2015 Coulda Been Special

6 minutes ago, Ian Fleming said:

I was under the impression that he was injured in November, his throwing ability deteriorated rapidly when it did in the last quarter of the season.

His arm was fine, that was the excuse.  He made his career playing through anything.  He was throwing balls you for grabs in September and December.  It amazes me how Jets fans think so highly of him but crap on old Jets QBs that actually wanted to be here and helped us win.

• Upvote 1

The Jets have only lost 4 true win and in games in their history.  1993, 1997, 2000 and 2015.  

I would say 1993 was the toughest, in week 18(there were 2 byes that year) we needed Miami to lose that afternoon to NE and it happened.  Houston was resting starters including Warren Moon and we didn't score a point in the loss.

1997 was tough but going from 1 win in 96 to 9 in 97 was huge and we had our best coaching staff ever.

2000 was probably as painful as 93.  93 we were 8-5 and lost 3 straight needing one win, 2000 we were 9-4 and list 3 straight needing one win.  In week 17 of 2000 we needed to win at Baltimore while they were trying to get home field in the WC round.  We led 14-0 and despite 500+ yds of O and Baltimore gaining less than 150 yds of O we lost 34-20 allowing 2 punt return TDs and a 98 yard int return TD.

2015 was also brutal, I think we had won 5 in a row even though we struggled vs some bad teams but having Pitt lose the week before and us beating NE in thrilling fashion in OT(with the help of some head scratching moves by BB) it looked like we had it but the team didn't even show up vs a buf team that was far less talented and was hurt.  

I’ll never forget that loss, I was so devastated. As a younger guy it’s easily one of the worst Jets losses I’ve ever experienced and it was also one of the few times in my lifetime that the Jets were actually relevant in the NFL. I remember being at my friends house and lying on the ground with my head in my hands after the last Fitzpatrick pick that sealed the deal. 

2 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Doug Brien game. Nuff said. To add insult to injury. I almost caught his 2 Nd failed afukintept

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

While that one was tough I don't think we have any chance to win at NE the next week just like in 86 if we beat Cleveland I doubt we beat Denver the next week and if we did we would not have been able to beat the Giants in the SB so while those were both awful, awful ways to lose I don't put them above the 82, 97 and 10 AFC championship games where I think we would have had great chances to win super bowls.

The criticism of Fitzpatrick for that year is totally laughable.  It's like his great performance that year never happened just because he held out the next year.

He was outstanding that year, especially in the last half of the year.

The narratives that he was garbage or choked or was carried are all fallacies.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Favre was fine, that was just an excuse. The real what if is what if we kept Chad?  If we did that we cruise to the division title and have a chance to go a long way in a very weak year for the AFC.

I’ve seen you make this argument before. You are wrong.

Favre had a torn biceps tendon (an injury for which he underwent microscopic surgery the following January).

For an injury like that, it doesn’t matter when you actually first get hurt, because it gets worse with time if untreated. So, while you are correct that Favre initially got hurt in October (against the Bengals) and played well after that, this doesn’t change the fact that it was clearly affecting his play by December. 

The notion that a guy with a torn biceps tendon was “fine” is a bit insane.  

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

While that one was tough I don't think we have any chance to win at NE the next week just like in 86 if we beat Cleveland I doubt we beat Denver the next week and if we did we would not have been able to beat the Giants in the SB so while those were both awful, awful ways to lose I don't put them above the 82, 97 and 10 AFC championship games where I think we would have had great chances to win super bowls.

Agreed, and we would have been favored in two of them, vs Redskins and Falcons. Disagree with you on 86. We would have beaten Denver. We clobered then during the season. They were not that good. And we would have given the Giants a much better game than Denver did.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The criticism of Fitzpatrick for that year is totally laughable.  It's like his great performance that year never happened just because he held out the next year.

He was outstanding that year, especially in the last half of the year.

The narratives that he was garbage or choked or was carried are all fallacies.

