Fant was better in pass block than Becton

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, slats said:

They can upgrade the RT position in a variety of other ways than to take Sewell, which would be a complete waste of an incredibly valuable asset. They've got free agency, and plenty of picks after #2.

Jets have much bigger holes on the roster. LT is not a problem, and RT isn't a problem you fix at #2 overall. It's either a QB or a trade down or both. 

Sorry. Disagree. Miss on QB at #2 & your f*cked. The reason the Jets are where they are RIGHT NOW is because they missed generational players in the 1st round! Macc stayed at #3 & took the BPA which was QW, turned out he was BPA at that spot. Last year JD got Becton, now we have two 1st round studs, 1st time in over a decade of misses. 

Now we're at #2 & Sewell is the BPA available after Lawrence. We save over 8 million moving on from Fant that can be used for another hole in the roster in a great free agent season. If JD is sticking with Darnold for 1 more year, no way in hell he's taking a QB at #2 when he has Seattles pick & #34! JD is smart enough to know that he can't have any misses at the top of the draft! 

He'll have almost 100 million to shop & fill holes. I keep hearing WE HAVE TOO MANY HOLES to take a generational LT & we already have one! I want JD to go f*cking shopping & go get some veteran talent in here so we can finally compete & win some damn games! Anything he doesn't spend goes back into the Johnson's pockets! 

This is one of the best free agent classes in YEARS and the players available line right up with our needs! We're getting a new Head Coach, we have some decent players, they'll be some excitement heading into free agency & having 9 picks in the draft. It's no secret in the league that the Jets are set up really nicely for 2021. 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Sorry. Disagree. Miss on QB at #2 & your f*cked. The reason the Jets are where they are RIGHT NOW is because they missed generational players in the 1st round! Macc stayed at #3 & took the BPA which was QW, turned out he was BPA at that spot. Last year JD got Becton, now we have two 1st round studs, 1st time in over a decade of misses. 

Now we're at #2 & Sewell is the BPA available after Lawrence. We save over 8 million moving on from Fant that can be used for another hole in the roster in a great free agent season. If JD is sticking with Darnold for 1 more year, no way in hell he's taking a QB at #2 when he has Seattles pick & #34! JD is smart enough to know that he can't have any misses at the top of the draft! 

He'll have almost 100 million to shop & fill holes. I keep hearing WE HAVE TOO MANY HOLES to take a generational LT & we already have one! I want JD to go f*cking shopping & go get some veteran talent in here so we can finally compete & win some damn games! Anything he doesn't spend goes back into the Johnson's pockets! 

This is one of the best free agent classes in YEARS and the players available line right up with our needs! We're getting a new Head Coach, we have some decent players, they'll be some excitement heading into free agency & having 9 picks in the draft. It's no secret in the league that the Jets are set up really nicely for 2021. 

You can disagree all you want, Joe Douglas won't take Sewell at #2. All he is to JD is potential trade bait. He's either gonna fall for one of the QBs, or he's gonna take the bounty and move down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 12/29/2020 at 1:56 PM, genot said:

I don't know if Cimini was trying to make point or not. It tells us though that Fant is an above average RT, and we probably should go in a different direction if we're thinking about Sewell

No, it tells us we have two well below average pass blockers.

Becton was 51 out of 65 and Fant was 46 out of 65.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

We are drafting Sewell at 2.  Accept it.  This franchise is actually going to do something smart for a change

There is close to no chance we're drafting Sewell.  It's almost certain to be a QB and if not they trade down.

I don't think you can call Becton a bust yet,  Let's give him some time.

Guys, I love numbers. I’m an accountant and numbers speak volumes to me. They generally don’t lie. But sometimes, even I acknowledge, you have to put numbers aside and trust your gut/eyes. 

Our offense is putrid. Horrible. Inept. Pick an adjective. Somehow, it looks way worse when becton is not playing.

As of right now, from what I’ve seen of becton, I’m happy with him. He’s probably the only fun thing on our offense to watch. The Sal Pal’s and Rich Cimini’s of the world can post all the pff stats in the world and I won’t change my opinion until I actually see the kid failing on the field WITH MY OWN EYES.

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We are drafting Sewell at 2.  Accept it.  This franchise is actually going to do something smart for a change

JD knows Wentz & Foles great play was the result of playing behind a great Oline. Look at the trend & it's very similar to the Jets after 2010. Jets Oline started deteriorating (age), Dbrick, Mangold, Woody. 

We went right down the toilet! 

