Becton Worries

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

tysons power did not put abnormal stress on his knees...

i do understand what you just said. i just think its not a good analogy.

now, i am NOT SAYING, that i think his weight is DEFO a problem...  only that it COULD posiibly be. no more.

Munoz was 6'6" 278

Becton is 1" taller and weighs 360+    thats 80 lbs

Yeah, I'm going to stick by it. I think Becton can play at his weight and I think his size is what made him a first round pick.

I think he'll get stronger as he ages and we'll be happy we have a road grader at the position. I think most rookies miss time because of injuries they probably won't suffer as they get used to the NFL.

41 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I think the guy could very well be a dominant player but there are going to be question marks about his huge size and his health moving forward. Is he just too big and not able to sustain that size as a professional athlete ? Would the Sewell option not be that bad if Douglas is not sold on the QB's of this draft ? Personally I think we go QB and I want to go QB but Becton worries me a lot I do not think he can sustain an NFL career at his enormous size and stay healthy. I'm not sure if this has been brought up but it seems like something we as Jets fans would avoid like the plague due to the promise he shows but I'm very worried at this stage with all the nagging injuries that have pushed him out of games so early in his career.

Do you guys think he can sustain a long career at LT for the Jets or are you as worried as I am moving forward ?

fwiw...I'd agree.  Will he last more than the league average at that combination height/weight?  Big question mark moving forward.

8 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

tysons power did not put abnormal stress on his knees...

i do understand what you just said. i just think its not a good analogy.

now, i am NOT SAYING, that i think his weight is DEFO a problem...  only that it COULD posiibly be. no more.

Munoz was 6'6" 278

Becton is 1" taller and weighs 360+    thats 80 lbs

Why would you use an analogy from a player that played 30+ years ago? We have 300lb. DE's in the league right now and RB's that push 250lbs. You're comparing apples to oranges. 

When Munoz played 300lb. players were rare, now they are the norm.

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

most rookies miss time because of injuries

data on MOST rookies miss time, please. sounds like ur just sayn stuff to me.

Brick and Mangold started all games rookies years. So did Chris Ward, ...

its fine we sorta disagree. the point, REALLY, is that there was NEVER A POTENTIAL that Typons power could possibly be a physical negative. (maybe psychologically depedning on it , but thats a different cuppa)

27 minutes ago, phill1c said:

The notion that his size is a liability is just about as ridiculous as saying Mike Tyson's punching power is a problem.

He's a young guy, not used to the NFL. Didn't Q Williams have a similar first-year experience?

Which Philc guy are you?  I forget.

42 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The constant injuries were bothersome for sure. But he was really one of the only bright spots of the season even so.

Just because he was one "bright" spots on an awful roster - doesn't actually change the reality that he may just be too big a man to be steadily healthy.

also, to be concerned about Bectons durablity does NOT have to be tied to his size...

players at all positions and all sizes can have the unfortunate injury bug.....

and my concern about him has more to do with the latter than with the former ( though i acknowledge that weight COULD be  a factor)

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

data on MOST rookies miss time, please. sounds like ur just sayn stuff to me.

Brick and Mangold started all games rookies years. So did Chris Ward, ...

its fine we sorta disagree. the point, REALLY, is that there was NEVER A POTENTIAL that Typons power could possibly be a physical negative. (maybe psychologically depedning on it , but thats a different cuppa)

Ok. I think I'm going to stick with my analogy and my reasons for it.

I'm not worried about Becton and I think the focus on weight is misguided. I mean, he had an ankle and a pectoral muscle injuries. Those don't sound like weight issues to me.

47 minutes ago, QB1 said:

He hasn’t really missed any significant time. Him leaving for a series every few games isn’t the end of the world. Until he suffers multiple significant injuries you are just panicking.

He has missed two full games, two half games, and multiple plays throughout the year. Brick never missed a snap other than a designed play, or a practice in 10 seasons. I'm not panicking, but he absolutely has missed significant time. 

I was worried about Becton leading up to his first start. Now that concern still occurs but I'm not really worried about it. 

Picking Sewell would be a great move as it could possibly fix an awful OL. I'd like to fix the OL and draft a good RB so we can play some ground and pound. IMO, fixing the OL is very much an attainable goal so long as you use your picks wisely. 

1 minute ago, NYJ1 said:

I was worried about Becton leading up to his first start. Now that concern still occurs but I'm not really worried about it. 

Picking Sewell would be a great move as it could possibly fix an awful OL. I'd like to fix the OL and draft a good RB so we can play some ground and pound. IMO, fixing the OL is very much an attainable goal so long as you use your picks wisely. 

I was all for drafting Sewell with the No. 2 pick...until today. 9 TDs and 21 INTs in the division ain't cuttin' it.

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

He missed like 2 games and went out early in a few.

And by comparison D'Brick never missed a snap in 10 years. The kid is too heavy.  Too much pressure on his joints.  I love his play and I think he can get his weight down, but I liked Wirfs over him for the simple fact that Wirfs worked his ass off for years to break the Iowa school hang clean record (450 lbs), whereas Becton stated he wanted to play at 350, but came into the combine 16 pounds heavier than that.  Looking at him today, his belly was hanging below his waist.  He's gotta be every bit of 380.  And this is his rookie year.  That's reason for concern in my book.

2 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

And by comparison D'Brick never missed a snap in 10 years.

The very definition of "anecdotal evidence" which, of course, proves nothing. But, I understand that concerns for one person can be not concerns for another.

MOreover, Ferguson was never the run blocker that Becton is.

Jonathan ogden had a long career at a similar size.

