JetNation 2020 Mock Draft DISCUSSION

Dcat

On 3/29/2020 at 8:30 PM, NYJetsVets91 said:

I think he's a boom or bust, either Jachai Polite 2.0 or a beast..

On 3/29/2020 at 10:10 PM, GREENBEAN said:

I checked in with a very respected expert on the subject  and he gave high praise.  Seems the only real concern is injury. You may know this expert.  We call him @JiF    :) 

Just because they went to the same school, doesnt make them a good comparison.  Zuniga is nothing like Polite.  2 totally different players, 2 totally different guys.  

Polite was purely an edge guy at Florida.  They rarely lined him up anywhere other than DE/OLB.  Zungia, they almost played exclusively at DT.  Occasionally they would line him up at DE but most of the time, he was lined up on the interior.

Zuniga is a bull.  Total freak athlete with strength and power that Polite could only dream of...he grew up playing basketball and actually only played 1 year of Football in High School.  5 years of play in college though.  Grew physically over those years.  Been starting since his freshman year.  Very different than Polite who kind of came out of nowhere his Jr. year and really only had one move, an insane first step.  He didnt have near the strength as Zuniga.  He'd just try to run around people and he could, easily.  He was not a freak athlete though.  Even though I didn't think he would pan out in the NFL, and laughed at the pick, I thought that first step might be a thing but he clearly lost it when he put on that weight before the combine.  Mostly because he's not exactly bright and had bad influences whereas Zuniga came from a family of athletes. 

Zuniga's only red flag is injuries, they plagued his career.  If he can stay healthy, he'll stick around.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

@#27TheDominator Can you confirm details of trade submitted by Section 314?

The Seattle Seahawks have traded pick #144 to the NY Giants for picks #150 and #238. Will wait for ok before making my selection. Tnx.

Yeah sure, 144 for 150 and 238.  Sorry it took me some time to get here.

@section314 is on the clock.

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I love Joe Reed. He's the offensive hero here in Charlottesville VA. Bryce Hall is the main man for UVA though.  I think Reed gets taken in the 6th or 7th. I'd like to see the Jets take a shot with him.  If he makes it to UDFA He'd be one of the guys I throw some money at for sure. 

Nice draft but I dislike Niang immensely. lol 

lol Oh well.  I can't remember what other offensive lineman were available at the time. 

Stellar pick by @GREENBEAN (even if it was by accident lolol) with Ore St. WR Isaiah Hodges.... he might be the biggest WR dark horse in this draft now that everyone knows about AGG..   Could easily be this year's McLaurin...

I like his chances in the NFL more than >>>>Aiyuk, Shenault, Reagor

Just watch this tape

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Stellar pick by @GREENBEAN (even if it was by accident lolol) with Ore St. WR Isaiah Hodges.... he might be the biggest WR dark horse in this draft now that everyone knows about AGG..   Could easily be this year's McLaurin...

I like his chances in the NFL more than >>>>Aiyuk, Shenault, Reagor

Just watch this tape

I'll take terry.  More speed, crisper routes.  Love Hodgins for jump balls  more than anything else.

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'll take terry.  More speed, crisper routes.  Love Hodgins for jump balls  more than anything else.

yes, didn't mean they're the same -- just that clearly McLaurin was undervalued and was able to produce right away. I think Hodges will hit the ground running more so than some of these other high ceiling guys. 

• Upvote 3

I was looking for a list of which WR prospects also have skills in returns.  Found this:

Reagor - (like you said)
Aiyuk - returns
Claypool - actually played teams as freshman/(soph ?) gunner
KJ Hamler - returns
Van Jefferson - returns
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Quez Watkins - returns -Quez is little discussed prospect that can fly 4.35 and has production but also has drops - 9.5% and surprisingly low agility number

Hey guys. I apologize for being late. I got laid off today and ya know....  

Anyway. I appreciate the understanding.  I really wanted to be able to make the pick. 

love Hightower @HawkeyeJet

When I made my trade to 137 I was 50/50 on him being the reason. lol   Solid pick! 

• Upvote 3

I am not loving my draft.  Ending up with a tackle I don't like that much and two DTs.  The T's I really wanted were off the board by my 3rd.  Probably should have passed on Claypool and gone T there.  There are plenty of WR available even now that would help.  Davis is the guy that is superfluous.  I have a couple of other guys I absolutely want.  They should both last, but if I didn't feel that you guys don't know/like them much I probably would have taken the guy I am targeting in the 7th over Benito. I would love to pick up another pick if anybody wants to move up a few slots.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Anyway. I appreciate the understanding.  I really wanted to be able to make the pick. 

When I made my trade to 137 I was 50/50 on him being the reason. lol   Solid pick! 

