Why I don’t think Sam Darnold will make it in the NFL

GreekJet

19 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Minor quibble: as bad as Gase is, Darnold isn't allowed to audible because he cannot do it. He runs the play, and that's it. On  occasion if he sees something he doesn't like, he'll call a timeout. No inside data, simply observation that Darnold looks like he's go along, get along.  But he's not gonna scream at people and call an audible ; he isn't taking charge. And that's the problem. he doesn't bleed for it. He's a nice guy, but he isn't the hellbent bastard he wants it so bad he doesn't care if he pisses people off. It's a lot like Sanchez or Smith; we're talking  about everything around him without saying reality is he's not getting it,. It's him that isn't any good. 

You are probably right, but Gase is a psychopath and it makes me feel like he doesn't even encourage Darnold to take charge. Instead he probably tells Darnold to run the play because it's a good play call and the only reason the plays never work is because the players are unable to effectuate Gase's brilliance. That said, if Darnold was a leader, he'd push back and buck the system since it doesn't work.  It's like when LT forced a fumble on a blitz against the Cards and when he came to the sideline, Parcells and BB yelled at him because he ran the wrong assignment. He did the same thing later in the game and caused another fumble and when Parcells and BB told him he had run the wrong play again, LT told well they had better put the play he ran in the playbook because it's working great.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Geno Smith is still playing QB in this league. 

Sam will have a long career if he wants it. The question is whether it will be as a starter, backup, or somewhere in between that.

Sanchez was out of the league by the age of 28, after proving he couldn't even be a QB2.  

That's Darnold's future.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Minor quibble: as bad as Gase is, Darnold isn't allowed to audible because he cannot do it. He runs the play, and that's it. On  occasion if he sees something he doesn't like, he'll call a timeout. No inside data, simply observation that Darnold looks like he's go along, get along.  But he's not gonna scream at people and call an audible ; he isn't taking charge. And that's the problem. he doesn't bleed for it. He's a nice guy, but he isn't the hellbent bastard he wants it so bad he doesn't care if he pisses people off. It's a lot like Sanchez or Smith; we're talking  about everything around him without saying reality is he's not getting it,. It's him that isn't any good. 

From Darnold's postgame press conference yesterday.  All we need to know.

“I’m super confident in Adam and the way he coaches,’’ Darnold said when asked about his dead-man-walking head coach. “Us players have got to be better. And me personally, I’ve got to play better.’’

https://nypost.com/2020/11/29/this-may-have-been-the-end-of-jets-qb-sam-darnold/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Wrong. I fell in love with the game of chess in 1997 when I was 12 years old I was in middle school the 7th grade after watching the movie searching for Bobby Fischer (my teacher Mr. Taylor introduced me to the game and gave us a homework assignment on the movie searching for Bobby Fischer); and speaking of the Netflix show, I've never watched it but as a Chess player still to this day I never liked playing Gambit's (there are multiple Gambit's to be played and declined/accepted), not just the Queen's Gambit) my favorite openings are the French defense, the Sicilian defense the Scandinavian Defense and as white I've studied the Ruy Lopez opening which has different variations over the years. 

Screenshot_20201130-124032.thumb.png.6bed852543e8206a9e735add890153e9.png

I'm not the best Chess player in the world but I've had this account for a while now and am exactly 200 games above .500 online (and have my settings where the system only matches me up against players who are rated higher than me). 

One of my favorite check mates (had him mated in every which direction) 

Screenshot_20201130-124919.thumb.png.e197e8d3121270d68edcf79063bda77a.png

Nice try, epic failure (while trying be be a JN tough guy). 

I'm not sure it's an "epic failure" to get you to write a blog in defense of your chess acumen after a cheap one-liner on jet nation dot com

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

You obviously don't watch Lawrence play. He made some beautiful accurate tightly contested balls just last Saturday. 

Yes, I’ve seen that Lawrence has some great receivers who will fight for the ball when not wide open. 

31 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

From Darnold's postgame press conference yesterday.  All we need to know.

“I’m super confident in Adam and the way he coaches,’’ Darnold said when asked about his dead-man-walking head coach. “Us players have got to be better. And me personally, I’ve got to play better.’’

https://nypost.com/2020/11/29/this-may-have-been-the-end-of-jets-qb-sam-darnold/

Pathetic. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Dupe said:

Yes, I’ve seen that Lawrence has some great receivers who will fight for the ball when not wide open. 

