Does Joe Burrow pull an Elway/Eli?

Apache 51

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

So hypothetical scenario.  A likely #1 pick makes it clear he wants to live near a sick family member (assume this is well-documented, not a sham).  The #1 team in the draft is faced with a difficult decision.  Draft the kid and face the potential PR backlash, or maybe trade the pick under duress like SD did with the NYG (in a roundabout but effectively the same manner).

In no business outside of major sports, can an entire industry dictate what city you have to live in.  Sure some industries are concentrated in one or two cities, but you know that well ahead of getting involved.  But if you are becoming a professional football (or Basketball, etc.) player, you don't have another option like switching companies or even industries and you can't know where you will be forced to live until shortly before you start your career. 

I completely get how essential this is to maintain some semblance of competitive balance, but I can see the other side as well.  I can imagine that this may get tested more aggressively at some point in the future and it will be interesting to see if someone is able to mount an effective challenge.

You get drafted and paid, then move your sick family member to where you are, that was too easy! People work for companies that relocate them where they need them. Even to different countries. It is not that hard to understand.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

You get drafted and paid, then move your sick family member to where you are, that was too easy! People work for companies that relocate them where they need them. Even to different countries. It is not that hard to understand.

I was thinking a parent.  Most of these 21-year-old kids don't have their own families yet.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It would suck so hard to tank for a # 1 pick just to find out the top QB in the draft doesn't want to play for you.  I mean what do you do then?  Trade down then try again next year?

Lawrence is not a bad consolation prize plus you should be able to get a 2021 first to trade back. If the Begals drafted him and he refused to sign he would lose probably a million or more and would have to re-apply for 2021 draft so that isn't  likely.  

9 hours ago, slats said:

That might effect the league's antitrust exemption.

The owners already have way to much power over the players, and you're proposing more? Imagine being the most valuable player in college football and your reward is being assigned to the worst team in the NFL. Even with the financial compensation that comes with that, that's no picnic. If Joe Burrow sees Cincinnati as a burial ground, he'd be smart to do everything in his power to land himself somewhere else. 

Isn't  this what happens to every #1 overall pick every year? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

I agree. However, obviously it's great and all that an honor, privilege etc. but I would not want to go to Cincy. Look how it worked out for Manning and Elway.

The funny thing about the Eli situation, Rivers was arguably  the better QB. SD was just never able to put a great  O around Rivers at the same time as a solid D. His best reciever was TE. 

42 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The funny thing about the Eli situation, Rivers was arguably  the better QB. SD was just never able to put a great  O around Rivers at the same time as a solid D. His best reciever was TE. 

Nope. Rivers played with top 17 OLs for the majority of his career and played with a HoF TE and RB in the 5 years between ‘06-‘10 when the D was consistently in the top half of the league including finishing #1 YA in ‘10 and finishing #5 and #7 in PA in ‘06 and ‘07. The ‘05-‘10 chargers were consistently in the conversation for most talented team in the league and were known as the superchargers. It’s not at all true that Phillip was a victim of terrible teammates or a bad GM. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I was thinking a parent.  Most of these 21-year-old kids don't have their own families yet.

The poster mentioned a sick family member. What if the family lives in Hawaii? Kids have to learn to adapt to these issues. They had to when they went off to college. That is no excuse for refusing to go to a bad team.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Nope. Rivers played with top 17 OLs for the majority of his career and played with a HoF TE and RB in the 5 years between ‘06-‘10 when the D was consistently in the top half of the league including finishing #1 YA in ‘10 and finishing #5 and #7 in PA in ‘06 and ‘07. The ‘05-‘10 chargers were consistently in the conversation for most talented team in the league and were known as the superchargers. It’s not at all true that Phillip was a victim of terrible teammates or a bad GM. 

That isn't what I said, most people will say Eli won two SB but those two years, the Giants had a possibly the best defense in the league.  The Chargers did put talent on O but never came close to what the Giants had on D.

Also, ask anyone who would you rather have, Antonio Gates or Jerry Rice. 

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That isn't what I said

You said the chargers didn’t give rivers a great O at the same time as they had a top D, no? I responded by saying they did. 

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Also, ask anyone who would you rather have, Antonio Gates or Jerry Rice. 

