Healthy Roster Erase Jets Concerns Over Lack of Weapons on Offense

Chris Herndon

We’ve heard it all a million times.  Be it from Jets fans, media pundits or opposing fans who do little more than look at the stat sheet, the claims of the Jets having “no weapons on offense” is one that rings true if you look solely at Gang Green’s offensive rankings, but doesn’t hold any water if you look at past performances of current players.

Two Jets who missed significant time last season were tight ends Chris Herndon and Ryan Griffin.  Should those two return and manage to stay healthy, Sam Darnold will have some quality targets in the middle of the field which could open things up if Adam Gase is willing to make one simple adjustment on offense.  Line Le’Veon Bell up at wide receiver to allow him to create some mismatches.

A simple glance at the stat sheet shows a high reception total for Bell in 2019 as he hauled in 66 passes.  However, his 7.0 yards per catch was the lowest of his career for seasons in which he did not miss significant time due to injury.  Why the drop in production?  Bell was rarely used as a wide receiver in comparison to previous years.  Bell had 66 and 77 snaps out of the slot in 2017 and 2018 respectively versus just 28 in 2020.  This, despite having a more than competent blocking back on the roster in Bilal Powell who could have easily picked up the slack in pass protection had Bell been deployed elsewhere.

But if Adam Gase were to make that one adjustment with a pair of healthy tight ends to go along with a high end slot receiver in Jamison Crowder, there’s no reason not to expect Sam Darnold to have multiple quality targets to choose from on any given play.

Consider the speedsters on the outside in Breshad Perriman and Denzel Mims and even moderate production out of that pair would make life much easier on Darnold and Gase.

This doesn’t even take in to consideration the emerging Vyncint Smith and potential fifth or sixth receiver Braxton Berrios who has shown the ability to make people miss, but hasn’t seen the reps on offense to show what he can do on a regular basis.

Nobody is going to confuse this group with the greatest show on turf, but devoid of talent is far from an accurate description, especially if Sam Darnold is as good as many of his most ardent supporters claim.

The post Healthy Roster Erase Jets Concerns Over Lack of Weapons on Offense appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
rQRlHvmXdqQ

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

Trade for Allen Robinson give up a 2nd for him. Will be a true #1. And for those who say wait till next year when he’s a free Agent well there is no guarantee he signs with us. He could re up with bears or go to highest bidder if we trade for him we have leverage to redo his contract or franchise him next year. Some will say get juju instead but I would not trade for him he’s more of a #2 or probably better in the slot and we have crowder already. Arob is a beast and puts up great #s with sh*tty qbs he would go off with Darnold As his qb. Would be the best qb arob would of played with in he’s career. I see all pro with a-rob on the jets.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Rolloffjet said:

Trade for Allen Robinson give up a 2nd for him. Will be a true #1. And for those who say wait till next year when he’s a free Agent well there is no guarantee he signs with us. He could re up with bears or go to highest bidder if we trade for him we have leverage to redo his contract or franchise him next year. Some will say get juju instead but I would not trade for him he’s more of a #2 or probably better in the slot and we have crowder already. Arob is a beast and puts up great #s with sh*tty qbs he would go off with Darnold As his qb. Would be the best qb arob would of played with in he’s career. I see all pro with a-rob on the jets.

I agree especially given the draft capital and cap space we have. Perriman has been a bust other than the 2nd half of last year, and he’s also on a 1yr deal. I love Mims but he also hasn’t taken a snap in the NFL yet and has a very limited preseason. Both Chicago and Pitt are in cap trouble and neither team has started negotiations could be a good trade. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Herndon is the most important non QB on the roster this season.  He picks up where he left off as a rookie and this could be a top 20 offense.  If Gregg Williams can manage another top 10 defense...it could be a bit of fun.

Uhh, no.  Becton and Mims are decidedly more important than Herndon.

If you mean Herndon has the potential to make the most impact this season, I can agree with that.  But outside of Darnold no players are more important in terms of development than Becton and Mims.  

• Upvote 3

putting Bell in the slot ... will take snaps away from Crowder, in his natural position  ... so not sure how on baord i'd be with that ... I don't think we moved Crowder out wide very often ... but could be wrong on that

... i would like to see Bell used as a pass catching RB better though ... more moving him out wide, away from the uncertain OL to give Sam a dump off in the flat option 

4 hours ago, SR24 said:

I agree especially given the draft capital and cap space we have. Perriman has been a bust other than the 2nd half of last year, and he’s also on a 1yr deal. I love Mims but he also hasn’t taken a snap in the NFL yet and has a very limited preseason. Both Chicago and Pitt are in cap trouble and neither team has started negotiations could be a good trade. 

aren't you worried that Allen R is not actually a good WR? A 2 at best?

• Haha 1

This article is silly. The idea that healthy bodies, albeit extremely lacking in the talent department, makes up for genuine, talented players is ludicrous. This is nothing than fans trying to have SOMETHING to look forward to. The New York Jets SUCK. That's a fact. They're the same bottom feeder they've always been. They just lost their two very best players. The Jets right now will be lucky to win 5 games. Nothing is a substitute for a GM that 1) Drafts talent and 2) RETAINS talent. Our GM thinks he's smarter than those cardinal rules. We'll see if he is, but if he doesn't make the most out of the picks he got for Jamal, then we'll realize our GM is no better than Macagnan.

