Best GM in League breaks down drafting a QB high.

Shockwave

28 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

We have a stud GM.

Based on what?

Making the hard choice of picking Becton or Wirfs? 

Or was it drafting a 2nd round WR who isn't even top 10 in his rookie class?

Must be when he traded a all-pro caliber Dlinemen for a 3rd round pick used to draft a below average safety.

Maybe it was him pissing off a all-pro Safety so he could trade him away for two late 1st rounders.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 14

44 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Chris Ballard to me is the best in the business. I have never heard a GM be this upfront on not wanting to draft a QB high. 

We have a stud GM. Looks like we are going to have a stud coaching staff. Theres no way we are drafting Fields now - He just doesn't fit a SF system. So Wilson is the only option there. Do these guys really all want to put their jobs on the line for small QB with a large injury history that faced such poor competition. Especially with Wilson only being successful for one year? I just can't see it. 

I would absolutely be happy with building this team the way the Colts did. Instead of drafting Sam or any QB high they built their team the right way. They now have perhaps the best roster in the league. 

Trade down all day. 

Do these guys really all want to put their jobs on the line for a QB who has been bottom 5 for three straight years, with injury concerns to boot?

You're passing on a QB because you're afraid of him becoming what Darnold already is... 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Based on what?

Must be when he traded a all-pro caliber Dlinemen for a 3rd round pick used to draft a below average safety.

Maybe it was him pissing off a all-pro Safety so he could trade him away for two late 1st rounders.

Is that even remotely close to a bad thing? 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Do these guys really all want to put their jobs on the line for a QB who has been bottom 5 for three straight years, with injury concerns to boot?

Except their jobs aren’t on the line with Darnold next season.  They would still have the opportunity to draft another QB should Sam not improve.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Based on what?

Maybe it was getting Bills fans so worried and obsessed with what he does to run to a Jets board whenever he does something praiseworthy and then try to twist it around

Must suck to hear every panel praise JD and talk about how well he is regarded all morning.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Except their jobs aren’t on the line with Darnold next season.  They would still have the opportunity to draft another QB should Sam not improve.  

That is true, but if Fields and/or Wilson end up being good it lights a fire under our FO quickly. Could easily be a 2017 situation.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Ballard is right, that’s why if you don’t absolutely love the QB, you don’t take him at 2.  Once you draft the QB high, you are tied to that kid.   

This

Frankly, I don’t consider trading down and giving Darnold another chance some kind of doomsday scenario. Especially since we’ll now be implementing an offense that is tailor made for him.

The Jets just became more attractive to potential FA’s as well.

Imagine, let’s say, the Jets walking away with DeVonta Smith, Najee Harris and an EDGE like Rousseau just from the 1st round alone this year.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Grandy said:

That is true, but if Fields and/or Wilson end up being good it lights a fire under our FO quickly. Could easily be a 2017 situation.

IF they are good, and IF they are not?  Again, IF you’re not totally comfortable taking the QBs at 2 you don’t.  JD and Saleh have no urgency to draft a QB at 2 this year.  They may very well fall in love with one of the kids and take him at 2, but if they don’t love any of them they have other options to improve the team.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Didn't he inherit Andrew Luck? Kinda easy to make that statement when you already had a QB when you took the job.

I'd be interested to see what he does the first time he actually has a bad team with no QB and he has a high draft pick.

Great post. Keep going with the Jacoby Brissets and Phil Rivers of the world and see how fast they run your ass out of the building.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Based on what?

I agree.  I am not sure why, after a 2-14 season, anyone would be sold on Douglas.  I am hopeful, and not a hater or anything, but so far, he has done absolutely nothing.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I been very patient with you but this is a Jets  board. If you take a look at what our GM’s have done in the last decade it’s reasonable to be hopeful for Joe Douglas. Don’t need you coming here acting like an ass because a Jet fan is excited. Go pick up the the remains of the broken and burned table you dove through to celebrate your playoff win and enjoy your teams success/ good luck! 

