Mel Kiper mock 1.0

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Guard at this level. I’m with the few who also mentioned this.

He moves too well to pencil him in as a guard. He can definitely be a tackle at the next level.....don't believe all of the bullshlt people are spewing now. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Isn’t the consensus among the Jeremiah/NFL Network/Kiper-level guys that Wills is an exceptional pass blocker? 

Just watch him play and that will dispel these myths that are now a today thing. Buncha hacks and sheeple falling on their every word until they change it 3 days from now.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

How to make money as an internet/media fake-scout:

Evaluating a tackle? Cover your ass by saying he "might have to kick inside to guard."

Evaluating a cornerback? Cover your ass by saying he "might have to move to safety" or, if he's under 6'0", say "he's going to be a nickel guy."

Evaluating a tall wide receiver? Cover your ass by saying "he's not the quickest guy, but he'll help you in the red zone."

Evaluating a sub-6'0" wide receiver? Cover your ass by saying "he'll have to play in the slot."

Evaluating a defensive tackle? Cover your ass by saying he "has to work on his hand usage."

Evaluating an edge rusher? Cover your ass by saying he's "a little stiff, but has some bend."

Evaluating a quarterback? Cover your ass by repeating verbatim what every other draft analyst says about that quarterback.

This guy is a dynamic play making player but he might have to kick inside and just be a box safety only who just plays the run and blitzes from the edge on all passing downs.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

He moves too well to pencil him in as a guard. He can definitely be a tackle at the next level.....don't believe all of the bullshlt people are spewing now. 

Reason I say this is I was one of the few who thought Jonah Williams would make a great OT while everyone thought G and then he got moved right before the season ending injury. Just feels like a repeat. 

But i’ll say it once again, I’m very poor at evaluating OL talent. All I know to do is to go off you guys/past situations.

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

Just watch him play and that will dispel these myths that are now a today thing. Buncha hacks and sheeple falling on their every word until they change it 3 days from now.

It feels like the whole draft analysis industry is in crisis because of the seed funding that Thedraftnetwork.com landed. Those kids are absolute morons, but every Google search for a prospect’s draft eval leads back to TDN, so now the dimwit thoughts of peewee bloggers watching YouTube highlights has become the prevailing wisdom on these players. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Reason I say this is I was one of the few who thought Jonah Williams would make a great OT while everyone thought G and then he got moved right before the season ending injury. Just feels like a repeat. 

But i’ll say it once again, I’m very poor at evaluating OL talent. All I know to do is to go off you guys/past situations.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Jonah Williams was their starting LT when he hurt his shoulder. And as you probably know I always thought he could play tackle at the next level.

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It feels like the whole draft analysis industry is in crisis because of the seed funding that Thedraftnetwork.com landed. Those kids are absolute morons, but every Google search for a prospect’s draft eval leads back to TDN, so now the dimwit thoughts of peewee bloggers watching YouTube highlights has become the prevailing wisdom on these players. 

The bigger problem is that there aren't enough true prognosticators who actually put in the time and watch these kids. If I had too wager a guess I would say that 90% of the scouting reports out there were written by a person that never even watched that prospect play. They're lazy and have been for a long time now.

You have these so called esteemed draft gurus just wording a draft report different and people eat it up. Look no further than Wills. By watching his tape you can see he has elite movement skills and projects as a tackle at the next level......hell he just blocked for Tuas blindside at Bama. Some hack writes he's a guard......others follow.....and the minions eat it up. Another example is Matt Miller stating Thomas is falling and I'd wager a bet he's never watched him play. Just looking for clicks and the rest of them roll with it. It's been this way for a very long time now so I don't see it getting better. Add in the fact that this is the most gullible society since people were selling snake oil in the 1800's and you can see the proliferation of todays so called draft gurus.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony The Wiz said:

I Agree with you a 100% about these draft gurus. Now I don't call myself a Draft Guru but i do watch at least 25 College football games per week.  Since my injury from my job years ago this is my basic hobby. Always has since Joel Buchsbaum had his weekly Draft newspaper in the 1970's . I now, I watch every bowl game and even watch every FCS tournament game. And not to forget division 2 and 3 semifinals.  My sons think I am crazy taping 25 games on Saturday from 3 different Direct TV boxes.   So i really think I know something about these players. Now yes I am not there interviewing them or on the field watching them. But I TIVO some of their plays and try to break it down.  Now I do disagree with you on Wills. I watched three successive plays in the LSU game when he was not quick enough to block the edge.  Will he lose some weight and develop quicker feet when he goes to a Pro team.  Who Knows.  Now as a run blocker he is excellent.  I just feel that Wirfs would be a better option than Wills for the Jets.    