Dude. How you feeling? Hopefully, this site can continue to be a distraction.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

That sucks. They closed my job site as well and the bar my wife works at closed 3 weeks ago. I’m lucky enough to have a few small jobs without permits that gets me out of the house for a few days but I’m not making it to May. I’ll lose my mind. 

7 hours ago, JiF said:

Just because they went to the same school, doesnt make them a good comparison.  Zuniga is nothing like Polite.  2 totally different players, 2 totally different guys.  

Polite was purely an edge guy at Florida.  They rarely lined him up anywhere other than DE/OLB.  Zungia, they almost played exclusively at DT.  Occasionally they would line him up at DE but most of the time, he was lined up on the interior.

Zuniga is a bull.  Total freak athlete with strength and power that Polite could only dream of...he grew up playing basketball and actually only played 1 year of Football in High School.  5 years of play in college though.  Grew physically over those years.  Been starting since his freshman year.  Very different than Polite who kind of came out of nowhere his Jr. year and really only had one move, an insane first step.  He didnt have near the strength as Zuniga.  He'd just try to run around people and he could, easily.  He was not a freak athlete though.  Even though I didn't think he would pan out in the NFL, and laughed at the pick, I thought that first step might be a thing but he clearly lost it when he put on that weight before the combine.  Mostly because he's not exactly bright and had bad influences whereas Zuniga came from a family of athletes. 

Zuniga's only red flag is injuries, they plagued his career.  If he can stay healthy, he'll stick around.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jabari-zuniga?id=32195a55-4e20-7645-bad6-222cbc88c769

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jachai-polite?id=3219504f-4c11-3764-b3c6-cc83363f62fb

From my understanding Zungia played mostly DE.. But if they want to line a 260 lb guy at tackle that's their choice. They had a 6 lb difference coming out of college, and they have almost the exact same frame. Only difference is Zungia has very slightly longer arms. They are not the same player, never said that. Zuniga is obviously the better of the two, there are similarities though.

Little known fun fact, Polite played DT in high school, and as a freshman for Florida and weighed 271 coming out of high school. He transitioned to OLB/DE after Florida switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and lost nearly 30 lbs.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/3/18/18268594/jachai-polite-an-undersized-or-undervalued-pass-rusher

From what I've watched and read though, the biggest similarity I was referring to was consistency. Zuniga has more consistent numbers coming out of college, but he is very raw and disappears at times. He excels against lesser teams, but seems to be less effective against real competition. I think he does have a significantly better pedigree, but is still subject to busting if he doesn't clean up his mechanics i.e keeping pad level low, awareness, etc. He will have a hard time getting consistent production in the NFL otherwise.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jabari-zuniga/LKgjEzoUOl

Overall Zuniga is definitely the better prospect, he's an absolute beast, but I think he also has some risk involved. Wasn't saying they are the same player, but I think consistency is a bigger red flag for him over injury. I see some similar issues Polite had coming out of college. That's all.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Dude. How you feeling? Hopefully, this site can continue to be a distraction.

I;m alright. thanks. 

Just weird. I've been employed pretty much consistently for most of my adult life. And with this company since 2012. I'll get by. I have a plan in place that is in the advanced stages so at leas there's that. I just wonder when the world will be able to look somewhat normal again. My life plans are contingent upon that. haha

The site is great and it helps tremendously. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

That sucks. They closed my job site as well and the bar my wife works at closed 3 weeks ago. I’m lucky enough to have a few small jobs without permits that gets me out of the house for a few days but I’m not making it to May. I’ll lose my mind. 

yeah, man. It seems to be the "in" thing to lose one's job at the moment. So at least I'm finally a part of the cool crowd. lol 

Good luck with your situation.  I'm really hoping things turn around sooner than the current projections would have us believe. 

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sorry to hear dude.  Good luck!

• Upvote 1

I was rather fortunate as I retired from the University I worked at about a year and a half ago, before this world health issue and just recently before massive cuts to all universities by our provincial government.  (We also had a huge change in upper management not long before I left and I was not a fan of the new guys.)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sorry to hear that.  This pandemic is taking its toll in so many ways.   I guess I am one of the lucky ones.  Wife and I can both work from home; we may be getting on each other's nerves, but after 30+ years of marriage, we are pretty well experienced at dealing with that.

Hoepfully you won't be out of work for too long and you and your family stays healthy.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I;m alright. thanks. 

Just weird. I've been employed pretty much consistently for most of my adult life. And with this company since 2012. I'll get by. I have a plan in place that is in the advanced stages so at leas there's that. I just wonder when the world will be able to look somewhat normal again. My life plans are contingent upon that. haha

The site is great and it helps tremendously. 

Hang in there. Hope the best for you. Hopefully nit wits like myself on this site will help. Now, about that damn Q character....?

• Upvote 1