Obviously Rice, but Rice also is in consideration for the greatest football player of all time. You’re also completely ignoring that Rivers had Gates and Tomlinson together on the same squad.

Ask anyone whether they’d have 5 years of both Gates and LT in their prime or 5 years of just Rice in his prime, you might get different results. 

If you were a top QB in the draft and you wanted to avoid having your career kneecapped, you obviously do what you can to avoid playing for the dregs of the league. No way do you let the Bengals or the Jets or Redskins ruin your career. Someone will trade for you. Why accept a death sentence if you can avoid it?

4 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

You said the chargers didn’t give rivers a great O at the same time as they had a top D, no? I responded by saying they did. 

Obviously Rice, but Rice also is in consideration for the greatest football player of all time. You’re also completely ignoring that Rivers had Gates and Tomlinson together on the same squad.

Ask anyone whether they’d have 5 years of both Gates and LT in their prime or 5 years of just Rice in his prime, you might get different results. 

Yes, Roger Craig completly sucked. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If you were a top QB in the draft and you wanted to avoid having your career kneecapped, you obviously do what you can to avoid playing for the dregs of the league. No way do you let the Bengals or the Jets or Redskins ruin your career. Someone will trade for you. Why accept a death sentence if you can avoid it?

Hopefully a team like Cleveland swoops in to rescue. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

My whole point was Rivers never had a stud WR he could rely on. 

Your original point was that Rivers never had a good offense around him when the defense was good. I pointed out that wasn't true.

Now you're saying that the presence of HoF TE & RB with solid OLs don't fit your definition of building a good offense around a QB, because there was no stud WR he could rely on. It's fine if that's how you feel. I'm just saying that alot of people, myself included, would take the solid OL and HoF TE & RB over just one HoF WR. 

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Your original point was that Rivers never had a good offense around him when the defense was good. I pointed out that wasn't true.

Now you're saying that the presence of HoF TE & RB with solid OLs don't fit your definition of building a good offense around a QB, because there was no stud WR he could rely on. It's fine if that's how you feel. I'm just saying that alot of people, myself included, would take the solid OL and HoF TE & RB over just one HoF WR. 

Can you repost where I said he didn't  have a good O? Because I don't recall saying that. I know he had good OL Tomlinson and Gates, I think he was also there for Natron Means. I'm pretty sure I said they never put a really good D to go with the O and his best reciever  was a TE 

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Can you repost where I said he didn't  have a good O? Because I don't recall saying that. I know he had good OL Tomlinson and Gates, I think he was also there for Natron Means. I'm pretty sure I said they never put a really good D to go with the O and his best reciever  was a TE 

I mean it's like 10 posts up, but if you can't even recall what you wrote and therefore have no idea what you're even arguing, I guess scrolling up is out of the question. Here:

19 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I mean it's like 10 posts up, but if you can't even recall what you wrote and therefore have no idea what you're even arguing, I guess scrolling up is out of the question. Here:

See, i said at the same time as a D. I never said SD never had a great O.

Edit

They had great O's but didn't  have the D to go with it

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think they were top 10 in everything as recently as 2018.    Vincent Jackson was pretty ******* good.  Plenty of guys go their entire career without throwing to anybody better than that.  I think we'd be pretty happy with Keenan Allen too.  The Chargers had a top D and top O the year Rex beat them in their own house.  They were #1 in yards and yards allowed and #2 in points.  

Natrone Means left the Chargers and retired long before Rivers came along.  Tomlinson was there first.  Funny you rank their GM because there was a time before his head got too big that A.J. Smith was considered the gold standard.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Jet Life said:

The Bengals don’t care about winning so it’s probably for the best he tries to get out of there 

Why, because they dont spend big on free agents?  Who is the last big money free agent the Steelers or Ravens signed?  How about Pats, Adalius Thomas 100yrs ago?

With Ben old as dirt, Lamar a dinged wheel away from being RG3 and the Browns being the Browns, Cinci has a lot of opportunity to win in the next 5 yrs. 

9 hours ago, DirtyJersey said:

Why, because they dont spend big on free agents?  Who is the last big money free agent the Steelers or Ravens signed?  How about Pats, Adalius Thomas 100yrs ago?

With Ben old as dirt, Lamar a dinged wheel away from being RG3 and the Browns being the Browns, Cinci has a lot of opportunity to win in the next 5 yrs. 

