The QB position has evolved. The future is here now.

31 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Mahomes and Watson finished their third seasons. Jackson and Allen their second.

They're all getting better. Nobody is close to catching up to them.

I mean you are assuming alot and the fact remains, besides Mahomes, those guys you've mentioned have had terrible playoff/game performances against traditional defenses. Defensive players and defenses evolve as well.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah, ok, but what's your point? If it's that these QBs are protected more by the rules, sure, I a gree. That's only going to make these guys more prevalent, which was MY point.

BTW I'm sure I'm at least as old as you. I remember Namath playing at Alabama, LOL.

So if you are my age how do you actually enjoy this kind of football. For me I rather watch the Jets of old play the Oakland Raiders or watch the 49ers versus the Cowboys in the 1980's.  The over all play of today's game is really not good and these playoff games can't compare with old classic playoff games of the past.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, yvj said:

I mean you are assuming alot, and the fact remains, besides Mahomes, those guys you've mentioned have had terrible playoff/game performances against traditional defenses. Defensive players and defenses evolve as well.

Oh, yeah. They've been horror shows so far in their careers... said nobody ever.

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

Agree. Obviously would rather Mahomes, Watson etc but luckily Sam is mobile. Gase needs to take advantage of that and let him roll out and move around more

Agreed.  I’m happy what we got.  Now it’s time to learn from other teams and build around him. No WB can do it alone 

25 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

What's old is new again? ? Like I said a few posts back, they were outliers. That won't be the case much longer.

Someone mentioned Burrow, and Lawrence runs well too. The Ohio State QB is another, but many more will follow, and quickly.

Being able to run well does not make you in and of itself a running QB... Both Burrows & Lawrence look to throw 1st & run only as a last resort or if it presents itself as the best option... (Throw 1st... run second / third)

Joe Namath was famed for his running ability in Alabama... but he was better known for his passing.... his running is what led him to have a shortened career after destroying his knees.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

So if you are my age how do you actually enjoy this kind of football. For me I rather watch the Jets of old play the Oakland Raiders or watch the 49ers versus the Cowboys in the 1980's.  The over all play of today's game is really not good and these playoff games can't compare with old classic playoff games of the past.  

We are talking about two different subjects, Tony.

I started this thread because I think the QB position, and the way it will be played is changing I never said a word about whether it was for the better or not.

You're talking about the quality of play, and I think rule changes. 

We are talking about two different subjects, Tony.

I started this thread because I think the QB position, and the way it will be played is changing I never said a word about whether it was for the better or not.

You're talking about the quality of play, and I think rule changes. 

But that is what makes the QB better.  They could now not get hit and yeah they run out of the pocket and slide down. Do that in past decades and you are still getting hit.  This game today changes the way you look at these QBS. I am sorry to inform you but these two subjects are connected. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Being able to run well does not make you in and of itself a running QB... Both Burrows & Lawrence look to throw 1st & run only as a last resort or if it presents itself as the best option... (Throw 1st... run second / third)

Joe Namath was famed for his running ability in Alabama... but he was better known for his passing.... his running is what led him to have a shortened career after destroying his knees.

How can you compare the position to back when Namath played at Bama?

The rules have changed incredibly since then. Hell, what would have happened to Joe if he tried to slide feet first to "give himself up?" LOL

These guys are protected  lot more when they take off to run.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

But that is what makes the QB better.  They could now not get hit and yeah they run out of the pocket and slide down. Do that in past decades and you are still getting hit.  This game today changes the way you look at these QBS. I am sorry to inform you but these two subjects are connected. 

What you just said is basically what this thread is about. The position is changing, yes.

Before you were talking about the quality of the games, back in the day. At least that's what I thought you were doing. If I'm mistaken, I'm sorry.

6 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I have some Jim Zorn chipotle dip, would you like to try some?

Look I get it. But you and guys like @Vader are missing the point.

Sure we can all name running QBs. We can go back over 50 years and come up with them.

The point is, when have you seen such a concentration of them drafted in a 3 year period? Not to mention all the ones who will be drafted in the next few years? C'mon, it's easy to go for the clever one liner, but you really aren't noticing this happening?

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

What you just said is basically what this thread is about. The position is changing, yes.

Before you were talking about the quality of the games, back in the day. At least that's what I thought you were doing. If I'm mistaken, I'm sorry.

You seem to not get it.  You are saying these QB evolved. I am saying they were here in the 1970s with Tarkenton, Staubach, Manning and even Bradshaw. Than in the 1980's with Montana, Bert Jones, Randall Cunningham, and Elway and 90s with Favre, Elway, and Steve Young.  So what I am saying the Quality of the game with these rule changes has changed the game and these QB's are getting credit for it.  And yeah the Quality of the game has changed. You worrying about how you tackle someone.  I don't understand how you are not understanding this. Ask any old football player and they would say exactly what I am stating. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

How can you compare the position to back when Namath played at Bama?

