Becton Worries

I think the guy could very well be a dominant player but there are going to be question marks about his huge size and his health moving forward. Is he just too big and not able to sustain that size as a professional athlete ? Would the Sewell option not be that bad if Douglas is not sold on the QB's of this draft ? Personally I think we go QB and I want to go QB but Becton worries me a lot I do not think he can sustain an NFL career at his enormous size and stay healthy. I'm not sure if this has been brought up but it seems like something we as Jets fans would avoid like the plague due to the promise he shows but I'm very worried at this stage with all the nagging injuries that have pushed him out of games so early in his career.

Do you guys think he can sustain a long career at LT for the Jets or are you as worried as I am moving forward ?

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I think the guy could very well be a dominant player but there are going to be question marks about his huge size and his health moving forward. Is he just too big and not able to sustain that size as a professional athlete ? Would the Sewell option not be that bad if Douglas is not sold on the QB's of this draft ? Personally I think we go QB and I want to go QB but Becton worries me a lot I do not think he can sustain an NFL career at his enormous size and stay healthy. I'm not sure if this has been brought up but it seems like something we as Jets fans would avoid like the plague due to the promise he shows but I'm very worried at this stage with all the nagging injuries that have pushed him out of games so early in his career.

Do you guys think he can sustain a long career at LT for the Jets or are you as worried as I am moving forward ?

Stop

Just now, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The constant injuries were bothersome for sure. But he was really one of the only bright spots of the season even so.

Oh I agree no doubt he's a bright spot but his size worries me. I would love to see him get down in the 340 range or even 330 and be a bit quicker and take a little pressure off his body . I hope the Jets think this would help him along as well. Remember Kris Jenkins a dominant monster of a man who could not sustain that type of weight and it hurt him big time later in his short career. When I hear Becton is pushing 380 during the season that just worries me.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, QB1 said:

He hasn’t really missed any significant time. Him leaving for a series every few games isn’t the end of the world. Until he suffers multiple significant injuries you are just panicking.

He missed like 2 games and went out early in a few.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Oh I agree no doubt he's a bright spot but his size worries me. I would love to see him get down in the 340 range or even 330 and be a bit quicker and take a little pressure off his body . I hope the Jets think this would help him along as well. Remember Kris Jenkins a dominant monster of a man who could not sustain that type of weight and it hurt him big time later in his short career. When I hear Becton is pushing 380 during the season that just worries me.

He's never go to play at 330 and many NFL tackles play around his weight. He's still only 21 and most players at Oline don't hit their peak until the 24-25 year old range.

He also never missed games in college while playing at the same weight.....he's just a huge human. At 330 he would look emaciated. 

I have to agree with those who say "Becton is the least of our worries..."

I think the injuries are not AT ALL related to weight. They are related to youth: a rookie often has injuries like the ones becton has had. And, he probably plays if the game (today) meant anything.

8 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He's going to need to be put on a diet/workout regimen this off season to help him lose weight. I'm no expert but I got to believe he's playing too heavy. I can't see how not dropping some pounds won't help him with some of these minor injuries he keeps getting. 

A full/non Covid off season should benefit him.

He had 17% body fat at 364lbs. at the combine......he's not a bodybuilder.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I wonder if he's still celebrating his 2-14 record as if he just won a Championship (on Twitter). 

Mekhi-Becton-Kobe-Bryant-Jets-Lakers.thumb.jpg.145ef59246019c60bae2e48ea5624763.jpg

Hey Becton. Real fans don't celebrate 1-13 and/or 2-14; Rookie. 

He's not a fan. He's an OL who hadn't won in the NFL previously.

10 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He's going to need to be put on a diet/workout regimen this off season to help him lose weight. I'm no expert but I got to believe he's playing too heavy. I can't see how dropping some pounds won't help him with some of these minor injuries he keeps getting. 

A full/non Covid off season should benefit him.

Exactly my thoughts. I just think he’s slightly out of shape, he needs to do what Q Williams did over the last year and just find the right diet/workout plan so he can get into great shape and dominate next season. 

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Not sure why you said that since you didn't back it up with anything. 

In my opinion Becton's size is his greatest attribute as Tyson's punching power was his.

I hope you can comprehend what I just said. 

tysons power did not put abnormal stress on his knees...

i do understand what you just said. i just think its not a good analogy.

now, i am NOT SAYING, that i think his weight is DEFO a problem...  only that it COULD posiibly be. no more.

Munoz was 6'6" 278

Becton is 1" taller and weighs 360+    thats 80 lbs

35 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

People are giving you a hard time, but your concerns aren’t unfounded.  Early, but not unfounded.

Thing is, nothing to be done about it now, because Sewell is not a smart option, and the bold is right... We need a QB.  So again, let’s just hope for the best.

• Upvote 4