Larry David told Jets GM to draft Lamar Jackson in 2018

4 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

The New York Jets would be in prettyyy, prettyyyyy, prettyyy good shape if Larry David called the shots in their 2018 draft.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/larry-david-claims-he-told-jets-gm-to-draft-lamar-jackson-in-2018/ar-BBYIGq0?ocid=spartandhp

“I did call Mike Maccagnan before the 2018 draft, and I recommended that he draft Lamar Jackson. I have a witness.”

David said that Maccagnan gave him a condescending response.

“He kinda gave me the most condescending… He laughed at me.”

Here’s the full interview:

Larry David visits The Michael Kay Show and discusses some New York sports. #TMKSonYES

Embedded video

This would be a non story if Macc would have answered my phone call prior to the 2017 draft, and drafted Mahomes.

4 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

The New York Jets would be in prettyyy, prettyyyyy, prettyyy good shape if Larry David called the shots in their 2018 draft.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/larry-david-claims-he-told-jets-gm-to-draft-lamar-jackson-in-2018/ar-BBYIGq0?ocid=spartandhp

“I did call Mike Maccagnan before the 2018 draft, and I recommended that he draft Lamar Jackson. I have a witness.”

Larry David visits The Michael Kay Show and discusses some New York sports. #TMKSonYES

Embedded video

So did I and I have a tweet to the NYJETS as witness lol!!

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im glad that he ended up in a great situation so we're able to enjoy what he's capable of. There are alot of talent in this league that gets flushed down the toilet by terrible franchises. 

I remember just this past weekend when watching the Saints/Vikings game how we were all talking about how Demario Davis is a 1st team All Pro.

This is a guy who was drafted by Rex Ryan and compared him to a young Ray Lewis. Now granted, he's not legendary to that degree, but in terms of potential Rex was right on the money. Imagine what Davis career would have been had he not been drafted by the Jets then sent to the Browns and then sent back to the Jets over his first 6 years in the league? 

And dont get me wrong, it wasnt like he was bad, we all seen what he was capable of when he came back to the Jets in 2017 only for Macc to let the man walk out the door a 2nd time. 

He goes to a team with talent, a winning spirit and much better head coaching and he went from being on the cusp of being a probowler, to being a 1st team all pro, essentially saying that you're a top 3 player at your position in the entire league. 

Lamar Jackson wouldnt be MVP of this league as a Jet, he wouldnt be a probowler either. We'd be having constant conversation about how "Macc traded up to the 3rd spot giving up multiple 2nd rounders in order to draft a runningback". 

Just look at how this offseason went. Until shown otherwise, I for damn sure cannot say with a straight face that I trust ownership or the folks that ownership has either hired or allowed to be hired because everyone hired was hired through some ridiculous level of dysfunctional desperation.

Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if we drafted defense in the 1st round lol. 

If we draft DEF in the first round. Im pretty sure that is the worst. 

Even if for whatever reason it really was the best pick for the team, in that I can not imagine how, but lets just say yeah it really is the best pick for us and everyone agree's 100 percent...

JD still can not do it. He has to go Off this year. Has to.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

While Larry’s instincts on Lamar as a player were good, unfortunately he would be horrible if we drafted him.

He’s on one of the best teams, top to bottom, front office, coaching, roster. We wouldn’t have had the structure or roster to help Lamar succeed. He needs a very specific system that obviously works well. We wouldn’t have had the OL, run game, or coaching to foster that.

Like Mahomes I do t think Lamar would have been as good here

I saw Lamar in his last year at Louisville playing behind a bad OL running for his life it would have been the same here plus he’d have two idiots Bowles and Gase coaching him

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

If we draft DEF in the first round. Im pretty sure that is the worst. 

Even if for whatever reason it really was the best pick for the team, in that I can not imagine how, but lets just say yeah it really is the best pick for us and everyone agree's 100 percent...

JD still can not do it. He has to go Off this year. Has to.

This looks like an offense heavy draft at top

Cuz Larry David is some football genius. Does he really think that he knew then how good Lamar would be? No one knew, in fact at least half of the teams out there were asking if he would be willing to transition to WR because they did not think he was going to be a good QB. Baltimore decided that the gamble was worth it, so much so that they were willing to revamp the entire offensive system to fit Lamar. So far the Ravens look like genius' and it has paid off very well for them. But I guess LD felt the need to toot his own horn about his football acumen. Thanks Larry, what would we do without you? 

