JetNation 2020 Mock Draft DISCUSSION

Dcat

13 hours ago, Lith said:

I agree.  Given the current roster construction, we absolutley have to come away from day 2 with 2 WRs.  Before FA, I was hoping for 2OL and 2WR by end of day 2; but now that we have bolstered the interior of the line, I want to see an OT and two WRs.  Plus an edge or CB.  That would make for a real nice two days IMO.

Basically, it came down to picking a WR who, at best, might develop into a #2 vs. picking a guy who at best could be a 10 year starter on the o-line.  I think in the real draft there will be plenty of better WR options in the mid-third round, but if I have a choice between Donvan Peoples Jones, Bryan Edwards or the kid from UCF, guys who will have trouble getting separation in the NFL and have less than stellar route running, I'm taking Hennesy all day.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Lith said:

Given the lack of resource spent on WR -- even after the hypotheticl selection or Ruggs, I don't want to wait another round before adding to the depth chart.  Over the past 6 years, there has been a sginficant drop off in WR production between the 3rd and 4th rounds.  I get the logic behind selecting Hennessy.  Its not a bad pick, but with some of the quality WRs on the board I would rather grab one in R3 than take my chances waitiing until R4.

Since 2014, there have been 25 WRs select5ed in the 3rd round and 29 in the 4th.  The 3rd rounders have an average of 30 receptions and 410 yards per season.  4th rounders have averaged 19 and 217 yards; slightly more than half.

The top 3rd roudners inlcude Gollady, Godwin, Kupp, Brownn & Lockett.  The best 4th rounders include Crowder, Westbrook, Martavis Bryant.  Historically there is a big drop off from round 3 to round 4.  For what its worht, 5th round WRs have outperformed 4th rounders, but that is because of two outliers: Stefon Diggs an Tyreek Hill.

Hey... I'm sorry I made a couple of posts in the wrong thread.  I'll go delete them now.

this one was in response to o making PK's picks. 

Man, that's trust. @Patriot Killa is a good man. 

I was in another mock with @Dcat last year. I had spotty internet throughout the day so I woke up early to give him like 8 picks for the teams I had while the internet was good. As much as I love that guy, I wasn't trusting him with that $hit!   hahaha  

• Upvote 1

The skins are looking to move up in the 3rd. I have picks 108, 142, 148, 162, 216, 229 

I'd love to jump back in time to grab some of delightful players you guys already selected but I have doubts on my ability to pull that off. 

So if anyone is interested in picking up a little extra change for the future rds, let me know. 

27 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I think I deleted all the threads calling each other names about the Jets pick. Can we get back to talking about the mock without calling each other body parts now. 

geez... I missed all of that yesterday when offline for most of the tome after Jets pick yestyerday.   Were people not happy with an interior OL there?  

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

geez... I missed all of that yesterday when offline for most of the tome after Jets pick yestyerday.   Were people not happy with an interior OL there?  

I would have gone in a different direction as I expalined in the thread.  Indy disagreed with me, but no name calling between us.  I have no issue with Indy or who he chose, Just not the direction I would have gone though.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Lith said:

Given the lack of resource spent on WR -- even after the hypotheticl selection or Ruggs, I don't want to wait another round before adding to the depth chart.  Over the past 6 years, there has been a sginficant drop off in WR production between the 3rd and 4th rounds.  I get the logic behind selecting Hennessy.  Its not a bad pick, but with some of the quality WRs on the board I would rather grab one in R3 than take my chances waitiing until R4.

Since 2014, there have been 25 WRs select5ed in the 3rd round and 29 in the 4th.  The 3rd rounders have an average of 30 receptions and 410 yards per season.  4th rounders have averaged 19 and 217 yards; slightly more than half.

The top 3rd roudners inlcude Gollady, Godwin, Kupp, Brownn & Lockett.  The best 4th rounders include Crowder, Westbrook, Martavis Bryant.  Historically there is a big drop off from round 3 to round 4.  For what its worht, 5th round WRs have outperformed 4th rounders, but that is because of two outliers: Stefon Diggs an Tyreek Hill.

Well I sure made THAT mistake with the Ravens this year.  I just assumed that one of these awesome WR prospects would still be there in round 3, when I selected Edge in 2.  All the ones I liked are gone now: i.e. AGG, Claypool, Duvernay.   I underestimated how quickly these guys would come off the board in round 2.   But again, it's a Jets board and we are thirsty for OT and WR no matter what team we represent here. 

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

I would have gone in a different direction as I expalined in the thread.  Indy disagreed with me, but no name calling between us.  I have no issue with Indy or who he chose, Just not the direction I would have gone though.

Agreed.  Although I think the bigger mistake was made with the Terrell Lewis selection a pick earlier.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Well I sure made THAT mistake with the Ravens this year.  I just assumed that one of these awesome WR prospects would still be there in round 3, when I selected Edge in 2.  All the ones I liked are gone now: i.e. AGG, Claypool, Duvernay.   I underestimated how quickly these guys would come off the board in round 2.   But again, it's a Jets board and we are thirsty for OT and WR no matter what team we represent here. 

