Watson documenting his off-season drama?

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dude, read the thread.  lmfao.  You have to be kidding me.  

I've added you to my ignore list, I believe you should do the same to me if you believe what you believe about me.  

For what it's worth, I think the Jets are the most likely candidate to land Watson (Texans will want to land their choice of QB to keep their fanbase happy) and I'll very excited once it's done - just right now I think the cost of him are too prohibitive to build a winner around him and keep him happy.

10 hours ago, MykePM said:

First off, please show any evidence that Watson expected the Texans to hire one of the coaches that he recommended.  He reportedly wanted to have some input into the process, and the Texans didn't even bring his guys in for initial interviews (until they brought Bienemy in as damage control after news of Watson's feelings of being disrespected became known).  Would you say that if your most important player and team leader recommends a couple of prospective hires, it would be wise to bring them in for a cursory interview - even if you don't want to hire them?  Can you understand why that player would feel insulted if you didn't even go that far, or are you of the "shut up and play" mindset, even with the most valuable player on your team?  Either way, this is more about respect than control.  Watson wants desperately to help the culture of his struggling team, and they won't even entertain his suggestions.

As it turns out, Watson's recommended coaches (Saleh and Bienemy) were significantly more qualified than the out-of-left-field choice that they ultimately made (Culley, a nice guy who had only been an assistant coach, never a coordinator, and was arguably a failure at that) - which added insult to injury.

The "photo" of the "weird dude" is relevant, because he is a team chaplain who was elevated to arguably the highest football decision-making role on the team - which is a level of dysfunction that the Jets haven't hit in their worst moments.  If you're Watson, the "weird dude" becomes especially relevant when he starts calling your mother and telling her that he disapproves of your life choices (as has been reported).

Again, all of this has been discussed many times in many threads, so either you're not buying any of these reasons, or you'd just prefer to cling to your version of the truth against all evidence to the contrary.

How dare you interrupt.   He likes painting his own personal narratives.  Facts and truths don't apply.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

For what it's worth, I think the Jets are the leading candidate to land Watson..

and I think pretty much everyone here will be fully on board with it - and get behind it - once the move it made.  

I know I for sure will.  

I have concerns now and they're largely around not being able to win with him in the short term and him doing this again in 2 years. 

I thought that's what we do here, is express our views on Jets decisions. 

But once he's a Jet the discussion will move to how to build around him and give him the tools to succeed.

What Jets decision is being discussed in this thread?

I see Texans decisions.  See Deshaun Watson decisions.

This isn’t a thread about the Jets. This is a for people to come, shake their fist, and type-cast Deshaun Watson.

So, please, spare me your attempts at being cerebral about it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Problem is the Texans don’t have a plan.  They literally traded the best WR in football for a running back and a 2nd

The lions didn’t do us any favors robbing the Rams of 2 firsts for Stafford.  If it wasn’t for that trade setting the market ridiculously high Watson is a jet already 

The "2 firsts for Stafford" is a big fat distortion of the reasons for it.  Much of that compensation was for Lions absorbing Goff's bad contract, not for the acquisition of Stafford.  If you think the GMs are going to be using that trade without taking that into consideration, then you are way way off.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

In a sense, yes.

Once upon a time men didn’t feel the need to weigh in on the affairs of other men. Now it’s constant.

So yes, there’s a lot of figurative crying going on in this thread.

80% + of what is posted on this board is men weighing in on the affairs of other men. What are we all doing here?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Right? How do we know it’s narcissism and ego? It really doesn’t strike me as such. As ordinary folks, we can quit a toxic job. We don’t know all the details of what’s going on there, but JJ Watt wanted out - and actually got it. Nobody commented on his ego. Nobody called him a diva. In fact JJ is like Captain America to a lot of football fans.

These are labels that generally get used for some, but not all, players that stand up for themselves. There’s typically some that generally are commenting on behavior, but there’s others that are expressing an unconscious bias. 

Personally, I’ll wait for the facts to come out, because why i don’t want to lend my voice to the latter.

Plus, it’s not my business.

I think one difference is what they are griping about.  So far we only on ow deshaun didn’t have a say in picking a gm or coach....without any details.   I wouldn’t say that is a great look at this point.  I am not sure what unconscious bias you are referring to.  

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Was Watson being egotistical when he gave his first ever game check to an equipment guy who lost his house during the hurricanes?  Or do you really get to see that ego when he spends his offseason building houses with Habitat for Humanity? Never mind, lets just treat him like a villain for something we know absolute nothing about like at all, because that seems to be the more important thing to judge him on.  So ridiculous.  Nobody ******* has a clue a. if this is even true and b. what it's about but never mind that, lets just paint Watson as a  ego driven ahole because of a rumor.