The rules have changed incredibly since then. Hell, what would have happened to Joe if he tried to slide feet first to "give himself up?" LOL

These guys are protected  lot more when they take off to run.

I agree with you.... my contention is most running QB's are not good passing QB's... whereas most mobile QB's are Good passing QB's... I know most here love him but Lamar throws a wounded duck & has terrible throwing mechanics... if he he doesn't make a concerted effort to improve that & continues to try to run as much as he does he will not last long in the league it doesn't matter how much they try to protect him...

One of the BEST mobile QB's which most here will not even think of is Dan Marino... mobile doesn't necessarily mean running downfield with the ball... Marino would move in the pocket ever so slightly & with his quick release (ala Namath) he would rarely get sacked.

Remembering Dan Marino’s incredible streak of 759 passes without a sack

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 12, 2018, 1:26 PM EST
gettyimages-72378103-e1542046260434.jpg?
Getty Images

When we noted on Sunday that Colts quarterback Andrew Luck had completed his fourth consecutive game without a sack, we heard from some folks wondering if Luck was at or near an NFL record for games without a sack. And the answer is, No. Not even close.

Dan Marino owns the NFL record for consecutive games and consecutive passes without a sack, and no other quarterback before or since has ever even been in the same ballpark. Marino got sacked on September 25, 1988 in Indianapolis. He then played 19 consecutive games without getting sacked. He wasn’t sacked again until October 29, 1989 in Buffalo. Between sacks, he threw an incredible 759 passes.

To throw 759 passes without getting sacked is such an insane record that it looks like a typo. The team that has allowed the fewest sacks this year is the Saints, and Drew Brees has been sacked nine times while throwing 304 passes. Marino threw two and a half times that many passes and wasn’t sacked even once.

Marino was well known for his quick release during his time as the Dolphins’ quarterback, and he could get the ball out so quickly that opposing defenses never stood a chance. For 19 straight games, no one could bring him down.

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Sure we can all name running QBs. We can go back over 50 years and come up with them.

The point is, when have you seen such a concentration of them drafted in a 3 year period? Not to mention all the ones who will be drafted in the next few years? C'mon, it's easy to go for the clever one liner, but you really aren't noticing this happening?

You are missing our point methinks.

You said it was the 2nd iteration, the 2nd wave. It is not, it has been going on for decades.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

You seem to not get it.  You are saying these QB evolved. I am saying they were here in the 1970s with Tarkenton, Staubach, Manning and even Bradshaw. Than in the 1980's with Montana, Bert Jones, Randall Cunningham, and Elway and 90s with Favre, Elway, and Steve Young.  So what I am saying the Quality of the game with these rule changes has changed the game and these QB's are getting credit for it.  And yeah the Quality of the game has changed. You worrying about how you tackle someone.  I don't understand how you are not understanding this. Ask any old football player and they would say exactly what I am stating. 

Sorry, but you're right. I just don't "get it". I'm not trying to be a jerk, either.

I just don't see what the players you named, have to do with this changing of the way teams are now looking to draft for the QB position. Or the way these guys are succeeding. Of course they're protected by the rules more now then they were

Sure those guys were mobile, but was there ever a time when more then a couple played together? They were the exceptions, not the rule back then. Now, they would be part of the mainstream, and would be better, because of the "new rules".

I didn't even bring up names like Wilso, Jones, Rodgers and who knows who else I'm forgetting? Yeah, the rules have changed, so has the way the position is being played. Again, that's my point.

Sorry, but you're right. I just don't "get it". I'm not trying to be a jerk, either.

I just don't see what the players you named, have to do with this changing of the way teams are now looking to draft for the QB position. Or the way these guys are succeeding. Of course they're protected by the rules more now then they were

Sure those guys were mobile, but was there ever a time when more then a couple played together? They were the exceptions, not the rule back then. Now, they would be part of the mainstream, and would be better, because of the "new rules".

I didn't even bring up names like Wilso, Jones, Rodgers and who knows who else I'm forgetting? Yeah, the rules have changed, so has the way the position is being played. Again, that's my point.

One word.................................................Fear !!   That is why some QBS of the day did not run.  Today there isn't any.  The Zebras are their protectors. 

31 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

mahomes reminds me of a poor mans's john elway style of QB running 

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Mahomes plays like Young and Elway. Pass first run second. Everyone was saying it changed with Jackson playing the wildcat. Mahomes is a classic mobile QB. 

Yes. What makes Mahomes different from most of the others is that he can play in the pocket when he needs to and when he is forced out of the pocket he is still very accurate.