UConn Cancels Football Season

PS17

I applaud them.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29600577/uconn-becomes-1st-fbs-team-cancel-football-season-due-coronavirus

UConn, which last month officially left the American Athletic Conference, announced Wednesday that it's suspending its football program for the 2020 season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

UConn, which went 2-10 in its final season in the AAC, is the first FBS program to suspend football because of the pandemic. The Huskies were expected to play as an independent this season.

"After receiving guidance from state and public health officials and consulting with football student-athletes, we've decided that we will not compete on the gridiron this season," athletic director David Benedict said in a statement. "The safety challenges created by COVID-19 place our football student-athletes at an unacceptable level of risk.”

The Huskies officially left the AAC on July 1 and are required to pay their former league an exit fee of $17 million by 2026. UConn is joining the Big East in all sports besides football, men's and women's ice hockey and rowing.

The Huskies are only 6-30 in three seasons since Randy Edsall returned before the 2017 season for a second tenure. UConn hasn't had a winning campaign since 2010, which was Edsall's last season before he left for Maryland. He guided the Huskies to an 8-5 record, Big East title and Fiesta Bowl appearance that season.

"We engaged and listened to the concerns of our football student-athletes and feel this is the best decision for their health, safety, and well-being," Edsall said via statement. "Our team is united in this approach and we will use this time to further player development within the program and gear ourselves to the 2021 season."

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I suspect this has more to do with now being an independent program and now having no one to play this year because everyone is playing conference games only, if they play at all.

The program is also pretty broke, financially. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I suspect this has more to do with now being an independent program and now having no one to play this year because everyone is playing conference games only, if they play at all.

Exactly.

The Uconn football program was on the verge of collapse before the pandemic. No longer affiliated with a conference and watching a ton of players transfer out. The pandemic may have bailed them out of an ugly season. The notion that this decision was based on guidance from public health officials is comical and actually does a disservice to the rest of college football since the program would absolutely have tried to play if they were in the Big Ten. 

• Upvote 3

Man you guys are really rooting for the season to be cancelled huh? Did you need a change of pants after you read this headline?

Also- UCONNs football program is irrelevant, they are canceling because they have no one to play as an independent. 

THAT BEING SAID. I don't think there should be a college football season- but that  should be completely and totally irrelevant to what the NFL does IMO. Student athletes vs. paid professionals- the latter should be able to do what they want. 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I applaud them.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29600577/uconn-becomes-1st-fbs-team-cancel-football-season-due-coronavirus

UConn, which last month officially left the American Athletic Conference, announced Wednesday that it's suspending its football program for the 2020 season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

UConn, which went 2-10 in its final season in the AAC, is the first FBS program to suspend football because of the pandemic. The Huskies were expected to play as an independent this season.

"After receiving guidance from state and public health officials and consulting with football student-athletes, we've decided that we will not compete on the gridiron this season," athletic director David Benedict said in a statement. "The safety challenges created by COVID-19 place our football student-athletes at an unacceptable level of risk.”

The Huskies officially left the AAC on July 1 and are required to pay their former league an exit fee of $17 million by 2026. UConn is joining the Big East in all sports besides football, men's and women's ice hockey and rowing.

The Huskies are only 6-30 in three seasons since Randy Edsall returned before the 2017 season for a second tenure. UConn hasn't had a winning campaign since 2010, which was Edsall's last season before he left for Maryland. He guided the Huskies to an 8-5 record, Big East title and Fiesta Bowl appearance that season.

"We engaged and listened to the concerns of our football student-athletes and feel this is the best decision for their health, safety, and well-being," Edsall said via statement. "Our team is united in this approach and we will use this time to further player development within the program and gear ourselves to the 2021 season."

UCONN has a football team? Lol

Just now, nico002 said:

Man you guys are really rooting for the season to be cancelled huh? Did you need a change of pants after you read this headline?

Also- UCONNs football program is irrelevant, they are canceling because they have no one to play as an independent. 

That and they would never be eligible for a big $$$ bowl game.  Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Michigan and Ohio St won't do this

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

That and they would never be eligible for a big $$$ bowl game.  Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Michigan and Ohio St won't do this

Let's see if they cancel their women's/men's college hoops season. Oh wait that makes them money. 

Note: I expect a lot of small schools that just don't have the money in their budget to cancel in 2020. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

You’re the dude on the beach in Jaws laughing at Roy Scheider for overreacting to a bluefish sighting. 

