No worse than #2 pick locked in

QB1

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Sam Darnold f*cking suuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkksssssssssssssssssss

Maybe

But I don’t have much confidence in Zach Wilson or Justin Fields being substantially better.

Build up the rest of the roster and see how it goes next season under what I assume will be a more competent HC than Adam Gase. This team isn’t competing for the playoffs for at least another 2-3 years anyway.

3 hours ago, morny said:

Some people are absolutely obsessed with trading down in the draft, regardless of circumstance, as if you get Lombardi trophies for every extra draft pick end up with. 

"Why not stick with this QB and trade down and get a haul to surround him with" - because he sucks

"Why not trade down and hope we can get one of the other QBs lower and extra picks" - because that's a huge risk we end up stuck with our current QB, who sucks

"Why not trade down so instead of the OT, we take a few o lineman and really beef out the line" - because our QB still sucks and on top of that instead of having the future HOFer tackle, we're taking risks on other o-lineman. 

We need a QB, because our QB is very bad. It's not all his fault, we have ruined him, but it's done now and we cannot change it. We need a QB. 

It's heartbreaking that it won't be Trevor Lawrence, but c'est la vie. Take a QB at 2 - sometimes the smartest thing to do is just the simplest, easier solution. There's no point getting too cute and clever. 

None of the other guys are worth a first round pick, let alone #2 overall.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Maybe eventually?

Eventually what? Fant is 28 he's not getting better at this point 

Penei Sewell is the Quenton Nelson of tackles he's an instant All Pro whoever takes him, wherever he plays 

im trying to find the last time there was a tackle prospect this dominant at the top of the draft.

Joe thomas 2008  and Orlando Pace 1997 are the names that I keep coming back to 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Eventually what? Fant is 28 he's not getting better at this point 

Penei Sewell is the Quenton Nelson of tackles he's an instant All Pro whoever takes him, wherever he plays 

im trying to find the last time there was a tackle prospect this dominant at the top of the draft.

Joe thomas 2008  and Orlando Pace 1997 are the names that I keep coming back to 

You’d know better than me I’ve never paid attention to the kid. Is he better than Mekhi?  If that’s the case draft him 

11 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Agree to disagree. Sam Darnold last year on a team with Robby ******* Anderson as the lead dog and no OL had 19 TD’s vs 13 picks in 13 games.

This year...

all new OL

all new receivers basically with no real camp or preseason

Jets didnt actually get 2 out of their top 3 receivers on the field till like week 9?

chris Herndon has turned out to be hot garbage

And above all else Adam Gase has been a ******* disaster

so while i know the above may sound like “Excuses”...IMO Darnold absolutely has the goods to be a franchise QB with a real coach, an OL and a few real playmakers. There are literally like 2 or 3 guys in all of football that can transcend bad coaching and lack of talent, Sam isnt that guy...thats ok...neither is Josh Allen, neither is Kyler Murray, neither is Lamar Jackson....list goes on.

All those things are nice excuses, but it doesn't fix

Not being able to read a defense

Consistently missing open wr's and throwing into double and triple coverages.

Taking sacks or running out of bounds behind the LOS instead of throwing it away.

Not being able to diagnose overload blitzes and hitting a hot read. 

Ask the question why does the Jets O usually do well on their first drive and them goes downhill. Does the talent disappear after one drive - No the plays are scripted for Sam so he doesn't have to make choices. When teams adjust Sam can't check out of calls to pick out mismatches. Everyone blames Gase/Loggains for this but the QB is the guy who needs to read a defense and make the right adjustments . 

I'm sorry , Sam's been put in a sh*t situation but he's his own worst enemy. 

5 hours ago, morny said:

The easiest way see how good Darnold is, is to compare him to the QBs in the exact same circumstance. So how has Joe Flacco done this year compared to Darnold. 

By pretty much any measure, Flacco has done better than Darnold. And I'm going to guess nobody thinks Joe Flacco is our future franchise QB. 

The ceiling for Darnold right now is ginger Alex Smith, and there's no way we should be passing up a QB at 2 for that. 

So, who do you pick at qb?

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Sewell can be good , but playing in the NFL vs playing in the Pac 12 is like comparing kittens to jaguars.  

We can make the case that Sewell is better at playing tackle than TL is at playing qb 

He has no flaws on film. Unless he's hiding some crazy injury or something he's the cleanest tackle prospect since Joe Thomas 

And even Thomas had that acl junior year 

12 hours ago, k-met57 said:

You 12 year olds seem to have blocks for heads, so i am going to say this slowly....your god Trevor Lawrence would be like 2-12 on this team instead of 1-13 with Adam Gase as the HC.

You might be willing to just excuse all of Sam Darnold's struggles since entering the league but not all of the rest of us are. 

Gase is terrible. But to just fault everything on him is foolish. He's not the one out there throwing the football. Darnold is.