I don't consider myself even close to a draft expert but I will put in the time and watch tape on these kids because watching a game is not enough. It is IMPOSSIBLE to grade a kid by just watching a game....you need too watch them on every single play. It's why I don't give my opinion on tons of players and I feel confident on the ones that I do. You also have to know what you are looking at, and that is the reason you'll never see a scouting report on a CB from me. 

I appreciate someone like yourself that doesn't follow the trend, even if I rarely agree with you. I also watch tons of college football and have since the 80's. Joel Buschbaum must be rolling in his grave seeing what these hacks are doing right now. What's even worse is all of the people that treat these scouting reports like gospel and incessantly post them here. It's much worse with the younger crowd but it inflicts every age group......just spend a day reading JN.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I Agree with you a 100% about these draft gurus. Now I don't call myself a Draft Guru but i do watch at least 25 College football games per week.  Since my injury from my job years ago this is my basic hobby. Always has since Joel Buchsbaum had his weekly Draft newspaper in the 1970's . I now, I watch every bowl game and even watch every FCS tournament game. And not to forget division 2 and 3 semifinals.  My sons think I am crazy taping 25 games on Saturday from 3 different Direct TV boxes.   So i really think I know something about these players. Now yes I am not there interviewing them or on the field watching them. But I TIVO some of their plays and try to break it down.  Now I do disagree with you on Wills. I watched three successive plays in the LSU game when he was not quick enough to block the edge.  Will he lose some weight and develop quicker feet when he goes to a Pro team.  Who Knows.  Now as a run blocker he is excellent.  I just feel that Wirfs would be a better option than Wills for the Jets.    

I'm impressed!  I will have to be on the lookout for your draft analysis.  Have you had any good sleepers in recent drafts?

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm impressed!  I will have to be on the lookout for your draft analysis.  Have you had any good sleepers in recent drafts?

Last year on this board I did post my draft analysis. You could check my profile and history. I did post one evaluation on every position but QB.   I was pretty successful on my offensive line evaluation since my top 3 picks in each category was on the NFL Rookie team. My three top centers last year was Garrett Bradburry,  Eric McCoy and Elgton Jenkins and McCoy was voted best rookie center and Jenkins was one of the all rookie guards.  And my three top OT last year was Jonah Williams, Dalton Risener and Jawan Taylor.  Risener was voted all rookie guard and Jawan Taylor was all rookie OT.

I had a good year in just that evaluation. I did pretty good also on others.  

Just now, Tony The Wiz said:

Last year on this board I did post my draft analysis. You could check my profile and history. I did post one evaluation on every position but QB.   I was pretty successful on my offensive line evaluation since my top 3 picks in each category was on the NFL Rookie team. My three top centers last year was Garrett Bradburry,  Eric McCoy and Elgton Jenkins and McCoy was voted best rookie center and Jenkins was one of the all rookie guards.  And my three top OT last year was Jonah Williams, Dalton Risener and Jawan Taylor.  Risener was voted all rookie guard and Jawan Taylor was all rookie OT.

I had a good year in just that evaluation. I did pretty good also on others.  

Awesome!  I wish there was a way on this forum to follow your posts or something like that.  In any case, I'd like to see your Mel Kiper type analysis in the next few months.

How deep do the worthwhile OL go this year?  Can we get good ones in the 2nd and 3rd rounds?  (I'm assuming the 1st round will have something).

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Awesome!  I wish there was a way on this forum to follow your posts or something like that.  In any case, I'd like to see your Mel Kiper type analysis in the next few months.

How deep do the worthwhile OL go this year?  Can we get good ones in the 2nd and 3rd rounds?  (I'm assuming the 1st round will have something).

I stated that the Jets if available to take Tristan Wirfs of Iowa at Right Tackle. He just looks the part and pays the part of an all pro Right Tackle. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

To answer your question looking at the OT there just looks like two for now who have first round grade in my opinion. This can change after watching the Senior Bowl, Hula Bowl, and the NFL Combine. And for Centers and Guards there is one guard that is guaranteed first round material  and that is Wills, Jr. of Alabama. John Simpson and Ben Bredeson has a chance. And the Center position has a late 1st round prospect in Tyler Biadacz.  But there are bunch of centers right behind him. The centers are no where near the top centers of last year. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Actually there is if your interested.  Just click on his screen name to see all his recent posts.  I just did it to yours, it worked.  :)

5 hours ago, TNJet said:

Wills more of a run blocker/ G.

