SI: Sign Of Development? Jets QB led NFL in key statistic

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You know what Darnold stat I found interesting from this year?  

Albeit a small sample, 45 throws, Darnold had a 71% completion %, 408 yards, 2 TDs 0 INT and 113 QB rating when running no huddle.  Much better than his "regular numbers".  I spot checked about 6 other NFL QBs and all were either very similar or worse from the No Huddle.

I have no what that means, if anything at all, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

What it means is that when they huddle all they talk about is how Great Jamal Adams is and Robbie Anderson is saying something but no-one understands it and Bell is pissed cause he lost a game of chess in 4 moves to the janitor and Darnold still can't figure out which girl game him mono or was it his aunt Betty and Harrison is pissed that some fat retired old white man took his job and got 8 mil for sucking so when the Jets Huddle its mass Confusion - also Gase ponders too long which of 5 or 6 plays he wants to run which takes forever so Darnold and Jets are just better off going no huddle and letting the defense decide which plan they run.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Darnold excellent, bad coaching and no line bad.

Good thing that Jamal has everything to do with Darnolds development.

We know he takes credit for everything to do with this team.

In practice Jamal reminds Sam that he plays madden (choosing the Jets) and Gets Sam 6 tds a game in ps4 so he reminds Darnold its possible in real life thanks to himself...

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You know what Darnold stat I found interesting from this year?  

Albeit a small sample, 45 throws, Darnold had a 71% completion %, 408 yards, 2 TDs 0 INT and 113 QB rating when running no huddle.  Much better than his "regular numbers".  I spot checked about 6 other NFL QBs and all were either very similar or worse from the No Huddle.

I have no what that means, if anything at all, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

This doesn't surprise me. This falls under the same categories as Sam does better on the move and Sam does better running play action, IMO. He does his best work when he has the chance to improvise. When he's making quick decisions. This is the challenge for the offensive genius Gase; he needs to design plays that allow Darnold to create on his own. 

Running the no-huddle is a great way to get the offense running uptempo, too. Instead of this incompletion on first, run into the OL on 2nd nonsense, just let Sam get to the line of scrimmage and take what the defense is giving him. Gase likes to heap praise on Darnold, he needs to convert that praise into trusting him on the field. 

I hope there's a ****-ton of self-scouting going on at One Jets Drive this winter. 

• Upvote 4

For those interested in the quality of Defenses we played over the final 8 games of 2019:

New York Giants - Ranked #25 in Defense, Tied for #25 in Defensive INT's (10), Sam threw 0 INT's.

Washington Redskins - Ranked #27 in Defense, Tied for #12 in Defensive INT's (13), Sam threw 1 INT.

Oakland Raiders - Ranked #19 in Defense, #29 in Defensive INT's (9), Sam threw 0 INT's.

Cincinnati Bengals - Ranked #29 in Defense, Tied for #22 in Defensive INT's (11), Sam threw 0 INT's.

Miami Dolphins - Ranked #30 in Defense, Tied for #12 in Defensive INT's (13), Sam threw 1 INT.

Baltimore Ravens - Ranked #4 in Defense, Tied for #12 in Defensive INT's (13), Sam threw 1 INT.

Pittsburgh Steelers - Ranked #5 in Defense, #2 in Defensive INT's (20), Sam threw 0 INT's.

Buffalo Bills - Ranked #3 in Defense, Tied for #8 in Defensive INT's (14), Sam threw 1 INT.

Looking at these numbers, they make sense. 

-Sam did not throw INT's vs. poor defenses that didn't generate alot of INT's in 2019 (Giants, Raiders, Bengals). 

-He threw 1 INT per game against most of the better INT generating teams (Redskins, Dolphins,, Ravens and Bills). 

The exception game is the Steelers, whose D was very good and good at generated INT's, but Sam threw none that day (the best of the wins in the stretch perhaps). 

A very good stretch in terms of throwing INT's for Sam.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

For those interested in the quality of Defenses we played over the final 8 games of 2019:

New York Giants - Ranked #25 in Defense, Tied for #25 in Defensive INT's (10), Sam threw 0 INT's.

Washington Redskins - Ranked #27 in Defense, Tied for #12 in Defensive INT's (13), Sam threw 1 INT.

Oakland Raiders - Ranked #19 in Defense, #29 in Defensive INT's (9), Sam threw 0 INT's.