Then why aren't Trevor Lawrence's Clemson WRs going #1 overall? 

Maybe it's because the QB makes the WR (and not the other way around).

Did you also see three awesome WR's in Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase and Terrace Marshall Jr. @ LSU all balling out of control for #1 pick JOE BURROW? lol. 

Peyton Manning also had great WR weapons @ Indianapolis in Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne; should I now discredit Manning as a QB great? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Defense Wins Championships said:

Did you also see three awesome WR's in Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase and Terrace Marshall Jr. @ LSU all balling out of control for #1 pick JOE BURROW? lol. 

Peyton Manning also had great WR weapons @ Indianapolis in Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne; should I now discredit Manning as a QB great? 

FQBs make their own weaponz, not the other way around.

14 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Pathetic. 

Yup. Sam is absolutely pathetic. The way he sits there and defends Adam Gase is absolutely disgusting. He's just going to watch Trevor Lawrence replace him without putting up a fight. He's just going to TAKE IT while he defends Adam Gase while his NFL career is falling apart. 

Sam has no pride. No backbone. No spine and is SCARED of Adam Gase. 

Jamal Adams wasn't. At least on his way out (as Sam currently is) at least he put up a fight and made it a point to attack Adam Gase and question Johnson on why Gase is even allowed to be his head coach. Sam on the other hand is a coward. 

Jamal Adams: Adam Gase isn’t right leader for Jets

“I don’t feel like he’s the right leader for this organization to reach the Promised Land,” Adams said. “As a leader, what really bothers me is that he doesn’t have a relationship with everybody in the building. At the end of the day, he doesn’t address the team. If there’s a problem in the locker room, he lets another coach address the team. If we’re playing s—-y and we’re losing, he doesn’t address the entire team as a group at halftime. He’ll walk out of the locker room and let another coach handle it.”

Adams has used social media to complain about his contract situation and criticize the organization. On Wednesday, he lashed out at Johnson, tweeting, "We need the RIGHT people at the top. Wrong is wrong!"

I respect the heck out of Jamal Adams for exposing and attacking Adam Gase on his way out while feeling exactly the same ways us Jet fans feel about Adam Gase and I absolutely love how he blasted Christopher Johnson on social media for ever hiring Gase to begin with. 

If only Sam was more like Jamal Adams and less like Darnold maybe just maybe he'd have a fearless leader @ QB; but unfortunately he's not and unfortunately we don't. 

Sam is going to just roll over, play dead and just take it? While being on the verge of being replaced and shipped out of town for Trevor Lawrence? and he's ok with it? He's going to continue sucking off Adam Gase to the media?!?

Sam is disgusting and even more pathetic than Adam Gase ever was. 

Thnx you Jamal for exposing Gase as a locker room cancer on your way out the door and piss off Sam for not doing the same (hopefully you can join Adam Gase as your next head coach somewhere else). 

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

That looks like a superior team beating on a lesser team with dynamic play calling and yes, good quarterback play.  Lots of the highlights stem from short passes.  Pretty deep passes some to wide open receivers, some dropped in nicely. And at least one hospital ball.  I still think Sam could replicate this at the collage level.  

if Lawrence helps usher in a more dynamic offense, I’ll love it 

9 minutes ago, Dupe said:

That looks like a superior team beating on a lesser team with dynamic play calling and yes, good quarterback play.  Lots of the highlights stem from short passes.  Pretty deep passes some to wide open receivers, some dropped in nicely. And at least one hospital ball.  I still think Sam could replicate this at the collage level.  

if Lawrence helps usher in a more dynamic offense, I’ll love it 

That team who Trevor just destroyed had the Nation's #8 ranked defense and were 4th in the Country in defensive INT's... 

However, they wanted no part of Trevor Lawrence because throughout only 3 quarters he went 26/37 (70.3%), 403 yards, 2 TDs/0 INT's (two passing TDs were also called back one an absolute beautiful throw deep into the end zone) and a QB Rating of 179.6 (despite over a 1 month absence due to recovering from Covid). 

And please save me the whole "Trevor only beats overmatched teams" because...

He destroyed Notre Dame as a True Freshman during the playoffs and an undefeated 12-0 Notre Dame defense @ that...

27/39 (69.2%), 327 passing yard, 3 TD's/0 INTS and a QB Rating of 165.0. 

