YOU own the NYJ. What actions do you take on 12/30/19 ?

Kleckineau

21 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

You make fair points but remember I describe my idea as fantasy in the first post. Having said that 8 figures and and some ownership to build what would essentially be an expansion team after a 100% purge and YOU as the interviewer and the non-meddlesome owner could prove tempting to someone looking to cement themselves as one of the greats.

It is a nice fantasy.  Not the same as I had when I was 13, but I digress.  The one thing I will say is that Ozzie Newsome has already cemented himself as one of the greats at least twice.  I doubt he could be bothered to do it again.

6 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Lets hear what you would do if you owned the team after another year of futility. One in which we witnessed the horrible results free agent signings, another very questionable 1st round draft pick and a CS that couldnt coach its way out of a paper bag and the gut punch of watching Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen take their teams into serious contention (LJ, superbowl contender JA, AFCE contender after they beat the Pats).

My fantasy?

On 12/30 I offer Ozzie Newsome a 10 year 100 million dollar contract and also a minority share of the team. I also agree to remain a 1000% hands off owner.

Ozzie is still young enough for one last big challenge.

If he accepts I fire every single coach, (Gase may be the worst since Kotitie) show Joe Douglas the door (he may be ok but you cant hire Ozzie and keep him) and dump the scouting dept.

Let Newsome build this thing like it is an expansion team from the ground up.

Of course its a dream but money and ownership speaks very loudly so who knows....

Your ideas??

So...

• finish eating the final year of the Bowles extension
  • finish eating the final year of the Maccagnan extension
  • eat 3 more years of Gase
  • eat 5 more years of Douglas before he's allowed to go through his first spring FA period or first draft
  • Fully guarantee $100MM for Newsome, from age 64-73, without his righthand man of the last ~15 years
  • plus share of ownership of a $3-4BN team?

This is not a good idea. As a friend, my advice to you, should you ever come to own the team, is to let your wife run it. :rl: 

• Post of the Week 2

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

First hire a Pres of Operations to control EVERYTHING. Then....Fire Gase and everyone else and hire the best available HC and there should be some who'd be willing to work in NY with Sam since he's an attractive piece to have for an up and coming HC.  Next.....Trades.....  QW for a 1st, Adams for a 1st (if not more take the 1st, Bell for whatever you can get say a 3rd to clear his salary off the books.  Right there you've got 3 # 1 picks to go along with the other picks to redo this pathetic roster.  With the picks, you can get a #1 WR prospect, an edge, a RB and another OL and a CB with the first 5 picks.  FA...sign 3 top OL and a #1 CB. We have a boatload of cash to use in FA. 

Those moves aren't clearing salary.  They are probably raising it.  Bell, Williams and Adams all had bonuses that would accelerate if you move them.  It's going to cost money in the short term.  

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

How, specifically, do you isolate a coach from the talent?  Gase hasn't shown me that he's a good head coach, but he hasn't shown me that he's a bad one either.  He's shown me that he can lose with a losing roster.  As I've said before, I think there's coaches on both ends of the spectrum, but for the bulk of these guys, they're a product of their rosters.  Schotty is a great example of this.  When Schotty was here, Jets fans arguments against him essentially distilled down to the idea that he didn't understand how 1st downs worked.  Now, he's the OC for a top 5 offense.  Did Schotty suddenly learn to coach, or are the Russell Wilson led Seahawks meaningfully better than the Mark Sanchez led Jets.  And, even if you want to make the argument that Schotty did suddenly learn to coach, why have two top tier QBs, Rivers and Brees, credited him with helping them reach their level of success.

I think the key to much of this is how these guys get along.  Do they respect one another?  Do they speak the same language?  Can the coach understand what it takes to make the QB thrive?  Some QBs will never truly thrive.  <cough><cough> Mark Sanchez.  Some need more specific help than others, but the relationship is often more important than the plays.  

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Those moves aren't clearing salary.  They are probably raising it.  Bell, Williams and Adams all had bonuses that would accelerate if you move them.  It's going to cost money in the short term.  