He has no idea what he's talking about. I just give him a thumbs down and move on lol.

28 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Ballard is right, that’s why if you don’t absolutely love the QB, you don’t take him at 2.  Once you draft the QB high, you are tied to that kid.   

And if you DON'T draft a QB, you are in essence committing to Darnold, a 4th year QB who has proven NOTHING in this league, was the worst QB in the league last year, AND is worse today than the day he came into the league. Committing to Darnold imo is career suicide.  The Jets are drafting a QB or trading for one.  Darnold is done here.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Didn't he inherit Andrew Luck? Kinda easy to make that statement when you already had a QB when you took the job.

I'd be interested to see what he does the first time he actually has a bad team with no QB and he has a high draft pick.

He did have no QB after Luck's unexpected retirement. Did he draft a QB? No. He went out and got Philip Rivers.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Butterfield said:

Just imagine if they draft another qb high and that one fails too.  

The dolphins played better with an old veteran than they did with the young draftee at qb. 

They built in a safety valve with all of these picks knowing QB's sometimes bust. The key is admitting it early. Hell Tua's rookie season was a lot better than Darnolds and it seems they're willing to move on. The Jets PR machine is trying to sell Darnold year 4. Let that sink in.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Based on what?

Have you run out of kleenex' yet?

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

They built in a safety valve with all of these picks knowing QB's sometimes bust. The key is admitting it early. Hell Tua's rookie season was a lot better than Darnolds and it seems they're willing to move on. The Jets PR machine is trying to sell Darnold year 4. Let that sink in.

1.  Its not like anyone has ever tried to use the media as a smokescreen, or as a way to increase the trade value of a player.

2.  What if Douglas just doesn’t like a qb that high in this draft?  Should he draft one, even if he has reservations about it?

3. There are other ways to get a qb.  The jets could trade down and draft one.  They could use the 23rd pick, or some other pick to get one.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

And if you DON'T draft a QB, you are in essence committing to Darnold, a 4th year QB who has proven NOTHING in this league, was the worst QB in the league last year, AND is worse today than the day he came into the league. Committing to Darnold imo is career suicide.  The Jets are drafting a QB or trading for one.  Darnold is done here.

They may trade for one, they may sign a FA, they may very well draft one.   My point was, that if you don’t love one of the QBs you don’t take one at 2.   Besides, even they went with Sam, you still aren’t “committing” to him beyond this season.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I disagree with that. In the past with exorbitant contracts being doled out to 1st round draft picks that was certainly an issue. Now with the rookie salary cap system in place that's no longer true. Problem is GM's/coaching staffs have a hard time admitting their choice didn't pan out and they stick with them far too long. Josh Rosen in Arz is a prime example to debunk the theory of your tied to a pick. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

1.  Its not like anyone has ever tried to use the media as a smokescreen, or as a way to increase the trade value of a player.

2.  What if Douglas just doesn’t like a qb that high in this draft?  Should he draft one, even if he has reservations about it?

3. There are other ways to get a qb.  The jets could trade down and draft one.  They could use the 23rd pick, or some other pick to get one.

Agreed. I think the first step needs to be cutting the chord on a failed draft pick. If they dont like Fields or Wilson (I dont) then bring in a more competent passer like Fitz or Dalton who can at least get the younger players the ball.

Just now, Butterfield said:

So the only 2 choices that Douglas has is go with Darnold or draft a qb at 2?  Even if he isn’t sold on a qb at 2?  Seems like there are more options than that to me.  

As I said, they can also trade for a QB.  Several viable options seem to be available.  Unless the Jets are going to wait for a generational QB to fall into their laps like Lawrence was touted to be, they have to keep swinging for the fences at the QB position until they get their guy.  The Jets have to take advantage of being in a position to hand pick the QB of their choice at #2. It's not often a team is in a position to do that, so unless they feel all of the QB prospects do not have 1st round ratings, they have to pick the one they like the best not look back.  3 years later, if he's not the guy, rinse and repeat.   

• Upvote 2