Jets Training Camp 8.29

Just now, Jet Nut said:

In fairness the Bills went 18 years without going to the playoffs and its been over 20 since they've won in the playoffs.  

We do have a ways to go.

Yeah but they went last year so that’s a nice start. Yet, with their history of losing Super Bowls, if they make it the game would be literally excruciating to watch as a fan. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah but they went last year so that’s a nice start. Yet, with their history of losing Super Bowls, if they make it the game would be literally excruciating to watch as a fan. 

I'll take their current situation in a heartbeat, just thinking about the patience there fans have needed for a couple of decades now

And they live in Buffalo for bonus points

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So 8-8 this year would be masterful but 7-9 last year sucked and he should have been fired?

LOL, youre consistent somewhere I guess

Last year was a fluke the way the scheduled worked out. Facing multiple 3rd string QB’s and the Bills back ups. 

We literally had the worst offense in the NFL.  And this roster is worse than last year. 

• Thumb Down 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

We’re Gonna see a lot of 22 personnel and make even some 32 and 23. And I’m fine with it.

Get bell and gore/ Perine in there with Herndon, Griffin and Wesco. Punch everyone square in the mouth for 4.7 yds a play.
By the 3rd quarter the Opposing D will be done.
That’s what I’d do. And I’m two ticks from being F’in genius!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Good thing the NFL hasn't turned into a passing league the past 5 years!

The Jets will be using a gameplan that was perfect for 1987.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Last year was a fluke the way the scheduled worked out. Facing multiple 3rd string QB’s and the Bills back ups. 

We literally had the worst offense in the NFL.  And this roster is worse than last year. 

Are you implying that Joe D made the roster worst?  Let's take a snap before we decide.  I think Sam will be running for his life unless we ground and pound or slants for a bulk of our snaps. I hope the OL can get it together, but with all the injuries, COVID opt outs and zero preseason games it's going to be unpredictable until we see them on the field. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Last year we went into the season crying about how hard the schedule was.

This year we're heading into the season crying about how hard the schedule is

Every year the schedule changes as it unfolds,  off of what we thought it would be off of last seasons numbers.  Things change from year to year and still fans dont get it.

YOU think the roster is worse.  Just you think the OL is worse.  Just you think the WRs, if healthy, are worse.

OL, WRs, TEs, LBs, CBs all better.

its you, again, crying a river and not getting 7-9 isnt a whole lot different than 8-8, except in trying to explain your narrative

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

We’re Gonna see a lot of 22 personnel and make even some 32 and 23. And I’m fine with it.

Get bell and gore/ Perine in there with Herndon, Griffin and Wesco. Punch everyone square in the mouth for 4.7 yds a play.
By the 3rd quarter the Opposing D will be done.
That’s what I’d do. And I’m two ticks from being F’in genius!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The problem with this philosophy is that this O-line isn’t really built to be a bunch of maulers.   Gase isn’t going to abandon his overall game plans and become “ground and pound” all of a sudden.  Gase loves 3 WR sets.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Are you implying that Joe D made the roster worst?  Let's take a snap before we decide.  I think Sam will be running for his life unless we ground and pound or slants for a bulk of our snaps. I hope the OL can get it together, but with all the injuries, COVID opt outs and zero preseason games it's going to be unpredictable until we see them on the field. 

Yes, I believe the roster is worse or at best flat to last year's.

Now, that's not including the rookies because we don't know what they are - As far as I'm concerned we lost our best offensive and defensive player. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Last year we went into the season crying about how hard it was.

This year we're heading into the season crying about how hard it is

Every year the schedule changes off of what we think it will be off of last season and still fans dont get it.

YOU think the roster is worse.  Just you think the OL is worse.  Just you think the WRs, if healthy, are worse.

OL, WRs, TEs, LBs, CBs all better.

its you, again, crying a river and not getting 7-9 isnt a whole lot different than 8-8, except in trying to explain your narrative

Does that mean 6-10 isn't a whole lot different than 7-9?

I wasn't talking about strength of schedule - I was talking about when we ran into certain teams - with 3rd string QB's and a Bills that were locked in position.  I wouldn't expect that to happen again.

You watched the games last year - and the back stretch of wins - did you honestly watch those wins and think - "Wow, this is a really good team?"  Of course not.

The Dallas game they looked really good - like an NFL football team - but that's really about it.

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, I believe the roster is worse or at best flat to last year's.

Now, that's not including the rookies because we don't know what they are - As far as I'm concerned we lost our best offensive and defensive player. 