No because they kept a coach who never won a playoff game for like 20 years and don’t invest in anything. They don’t even have an indoor practice facility. The franchise is a joke top to bottom 

12 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

They dont play indoors, why would they practice indoors?

Every other NFL team does. Why do the Patriots? They play outdoors. Shocked you’re defending the Bengals when all the evidence points otherwise. They’re a losing organization that doesn’t care. But I guess some folks just like the play devils advocate online 

4 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Every other NFL team does. Why do the Patriots? They play outdoors. Shocked you’re defending the Bengals when all the evidence points otherwise. They’re a losing organization that doesn’t care. But I guess some folks just like the play devils advocate online 

If having an indoor practice facility meant anything, players would put in the CBA that all teams need to have one.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Some serious backtracking going on from the Burrow camp.  But of course, he's still making a demand:  He wants Cincy to bring back free agent AJ Green:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001103006/article/lsu-qb-joe-burrow-ill-play-for-whoever-drafts-me

LSU QB Joe Burrow: 'I'll play for whoever drafts me'

Print
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Feb. 25, 2020 at 10:28 a.m.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Joe Burrow rebuffed any notion that he doesn't want the Cincinnati Bengals to select him No. 1 overall in the 2020 NFL Draft.

"I'll play for whoever drafts me," Burrow said Tuesday from the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine. "I'm just not going to be presumptuous about what they want to do. It's the draft. You guys have been covering it for a long time. You never know what's going to happen."

Burrow might not be presumptuous, but the rest of the globe assumes the Bengals will use the top pick on the Heisman Trophy winner. The LSU quarterback's previous comments have seemed noncommittal about joining the Bengals organization. The hiring of Carson Palmer's brother, Jordan, as a QB coach after the former blasted the Cincy franchise, added fuel to the speculation.

Burrow said Tuesday that the narrative was spun from others reading into his previous comments about having "leverage," insisting he was simply talking about his choices of how to handle the combine.

"The only thing I've said is I didn't want to be presumptuous about the pick," Burrow said. "So, that's why I've been noncommittal, because I don't know what's going to happen. They might not pick me. They might fall in love with someone else. You guys kind of took that narrative and ran with it. There has never been anything like that from my end."

Burrow noted that he wouldn't sit out if the Bengals use the top pick on him.

"I'm not going to not play. I'm a ballplayer. Whoever picks me, I'm going to show up," he said.

If selected by Cincy, Burrow hopes A.J. Green remains with the franchise.

"If I'm lucky enough to be drafted No. 1, I'd like to have him on the roster," he said.

The signal-caller added he's not yet met with the Cincinnati brass yet but plans to over the next few days. Asked multiple times whether there are any concerns of his that he'd like the team to quash during the interview process, Burrow said he's just looking forward to "talking ball."

"I wouldn't say there are any concerns. I want to learn a lot about a lot of different teams," he said. "Through these interviews you just talk ball, and that's what I enjoy doing. I think we're meeting with the Bengals here in a couple days, and I'm looking forward to just talking ball, seeing what they're about. Seeing the offense that they run. See how they think about ball. So that's what these interviews are about. The people and the process."

The quarterback confirmed he doesn't plan to work out during the combine this week, citing LSU's long run in the College Football Playoff as a reason for sitting out drills. He doesn't need to do on-field drills, to be the top selection in April, his game-tape speaks plenty loud enough.

Burrow made it clear he'd be excited about joining Cincinnati if he's the No. 1 overall pick.

"Of course, I want to be the first pick. That's every kids' dream. I've worked really, really hard for this opportunity," the Ohio native said. "Two hours, 15 minutes from my house. I could go home for dinner if I wanted to. Not a lot of pro athletes could get to do that."

The QB might not want to be presumptuous about his landing spot. But the rest of us can be. Unless something goes awry in the next couple months, expect to see the Bengals announce Joe Burrow as the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:59 PM, Jet Life said:

No because they kept a coach who never won a playoff game for like 20 years and don’t invest in anything. They don’t even have an indoor practice facility. The franchise is a joke top to bottom 

Marv Lewis has a better winning percentage than Jon Gruden and people wanted to pay that puppet a fortune to come out of retirement and coach here.