Watson has been one of the classiest and most benevolent stars in the NFL.  This thread is chock full of misinformation and baseless opinions.  Good for Watson documenting the horrible management of that team.  It probably needs to be revealed so the Houston fans can see the truth.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Was Watson being egotistical when he gave his first ever game check to an equipment guy who lost his house during the hurricanes?  Or do you really get to see that ego when he spends his offseason building houses with Habitat for Humanity? Never mind, lets just treat him like a villain for something we know absolute nothing about like at all, because that seems to be the more important thing to judge him on.  So ridiculous.  Nobody ******* has a clue a. if this is even true and b. what it's about but never mind that, lets just paint Watson as a  ego driven ahole because of a rumor.

Settle down there big fella.  I don’t think o painted him that way at all.  Wanting out bc you don’t get your way on choosing the HC (pretty rare for a player) and documenting it all can certainly be viewed as narcissistic.  But I was actually justifying it in my post saying he’s smart to do so.

I am generally old school and don’t think it’s good for the sport if the players have too much power.  I don’t like unions.  That’s just me. I think they are treated pretty dam well.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Right? How do we know it’s narcissism and ego? It really doesn’t strike me as such. As ordinary folks, we can quit a toxic job. We don’t know all the details of what’s going on there, but JJ Watt wanted out - and actually got it. Nobody commented on his ego. Nobody called him a diva. In fact JJ is like Captain America to a lot of football fans.

These are labels that generally get used for some, but not all, players that stand up for themselves. There’s typically some that generally are commenting on behavior, but there’s others that are expressing an unconscious bias. 

Personally, I’ll wait for the facts to come out, because why i don’t want to lend my voice to the latter.

Plus, it’s not my business.

I don't care what's in his vids myself; if he's got dirt/footage on the owners that make them look way out of line, then power to him.

I just don't think it's helpful in making other teams interested in trading for him -- at least until such time as everyone finds out it's just a series of videos about himself, his friends, his family, etc. where it's not an attempt to get his employer. It might have no effect, but it's more likely to make other teams less than more interested in trading for him.

With Watt, I think was a little different because it looked like they wanted him to take a pay cut since they need to trim to get under. Like the Jets with Ferguson some years back: either take this offer to lower your cap number, or we're cutting you. Conversely they have/had no such desire to get rid of Watson. I take for granted a sucky team with no 1st round pick and limited cap flexibility (then 8 figures over the cap limit) would want to create some cap room to build around Watson rather than to build around Watt. Also moving on from Watt is a pure cap savings this year and he isn't nearly as valuable of a player as Watson (or they'd have been able to trade him rather than simply cut him like they did). 

"Cutting" and "letting him out" are ultimately the same act by the team, though they have obviously different connotations.

I don't know that Watt specifically wanted out like Watson - if he expressed that desire, ok fine I was unaware of it - so much as I figured he rebuffed at their proposal(s) of how to drop his 2021 cap number. (Maybe it was via a straight pay cut; maybe it was via an extension at a lesser annual amount than he could get elsewhere; or maybe they had no proposal at all: figuring he was too old for their upcoming rebuild and "letting him out" was a friendlier-face way of framing that they cut him for cap reasons). 

McNair really screwed up, no matter what; and I'm not a Texans fan & never will be so idgaf (our the Jets have their own problems). But (rightly or wrongly on my part) I took their different handling the two players much more simply: this is an expression of desire of "We want Watson" rather than "We want Watt" for the upcoming rebuild, because they value the former more than the latter.

I take for granted that any player who could get the same (or more) money elsewhere would want out of a bad team situation in favor of a good one. Likewise, the team has contracts - e.g. Mercilus, Cobb, and more - that I'm sure (like Watson now does) they regret signing and would also like to void (and "let them out"), but can't because of guarantees to players who couldn't possibly get the same money as a FA this offseason. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This isn’t a thread about the Jets. This is a for people to come, shake their fist, and type-cast Deshaun Watson.

I was under the impression and maybe I’m wrong - that this was a thread about should the Jets trade for Watson.  This issue just added a layer of concern to that decision.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I've added you to my ignore list, I believe you should do the same to me if you believe what you believe about me.  

For what it's worth, I think the Jets are the most likely candidate to land Watson (Texans will want to land their choice of QB to keep their fanbase happy) and I'll very excited once it's done - just right now I think the cost of him are too prohibitive to build a winner around him and keep him happy.

I didnt single anyone out because clearly it didnt apply to every one.  So if my comment didnt apply to you, then why reply?  On you if you did, on you how you handle it but obviously I'm not the only one who recognized what was happening.

We're 100% not trading for Watson.  JD literally laughed at the idea.  We are drafting your boo sauce, you should be excited. 

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dude, read the thread.  lmfao.  You have to be kidding me.  

I have been, and I re-read my own post. I have seen people say they don't like the fact that he is doing a video documentary of trying to force his way out of a situation and contract he signed into. 

Then in response, you have called people racist. 

