2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

Just now, Mike135 said:

No, I meant 2019.  

2020's oline was bad.  Horrible.  29th ranked in the league. 

But 2019's oline was disgraceful.  Sam was back there playing volleyball trying to catch snaps.  Our #1 offensive play was the WR screen (I still have nightmares seeing screens).  It was the only play that Sam had time to run without running for his life.

What changes in 2021? 

17 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

I didn't say that rookie QB's can't look good behind bad o-lines.  I said putting rookies behind bad o-lines is a terrible plan, and everyone knows that.  Do you think Dak would have developed into a franchise QB if he wasn't playing behind the Cowboys line?  Someone said that a good QB can make a bad o-line look good.  Yea, maybe Tom Brady getting the ball out quick.  Herbert didn't make his o-line look good.  Neither did Burrows.

Wild that this is is a polarizing idea.

Putting any QB behind a bad Oline is a terrible plan.  Its March 19th , let's see what the Oline looks like after FA and the draft before jumping to conclusions on the Jets current plan. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Jeeeeeez

Simmons is more durable, younger and has more INT.  Maye missing
2018 hurt his value:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2969860/justin-simmons

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2980110/marcus-maye

The reasonable tag on Maye (10 million) also hurts his negotiating
a long term deal 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

What changes in 2021? 

So far... just Becton in his 2nd year.

If JD uses two high draft picks on the oline (something like our second 1st rounder and our 2nd rounder)...  the entire game changes.

I think you can get a very good Center and Guard with those picks.

Add Pitts after trading back our first pick, and I legitimately believe we finish 2nd in the division.  Wildcard worthy if CB is addressed as well.

15 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

But what position do you want them to play? They aren't improvements for positions they don't play.

Plus you have to look to see if they are a fit for the Zone blocking scheme that is a staple of our new HC and OC's background.  Linemen aren't simply interchangeable , just like 3-4 4-3 DL aren't .

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure they can.  We just don't notice it, because good QB's help make some of the OL's metrics go up.  Quality pre-snap reads, getting the ball out quickly and/or throwing guys open cure many ills on offense.  Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson have had some dreadful OL's over the years.  Hasn't stopped them from being elite QB's.  And we're seeing more and more mobile QB's in the game today that protect against bad OL play as well. 

Darnold can't do any of the things necessary to lift the overall play of the offense, hence why the OL always looks so bad.  Meanwhile they ignore how long Darnold tends to hold onto the ball.  Supposedly we can't evaluate Darnold without improvements to the OL and offense as a whole.  I look at it another way:  We can't evaluate the receivers and OL this team has properly until the Jets find a competent QB.  Mims and Perriman, for instance, looked very good with Flacco under center, and the OL mostly looked fine.  I imagine this might be a big reason why Douglas didn't go after Thuney/Linsley more aggressively.  

Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson, Tom Brady, and Deshaun Watson, for that matter, have all played well behind bad offensive lines.  Justin Herbert did it for a year.  That doesn't mean that a majority of QBs can be successful behind bad offensive lines.  

I'm not talking about Thuney or Linsley or Trent Williams.  I'm even taking centers off the table because Douglas believes in McGovern.  There were plenty of linemen available that would have upgraded the guard position this offseason.  It was a clear need for the Jets and so far we have no upgrade.

If Fant or Lewis, or GVR, or any of the other guys that came in at guard had any examples of being successful before Sam Darnold ruined their ability to block, you might have a point.  But then they probably would have signed for more than 1 year commitments, right?

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets had the 2nd most available cap money in the NFL and we are cherry picking bad teams free agents with the exception of Davis and Lawson who are decent. 

Remember its FA, just because a player is available doesn't ,mean they want to sign with the Jets. Thuney had a choice Jets or SB team in the Chiefs . Linsley chose to play in SD with proven playmakers on O and Herbet at QB . Maybe the Olinemen we want don't want to play with Darnold or a first time HC/OC. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Putting any QB behind a bad Oline is a terrible plan.  Its March 19th , let's see what the Oline looks like after FA and the draft before jumping to conclusions on the Jets current plan. 

Sure, but I don't see why ANYONE would rather pay Feeney and GVR instead of outbidding the Ravens so that Zeitler didn't have to move his family out of NY.

Would it be better to go into the draft with 2 holes at guard, or 1?

Does ANYONE think that the team is better off heading into the draft with Feeney, Cole, Lewis and Crowder instead of Zeitler, Verrett, and Juju?  Is there a significant difference in cap hits?  Is there anyone on the Jets roster that couldn't be resigned next year or the year after if they signed Zeitler, Verrett, and Juju?

• Post of the Week 1

On 3/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Put your BIG Boy pants on and man up!!

Bob's Big Boy - Weird California

hahahahaha

Oh Don't get me wrong. If I had a team I would punch them square in the face. Not like Gase playing scared all the time.  But they do it how I would like us to. 13 personnel is my fave. 

2 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

Sure, but I don't see why ANYONE would rather pay Feeney and GVR instead of outbidding the Ravens so that Zeitler didn't have to move his family out of NY.

Would it be better to go into the draft with 2 holes at guard, or 1?

Does ANYONE think that the team is better off heading into the draft with Feeney, Cole, Lewis and Crowder instead of Zeitler, Verrett, and Juju?  Is there a significant difference in cap hits?  Is there anyone on the Jets roster that couldn't be resigned next year or the year after if they signed Zeitler, Verrett, and Juju?

Is Zeitler better at Zone Blocking than Feeney or GVR ? I'll let the GM and coaching staff answer that question as I have no idea. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Is Zeitler better at Zone Blocking than Feeney or GVR ? I'll let the GM and coaching staff answer that question as I have no idea. 

He was a starting G on a 12-4 a couple of years ago.  Yes he was not great at C but that was also an entire unit issue.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Meanwhile nobody has heard a peep about Jamal Adams and his new contract. Guess he’s playing another year without one?? 

I like Jamal, and want to keep Sam (unless we can get Watson).

But it'd be hilarious if the Jets n Seahawks swapped QBs, and Jamal was then on a rebuilding team as the Jets started winning.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Remember its FA, just because a player is available doesn't ,mean they want to sign with the Jets. Thuney had a choice Jets or SB team in the Chiefs . Linsley chose to play in SD with proven playmakers on O and Herbet at QB . Maybe the Olinemen we want don't want to play with Darnold or a first time HC/OC. 

This is the part routinely overlooked by many fans.  We like to say JD failed to acquire someone, but there is also the very real, and valid concern players have for playing for the Jets. We have the #2 overall pick after all. It's going to be a min before we are a ddesire destination.  

Thuney played in our division during the worst stretch of Jets football ever. You think he was excited to join the party down here?  AND over the Chiefs no less? 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

So far... just Becton in his 2nd year.

If JD uses two high draft picks on the oline (something like our second 1st rounder and our 2nd rounder)...  the entire game changes.

I think you can get a very good Center and Guard with those picks.

Add Pitts after trading back our first pick, and I legitimately believe we finish 2nd in the division.  Wildcard worthy if CB is addressed as well.

We are not trading back, no matter how much you ask for it.

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I like Jamal, and want to keep Sam (unless we can get Watson).

But it'd be hilarious if the Jets n Seahawks swapped QBs, and Jamal was then on a rebuilding team as the Jets started winning.

Just think if Watson had the brains to hire a gay massage therapist he wouldn't have problems today..  

• Haha 1