Costello Report: Adams to Seattle for Two First Round Picks

Lith

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Eh. I’m thinking about the immediate benefit for Sam and a fear of going into this season with Crowder and two coin-flips in Perriman and Mims. 

i think Mims can have a DK metcalf type of year 1...     is Sam doesnt ubderthrow him too much...

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Eh. I’m thinking about the immediate benefit for Sam and a fear of going into this season with Crowder and two coin-flips in Perriman and Mims. 

I almost get it from that perspective. Three counterarguments that come to mind:

-A bad investment is still a bad investment and sacrificing the long-term for the short term, which that would be in every sense, seems to be the antithesis of Douglas’ MO.

-Juju specific - I can’t get away from him being a slot. He is a solid receiver and a big body but him and Crowder means you’re putting a high volume receiver in a square peg round hole situation. I think that’s the opposite of what you want for a young QB.

-If Darnold needs to be coddled to that extent - is he really that good? I frankly think Perriman and Mims are better than Anderson and...Dermaryius Thomas? Crowder is the #1 target wise and then the #2 should come from one of the others - third just needs to space the field. Plus Herndon is back and the OL should be better. Giving Sanchez all the weapons didn’t facilitate his development.

It's worth listening to today's Locked On NFL podcast with Matt Williamson. He breaks down what the trade means for Joe Douglas and the Jets and, although he doesn't come out and say it, but he thinks Douglas ripped off the Seahawks, with a trade involving two first round picks, a veteran safety and a pick upgrade.

For context, Williamson is a former NFL and college scout.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, derp said:

A bad investment is still a bad investment

Agree with much of what you wrote except for this. Yes, it’d be a massive overpay, but I see this as *the* year for Darnold. If he’s still muddling around at the end of the year and Mims and Perriman hovering around a 50% catch rate, it’s gonna be red alert time. I might pay someone a lot to bump his performance up 5%

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And for suggesting this months ago we were called conspiracy theorists.

Victory lap continues.

Look like I’ve always said I dont have a problem with Some Jet fans being fans of his.  What I don’t get is why they act like the Jets screwed up.  It’s pretty clear he had zero loyalty to the Jets/players/fans.  He actively lobbied to get traded to the Cowboys.  He even posted videos of Cowboy players instead of Jet players for god sakes ? 

• Upvote 2

On 7/27/2020 at 9:19 AM, derp said:

I’m generally on the same page as you but not at all here. Juju has one year left on his deal so you have to franchise or pay him and he really struggled last year.

You only make that deal with an agreement on an extension in place.  If you trade for him without that agreement in place, it should lower the trade compensation significantly.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Agree with much of what you wrote except for this. Yes, it’d be a massive overpay, but I see this as *the* year for Darnold. If he’s still muddling around at the end of the year and Mims and Perriman hovering around a 50% catch rate, it’s gonna be red alert time. I might pay someone a lot to bump his performance up 5%

That’s fair but it kind of plays into my thoughts on the WR group and coddling Darnold. When we kind of end up in the idea that a slot receiver who doesn’t fit personnel well or a quality #2 type guy coming off a career year in a pass heavy offense is the difference between your young quarterback having a successful career or not...I don’t know. It doesn’t quite mesh for me.

And I guess more than anything else I don’t see Douglas doing *that*. If he felt that way then he could’ve gone and overpaid for Cooper in free agency. I think he understands the group needs work but it’s fine albeit not ideal this year, which is my where I’m at.

The move I could see is a buy low on Curtis Samuel or something but I don’t think the Panthers make that move. But a speedy guy who could make Crowder expendable in the slot eventually is the next piece, I think. Somebody Gase can use the big fast outside guys to create space for to get the ball underneath and make plays after the catch but also get loose downfield. Burst some pipes.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You only make that deal with an agreement on an extension in place.  If you trade for him without that agreement in place, it should lower the trade compensation significantly.  

Should kind of be lower compensation regardless, right? He’s not the same kind of an asset on a new deal that he is on a rookie deal. I also have no idea what you pay someone with his career trajectory. He’s a weird case. Partially why they may let him walk, I imagine.

13 minutes ago, derp said:

Should kind of be lower compensation regardless, right? He’s not the same kind of an asset on a new deal that he is on a rookie deal. I also have no idea what you pay someone with his career trajectory. He’s a weird case. Partially why they may let him walk, I imagine.

Well yeah.  I think he's worth a 2nd rounder, not a 1st.  Especially since it would be an early-mid 2.  But making the deal without an agreement in place drops it all the way down to a 4th rounder, for me. 

I doubt the Steelers would go for that, of course, but you don't cough up a high draft pick for a 1-year rental when you're a rebuilding team.  Making the trade without an extension agreement in place ensures JuJu holds all the cards in any subsequent extension negotiation.

On 7/28/2020 at 12:44 PM, Fantasy Island said:

Still in shock that we got two number ones for Jamouth.  Douglas is da man.  Jamal will never live down the stigma of being picked before Mahomes.  Boom !!!!!

How anyone can criticize this trade is nuts.  We got more for Adams than we did for Abraham and Revis

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

How anyone can criticize this trade is nuts.  We got more for Adams than we did for Abraham and Revis

Different deals.

Adams still has 2 years of team control under the rookie contract, with the ability to franchise.

Revis was entering the final year of his contract.

Abraham was already under the franchise tag.

Apples vs oranges.

The Jets got fair value here. Good for both sides.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:49 AM, MichaelScott said:

You're literally the last person left on the sinking ship of Adam's defenders. I can't remember the last time the Jets made ANY move, significant or otherwise that was met with such overwhelming support by people on this site. Prior to shipping off this cancer, there has been seemingly NOTHING this team could do that would fail to split the fan base. You're the last person left waving your Jamal pompoms and living in the alternate universe where your run stuffing God is the key to Jets promise land. As someone else pointed out, you're a bit outnumbered and its commical.

There is quite liteally NO ONE on this site LESS equipped to be pointing to anyone else as "embarrassing yourself". Thanks for the laugh, Nut. 

I stand corrected. Sorry I forgot about you, @Trolly McTrollface!!

At the end of the day, I really just enjoy the debate and the back and forth. I could never legitimately hold something against any fan for supporting a member of the team, regardless of how I personally feel about that player. 

While I am happy to see Jamal gone and I do believe that, for a number of reasons discussed ad nauseam,  the team is better off.with him gone... I can also admit that he was great at what he did and I would love for an alternative universe where the player on the field was matched with someone completely different off the field making a scenario where the team would have been better to keep him. But unfortunately,  thats not our reality and I am beyond happy to see him gone while being somewhere between mind blown and elated over the return we got for him!