Did you watch the 4th quarter of the Buffalo game in week 17?

He had a very good year, but he didn’t play well when it mattered most. 

Again, there is a reason he has bounced around the league. It’s not because he’s an upper echelon starting QB. He’s competent but streaky and prone to game changing mistakes. 

The 2 worst win and in games for me would easily be 

1) The 97 loss in Detroit (we were the better team and the Leon Johnson play wasn’t even a real interception) 

2) The 2000 loss in Baltimore. Started the season 6-1 with magical 4th quarter wins, choked away a win and in game in week 16 with a SOJ loss at home to the Lions, and then proceeded to walk into Baltimore, amass 8 trillion yards of offense, dominate between the 20s with our passing game, and throw the game away with brutal interceptions and special teams mishaps. (The Vinny pick 6 befor the half changed the game) 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez have both won playoff games we probably win a playoff game or 2 with Fitz throwing 50/50 balls to Marshall and Decker

And Kenny O never did yet his backup did.. Kenny also never had a rushing TD oh and his backup did..Marshall never even got to play in a playoff game..

The 2015 season was one of the most enjoyable, competitive and hopeful that I can remember in over 25 years of fandom.

There was a real chemistry on that team between the players. As a hardcore Jets fan it was a pleasure to watch those guys week in and week out. They were a genuine cast of characters and you could tell they were actually friends and really liked each other . They were all ages colors Creeds shapes and sizes. The photobombs in the interviews after the games had me rolling!

It sucks that it blew up in our faces during the last game in Buffalo and we didn't make the playoffs. But after all it is only a game and it's here for entertainment. You never knew what was happening next that season and those were some great times!

31 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’ve seen you make this argument before. You are wrong.

Favre had a torn biceps tendon (an injury for which he underwent microscopic surgery the following January).

For an injury like that, it doesn’t matter when you actually first get hurt, because it gets worse with time if untreated. So, while you are correct that Favre initially got hurt in October (against the Bengals) and played well after that, this doesn’t change the fact that it was clearly affecting his play by December. 

The notion that a guy with a torn biceps tendon was “fine” is a bit insane.  

Sorry, the guy made his career playing through pain.  He was the same QB in December as he was in September.  His arm may not have been as strong but players adjust and as long as he kept playing he gets evaluated on how he played which was awful.

29 minutes ago, section314 said:

Agreed, and we would have been favored in two of them, vs Redskins and Falcons. Disagree with you on 86. We would have beaten Denver. We clobered then during the season. They were not that good. And we would have given the Giants a much better game than Denver did.

We clobbered Denver at home on a Monday night.  Very different than having to go to Mile High in January and we don't know if Pat Ryan would have been able to play.  Without Ryan there no chance, O'Brien couldn't move the offense late that season.

31 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Did you watch the 4th quarter of the Buffalo game in week 17?

He had a very good year, but he didn’t play well when it mattered most. 

Again, there is a reason he has bounced around the league. It’s not because he’s an upper echelon starting QB. He’s competent but streaky and prone to game changing mistakes. 

No dispute about that at all.  He played poorly in the last game of the year.  Many people act as if he was not outstanding leading up to that game.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The 2 worst win and in games for me would easily be 

1) The 97 loss in Detroit (we were the better team and the Leon Johnson play wasn’t even a real interception) 

2) The 2000 loss in Baltimore. Started the season 6-1 with magical 4th quarter wins, choked away a win and in game in week 16 with a SOJ loss at home to the Lions, and then proceeded to walk into Baltimore, amass 8 trillion yards of offense, dominate between the 20s with our passing game, and throw the game away with brutal interceptions and special teams mishaps. (The Vinny pick 6 befor the half changed the game) 

The Detroit defender was out of bounds on that Leon pass.  It's funny how we always see the Vinny play but never see the much bigger mistake calling that Leon pass an int.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

No dispute about that at all.  He played poorly in the last game of the year.  Many people act as if he was not outstanding leading up to that game.

