Alex Lewis and Van Roten

AFJF

Trending in opposite directions.

Lewis has been horrible over the past few weeks while Van Roten has been vastly improved.

Figured it was worth mentioning since we’ve been sh***ing on GVR all season.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

The entire line has been getting sh*t on all season minus Becton. There’s a real irony in that I really don’t think they’ve been “awful”, ie the main reason for the suckage. 

I haven’t really paid attention either though. I’d guess, total guess they’d rank like 17th-20th? A little below average but I don’t see like an Adrian Clark bad. I dunno 

• Upvote 2

Alex Lewis is dealing with "multiple shoulder issues" as of 2 weeks ago

it's not like he's gotten better he's just gotten well enough to play

those situations usually require offseason surgery 

in other words

he's playing through it the way everyone wanted KO to do 

Josh Andrews sux nuts btw and the line is better with a hurt Lewis 

the lack of depth is probably a bigger issue than Alex Lewis getting hurt and playing through it 

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

The entire line has been getting sh*t on all season minus Becton. There’s a real irony in that I really don’t think they’ve been “awful”, ie the main reason for the suckage. 

I haven’t really paid attention either though. I’d guess, total guess they’d rank like 17th-20th? A little below average but I don’t see like an Adrian Clark bad. I dunno 

After week seven, on Football Outsiders (for what it's worth),

the Jets oline was ranked 32nd in pass protection and I think around 22nd in run blocking.

At the moment after nine weeks of play, their ranking has improved to 17th in run blocking and 28th in pass protection. The jets line play continues to improve to now attain average run blocking and crap pass protection.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

the Jets oline was ranked 32nd in pass protection and I think around 22nd in run blocking.

At the moment after nine weeks of play, their ranking has improved to 17th in run blocking and 28th in pass protection. The jets line play continues to improve to now attain average run blocking and crap pass protection.

Huh interesting. I would have thought the opposite, pass blocking really hasn’t seemed “that” bad to me. It’s felt more on Darnold and bad design.

I don’t know. Maybe I set the Barr so low now. I also don’t pay that close attention.

good insight!!!!

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Huh interesting. I would have thought the opposite, pass blocking really hasn’t seemed “that” bad to me. It’s felt more on Darnold and bad design.

I don’t know. Maybe I set the Barr so low now. I also don’t pay that close attention.

good insight!!!!

I'm guessing that part of the reason pass protection is rated so bad is because Darnold was holding onto the ball too long, trying to make something happen with his non-existent wide receivers.
If the wide receivers remain healthy for the rest of the season, I am thinking the oline rating will improve...Darnold/Flacco will be able to get rid of the ball quicker.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Truth be told, Becton and Fant are the only keepers.  We're locked into McGovern for year 2 but I expect them to draft at least one interior o-lineman in the first 4 rounds.

Fant has been just as bad as GVR and Lewis.  Imo, if I had to keep any of the trash, it would be Edoga and Lewis, simply b/c they're going to be cheap and are still young and can be developed.

• Upvote 1

I think both are quality backups on a strong OL unit. The same with Edoga. 

If Clark can show he’s a starter, our biggest weakness is Center. I’d be all in on a guy Linsley, who the Packers may not be able to afford (plus the Packers have young and cheap options in the interior and would probably prioritize resigning their RT). Then draft another center in the mid rounds to develop behind Linsley and put McGovern at RG where he’s probably a better fit.

8 hours ago, varjet said:

There were a lot of good OL drafted in the 3rd round and below.  Damien Lewis, Solomon Kindley, Josh Jones, Cushenberry, Biadasz, Peart.  

JD sort of outsmarted himself I think.  

I'll buy this. I think he also did that with WR.  He's used to being with the Ravens and Eagles. This is the Jets buddy. Better get used to factoring in that whatever can go wrong DOES around here. 

8 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Thank goodness Douglas addressed the OL before the draft.

That's why we were able to draft so many WRs... oops I meant to say that's why we were able to draft only one WR, a safety, a backup QB and a punter.

You can't make this kind of stuff up. LOL.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

C and og need to be priority positions in ext years draft.  (If clark does not suddenly emerge as a starter)

Enough of this 'we can get by' oline attiude, We have the stud LT (when he plays) We need to make a dominant Oline  (See Indy last night)

I really hope JD understands this.  We know Mac put close to no value in the OL.  JD has been a bit of split personality on it.

He drafted a T in the first, but went mostly bargain bin shopping in FA to fill out the rest of the line.  I think we'll find out for sure this off-season when we have a new QB.  I don't think he can play, these one-year cheap deal games with the OL this off-season.

One more outstanding piece to this unit (LG,C, RG) will make this a very solid unit overall. 

Having 2 or more outstanding pieces (provided one of them is the blind side protector), makes ordinary pieces that much better. You don't have to have an all-pro at every position. 

Hardest find is the blind side protector. Once you have that, you can fill in fairly readily.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Thank goodness Douglas addressed the OL before the draft.

That's why we were able to draft so many WRs... oops I meant to say that's why we were able to draft only one WR, a safety, a backup QB and a punter.

You can't make this kind of stuff up. LOL.

Yeah a long term backup solution at QB is questionable as are two OL, one a possible stud at LT, a WR, a S which is a position where he may lose both of his starters and a P who could become a weapon flipping field position is dumb.

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah a long term backup solution at QB is questionable as are two OL, one a possible stud at LT, a WR, a S which is a position where he may lose both of his starters and a P who could become a weapon flipping field position is dumb.

Exactly.

glad to see we're on the same page!  :thumbup:

I kid, I kid. I know you liked this draft...

my opinion hasn't changed since draft night. Lets see how it all plays out, Ok? 

• Upvote 1

On 11/13/2020 at 12:21 PM, varjet said:

There were a lot of good OL drafted in the 3rd round and below.  Damien Lewis, Solomon Kindley, Josh Jones, Cushenberry, Biadasz, Peart.  

JD sort of outsmarted himself I think.  

Maybe. But anyone can be a good GM if they wait a year to make their choices.