2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

44 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

No one has ever thought a team should build a roster entirely through free agency. It’s a ridiculous comment.

I’m happy to give Douglas the benefit of the doubt this early in his 2nd full offseason, but he needs to do a better job leveraging cap space. The reason these guys are signing 1 and 2 year deals is bc no one is willing to commit to them. Maybe they work out better than last year’s 1 year deals that he seems to  be keeping around after disappointing seasons. Plenty of teams have upgraded their olines and secondaries this offseason. We haven’t. 

How many difference makers will develop from last year’s draft? Enough that we’re signing backups for them when they haven’t ever been productive NFL players? You want to build through the draft? Don’t go into it with glaring needs so you can draft BPA as often as possible.

There’s plenty of upgrades still available in free agency. A QB has very little chance to succeed behind a line as bad as what the Jets had last year.

Well, it depends on the draft and on the free agents class. 

This draft class is as well, pretty deep when it comes to Ots and Cb, so I don't see how JD can't adress those issues there.

On last year's draft picks, I think that between Becton, Mims and Hall it's not absurd to consider that you have 3 quality starters and some depth with Perine and Davis.

2 hours ago, Vader said:

Mekhi Becton says hi

PFF Oline rankings...

29. NEW YORK JETS

The Jets, like the Dolphins, threw a lot of resources at the offensive line this offseason. That included a first-round pick spent on Louisville tackle Mekhi Becton, who impressed in his rookie season. His 74.3 PFF grade ranked 19th out of 38 qualifying left tackles despite battling injuries, and he showcased that his rare blend of size and athleticism could cause serious problems for defenders.

Overall, however, it was a disappointing season for the offensive line in New York. They allowed pressure in 2.5 seconds or less on 28% of their dropbacks — the worst rate in the NFL. The line wasn’t creating many lanes in the run game, either. The Jets averaged just 1.1 yards per carry before contact per rushing attempt in 2020 (30th). Once again, they’ll have to look to add pieces to their offensive line this offseason.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

Well, it depends on the draft and on the free agents class. 

This draft class is as well, pretty deep when it comes to Ots and Cb, so I don't see how JD can't adress those issues there.

On last year's draft picks, I think that between Becton, Mims and Hall it's not absurd to consider that you have 3 quality starters and some depth with Perine and Davis.

He can, but what if the best player available is an edge or WR? I still think he’ll sign a corner, but signing Feeney instead of Zeigler was a miss for Douglas. I think Verrett was too, but there are still CBs available. He needs to sign a nickelback too. 

Its crazy but this is the off season we have been dreaming of for years!! The GM methodically improving the team singing new talent to upgrade positions and make the roster better while setting us up for the future.

Long term building throught the draft. We have sign what 6 or 7 new staters? I asked for 10-15 at the beginning of FA. If we hit 10 I will be estatic .

So far so good

1 hour ago, chad2coles said:

There’s plenty of upgrades still available in free agency. A QB has very little chance to succeed behind a line as bad as what the Jets had last year.

More accurate statement:  Bad QBs make their offensive lines look bad, while good QBs can make bad offensive lines look good.

Justin Herbert had great success, as a rookie, behind a worse OL than the one the Jets had last season.  

That’s certainly no excuse for failing to upgrade at 1-2 of the OL spots this offseason.  But if Douglas finds a real QB, the unit will look acceptable either way.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, chad2coles said:

I’m happy to give Douglas the benefit of the doubt this early in his 2nd full offseason, but he needs to do a better job leveraging cap space. The reason these guys are signing 1 and 2 year deals is bc no one is willing to commit to them. 

I sympathize with why you feel the way you do about leveraging cap space. The second part is just flat out wrong. It’s a unique year with Covid fallout impacting cap space and agents are seeking short contracts where appropriate to bridge to next year or the year after to sign more cap liberal numbers. JD is simply playing the market for the interim. 

There is still lots of premium talent out there, it’s a buyers market - and if you aren’t trying to chase the trophy, there’s no reason to get to yourself and the cap tied up in heavy contracts with 28+ yr olds 

stay the course my friend. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I sympathize with why you feel the way you do about leveraging cap space. The second part is just flat out wrong. It’s a unique year with Covid fallout impacting cap space and agents are seeking short contracts where appropriate to bridge to next year or the year after to sign more cap liberal numbers. JD is simply playing the market for the interim. 

There is still lots of premium talent out there, it’s a buyers market - and if you aren’t trying to chase the trophy, there’s no reason to get to yourself and the cap tied up in heavy contracts with 28+ yr olds 

stay the course my friend. 

It’s not flat out wrong. I’m not just talking about this offseason. Fant, Lewis, GVR would have taken longer commitments from other teams, but the offers weren’t there so they signed deals with very little guaranteed passes that  

I understand it’s a buyer’s market. I’m aware the cap went down. But guys like Verrett and Zeigler had obvious ties to the Jets, filled important holes, and signed reasonable deals while Douglas signs Feeney and has yet to sign a CB. Fuller just signed a 1 year deal for the same money Crowder is making this year on a non guaranteed contract.

Thuney got too much, so did Trent Williams. I’m fine w them believing in McGovern at C. I like Douglas, but he’s got to step it up. Last year the excuse was he was signing place holders to get rid of Mac’s bad contracts. He needs to nail this offseason. So far I don’t see how you could say he’s done that 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Maybe the plan to improve the offensive line is to bring all these blocking wide receivers up front.