And against Alabama destroyed an undefeated 14-0 Alabama team (who ended up sending over 10 players into the NFL) while becoming the first and only True Freshman (STRAIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL) to ever win a National Championship Game dating back to 35 years ago of 1985 while going...

20/32 (62.5%), 347 yards, 3 TDs/0 INTs and a QB Rating of 185.4. 

(see below)

And here in 2020 if not for Trevor Lawrence the #10 team in the Country Miami Hurricanes @ 7-1 overall would currently be a top 5 and undefeated Football team (Lawrence ruined their season on them) while going...

29/41 (70.7%), 292 yards, 3 TD's/0 INTs and a QB Rating of 154.7 along with a rushing TD to add insult to injury. 

(See below). 

So please spare me the whole 'superior team beating on a lesser teams" nonsense. 

And as an FSU fan no we haven't had the best teams over the years but we always feature A+ blue chip Florida talent especially on Defense and the ways Trevor has gone undefeated against us while absolutely destroying my Florida State defense throughout his college career had left me in awe while watching him absolutely destroy our FSU defense first hand. 

19 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He's just not a natural @ the QB position. 

Why not?

Because he was a converted High School LINEBACKER. 

Anyone who knows anything about Grand Master Chess players knows that they learned the game as a small child. Learning chess @ the age of 15-16 or in your 20s-30s-40s is easily possible but can never become a natural phenom and would get destroyed by literally 3-4 year old prodigies (once off to a later start in chess life). 

You see. 

Cover two has been the same since little league. 

Man to man has been the same since little league. 

Cover three has been the same since little league. 

Etc. Etc. 

And this is why still to this day Sam Darnold still can not read a defense (pre snap or mid-play) and that's because he's not a natural and was a CONVERTED H.S LINEBACKER; he'll never clearly see the game and the speed of the game will always be too fast for him to process @ a high level (because the QB position is different, it's actually more mental than it is physical). 

You see. 

While only in middle school Trevor Lawrence's parents had him a paid professional QB trainer/coach and while only in middle school was practicing (and absolutely destroying) his future HS's Varsity football team; he's what you call and label a child phenom. 

Sam Darnold? lol he was still learning how to TACKLE @ that age of middle school (and wouldn't have been able to make it off the VARSITY practice field @ QB while a LB in middle school). 

Etc. 

Which is why when you compare Trevor's HS and NCAA numbers of statistical production to that of Sam's HS and NCAA statistical production; Sam walks away embarrassed by Trevor every time. 

Sam is not a natural. 

The more you say the more its obvious you have no idea about Darnold.  He was a top recruit at QB, not LB.  He played LB, do you even know the player? 

McShay said the other day that he gave Lawrence a grade of 97.  Luck was his heist ever at 99.  Burrow a 94.  Sam a 95.  The idea that hes not comfortable or whatever dream sequence you came up with is funny.  Sometimes payers dont work out.  You guys somehow feel the need to rip his HS career on up over it.  

Hes nit a natural, lol

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2020 at 6:55 PM, GreekJet said:

He’s just not a professional Quarterback. There is talent there (arm strength, accuracy, functional mobility), but he can’t execute a basic function of the position that even some high school kids have mastered.

Darnold watches the pass rush and doesn’t step up in the pocket. Christian Hackenberg also did this and it was part of the reason he failed so badly. 

When do you ever see Sam stay in the pocket and deliver a strike right before taking a hit? Fitzpatrick will do this and it’s why he’s had a fifteen year career in the NFL. 

The NFL has exposed this kid badly. Blitz him all day and he can’t make you pay. That’s because he doesn’t keep his eyes downfield and won’t step up in the pocket. He either looks to dump it off quickly underneath or vacates the pocket which kills the play. 

Flacco was actually able to execute the offense as designed. Darnold cannot. 

It's really quite simple with Sam. He was the youngest Qb to ever start an NFL Game. Hell, the 2019 1st overall pick is older than him. That after only playing QB for few years. He was a raw talent that needed to be developed. Bates coming out of retirement was not the best landing spot to start with. Then we go and hire a guy who doesn't bring in a legit OC or any QB coach. So a young, very raw talent who needed development gets the least development in the NFL.  Almost none. 

Add to it he played with a very weak OL his rookie year and the 32 OL in the league last year. Then there's the limited targets. It's a recipe for failure. 

