got throttled in Cincinnati.  They're only happy when we lose.

But then they run into normal people with rational expectations of an injured roster and, no, it has to be us that are the problem.  Because by being objective about our coach and record we are keeping them from being miserable. 

SAR I

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Stop ignoring the injuries just so you can hear yourself whine. 

SAR I

You said the NY Jets were making the playoffs STOP the nonsense just to hear yourself grandstand and justify your investment and so called allegiance to the team. 

NY Jets become first team in NFL history to lose to two 0-7 or worse teams in a season. 

Adam Gase has been just as bad as Todd Bowles if not worse.(never thought I would ever say that) 

Please let Adam Gase and the NY Jets organization know this next advisory committee meeting. 

Football is team sport the game is lost on all sides of the ball losing to the 0-11 Bengals was the low point of our season we are the most inconsistent team in the NFL. 

Sorry the truth hurts. 

Want some cheese with my whine. 

Done discussing this nonsense. 

joewilly12

20 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Jr4al4.gif

18 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

If you do not watch all the games , you can not be " FAN " . Change your name . how about ROADKILL ? 

I wasnt going to respond,  but since you antagonized me for a second time...

I drove 8 hours from Denver to Arrowhead to see opening day in 2005.  I drove over 9 hours on some icy roads from Northern Michigan to Pittsburgh for the AFCCG in 2010. I was also at the AFCCG in '98 at Old Mile High Stadium. I have been to Jet games in all of the stadiums in Florida.  I have seen the Jets in Cleveland.  I have been to a game in Detroit.  I saw them in Indianapolis.   I saw them in Houston.  I was at the draft in Dallas when they selected Sam Darnold.  I have the right to call myself "RoadFan."

I am 41.  I hardly missed a snap for over 20 something years.  I have been watching the team regularly since I was old enough to sit in front of a television.  This team has sucked recently, and is not worth my time every week.  I spend time fishing and with my wife.   Far more rewarding than the pile of crap the Jets trot out on Sundays.

If you have anything else snarky to say... by all means, have at it.  My next response will be the ignore button.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I wasnt going to respond,  but since you antagonized me for a second time...

I drove 8 hours from Denver to Arrowhead to see opening day in 2005.  I drove over 9 hours on some icy roads from Northern Michigan to Pittsburgh for the AFCCG in 2010. I was also at the AFCCG in '98 at Old Mile High Stadium. I have been to Jet games in all of the stadiums in Florida.  I have seen the Jets in Cleveland.  I have been to a game in Detroit.  I saw them in Indianapolis.   I was at the draft in Dallas when they selected Sam Darnold.  I have the right to call myself "RoadFan."

I hardly missed a snap for nearly 20 years.  This team has sucked recently, and is not worth my time every week.  I spend time fishing and with my wife.   Far more rewarding than the pile of crap the Jets trot out on Sundays.

If you have anything else snarky to say... by all means, have at it.  My next response will be the ignore button.

Amazing isn't is it how fans like you and I have to prove ourselves to others who think they are above and beyond everyone else who roots for this team. 

I thought we were all in this together and no one was better than anyone else.  

joewilly12

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Amazing isn't is it how fans like you and I have to prove ourselves to others who think they are above and beyond everyone else who roots for this team. 

I thought we were all in this together and no one was better than anyone else. 

Society in general really sucks. 

joewilly12

Well... you're right.

But if you recall, I made a big adjustment to my attitude around here after being banned.  I am not in a position to be too critical of others.  

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Well... you're right.

But if you recall, I made a big adjustment to my attitude around here after being banned.  I am not in a position to be too critical of others.  

I agree and we all need to get along and stop fighting otherwise this forum is unreadable.

Theres just some things that need to be said, not meant to harm or hurt just to wake certain people up. 

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

You said the NY Jets were making the playoffs STOP the nonsense just to hear yourself grandstand and justify your investment and so called allegiance to the team. 

Before we were injured!  When we thought Trevor Simean could win a couple of games until Darnold's month was over.  When we thought CJ Mosely would be out a few weeks, not the whole year. 

I have no "investment" in this team.  Good God, I spent the money 11 years ago!  Do you know how much money I've spent on pizza in the last 11 years?  It's more than my PSL outlay, trust me.  You cry over pizza money, bro?

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Adam Gase has been just as bad as Todd Bowles if not worse.(never thought I would ever say that) 

You are out of your mind.  Bill Parcells couldn't have done better than 1-7 with that crappy injured/sick roster that Gase was dealt.

And since getting his quarterback back?  He's 4-4.  He's won 3 of his last 4 games!

Stop being a SOJF idiot.  I expect more from you.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Before we were injured!  When we thought Trevor Simean could win a couple of games until Darnold's month was over.  When we thought CJ Mosely would be out a few weeks, not the whole year. 

I have no "investment" in this team.  Good God, I spent the money 11 years ago!  Do you know how much money I've spent on pizza in the last 11 years?  It's more than my PSL outlay, trust me.  You cry over pizza money, bro?

You are out of your mind.  Bill Parcells couldn't have done better than 1-7 with that crappy injured/sick roster that Gase was dealt.

And since getting his quarterback back?  He's 4-4.  He's won 3 of his last 4 games!

SAR I

I cry over pizza money bro. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Im entitled to my opinions just like you are yours. 

The NFL is about winning. 

Im good just angry about not making the playoffs again and the piss poor performance against an 0-11 team. 

joewilly12