7 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Really? Becton has 2 inches and 30 pounds on him. Do you think he will be better than Mekhi in the pros? Who gets the LT spot?

Sewell is faster and more traditionally built (more durable) 

It does not matter which one you choose for rt, they both have experience changing sides 

I guess Becton would be the rt in this case because he has more rt experience than Sewell in college and traditionally fits that power role but it is a nice problem to have

Whoever plays rt would be paid like an elite OT Trent brown, lane Johnson, Ryan ramczyk, Mitchell Schwartz, etc all got market setting deals 

the Jets would have the best tackle duo in the league and be set there for a decade

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

We can make the case that Sewell is better at playing tackle than TL is at playing qb 

He has no flaws on film. Unless he's hiding some crazy injury or something he's the cleanest tackle prospect since Joe Thomas 

All I can say is remember Tony Mandarich - you never know how a young kid will handle the next level. 

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

All I can say is remember Tony Mandarich - you never know how a young kid will handle the next level. 

Remember Orlando pace 

We can all name names 

Tony mand, besides being the world's most obvious juicer, had major drug and alcohol addiction issues if memory serves 

That kind of thing gets picked up more in the pre draft process these days 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I like Sewel, I like the idea of two great tackles but Still say we need a Great center or guard more than another tackle.  If we trade down from 2 we might end up with a excellent OG and C out of the deal and still be looking at a good weapon pick or two.

Yes!  The Jets need to stop dicking around at C with JAG vets and draft the next Mangold, a guy both a stud athlete (for the position) and the captain of the line. McGovern slides to RG.

Sewel does make sense if the Jets are concerned about Becton's health (possibly related to his weight) issues going forward. They need to lockdown a long-term LT, a guy that can play all 16 games.  Move Becton to RT for Sewell and try to basically eliminate enemy edge rushers.

However, I doubt JD will double dip OL so early. He'll want to trade down a few spots (with Sewel then gone). If he really does want to replace Darnold, he'll spend that first pick, wherever it ends up, on a QB.

12 minutes ago, peebag said:

So, who do you pick at qb?

I’d pick Fields or Wilson - to my untrained eye, both look like very good prospects. And more importantly, both seem rated as very good prospects by people who evaluate for a living.

There’s more risk involved in taking them over Sewell, but it’d be like when we took Adams over Mahomes/Watson because he was a sure fire top player, and we wanted to keep evaluating Hackenberg. 

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ok, I’m ready to take this guy and build a line anyone can look good playing  behind. Silly set of bookends. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Remember Orlando pace 

We can all name names 

Tony mand, besides being the world's most obvious juicer, had major drug and alcohol addiction issues if memory serves 

That kind of thing gets picked up more in the pre draft process these days 

Since I'm under the impression that you're one of the people on here who knows something about offensive line play, is a great center considered a more valuable position than a great RT?  

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Since I'm under the impression that you're one of the people on here who knows something about offensive line play, is a great center considered a more valuable position than a great RT?  

not really 

Centers are important, more important than guards but neither are as important or hard to find as tackle 

and it should be noted that "more important" is not relevant to just raw talent.

Quenton Nelson is "Just" a guard he's also an instant hall of famer that makes everyone around him better 

Sewell, besides being an excellent physical prospect is also the emotional leader of that offense / team 

18 minutes ago, morny said:

I’d pick Fields or Wilson - to my untrained eye, both look like very good prospects. And more importantly, both seem rated as very good prospects by people who evaluate for a living.

Fields is a 1 read guy who can't even make that 1 read and Wilson is undersized with two bad shoulders 

or in other words "rich man's Geno" and "poor man's Chad" 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

not really 

Centers are important, more important than guards but neither are as important or hard to find as tackle 

and it should be noted that "more important" is not relevant to just raw talent.

Quenton Nelson is "Just" a guard he's also an instant hall of famer that makes everyone around him better 

Sewell, besides being an excellent physical prospect is also the emotional leader of that offense / team 

Fields is a 1 read guy who can't even make that 1 read and Wilson is undersized with two bad shoulders 

Fair enough if that’s what you feel. Personally I think both are being damaged by comparisons to Lawrence, and both look better coming out than Darnold did (who since had had three years of increasing awfulness).

If Joe Douglas passes on them for Darnold and they go on to be studs (and Darnold doesn’t, which seems the most likely scenario right now), and that’s him done here.

45 minutes ago, bitonti said:

not really 

Can't tell you how wrong you are about this . 

You guys are all aholes.  Giving up on Sam, he is 23 years old for godsakes!   No weapons, no line, terrible coach.  I do not care if you are Johnnie Unitas or Peyton Manning you are not going to succeed in the NFL when your odds are stacked up that way against you.  PERIOD!  The issue is the front office from Mike Maccagnan to Joe Douglas (in a smaller sense) not providing adequate support for the kid. 

I still believe that the best solution is to build our offense around Sam and get a QB in here that will challenge him, whether it is in the draft or Free Agency.