He is done as an immediate starter in the NFL and that's obvious. He needs to sit on the bench of a team who actually develops player for at least a year and he has a shot.  That's the only way.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The more you say the more its obvious you have no idea about Darnold.  He was a top recruit at QB, not LB.  He played LB, do you even know the player? 

McShay said the other day that he gave Lawrence a grade of 97.  Luck was his heist ever at 99.  Burrow a 94.  Sam a 95.  The idea that hes not comfortable or whatever dream sequence you came up with is funny.  Sometimes payers dont work out.  You guys somehow feel the need to rip his HS career on up over it.  

Hes nit a natural, lol

I've known more about Darnold than you think I do. You're not the only one who knows about him. 

Some fans believe HS football as a timeline, doesn't matter. I'll agree to disagree with you. I moved from Queens to Florida where football high school football is a religion a culture and a tradition; I seen and learned first hand only 15 9th grade Freshman in High School how important it is.

And I know that HS football matters in regards to a player @ QB becoming not only the #1 Rated QB within the entire Country but the highest rated QB since Elway/Manning and the 6th highest rated prospect ever (Sam can not compare as a prospect). It means something. And it matters. 

I know enough about Sam Darnold to know that he wasn't only inexperienced @ USC coming out (what all Jet fans point out) but he was also inexperienced @ QB throughout all levels; including high school. 

Sam HS inexperience: 26 games played, 3,723 passing yards, 420 pass attempts/46 Passing TDs (22 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 defensive INT). 

Trevor HS experience: 56 games played. 13,902 passing yards, 1,335 pass attempts/161 Passing TD's (and 0 defensive tackles; because he was too good too great too early, to risk on defense and tackling). 

Let that sink in for a moment and try to comprehend absorb what you just read in bold. 

Comparing Sam to Trevor as a polished prospect coming out is worse than comparing Stephen Hill to Jerry Jeudy as prospects coming out. 

And if I were to break down their NCAA college careers but focused on every Quarterbacking statistical category known to man kind, Trevor embarrasses Sam as a prospect with production that's more glaring than their HS careers (temp me).  

I know the timeline of Sam as our Quarterback and I'm sorry if you don't...but don't ever question a football fans knowledge on Sam Darnold all because we bring up a point that he's been a completely undeveloped and inexperienced QB since day one and it took place before he ever even became "a Jet" too ala not a natural @ QB..

"Do you even know the player"? 

That was a very disrespectful remark to make. Especially to an NYJ fan who watches his every pass of every game and one who once loved him in the Rose Bowl Game vs Barkley. But I'll forgive you because you're an awesome Jet fan and JN poster. 

I know that he was a fumbling machine in HS too (18 fumbles vs Trevor's 1 ?) and was also a Fumbling/INT/Turnover Freak @ USC too) and I also know that he's a turnover machine freak here with the Jets @ the NFL, too; in other words he's completed the Trifecta @ all 3 Qb level's of being a turnover nightmare. 

Is this the part where I say sorry for knowing more about the turnover prone nightmare machine QB, than you do? 

I don't look into HS careers often with draft prospects but it's something I had to do with Trevor vs. Sam. To prove to myself and others that Trevor "wasn't Sam of 4 years ago" probably the stupidest thing I've read a couple of Jet fans say over the past couple of months so I decided to dig deeper and found out Sam was more inexperienced and a bigger turnover machine than I had originally thought (goes way beyond USC too) and was never anything close to Trevor of 4 years ago...

You see. Sam isn't a natural QB. Not his fault. Got off to a late start. And it's still hurting him today. His inability to process the speed of the game after the snap all while being inexperienced at reading disguised defense's is too much for him to handle and/or overcome. 

And that's why he's a turnover freak.

82a5dab5620963ab53473671c6e93615.gif.95097765ac0a99572c60d3127e0f2870.gif

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

It's really quite simple with Sam. He was the youngest Qb to ever start an NFL Game. Hell, the 2019 1st overall pick is older than him. That after only playing QB for few years. He was a raw talent that needed to be developed. Bates coming out of retirement was not the best landing spot to start with. Then we go and hire a guy who doesn't bring in a legit OC or any QB coach. So a young, very raw talent who needed development gets the least development in the NFL.  Almost none. 

Add to it he played with a very weak OL his rookie year and the 32 OL in the league last year. Then there's the limited targets. It's a recipe for failure. 