Or the majority of runs in the Zone blocking scheme head to the outside away from the big uglies. WR blocks down on LB and Safeties leaving RB vs. CB. CB are pussies….RB wins

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Still a lot of premium talent. This has NOT been your typically free agency.  Usually 1/3 of them are long gone. 

I feel like some of the complaining here for a guy like Cole is based on Fantasy Football logic. ....Real football is a chess game and guys like Cole may never lead the team in stats but will make a handful of drive sustaining plays that win games. 

how many Super Bowls did NE win on the legs and shoulders of James White, Kevin Faulk, Troy Brown etc 

winning is all that matters. Out smarting your opponent is often the difference 

Totally agree.  I blame fantasy football for people’s infatuation with defining receivers as “WR1”, “WR2” etc.. rather than defining them for their roles with in the context of their offense.   Some of the most meaningless debates are over is so and so a #1 WR, a #2 WR?  Means little.   

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I’m getting the feeling all these 1 year deals is a gm just filling out a roster of a team that he knows will be really bad again this year, while he continues to build through the draft

competitive tank

Love me some 'competitive tank' - somewhere in the world there is a tshirt being made.

Edited by Dunnie

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Totally agree.  I blame fantasy football for people’s infatuation with defining receivers as “WR1”, “WR2” etc.. rather than defining them for their roles with in the context of their offense.   Some of the most meaningless debates are over is so and so a #1 WR, a #2 WR?  Means little.   

Maybe true for some .. for me its about the one guy on your team who will not be denied and wins 75-80% of the 50/50 balls thrown his way. Also a requirement is hands of glue ... no drops

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

New York Jets

RB Josh Adams: Re-signed a contract. (Team)

WR Keelan Cole: Signing a one-year deal worth $5.5 million. (Ian Rapoport)

WR Corey Davis: Signed a three-year, $37.5 million contract. (Ian Rapoport)

DE Carl Lawson: Signed a three-year, $45 million deal that includes $30 million guaranteed and has a max value of $47.4 million. (Ian Rapoport)

LB Jarrad Davis: Signed a one-year, $7 million deal. (Ian Rapoport)

S Marcus Maye: Received the franchise tag.

DB Justin Hardee: Signed a contract with the Jets. (Team)

DB Lamarcus Joyner: Signing a one-year, $4.5 million deal. (Ian Rapoport)

7 hours ago, chad2coles said:

No one has ever thought a team should build a roster entirely through free agency. It’s a ridiculous comment.

I’m happy to give Douglas the benefit of the doubt this early in his 2nd full offseason, but he needs to do a better job leveraging cap space. The reason these guys are signing 1 and 2 year deals is bc no one is willing to commit to them. Maybe they work out better than last year’s 1 year deals that he seems to  be keeping around after disappointing seasons. Plenty of teams have upgraded their olines and secondaries this offseason. We haven’t. 

How many difference makers will develop from last year’s draft? Enough that we’re signing backups for them when they haven’t ever been productive NFL players? You want to build through the draft? Don’t go into it with glaring needs so you can draft BPA as often as possible.

Wait, no one wants to commit to us?  LOL.  Players sign where the money is.  Players want security, rarely bet on themselves.  

Youre kidding yourself if you think players are taking 1 year deals so they can run away early.  Theyre taking 1 year deals because thats what JD offered and it was the best deal available.  Not the SOJF claim of the opposite

Hes trying to get a lot of good players over a couple of better players because this team needs players

Its like those who want us to trade down allowing us to draft more players, lesser valued players, to fill more holes.  Then turn around and dont get the same strategy with FA

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wait, no one wants to commit to us?  LOL.  Players sign where the money is.  Players want security, rarely bet on themselves.  

Youre kidding yourself if you think players are taking 1 year deals so they can run away early.  Theyre taking 1 year deals because thats what JD offered and it was the best deal available.  Not the SOJF claim of the opposite

Hes trying to get a lot of good players over a couple of better players because this team needs players

Its like those who want us to trade down allowing us to draft more players, lesser valued players, to fill more holes.  Then turn around and dont get the same strategy with FA

Your're correct. Most of the deals teams are agreeing to are 1 yr deals. Jets aren't the outliers here.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Your're correct. Most of the deals teams are agreeing to are 1 yr deals. Jets aren't the outliers here.

the cap is going to explode starting next year because of the 100 billion TV deal so makes sense

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Maybe true for some .. for me its about the one guy on your team who will not be denied and wins 75-80% of the 50/50 balls thrown his way. Also a requirement is hands of glue ... no drops

there's like 4 of those guys in the entire league.  maybe if we ask really nicely, GB will let the jets have davante adams

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

"The agreements will commence at the start of the 2023 season and run through the 2033 season"

Also, the Union negotiated for the league to spread the Covid decrease over 3 years. Meaning that this year's cap should have been lower under the formula in the CBA, and the league and union agreed that instead they'd basically borrow from the next two years' cap to subsidize this year's. So the cap won't be exploding for two years.

Which is one reason, btw, I don't particularly like Douglas's "3 year deals only" strategy; there's a good chance that any contract number for years 4 and 5 that you have a player signed to this year will be an extreme bargain come 2024 and beyond, and most players are cuttable by year 4 anyway if things don't work out

• Upvote 1