Dwayne Haskins signs with the Steelers. The reshuffling has begun.

32EBoozer

2 minutes ago, extmenace said:

The hate for Darnold is strong.

Don’t hate him. He’s a polite likable young man. If one of my daughters brought him home, all good (pending mono test). But FQB he ain’t and I would like the Jets to win football games.

2 minutes ago, jago said:

sam has value holding clipboard should watson materialize. unless he’s included in a deal to Hou there will always be qb desperate teams either in tc or early in the season.

And if so, capture whatever value you can from Darnold in last year of his contract.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

With Drew Brees, Philip Rivers And then Rothlisberger retiring teams are scrambling for able-bodied quarterbacks. Joe Douglas may be able to grab a late first round pick or second round pick for Darnold

The Steelers were one of my favorite landing spots for Sam. This is not good news imo.  One less spot willing to sign and let Sam sit for a year behind the big boy. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Don’t hate him. He’s a polite likable young man. If one of my daughters brought him home, all good (pending mono test). But FQB he ain’t and I would like the Jets to win football games.

You don't know that. You just think you do. I don't know that Sammy is a FQB but where he is here he should be given an opportunity with a competent supporting cast. The Jets have mismanaged Sammy and your solution would only have the Jets repeat the same process of ruining young football players. It's irresponsible and it needs to change.... So if you think you're going to win simply by firing/replacing the QB you are sadly mistaken.

38 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

You don't know that. You just think you do. I don't know that Sammy is a FQB but where he is here he should be given an opportunity with a competent supporting cast. The Jets have mismanaged Sammy and your solution would only have the Jets repeat the same process of ruining young football players. It's irresponsible and it needs to change.... So if you think you're going to win simply by firing/replacing the QB you are sadly mistaken.

I also don’t know the sun will rise tomorrow but I am pretty confident in the evidence that leads me to make the prediction that it’s very likely. And why does every Darnold defender make the argument that moving on from Darnold won’t immediately lead us to the promised land? Just because there is more to do doesn’t lead to the conclusion that we should just put our hands up and accept more terrible QB play.

2 hours ago, doitny said:

sam must be traded before march or we pick up his 5th year option at 25m. it would be a lot harder to trade him then. even though i think we will be on the hook for most of that cap hit.

NFL teams have until May 3 to officially pick up their 2021 options on players who are entering the final year of their rookie deals. These fifth-year options can only be exercised on first-round draft picks. The salaries are determined by where players were selected and what position they play.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

NFL teams have until May 3 to officially pick up their 2021 options on players who are entering the final year of their rookie deals. These fifth-year options can only be exercised on first-round draft picks. The salaries are determined by where players were selected and what position they play.

The Jets aren’t required to pick up 5th year option.  We could trade for Watson or Garropolo and still have Sam as a backup

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

With Drew Brees, Philip Rivers And then Rothlisberger retiring teams are scrambling for able-bodied quarterbacks. Joe Douglas may be able to grab a late first round pick or second round pick for Darnold

In a world where Darnold can return a first-rounder, Watson is worth 10 of them.

• Upvote 4

Darnold was bad in 2020. Granted, his WRs were hurt the 1st 8 games, TEs got hurt, Herndon sucked azz, the Gore project but the most frustrating thing was watching Sam miss on early down easy throws making 2nd & 3rd downs that much tougher. 

Now, if you think about the offensive scheme it always seemed like the offense operated in a phone booth. 3rd downs were like ground hog day, where Sam would take the shotgun snap, pull the ball down, run to his right cutting the field in half & force a ball down along the sideline. 

I remember playing Miami when Gase was the coach & it was always low scoring boring azz games without a lot of creativity. When he had Manning, he didn't have to coach at all. Same with Shotty in Seattle, 90% of that offense was Russell Wilson making plays on his own & now he's fired. 

The most exciting part of this Shanahan offense is the stretch running game & misdirection. These are the offensive designs that get WRs & TEs open and keep defenses guessing. Very excited about the offense. 

sam must be traded before march or we pick up his 5th year option at 25m. it would be a lot harder to trade him then. even though i think we will be on the hook for most of that cap hit.

its a team option. that means its jets choice to extend or not.
its also may not march.
if they trade him before this deadline, does new team retain the option?
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

so its May and not March, thanks

• Upvote 1