Look at Philly, Peters got hurt, Kelse their great Center got hurt, Lance Johnson has had a bad foot issue. 

Went right down the Toilet! 

You could have talent at EVERY SPOT on offense, WRs, TE, RB, it doesn't matter, you ain't getting sh*t done consistently without a great Oline! 

Thats why you see such a swing in scoring in this league with no rhyme or reason. But there is a reason, when an average Oline goes against a weak defense, they move the ball, when they go against teams that can rush the passer? They don't move the ball & give up sacks on 3rd & long! 

The Jets defense beat the Browns & Rams! The offense stalled & didn't put either team away with multiple chances. Marcus Maye made the play needed to close out the Rams & Basham made the play to close out the Browns. Keep building the OFFENSE! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

JD knows Wentz & Foles great play was the result of playing behind a great Oline. Look at the trend & it's very similar to the Jets after 2010. Jets Oline started deteriorating (age), Dbrick, Mangold, Woody. 

Look at Philly, Peters got hurt, Kelse their great Center got hurt, Lance Johnson has had a bad foot issue. 

You could have talent at EVERY SPOT on offense, WRs, TE, RB, it doesn't matter, you ain't getting sh*t done consistently without a great Oline! 

Thats why you see such a swing in scoring in this league with no rhyme or reason. But there is a reason, when an average Oline goes against a weak defense, they move the ball, when they go against teams that can rush the passer? They don't move the ball & give up sacks on 3rd & long! 

The Jets defense beat the Browns & Rams! The offense stalled & didn't put either team away with multiple chances. Marcus Maye made the play needed to close out the Rams & Basham made the play to close out the Browns. Keep building the OFFENSE! 

I agree, we shouldn't use any premium resources (FA or the draft) on defense.

But you do need a QB.  There's no scenario where taking Sewell makes sense.

If you want to build the Oline and not take a QB - trade down and pick up the best guard/center in the draft...or two of them.

And hope Becton gets better.

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You're in for a disappointment. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

But you do need a QB.  There's no scenario where taking Sewell makes sense.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

You're in for a disappointment. 

so much certainty 

standard bet offer

50 to charity of the losers choice 

i win if they take Sewell at 2 

you win if they take a QB at 2 

trade down is a push, any other position at 2 is a push 

this is easy money for the charity of your choice, I've already made this deal with someone called Wonderboy and maybe someone else. let's get your bets in folks taking all action 

This is good news. Becton looked good this year and will likely get better with more experience and a nfl offseason.

the fact that Fant was able to hang is a good thing. We don’t necessarily have to go RT as he is still in his prime. Good job by Douglas finding two tackles.

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

so much certainty 

standard bet offer

this is easy money for the charity of your choice, I've already made this deal with someone called Wonderboy and maybe someone else. let's get your bets in folks taking all action 

You're on!

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

so much certainty 

standard bet offer

Feel free to send a check to St. Jude's today. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

This is good news. Becton looked good this year and will likely get better with more experience and a nfl offseason.

the fact that Fant was able to hang is a good thing. We don’t necessarily have to go RT as he is still in his prime. Good job by Douglas finding two tackles.

Fant ranking vs. the rest of the league

Run  - 63 out of 65

Pass - 46 out of 65

Take these numbers for what they'r worth, but if you're going to use them to judge the player...It's very clear we need a new RT.

I wonder if this may come down to how Becton has been approaching his offseason before the 2021 draft.  If he's working hard at lowering his weight a bit/working on general fitness, that's a good sign that he can stay at LT.  If not, taking Sewell makes sense, but only if they plan to move Becton to RT where he can just be more of a mauler.

No way should the Jets draft a RT with the #2 pick.  If you take Sewell to be the new LT, then fine.  But like many of you, my first guess is JD trades back a few picks to get another early 2nd rounder and another pick (another 2nd rounder next year?).

He could have back to back drafts with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

What are Sewell’s red flags besides sitting out the season due to a pandemic?

And the crazy thing is when I call Fields Geno 2.0 I’m actually being nice.  Geno is actually better than the last dozen QBs to come out of Ohio State

He missed 7 games in the 2 years he did play due to injury.  Leaving him a grand total of 20 games at the college level.  He also tore up his shoulder as a High School senior.  

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Whitworth gets injured and suddenly our defense makes Goff look like Hackenberg 

It’s fairly obvious the Jets have to take Sewell at 2 overall.  A lot of mock drafts are saying it now.  It’s the right move.  

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

so much certainty 

standard bet offer

This is the post of the year 2021.