So for the record, you are saying that Joe D made the roster worst or did not improve it.  Don't back out of it later down the road or next year when the Jets are wealthier and healthier. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Good thing the NFL hasn't turned into a passing league the past 5 years!

The Jets will be using a gameplan that was perfect for 1987.

@GREENBEAN may be onto something. As it is because of the CBA and limited practices football has been sloppy at the beginning of the season for quite a while now.

Add in no preseason games and the fact that nobody knows what the hell's going to happen with the pandemic, no fans, rookies and injuries Etc.

I know the word unprecedented has been beaten to death, but that's exactly what it is. We are looking at a really strange upcoming season and teams might be planning on taking the safer bet especially in the beginning.

Don't be surprised if you see a lot of fumbles, interceptions and injuries. I really don't think you'll see anybody passing for 50 touchdowns this year. I think you'll see some old school football. A lot of low scoring games that come down to a play or two in the fourth quarter.

I predict a much more even playing field literally.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alka said:

this team is going 8-8 this year.  This team is better than last year, and if Herndon and Darnold can both stay on the field, then the offense will be improved, especially with the revamped offensive line.  I believe in this defense as well.  You can acknowledge me and say I was right at the end of this season.  If Darnold and/or Herndon get injured, then all bets are off.

This has been my take a well.  I like our FA and draft moves.  However, all the naysayers on this board (and there are sooo  many of them) have me questioning everything.  Can't wait for the season to start and see what is what.  Still glass half full at this point.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

So for the record, you are saying that Joe D made the roster worst or did not improve it.  Don't back out of it later down the road or next year when the Jets are wealthier and healthier. 

I have nothing to backtrack on.

I've been very clear about my views of this roster.  The one caveat is that I'm not counting any rookies.  We just don't know what they are yet.  If they turn out to be major contributors then the team can perform better but that's not something I can account for or expect.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I wasn't talking about strength of schedule - I was talking about when we ran into certain teams - with 3rd string QB's and a Bills that were locked in position.  I wouldn't expect that to happen again.

You watched the games last year - and the back stretch of wins - did you honestly watch those wins and think - "Wow, this is a really good team?"  Of course not.

The Dallas game they looked really good - like an NFL football team - but that's really about it.

No it doesnt 

Youre making one record to be a masterful job and the other luck for a shltty coaching or who knows what.  

The record was what the record was.  The constant excuse making for our wins is laughable.  

I've said it before, go disect every W & L for the entire NFL then.  There were what 8 teams that benefited from the Jets playing a 3rd string and then a 4th string practice squad QB along with a QB with mono the first half of our schedule.  I wonder if the Bills, the Eagles and Pats fans are all whining that those wins shouldn't be wins on their records like our fans do

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No it doesnt 

Youre making one to be a great job and the other luck or who knows what.  

The record was what the record was.  The constant excuse making for our wins is laughable.  

I've said it before, go disect every W & L for the entire NFL then.  There were what 8 teams that benefited from the Jets playing a 3rd string and then a 4th string practice squad QB along with a QB with mono the first half of our schedule.  I wonder if the Bills, the Eagles and Pats fans are all whining that those wins shouldn't be wins on their records like our fans do

I agree. The record is the record.  They won 7 games last year.  

if we win 8 games this year I think it would be a masterful job by Gase.  I don’t expect the flukish things that happened last year to happen again. 

and 7-9 is NOT the same as 8-8. 

56 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We also had Darnold play a game then miss a few games because of mono. Excuses run both ways. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

if we win 8 games this year I think it would be a masterful job by Gase.  I don’t expect the flukish things that happened last year to happen again. 

Okie dokie.

I'll go with your logic

7-9, fired, he sucks.

8-8, masterful job.

The world according to who?

Covers it. 

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We also had Darnold play a game then miss a few games because if mono. Excuses run both ways. 

We were 1-7, provided 7 wins for teams like the Bills, Browns, Pats, Eagles whoever, with a mono QB, 3rd string QB and 4th string QB.

But the 6-2 finish doesnt  count to some of those same fans.  If we play it around the league, take away those withe Bills dont make the playoffs.  The Eagles dont make the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Darnold is going to be throwing to himself soon.

No matter how you feel about him as a QB, you can't say that we haven't failed him in every which way.

I understand there is cause for concern because of the WR injuries, but come on man. They completely revamped the entire offense.

Yup we let RobbY go but they brought in Perriman and Doctson, two former first-round picks, and drafted Denzel Mims who was considered one of the top wideouts in the draft.