And that would be my concern.  Given the current roster construction, and the strength of the draft at WR, this is the draft to try to come awy with two WRs who will contribute for the next 5+ years.  I have become a firm believer in drafting to the strength of the draft, rather than assuming there will still be quality available in the next round because the draft is so deep at that position. 

I get the Hennessy pick, and not going to complain about building OL after all the years it was neglected.  I just would have grabbed a WR at that spot -- there are two guys I would have been happy with ahead of Hennessy.  

24 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Interesting run on IOL.  

I think lots of teams could use a Guard.  I've been debating taking one for my last 3 picks with the Lions, but value didn't make sense until now.

That's one thing I really enjoy about this excercise.  In the real draft they always say it only takes one team to make a 4th rounder a 2nd round  player.  I struggle with that in this processes.  I try not to reach, even though I might like someone enough too.  I've liked Muti for awhile, waiting on him worked out this time 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think lots of teams could use a Guard.  I've been debating taking one for my last 3 picks with the Lions, but value didn't make sense until now.

That's one thing I really enjoy about this excercise.  In the real draft they always say it v only takes one team to make a 4th rounder a 2nd round  player.  I struggle with that in this p processes.  I try not to reach, even though I might like someone enough too.  I've liked Muti for awhile, waiting on him worked out this time 

That’s usually how runs on certain positions get started.  A GM sees someone he likes get drafted ahead of him and then says  “we better grab so and so now”.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It will be interesting to see how Jones does with better quarterbacking.  He could be one of the more underrated players this year.

I think he goes much higher in the real draft and fits the mold of the Steelers picking WR's around these slots. 

• Upvote 3

It turns out that the Ravens are NOT signing Brockers.  Ankle worries. Brockers already re-signed with the Rams today.

No worries, I gave the Ravens their DL anchor for the next 7 years in the 1st round.   I am thrilled to have made the perfect trade-up for the Ravens.  OMG  Pure genius....  er... luck..

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It turns out that the Ravens are NOT signing Brockers.  Ankle worries. Brockers already re-signed with the Rams today.

No worries, I gave the Ravens their DL anchor for the next 7 years in the 1st round.   I am thrilled to have made the perfect trade-up for the Ravens.  OMG  Pure genius....  er... luck..

You and JD......successful graduates of the Ozzie GM school.?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That's one thing I really enjoy about this excercise.  In the real draft they always say it only takes one team to make a 4th rounder a 2nd round  player.  I struggle with that in this processes.  I try not to reach, even though I might like someone enough too.  I've liked Muti for awhile, waiting on him worked out this time 

I agree.   It is interesting to watch this unfold. There are guys I'm really hoping to grab but they wouldn't actually be a 2nd so I'm waiting to see if they make it down to the next pick etc. Taking  the guy in their "proper" place is a very interesting exercise. I had to do some of that with Matt Peart.  There are guys I technically want more, but for my plan I just know Peart isn't making it out of the round and the other guy may. 

So I wait... and watch.... and bitch when it doesn't work out. ?  

2 hours ago, Lith said:

to be fair, i approached subject with nothing but abject humility, even going as far as to say - i'm not here to tell you who you should pick.... and was met raging hostility. 

N87JB-.gif

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

it's such a steeler-ly pick.

I was looking to trade up for awhile. Thankfully Mick and I reached a fair value trade. I still couldn't believe he was still available.

18 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

That's the thought.  I was tempted to go WR again, but I'd rather get a starting caliber C.  If Hennessy develops into a starter very quickly, suddenly our depth on the interior Oline is really good.

I keep reading Hennessy could  be a second rounder. He’s apparently a blocking technique savant or some sh*t. Great pick

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

to be fair, i approached subject with nothing but abject humility, even going as far as to say - i'm not here to tell you who you should pick.... and was met raging hostility. 

N87JB-.gif

Dude, go back and look at your post, it did not come off as being a friendly  disagreement.

If it was 'Hey I disagree, we needed a Wr more' and left it at that he would not have had the blow back.

Funny thing is you blast the pick and then promptly pick a guard.

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

to be fair, i approached subject with nothing but abject humility, even going as far as to say - i'm not here to tell you who you should pick.... and was met raging hostility

N87JB-.gif

more like exuberant indifference than raging hostility

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Dude, go back and look at your post, it did not come off as being a friendly  disagreement.

If it was 'Hey I disagree, we needed a Wr more' and left it at that he would not have had the blow back.

Funny thing is you blast the pick and then promptly pick a guard.

well i wasn't offering a reach around... but whatevs. it's a pick discussion thread, not a tea party. I didn't say anything overly aggressive. If you're picking for the Jets (which I did once, and heard lots of sh*t) then be prepared to defend the picks better than that. 

And what does me being critical of a jets pick have to do with picking DEN's first Oline selection after 2 WRs... hmmmm?

giphy.gif