Cincinnati Bengals - Ranked #29 in Defense, Tied for #22 in Defensive INT's (11), Sam threw 0 INT's.

Miami Dolphins - Ranked #30 in Defense, Tied for #12 in Defensive INT's (13), Sam threw 1 INT.

Baltimore Ravens - Ranked #4 in Defense, Tied for #12 in Defensive INT's (13), Sam threw 1 INT.

Pittsburgh Steelers - Ranked #5 in Defense, #2 in Defensive INT's (20), Sam threw 0 INT's.

Buffalo Bills - Ranked #3 in Defense, Tied for #8 in Defensive INT's (14), Sam threw 1 INT.

Looking at these numbers, they make sense. 

-Sam did not throw INT's vs. poor defenses that didn't generate alot of INT's in 2019 (Giants, Raiders, Bengals). 

-He threw 1 INT per game against most of the better INT generating teams (Redskins, Dolphins,, Ravens and Bills). 

The exception game is the Steelers, whose D was very good and good at generated INT's, but Sam threw none that day (the best of the wins in the stretch perhaps). 

A very good stretch in terms of throwing INT's for Sam.

This is now 2 seasons in a row where Sam has had a dramatically better second half of the year than the first half.  Unfortunately, while it's certainly a positive to get better as the year goes on, I think these happened for different reasons.  Last year was his rookie season and despite a good start (outside of the Pick-6) vs. Detroit he stumbled through the middle of the season with some poor games before having a chance to sit and watch while injured for about 3 weeks.  His return and his play in December 2018, was excellent and Darnold was rated one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL over that final month.

This year was different and a confluence of events (new offensive system, Mono, porous OLine) really made the first half of the year a complete sh!tshow for Darnold and the overall team (as evidenced by 1-7).  But Sam got his groove back over the final 8 games, I think the Line, while still lacking talent, did start to come together a little bit with some consistent personnel and play.  Darnold seemed to have finally gotten comfortable with the system and the story of him going to speak with Gase about doing more of what Darnold likes seemed to have helped.

I don't want to be a Kool-Aid drinker but almost all of the things responsible for Sam's poor first half of each season should be gone in 2020.  He will have...

1. A second season in the same offensive system for the first time in 4 years (USC, Bates, Gase....finally a repeat of the same system)

2. No more Mono

3. Significant experience now that he's played about 26 NFL games

4. Better talent around him simply because it cannot get much worse than he had in 2019 in terms of OLine, WRs, etc.

#GlassHalfFull

• Upvote 1

Overall, mostly positive progression from Year 1 to Year 2...

1796336919_ScreenShot2020-01-24at11_02_43AM.png.f8d6e2025edc3166a47a5588f9087e3d.png

TD's up, INTs down.  Completion % up, more 4th Q comebacks, more Game Winning Drives, more yards, more wins, more yards/game, etc.

Unfortunately, and this is news to nobody, Sacks were up.  So that tells you that Darnold's numbers improved in a season where his OLine play was worse than the previous year.  (These stats also include the abysmal New England game which really drags down a lot of these numbers)

All of the above took place in two seasons with the same number of games played, 13.  Sam is still just 22 years old.

• Upvote 2

On 1/23/2020 at 5:56 PM, slimjasi said:

I'm pretty sure this is wrong because I was told Darnold isn't good because he's from California and everyone from there is soft. 

For realz. 

Sam gets bashed so stupidly here

He’s basically the only reason jets fans have to be optimistic at all

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2020 at 12:06 PM, jetstream23 said:

1796336919_ScreenShot2020-01-24at11_02_43AM.png.f8d6e2025edc3166a47a5588f9087e3d.png

TD's up, INTs down.  Completion % up, more 4th Q comebacks, more Game Winning Drives, more yards, more wins, more yards/game, etc.

Unfortunately, and this is news to nobody, Sacks were up.  So that tells you that Darnold's numbers improved in a season where his OLine play was worse than the previous year.  (These stats also include the abysmal New England game which really drags down a lot of these numbers)

All of the above took place in two seasons with the same number of games played, 13.  Sam is still just 22 years old.

We upgrade the OL and WR Sam becomes an elite quarterback it’s that f ckin simple

On 1/24/2020 at 11:06 AM, jetstream23 said:

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

We upgrade the OL and WR Sam becomes an elite quarterback it’s that f ckin simple

It does seem like Sam has shown us he can do just about everything but needs just a little more protection and one or two better WRs that can turn some good passes into longer more explosive plays.