They've brought in Moncrief and Hogan. Along with Crowder, Griffin, and Herndon returning. They also had Vyncint Smith and Berrios. That's not even counting the guys on the practice squad and the udfa's.

They drafted a left tackle in the first round and got three free agent offensive lineman. Brought in Frank Gore and drafted lamical Perine.

None of that sounds very much like failing Sam Darnold to me!

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We were 1-7, provided 7 wins for teams like the Bills, Browns, Pats, Eagles whoever, with a mono QB, 3rd string QB and 4th string QB.

But the 6-2 finish doesnt  count to some fans.  If we play it around the league, take away those wins, the Bills dont make the playoffs.  The Eagles dont make the playoffs.  

I'm certainly not taking away the wins - I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't expect that type of luck in the schedule again this year.  

Wins are wins and I've actually given Gase credit for the wins (I still think he's a bad coach) but I thought he managed the team well down the stretch.  Particularly riding the defense and playing smart football. 

I just think 8-8, with this roster, would be very hard for any coach to do and if Gase does figure out a way to get that done - then I can't argue with the fact that he did a very nice job as HC of the NYJ....

• Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You should rent an apartment with @Trolly McTrollface

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I understand there is cause for concern because of the WR injuries, but come on man. They completely revamped the entire offense.

Yup we let RobbY go but they brought in Perriman and Doctson, two former first-round picks, and drafted Denzel Mims who was considered one of the top wideouts in the draft.

They've brought in Moncrief and Hogan. Along with Crowder, Griffin, and Herndon returning. They also had Vyncint Smith and Berrios. That's not even counting the guys on the practice squad and the udfa's.

They drafted a left tackle in the first round and got three free agent offensive lineman. Brought in Frank Gore and drafted lamical Perine.

None of that sounds very much like failing Sam Darnold to me!

New doesn't mean better - it's just new.

• WTF? 1

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Okie dokie.

I'll go with your logic

7-9, fired, he sucks.

8-8, masterful job.

The world according to who?

Covers it. 

Believe what you want to believe. 7-9 and 8-8 are different, not sure why you think they're the same.  it's only a 16 game schedule, one game is a big deal.  

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm certainly not taking away the wins - I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't expect that type of luck in the schedule again this year.  

Wins are wins and I've actually given Gase credit for the wins (I still think he's a bad coach) but I thought he managed the team well down the stretch.  Particularly riding the defense and playing smart football. 

I just think 8-8, with this roster, would be very hard for any coach to do and if Gase does figure out a way to get that done - then I can't argue with the fact that he did a very nice job as HC of the NYJ....

No, you just screamed that Gase should be fired after 7-9 and should get credit for 8-8.

Call it whatever you want but consistent isnt one of them

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

New doesn't mean better - it's just new.

Not when there's a plan and pedigree. The guys we got in are definitely better. Grabbing two former first round wideouts means that somebody must have believed an awful lot in these players on their way up through the ranks. It also means that we believe our coaching staff could get the best out of them.

Also for the first time in a decade we actually have players that fit the scheme, Instead of hiring coaches who bring in a scheme that absolutely does not fit the personnel! Sheldon Richardson at linebacker ring a bell?

Best of all we got rid of that loudmouth turd who was making a mockery of himself in an effort to make our team look bad. Now we have two more first-round picks and a 3rd.

New is better.

Totally better.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Believe what you want to believe. 7-9 and 8-8 are different, not sure why you think they're the same.  it's only a 16 game schedule, one game is a big deal.  

Youre right.

7-9 and 8-8 are different.

One game difference 

Anf according to you one is fireable the other masterful

You cant change how ridiculous that sounds.

Just now, Greenbloodblitz said:

Not when there's a plan and pedigree. The guys we got in are definitely better. Grabbing two former first round wideouts means that somebody must have believed an awful lot in these players on their way up through the ranks. It also means that we believe our coaching staff could get the best out of them.

Also for the first time in a decade we actually have players that fit the scheme, Instead of hiring coaches who bring in a scheme that absolutely does not fit the personnel! Sheldon Richardson at linebacker ring a bell?

Best of all we got rid of that loudmouth turd who was making a mockery of himself in an effort to make our team look bad. Now we have two more first-round picks and a 3rd.

New is better.

Totally better.

You must not be paying attention to the Jets draft if you're going to say something like that.  

And getting rid of your best player does not make your team better - no matter if he tweets or not.