I was strictly referring  to  clearing Bell’s salary. Cut Beach and Winters and that’s additional salary that can be used for better means.

7 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Lets hear what you would do if you owned the team after another year of futility. One in which we witnessed the horrible results free agent signings, another very questionable 1st round draft pick and a CS that couldnt coach its way out of a paper bag and the gut punch of watching Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen take their teams into serious contention (LJ, superbowl contender JA, AFCE contender after they beat the Pats).

My fantasy?

On 12/30 I offer Ozzie Newsome a 10 year 100 million dollar contract and also a minority share of the team. I also agree to remain a 1000% hands off owner.

If he accepts I fire every single coach, (Gase may be the worst since Kotitie) show Joe Douglas the door (he may be ok but you cant hire Ozzie and keep him) and dump the scouting dept.

Of course its a dream but money and ownership speaks very loudly so who knows....

Your ideas??

I sell and run like hell

15 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I was strictly referring  to  clearing Bell’s salary. Cut Beach and Winters and that’s additional salary that can be used for better means.

Not sure if you get it.  You are costing us cap space with these moves.  Trading Quinnen Williams accelerates his bonus and we would be on the hook for like $16.5M for 2020, to save his like $4M in salary.  Clearing Bell's salary probably costs us cap, but I am not sure if his guarantees are salary/roster bonus (which will net less in a deal) or signing bonus which will eat 2020 cap.  Who is Beach?  Beachum?  You aren't going to save salary there because 1. you can't cut someone that isn't under contract, and 2.  whatever below average LT you sign is going to cost considerably more. 

Fire Gase. Fire Joe D. Bring in Mangini and Tanny to be the GM team.  Mangini picks the players and Tanny works the contracts and cap.  Bring in Rex as the HC.  Ask Rex to pick an OC that he trusts to run the offense. Get Joe Namath some Flexall 454 an ask him if he wants his old job back. 

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I don't know if Adam Gase would build an offense around Lamar Jackson, because Adam Gase doesn't have Lamar Jackson.

Today, the 2019 Jets, it really doesn't matter who the coach is.  I said this before Gase was even hired, so it's not about defending Gase at all.  I'm not a Gase supporter any more than I was a Bowles supporter.  I'm a, Macc did such an exceptionally bad job that there's no coach saving this team.

I think it's also silly to say that we had the same talent on offense as the past few years.  Our offensive line is worse, our QB has more raw talent, but isn't as seasoned at the position as the past QBs, and our WRs are worse.  We upgraded the one position that's almost fully reliant on the offensive line, and you're seeing why that wasn't a good idea.

Anyway, if I'm wrong... Explain Schotty's current success, please.

5 wins is about what I imagined this team would have this year.  Here we are.  Most of the non-homers here predicted a max of around 7 wins.  Now people are killing the coach for winning essentially how many games they thought the team would win in the first place.

Oh well if we’re just going to accept below average coaching, then by all means. 

Don't change too much.  This team is very good, far ahead of the rebuild, we're on track to win the division next season.  If God stole our health this year he's going to give it back to us next year.

Keep the core, build the OL through the draft, go FA to get two playmaking WR's and a CB, sign a legitimate K, and that's about it.

SAR I

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So...

• finish eating the final year of the Bowles extension
  • finish eating the final year of the Maccagnan extension
  • eat 3 more years of Gase
  • eat 5 more years of Douglas before he's allowed to go through his first spring FA period or first draft
  • Fully guarantee $100MM for Newsome, from age 64-73, without his righthand man of the last ~15 years
  • plus share of ownership of a $3-4BN team?

This is not a good idea. As a friend, my advice to you, should you ever come to own the team, is to let your wife run it. :rl: 

Thanks for the wet blanket of reality. 

Let the wife run it? Which one?  :rl:

He hired Joe Douglas and Adam Gase, let them go to work.  It's not as bad as it seems, there was a lot of bad luck this year.  I wouldn't expect 2 straight injury plagued seasons.  Hey to work on that OL, maybe hire a new training staff?  We still need corners and weapons on O.  There's no reason this team cannot be a playoff team next year. If Joe Douglas is the man we've heard so much about he'll be able to patch up enough of our holes to get that done.