He is done as an immediate starter in the NFL and that's obvious. He needs to sit on the bench of a team who actually develops player for at least a year and he has a shot.  That's the only way.  

the odds?

low af

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I've known more about Darnold than you think I do. You're not the only one who knows about him. 

Some fans believe HS football as a timeline, doesn't matter. I'll agree to disagree with you. I moved from Queens to Florida where football high school football is a religion a culture and a tradition; I seen and learned first hand only 15 9th grade Freshman in High School how important it is.

And I know that HS football matters in regards to a player @ QB becoming not only the #1 Rated QB within the entire Country but the highest rated QB since Elway/Manning and the 6th highest rated prospect ever (Sam can not compare as a prospect). It means something. And it matters. 

I know enough about Sam Darnold to know that he wasn't only inexperienced @ USC coming out (what all Jet fans point out) but he was also inexperienced @ QB throughout all levels; including high school. 

Sam HS inexperience: 26 games played, 3,723 passing yards, 420 pass attempts/46 Passing TDs (22 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 defensive INT). 

Trevor HS experience: 56 games played. 13,902 passing yards, 1,335 pass attempts/161 Passing TD's (and 0 defensive tackles; because he was too good too great too early, to risk on defense and tackling). 

Let that sink in for a moment and try to comprehend absorb what you just read in bold. 

Comparing Sam to Trevor as a polished prospect coming out is worse than comparing Stephen Hill to Jerry Jeudy as prospects coming out. 

And if I were to break down their NCAA college careers but focused on every Quarterbacking statistical category known to man kind, Trevor embarrasses Sam as a prospect with production that's more glaring than their HS careers (temp me).  

I know the timeline of Sam as our Quarterback and I'm sorry if you don't...but don't ever question a football fans knowledge on Sam Darnold all because we bring up a point that he's been a completely undeveloped and inexperienced QB since day one and it took place before he ever even became "a Jet" too ala not a natural @ QB..

That was a very disrespectful remark to make. Especially to an NYJ fan who watches his every pass of every game and one who once loved him in the Rose Bowl Game vs Barkley. But I'll forgive you because you're an awesome Jet fan and JN poster. 

I know that he was a fumbling machine in HS too (18 fumbles vs Trevor's 1 ?) and was also a Fumbling/INT/Turnover Freak @ USC too) and I also know that he's a turnover machine freak here with the Jets @ the NFL, too; in other words he's completed the Trifecta @ all 3 Qb level's of being a turnover nightmare. 

Is this the part where I say sorry for knowing more about the turnover prone nightmare machine QB, than you do? 

I don't look into HS careers often with draft prospects but it's something I had to do with Trevor vs. Sam. To prove to myself and others that Trevor "wasn't Sam of 4 years ago" probably the stupidest thing I've read a couple of Jet fans say over the past couple of months so I decided to dig deeper and found out Sam was more inexperienced and a bigger turnover machine than I had originally thought (goes way beyond USC too) and was never anything close to Trevor of 4 years ago...

You see. Sam isn't a natural QB. Not his fault. Got off to a late start. And it's still hurting him today. His inability to process the speed of the game after the snap all while being inexperienced at reading disguised defense's is too much for him to handle and/or overcome. 

Your argument about his high school career really doesn’t work for me. 

#1 He was a high four star QB. It’s not like he was a walk-on LB converted QB. 

#2 He beat out upper class man Max Browne as a RS Freshman. Check out Max Brownes high school profile and get back to me. The guy was Trevor Lawrence in 2013.

You are correct that that their were red flags with Sam that we as fans didn’t want to see. The biggest red flags were that the Browns and Giants both passed on him.

My theory is that the Jets did a ton of homework on him and fell in love with his RS Freshman tape. They didn’t think he would be available to them in the draft so they didn’t dive into his sophomore play as much as they should have. The Browns and Giants did and passed. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Before you try and act like you won something, claiming a 4 star HS recruit at QB was a LB might just be the wrong way to go.  So yeah this is twice your trying to make him a LB as if that proves anything, the question stays, do you know the player?  

You fell in love with Lawrence.  That’s great but you don’t have to look for reasons to move on.  You did the same thing screaming you wanted Jeudy all night of the draft.  We got it, doesn’t take 10 pages ever time you feel like taking 

• Post of the Week 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 5:19 PM, GREENBEAN said:

Great points, I would only add Gase didn't run the offense through Bell last year, which would have taken alot of pressure off the young, work in progress Darnold.