I think people forget, he hurt his shoulder and Gase ran him back out there with 3 days rest for a Thursday night game where he made it worse.   That was one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.

6 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

And by comparison D'Brick never missed a snap in 10 years. The kid is too heavy.  Too much pressure on his joints.  I love his play and I think he can get his weight down, but I liked Wirfs over him for the simple fact that Wirfs worked his ass off for years to break the Iowa school hang clean record (450 lbs), whereas Becton stated he wanted to play at 350, but came into the combine 16 pounds heavier than that.  Looking at him today, his belly was hanging below his waist.  He's gotta be every bit of 380.  And this is his rookie year.  That's reason for concern in my book.

This is true and yet I remember Brick (who I loved) was not nearly as dominant as Mekhi at this stage in pass and (by a wide margin) run blocking. 

Mekhi is special. 

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I don't care about his massive size.  Anyone looking at that kid sees that he's grossly over weight/out of shape.  Jets team trainers need to get Becton in a program where they build up his stamina and trim some of that fat off him.  If not, he might have a coronary during a game.

I'm someone, and I think he's fine at his size. I don't think he's any more overweight than most NFL OL and DL. 

He's a rookie. I think he'll be fine at his size with a typical NFL offseason.

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

I'm someone, and I think he's fine at his size. I don't think he's any more overweight than most NFL OL and DL. 

He's a rookie. I think he'll be fine at his size with a typical NFL offseason.

I hope you're right.  All I'm saying is put the kid in an off-season training program.  I'm no expert--and not doubting you--but he looks flabby for someone his age.

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I hope you're right.  All I'm saying is put the kid in an off-season training program.  I'm no expert--and not doubting you--but he looks flabby for someone his age.

I hope so too. 

And I hope, maybe, they take Sewell so they aren't so dependent on him.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I don't care about his massive size.  Anyone looking at that kid sees that he's grossly over weight/out of shape.  Jets team trainers need to get Becton in a program where they build up his stamina and trim some of that fat off him.  If not, he might have a coronary during a game.

He came in at 17% body fat at 364lbs. at the combine. What do you think is a realistic weight for someone that is that big naturally to play offensive line? He's just a massive human being, a freak of nature.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

He came in at 17% body fat at 364lbs. at the combine. What do you think is a realistic weight for someone that is that big naturally to play offensive line? He's just a massive human being, a freak of nature.

He lost time because of a chest injury and an ankle. 

I'm not sure that has anything to do with his weight. 

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

He lost time because of a chest injury and an ankle. 

I'm not sure that has anything to do with his weight. 

It don't, but we still have fans complaining about finally hitting on our first round draft pick. 

Not too mention Sewell missed half of his freshman year with injury and has only made it through one entire college season healthy after taking an entire year off. Becton never missed a game due to injury over three college seasons and played at the exact same weight and slightly heavier at times.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'll back off.   You're probably right.   Forget it.   For whatever reason, he looks out of shape to me.  WTF do I know anyway?  Not much.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'll back off.   You're probably right.   Forget it.   For whatever reason, he looks out of shape to me.  WTF do I know anyway?  Not much.

No worries bud, just pointing out some facts. Could he afford to lose 10-20 lbs, sure because he looks heavier now than he did during the combine. The truth is that he's still a kid at only 21 and will refine his body over the next couple of years like all OLineman do.

If he was as out of shape as some are complaining about he never would have played as well as he did as a rookie. 

• Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, RobR said:

It don't, but we still have fans complaining about finally hitting on our first round draft pick. 

Not too mention Sewell missed half of his freshman year with injury and has only made it through one entire college season healthy after taking an entire year off. Becton never missed a game due to injury over three college seasons and played at the exact same weight and slightly heavier at times.

They are just angry because Darnold sucks.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, phill1c said:

The very definition of "anecdotal evidence" which, of course, proves nothing. But, I understand that concerns for one person can be not concerns for another.

MOreover, Ferguson was never the run blocker that Becton is.

Becton can be special certainly.   Bit the most important ability is availability. Brick was a specimen. Knotted muscle from head to toe. And that kept him healthy. The argument isn't about which is the better player, its about Mekhi missing time so soon in his career.  Is he a 12 year foundation player, or is he Kris Jenkins who was dominant,  but unable to stay on the field. 

2 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Becton can be special certainly.   Bit the most important ability is availability. Brick was a specimen. Knotted muscle from head to toe. And that kept him healthy. The argument isn't about which is the better player, its about Mekhi missing time so soon in his career.  Is he a 12 year foundation player, or is he Kris Jenkins who was dominant,  but unable to stay on the field. 

Reasonable.

But, again, I don't think the benchmark should be for the MOST DURABLE OT in Jets history. How about just judging him on his own. He missed some time. I'm not going to make as much on it considering it happened in his rookie year in a non-standard off season. On a 2-14 team.

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I think the guy could very well be a dominant player but there are going to be question marks about his huge size and his health moving forward. Is he just too big and not able to sustain that size as a professional athlete ? Would the Sewell option not be that bad if Douglas is not sold on the QB's of this draft ? Personally I think we go QB and I want to go QB but Becton worries me a lot I do not think he can sustain an NFL career at his enormous size and stay healthy. I'm not sure if this has been brought up but it seems like something we as Jets fans would avoid like the plague due to the promise he shows but I'm very worried at this stage with all the nagging injuries that have pushed him out of games so early in his career.

Do you guys think he can sustain a long career at LT for the Jets or are you as worried as I am moving forward ?

I thought this post was from 2019 because this was peoples concerns last year. 

Then he went out and Dominated the Bosa's, Got Pro Bowl votes and became one of the best building blocks on our roster.  Hell be a top 5 LT in the next few years.