You'll never hear about the guy who endorsed drafting Hackenberg though.
Exactly....GMs hear endorsements for every player in the draft practically....but only the ones that ended up being right bring it up after the fact.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cuz Larry David is some football genius. Does he really think that he knew then how good Lamar would be? No one knew, in fact at least half of the teams out there were asking if he would be willing to transition to WR because they did not think he was going to be a good QB. Baltimore decided that the gamble was worth it, so much so that they were willing to revamp the entire offensive system to fit Lamar. So far the Ravens look like genius' and it has paid off very well for them. But I guess LD felt the need to toot his own horn about his football acumen. Thanks Larry, what would we do without you? 

Larry David >>> Macc
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Like Mahomes I do t think Lamar would have been as good here

I saw Lamar in his last year at Louisville playing behind a bad OL running for his life it would have been the same here plus he’d have two idiots Bowles and Gase coaching him

So then it’s all irrelevant. And people call me a defeatist lol

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I remember what Bill Polian was trying to do. This was around the time Lamar was also not going to run the 40 as well as confirming that his mom would be his agent. 

People took this guy for a moron while also making fun of the way he talked. 

Not only did Lamar end up being absolutely correct with betting on himself (and his mom) but he's a humble guy and a class act. 

I love the fact that he's literally owning every doubter within the entire football world with his play. 

Yup! Hope the Ravens win it all!

On 1/8/2020 at 10:43 AM, Kleckineau said:

Embedded video

So, are you saying that we should be heeding advice from celebrities now?... Because that would be ReLy SmAhT.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:38 AM, Villain The Foe said:

Im glad Lamar Jackson didnt have the misfortune to be drafted by this terrible franchise. 

And now the league doesnt even know how to freaking stop this kid and are running scared half to death.

Getting more specific: Lamar is lucky he didn't get drafted by this terrible ownership. As the Johnson Bros increasingly put their stamp on the Jets post Parcells/Parcells' Jets Tree, so has the franchise gone down the tubes ...

Jackson has been unbelievable. But Cleveland (a few other teams I'm guessing) slowed him down a bit twice - and playoff football is a whole different animal. Let's see how things shake out this weekend and beyond. Also: on Tuesday talking with some friendly Pats fans while on winter holiday in deep Pats country, I mentioned something many have thought and said: while Jackson is built like a tank - there's some major Ronnie-Lott type hit, knocking him in to next week awaiting him. It brings me no joy saying that, but simple math dictates any RB (what Jackson is when he runs the ball) eventually sustains some devastating blows. Not to mention the overall toll RBs' bodies take. Yes he doesn't get hit like traditional RBs nor carry it 25 times a game - but math is math.

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So he was 1/2 on QB projections.

That's a far better rate than our last 3 GMs.  

I dunno if he's 1 for 2 yet tho. Lamar hasnt done it 3 years in a row. We have seen too many QBs have 1 great year - then the league adjusts - and they taper off. We'll see about Lamar. Right now I see a scheme he's playing great in. I dont see a great passer. Time will tell. 

3 minutes ago, Barton said:

I dunno if he's 1 for 2 yet tho. Lamar hasnt done it 3 years in a row. We have seen too many QBs have 1 great year - then the league adjusts - and they taper off. We'll see about Lamar. Right now I see a scheme he's playing great in. I dont see a great passer. Time will tell. 

That's fair, but even if he falls off, a late first rounder (or even in our case, # 3 or # 6) on a guy that leads you to the # 1 seed in the AFC is still pretty good.  

We haven't been the # 1 seed....ever, right?  The closest we've been was 1998.  Hell, we only have 2 Division Titles since the Merger.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not like I went way off the reservation to mention Macc.  This thread is about a celebrity telling him who to pick, lol.  

Its more about any celebrity telling any NFL FO personnel what they should or shouldn't do... Stay in your lane. How good or bad Mac picked is fairly irrelevant to my response. Hence over it dead horse GIF

right now jackson is playing lights out because of his running ability.  take that away and he's worse than mccown (well, maybe not that bad).  this is his first full season and it takes time for the defenses to learn how to play him.  it's going to be interesting to see if any of the ravens' playoff opponents manage to contain jackson.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

right now jackson is playing lights out because of his running ability.  take that away and he's worse than mccown (well, maybe not that bad).  this is his first full season and it takes time for the defenses to learn how to play him.  it's going to be interesting to see if any of the ravens' playoff opponents manage to contain jackson.

LJ has a 66% completion pct, throws for 36 TDs vs 6 int's and you want to say he's worse than McCown .....really?  Shameful comparison without any basis in reality.

• Sympathy 1