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

This article is silly. The idea that healthy bodies, albeit extremely lacking in the talent department, makes up for genuine, talented players is ludicrous. This is nothing than fans trying to have SOMETHING to look forward to. The New York Jets SUCK. That's a fact. They're the same bottom feeder they've always been. They just lost their two very best players. The Jets right now will be lucky to win 5 games. Nothing is a substitute for a GM that 1) Drafts talent and 2) RETAINS talent. Our GM thinks he's smarter than those cardinal rules. We'll see if he is, but if he doesn't make the most out of the picks he got for Jamal, then we'll realize our GM is no better than Macagnan.

Fact the article is spot on.  

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Uhh, no.  Becton and Mims are decidedly more important than Herndon.

If you mean Herndon has the potential to make the most impact this season, I can agree with that.  But outside of Darnold no players are more important in terms of development than Becton and Mims.  

Absolutely. 

If we're talking about Becton and Mims being rookie stars, the Jets are probably having a pretty good season. Herndon will benefit, though, if those two guys are hits, giving Sam more time to throw and the secondary more receivers to worry about. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, JTJet said:

"Top 20 offense" easily translates into "Bottom 12 offense". 

I'm usually very pro Jet but we should be aiming higher than that lol. 

how does one evaluate an offense?  imo it's all about points scored and even more important is the points differential.  if the jets manage about 24 points per game, they will be a pretty darn good team.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, slats said:

Absolutely. 

If we're talking about Becton and Mims being rookie stars, the Jets are probably having a pretty good season. Herndon will benefit, though, if those two guys are hits, giving Sam more time to throw and the secondary more receivers to worry about. 

I think herndon’s impact on the offense will be modest if the wrs pan out.  If mims and Perriman are legit, you team them up with crowder, that’s 3 real weapons, then throw in bell who is hopefully in as good shape and motivated as is relayed in the minimal info we get.  

One thing that seems true about darnold is that he likes his TEs and will find them.  Look what darnold did for Ryan griffin last year.  His TEs don’t need to be studs, they just need to run their routes and darnold will find them.  I’m not saying that wesco and brown can be good in the jets offense, but i think guys like griffin and herndon are more replaceable assuming the wrs are legit weapons.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

how does one evaluate an offense?  imo it's all about points scored and even more important is the points differential.  if the jets manage about 24 points per game, they will be a pretty darn good team.

From the perspective of general NFL rankings, they rank by yards gained if I'm not mistaken. 

7 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

This article is silly. The idea that healthy bodies, albeit extremely lacking in the talent department, makes up for genuine, talented players is ludicrous. This is nothing than fans trying to have SOMETHING to look forward to. The New York Jets SUCK. That's a fact.

Stop already.  The media is milking Jets fans for all they're worth.  Don't fall for it.

Our roster was decimated by injuries last year, we were down to 3rd stringers all over the place.  This years roster, healthy, is tons more talented than last year's.  The Jets are going to win a lot of games and surprise a lot of people.  Losing Mosely really bothers me.  But there is talent all around the space he occupied last year and we won 6 of our last 8 games without him last year.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

From the perspective of general NFL rankings, they rank by yards gained if I'm not mistaken. 

okay but maybe that just doesn't tell the whole story.  the yardage is nice but unless there are points scored it's sort of meaningless.  in this regard if the jets are top 10 in offensive points scored they would have a darn good offense.

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Stop already.  The media is milking Jets fans for all they're worth.  Don't fall for it.

Our roster was decimated by injuries last year, we were down to 3rd stringers all over the place.  This years roster, healthy, is tons more talented than last year's.  The Jets are going to win a lot of games and surprise a lot of people.  Losing Mosely really bothers me.  But there is talent all around the space he occupied last year and we won 6 of our last 8 games without him last year.

SAR I

mosely being out is mosely's choice.  it's too bad and makes one wonder if this guy is all about the benjamins.  hard to tell but if so then mac had a horrible track record in signing guys to big contracts and then watching them not perform.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Losmeister said:

lining Bell up as wide wr is the answer? dumb sh*t.

Mm hmm

As Bell had 66 receptions last season, one would have to beleive Gase means involved in the passing game as a receiver as that was the area he neglected in 2019.  He caught the ball plenty out of the backfield.

Pretty dumb to create a mismatch and get the ball in the hands of your best playmaker?  

It's all going to come down to the offensive line.  If they can shore up in pass protection and start to provide some running lanes, the entire offense is going to benefit.

I strongly believe that Darnold handing off to Bell, Gore, and Perine and throwing to Crowder, Mims, Perriman, Herndon, and Griffin will be adequate enough for a middle of the pack offense IF the offensive line can consistently get their job done.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, rangerous said:

mosely being out is mosely's choice.  it's too bad and makes one wonder if this guy is all about the benjamins.  hard to tell but if so then mac had a horrible track record in signing guys to big contracts and then watching them not perform.

I agree and it just sucks all around, tough situation and I don't want to criticize the player.  Just disappointed that what I thought could be a shut-down D, like Top 10 in the NFL, probably can't be now.

SAR I

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

I agree and it just sucks all around, tough situation and I don't want to criticize the player.  Just disappointed that what I thought could be a shut-down D, like Top 10 in the NFL, probably can't be now.

SAR I

yes mosely has the talent to improve a defense but so does having a lot of smart players and a coach who knows how to get them all on the same page.  imo the jets have both.  they did very well last season and really, the only guy they lost was adams.  adams is a very good player and did have some impact on defense but at the same time they were able to develop a lot of younger guys and qwill (if he doesn't get a suspension) looks to be ready to play to his draft level.  not to mention williamson is coming back.  i think they have a good chance to be top 10 this season.

• Upvote 2