Can you just opt out of the season dude? Is there anything more annoying than a cancel the season troll on a football forum? 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’re the dude on the beach in Jaws laughing at Roy Scheider for overreacting to a bluefish sighting. 

Dude got a 24-hour ban for doing exactly what he's continuing to do.  I'm sensing a long vacation coming for ol' Nico, freeing him up to give Darnold a virus two years in a row.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Dude got a 24-hour ban for doing exactly what he's continuing to do.  I'm sensing a long vacation coming for ol' Nico, freeing him up to give Darnold a virus two years in a row.

You pay attention to my bans? I’m flattered 

The Tri State area, where we actually have the virus contained:  D3 schools in the region have cancelled.  D1AA (or whatever they call it now) - Ivies not playing, Monmouth not playing, Stony Brook not playing.  RU - giant chunk of the team tested positive.  I think we will have an NFL season, but with games getting canceled and rescheduled left and right.  NCAA - I just can't see it happening till the spring.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

The Tri State area, where we actually have the virus contained:  D3 schools in the region have cancelled.  D1AA (or whatever they call it now) - Ivies not playing, Monmouth not playing, Stony Brook not playing.  RU - giant chunk of the team tested positive.  I think we will have an NFL season, but with games getting canceled and rescheduled left and right.  NCAA - I just can't see it happening till the spring.

You're naming schools that likely lose money with their football programs (outside of Rutgers).

Bama/Clemson and a boatload of other big time programs can't afford to cancel the season. I also can't see big time college football programs playing in the spring. It would be too close to the start of next year's NFL draft/training camps etc.. You would see every draft eligible player bailing on the season if they tried to play in March/April/May/June

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You're naming schools that likely lose money with their football programs (outside of Rutgers).

Bama/Clemson and a boatload of other big time programs can't afford to cancel the season. I also can't see big time college football programs playing in the spring. It would be too close to the start of next year's NFL draft/training camps etc.. You would see every draft eligible player bailing on the season if they tried to play in March/April/May/June

I understand and respect that opinion, but I'm just not seeing it.  D1 prospects are already opting out on the season to train for the draft.  I would expect that to happen more in the coming weeks/months.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

College ain’t cancelling. 

23 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Any news on my Alma mater Pace University???  The powerhouse of NYC???

• Upvote 1

Every conference is shifting to a conference only or mainly conference only schedule -- to the degree that Notre Dame is joining the ACC.

I'm skeptical college football happens at all, but FBS independents are totally hosed so this is no shock for UConn who likely won't have a program (or at least an FBS program) much longer.

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Any news on my Alma mater Pace University???  The powerhouse of NYC???

they still have a team?  thought they went the way of St John's and Hofstra and dropped FB.  played in HS w/ a guy who walked on at Pace.  

17 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

I understand and respect that opinion, but I'm just not seeing it.  D1 prospects are already opting out on the season to train for the draft.  I would expect that to happen more in the coming weeks/months.  

It's very tricky for these kids. If they bail on the year (or their school chooses not to play) it will be tough for NFL teams to draft players who haven't played in a year.

We see kids ranked as top 10 players in August, end up getting drafted in the 5th round the following April because of one bad season. NFL teams will never use top draft pick capital on kids that opt out (unless you are talking about a Trevor Lawrence type no brainer). 

11 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

they still have a team?  thought they went the way of St John's and Hofstra and dropped FB.  played in HS w/ a guy who walked on at Pace.  

They’re D2. Giants used to practice at their facility back in the day.

• Upvote 1

What these fake health justice warriors don't seem to grasp is that players WANT to play. For many their careers and long term livelihoods depend on it. Cancelling the season means crushing their life long dreams. The way some people talk you'd think that universities were forcing players to do something they didn't want to do. 

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

THAT BEING SAID. I don't think there should be a college football season- but that  should be completely and totally irrelevant to what the NFL does IMO. Student athletes vs. paid professionals- the latter should be able to do what they want. 

Agree.  The only compensation for college  D1 players is the free education and room and board.  They don’t even get that now so college football even attempting to have a season is ridiculous 

16 minutes ago, nico002 said:

What these fake health justice warriors don't seem to grasp is that players WANT to play. For many their careers and long term livelihoods depend on it. Cancelling the season means crushing their life long dreams. The way some people talk you'd think that universities were forcing players to do something they didn't want to do. 

The only compensation college players get is the education and room and board.  Unless the schools want to start paying the players straight up cash the system doesn’t work right now 

• Upvote 1