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

Don't change too much.  This team is very good, far ahead of the rebuild, we're on track to win the division next season.  If God stole our health this year he's going to give it back to us next year.

Keep the core, build the OL through the draft, go FA to get two playmaking WR's and a CB, sign a legitimate K, and that's about it.

SAR I

Edge Rusher? 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Not sure if you get it.  You are costing us cap space with these moves.  Trading Quinnen Williams accelerates his bonus and we would be on the hook for like $16.5M for 2020, to save his like $4M in salary.  Clearing Bell's salary probably costs us cap, but I am not sure if his guarantees are salary/roster bonus (which will net less in a deal) or signing bonus which will eat 2020 cap.  Who is Beach?  Beachum?  You aren't going to save salary there because 1. you can't cut someone that isn't under contract, and 2.  whatever below average LT you sign is going to cost considerably more. 

Ok didn’t know about the bonus stuff payouts but still JD this needs to take drastic measures to improve and balance this pathetic roster and place emphasis on key positions such as WR, CB and OL. QW is a Leo clone. Move forward now before investing anymore in him. As for Adams, I’m sick of his schtick. He’s the best asset we got right now to improve the OL.

Fire Everyone ... Move team to St Louis ... Hire Jim Harbaraugh as GM and Buy Josh McDaniels ... Then sell team move myself to the antarctic and freeze myself in hopes of global warming thawing out around the time the NYJ are any good so I can watch and wonder how they improved.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Fire Everyone ... Move team to St Louis ... Hire Jim Harbaraugh as GM and Buy Josh McDaniels ... Then sell team move myself to the antarctic and freeze myself in hopes of global warming thawing out around the time the NYJ are any good so I can watch and wonder how they improved.

Go watch the Irishman again. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

An edge rusher helps the secondary out on pass plays. 

joewilly12 

Yes, but so too does a blitzing safety or LB. And cheaper. I don’t want to spend a lot on D. It’s an O league and we have an O head coach and, finally, a franchise QB. 

SAR I

On 12/13/2019 at 11:30 AM, TeddEY said:

I'm saying that Gase isn't the problem.  Macc blowing 5 consecutive drafts, and doing even worse in free agency, while criminally neglecting the offensive line, is the problem.

I'm saying that the roster is the problem, and there's not a coach out there that would compete with this roster.  As far as HCs are concerned, the genius de jour is whoever's team is talented and hot that season.  I'm not hearing McVay or Pederson in that way anymore.  The only genius who's stood the test of time is belichick, and he's a rampant cheater.  If Joe Douglas does a great job, Adam Gase, or whomever is the coach when this mess is cleaned up, will be the genius coach of the NYJ.

Are you kidding me? Have you seen the rook QBs go off and win games this year? Adam gase is not a good coach.

Let's Joe D do his job, and let him pick a HC. If he wants Gase to stay ok. But he should be able to make the call.

On 12/13/2019 at 7:23 AM, Kleckineau said:

My fantasy?

Your ideas??

Great post man. By the way

I dont see how we benefit from firing Gase

Darnold would have to learn a 3rd offense in his third year and we would have to get players that now benefit this new coaches style.

Keep Gase. Atleast one more year. Get Darnold an O-Line by any means. The offense actually looks good when we can block. Draft a WR, one that can bump Robby and Enunwa down the depth chart. Draft or sign a CB to play alongside Bless. Resign Poole.

Get our star players back healthy and we are a playoff team.

• Upvote 1

On 12/13/2019 at 10:23 AM, Kleckineau said:

My fantasy?

Your ideas??

So you're going to be a hands off owner. Your first move is to bring in a new owner/president and then YOU fire everyone including the GM.

A hands off owner would hand the guy the keys and let him decide what he wants to keep.

What a terrible movie. Sorry guys but that was crap.

And the whole creepy face stuff..c'mon.

I wanted to like it more than I did. I felt myself feeling more depressed watching old guys look young but still acting/moving old. (No fault of their own ... They ARE old)

• Upvote 1