He had outstanding numbers, he wasn't outstanding.  Marshall and Decker were outstanding.

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Can always count on junc to turn any thread into a 'argue with junc's unabashed and delusional hatred of favre' thread. 

Shut up and go away.  Knowledgeable Jet fans are trying to have a discussion.  No one cares about your irrational infatuation with me.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

One of my very first memories of listening to the Jets on the radio. I was around 12 years old and finally settled on being a Jets fan after Steve Young (Greenwich hometown hero so I supported his team) retired in '98, and we had to travel to DC for some family stuff. Nowhere to find the game on TV, so I took my dad's keys and sat in the car by myself to listen to the game. I can still hear that pick 6 call in my head. Absolutely brutal. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Sorry, the guy made his career playing through pain.  He was the same QB in December as he was in September.  His arm may not have been as strong but players adjust and as long as he kept playing he gets evaluated on how he played which was awful.

We clobbered Denver at home on a Monday night.  Very different than having to go to Mile High in January and we don't know if Pat Ryan would have been able to play.  Without Ryan there no chance, O'Brien couldn't move the offense late that season.

Fair point.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He had outstanding numbers, he wasn't outstanding.  Marshall and Decker were outstanding.

No he was outstanding.  In case you did not know a QB actually has to get the ball to WR for them to do anything. 

Five games before the last game loss to Buffalo:

5 wins including one over New England.

13 tds, 1 int, avg 305 yards passing per game.

For a guy that loves and defends mark sanchez at every turn your comments make no sense at all.

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No he was outstanding.  In case you did not know a QB actually has to get the ball to WR for them to do anything. 

Five games before the last game loss to Buffalo:

5 wins including one over New England.

13 tds, 1 int, avg 305 yards passing per game.

For a guy that loves and defends mark sanchez at every turn your comments make no sense at all.

The NE game was very weird.  With nearly 2 minutes left in the first half NE ran out the clock rather than try to score like they do often had been able to do.  In OT they deferred.  It was very odd. Also a Fitz fumble returned for a TD got NE back in the game.

At Dallas we barely won against a horrible cowboys team. We forced 4 TOs not won 19-16 against Matt Cassel and Kellen Moore.

We barely beat a bad Giants team

Mark never had WRs like Marshall and Decker for 16 games.  Mark won big games, mark won playoff games, mark helped us get to the playoffs.  Can you see the difference btw Mark and Fitz?  If Mark is our QB in 15 we make the playoffs, if Fitz is our QB in 09 or 10 we don't go on those runs.  There's a reason Fitz has never seen a playoff game.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

That's fine, because he was bad down the stretch and if a guy plays it is totally fair to judge him on his play - as long as you acknowledge that he had a very serious injury that was just as serious as either of Pennington's torn rotator cuff injuries. 

A torn biceps tendon isn't a joke for a guy who makes his living throwing a football. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The Detroit defender was out of bounds on that Leon pass.  It's funny how we always see the Vinny play but never see the much bigger mistake calling that Leon pass an int.

Yes, that play was just as instrumental in getting instant replay instituted again as the vinny QB draw was. 

5 hours ago, nico002 said:

That loss to Buffalo is like top 5 most gut wrenching in Jets history 

Crapping out in the 1998 AFC champ game was most gut-wrenching for me. I was young, impressionable and we def. would've beat Atlanta to get our first ring since my dad was that age. One day when the last person to see the Jets win it all in SBIII dies, it will be like when the last WWII vet dies.

Then to follow that up with week 1 of the 1999 season... the day I became a SOJF and @SAR I's life nemesis.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Crapping out in the 1998 AFC champ game was most gut-wrenching for me. I was young, impressionable and we def. would've beat Atlanta to get our first ring since my dad was that age. 

This will always be mine, personally. 

That game was basically the Super Bowl and that 98 team was magical. Probably the best Jets team since Super Bowl 3. 

After the blocked punt, I was 80-90% sure it was going to happen. 

• Upvote 1