We need to secure the edges for Sam.

Actually, we need way more of an inside upgrade than outside. Beachum is adequate and there are upgrades at RT or LT in the free agent market.

So I couldn't disagree more about the focus on the outside vs. inside. Upgrading the inside is how great OLs are built. and it's the weakest area of the Jets OL.

13 minutes ago, SR24 said:

3 more months of this :( I hate how long it takes to get from week 16 to free agency and then the draft 

I guess you haven't been a Jets fan very long. This is the best time of the year and what we look forward to, when we come up short every year for the last 50 + years. If the Jets put out a winning team every year most of us wouldn't even care about the draft....but we're the Jets. Always a few drafts away.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RobR said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Jonah Williams was their starting LT when he hurt his shoulder. And as you probably know I always thought he could play tackle at the next level.

My mistake I was getting two different players and situations mixed up . I was thinking of the Center who moved to Guard for Chicago. Daniel James I believe.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Actually, we need way more of an inside upgrade than outside. Beachum is adequate and there are upgrades at RT or LT in the free agent market.

So I couldn't disagree more about the focus on the outside vs. inside. Upgrading the inside is how great OLs are built. and it's the weakest area of the Jets OL.

I'm boycotting Beachums old ass. Move on and upgrade the blindside, vital for Sam's future. 

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

My mistake I was getting two different players and situations mixed up . I was thinking of the Center who moved to Guard for Chicago. Daniel James I believe.

No worries, I was just pointing out his trajectory for the two or three posters here that are in complete denial about it(not you). 

20 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Who is Wills agent? If he’s s guy that feeds negotiation and other inside info to Kiper and McShay, the quid pro quo is them talking up and over rating a player or two for the agent.

I just posted some tape on Wills on the Draft Board so give it a look. 

46 minutes ago, RobR said:

I guess you haven't been a Jets fan very long. This is the best time of the year and what we look forward to, when we come up short every year for the last 50 + years. If the Jets put out a winning team every year most of us wouldn't even care about the draft....but we're the Jets. Always a few drafts away.

No don’t get me wrong I love the offseason. I just hate how the superbowls 2/2 and free agency doesn’t get rolling until like March 10th! The time between them just drags even worse than it’s already dragging now lol 

17 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

For all those mocking Kiper

if we would’ve just drafted off of his big board the last 10 years, we would’ve won a super bowl by now 

NFL GMs have at best a 50% hit rate in the draft and we judge them on the 7 picks they made which represent the prospects they were most confident in of all eligible players when they were on the clock.

Kiper makes public his opinion on every guy invited to combine and quite a few that were not. Like hundreds of players.

Uh yeah he’s gonna have some huge misses given how much analysis he puts out there.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m Gona have a Hard time swallowing us passing on Jeudy. Although we will get a quality starter at o line watching jeudy become the next Fitzgerald will be hard for me

Id go wr if the top 2 are there and the top 2 ol guys r gone IF our next 2 picks are OL

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

NFL GMs have at best a 50% hit rate in the draft and we judge them on the 7 picks they made which represent the prospects they were most confident in of all eligible players when they were on the clock.

Kiper makes public his opinion on every guy invited to combine and quite a few that were not. Like hundreds of players.

Uh yeah he’s gonna have some huge misses given how much analysis he puts out there.

Mel drafts better than the jets year after year

• Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How to make money as an internet/media fake-scout:

Evaluating a tackle? Cover your ass by saying he "might have to kick inside to guard."

Evaluating a cornerback? Cover your ass by saying he "might have to move to safety" or, if he's under 6'0", say "he's going to be a nickel guy."

Evaluating a tall wide receiver? Cover your ass by saying "he's not the quickest guy, but he'll help you in the red zone."

Evaluating a sub-6'0" wide receiver? Cover your ass by saying "he'll have to play in the slot."

Evaluating a defensive tackle? Cover your ass by saying he "has to work on his hand usage."

Evaluating an edge rusher? Cover your ass by saying he's "a little stiff, but has some bend."

Evaluating a quarterback? Cover your ass by repeating verbatim what every other draft analyst says about that quarterback.

How not to get screwed by the Patriots:

Evaluating a trade offer from Bill Belichick during the draft? COVER YOUR ASS because a Pats coach just walked into the same bathroom as you and his pants are down and he doesn't have to pee so your about to get fukked.