I for one am a Black man, who doesn't care for Deshaun doing what he is doing. Does that make me racist? 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

drop mic GIF by Captain Obvious

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Settle down there big fella.  I don’t think o painted him that way at all.  Wanting out bc you don’t get your way on choosing the HC (pretty rare for a player) and documenting it all can certainly be viewed as narcissistic.  But I was actually justifying it in my post saying he’s smart to do so.

I am generally old school and don’t think it’s good for the sport if the players have too much power.  I don’t like unions.  That’s just me. I think they are treated pretty dam well.

There is wayyyyyy more going on then just choosing the HC; see JJ Watt and every single former Texans player.   That is clear as day and maybe why he's documenting it?  Here the thing; I dont know and neither do you and neither does anyone else.  What if he's documenting his diet? 

The point is, nobody ******* knows and to have 100 grown men in here showing their self righteousness is just disgusting  and I like to call bullsh*t out.  It's my thing.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I have been, and I re-read my own post. I have seen people say they don't like the fact that he is doing a video documentary of trying to force his way out of a situation and contract he signed into. 

I for one am a Black man, who doesn't care for Deshaun doing what he is doing. Does that make me racist? 

I didnt call anyone racist.  I made a general comment and a few of you took it personally.  Why?  Dont care.   Not really for me to answer.  That's on you.

All I did was point out the obvious bias and self righteousness that was going on in this thread over a rumor.   I then told you that all QB's are divas and gave you numerous examples.  One of my examples, included a black man.  My interjection was defending the character of Watson.  Is race playing a factor in some of the bias of these posters?  Yes.  100%.  You're lying to yourself if it doesnt but that said, my point was about the general judgement of grown men about a situation they know nothing about...not just race.  Not my fault you took it there.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I didnt call anyone racist.  I made a general comment and a few of you took it personally.  Why?  Dont care.   Not really for me to answer.  That's on you.

All I did was point out the obvious bias and self righteousness that was going on in this thread over a rumor.   I then told you that all QB's are divas and gave you numerous examples.  One of my examples, included a black man.  My interjection was defending the character of Watson.  Is race playing a factor in some of the bias of these posters?  Yes.  100%.  You're lying to yourself if it doesnt but that said, my point was about the general judgement of grown men about a situation they know nothing about...not just race.  Not my fault you took it there.

OK, but I didnt really take it there, you did by saying what you said. And at least you are kind of standing by it. I am a little older and personally don't like all the look at me that the new generation athlete does, and I don't like it when people of any gender, race, religion or anything do it. I also understand that is a part of this generation, and I accept it, and root for players. But that doesnt mean I have to like it either.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't care what's in his vids myself; if he's got dirt/footage on the owners that make them look way out of line, then power to him.

I just don't think it's helpful in making other teams interested in trading for him -- at least until such time as everyone finds out it's just a series of videos about himself, his friends, his family, etc. where it's not an attempt to get his employer. It might have no effect, but it's more likely to make other teams less than more interested in trading for him.

He needs to force Houston to trade him.  Both sides are, at least on the surface, dug in right now.  Watson doesn't want to play for the Texans ever again, and the team doesn't have any interest in trading him.  So how other teams feel about him is secondary in that light.  He needs to shoot his way out of town first and ask questions later. 

Given his resume, if a few teams are turned off by his behavior, that won't make much of a dent in the vast # of teams that will still be interested.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

OK, but I didnt really take it there, you did by saying what you said. And at least you are kind of standing by it. I am a little older and personally don't like all the look at me that the new generation athlete does, and I don't like it when people of any gender, race, religion or anything do it. I also understand that is a part of this generation, and I accept it, and root for players. But that doesnt mean I have to like it either.

Fair and I'm not backing down from it.  My comment 100% implied race was a factor but it was a general comment that included many factors ie; you dont like athletes doing stuff like this.  Again, I gave examples of how all QB's are divas and this sh*t has been happening for years.  Michael Jordan just released an entire series where he documented his final year/controversy vs. the Bulls where he called out the organization and multiple teammates and it was loved and adored by all.

It bothers me that he's being painted as a villain for this and yes, admittedly, he's my favorite player in the NFL so I do get defensive with him at times and this thread is ridiculously petty and self righteous and biased and stupid. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fair and I'm not backing down from it.  My comment 100% implied race was a factor but it was a general comment that included many factors ie; you dont like athletes doing stuff like this.  Again, I gave examples of how all QB's are divas and this sh*t has been happening for years.  Michael Jordan just released an entire series where he documented his final year/controversy vs. the Bulls where he called out the organization and multiple teammates and it was loved and adored by all.

It bothers me that he's being painted as a villain for this and yes, admittedly, he's my favorite player in the NFL so I do get defensive with him at times and this thread is ridiculously petty and self righteous and biased and stupid. 

I'd like to think that any QB who was acting like a Diva that was heavily desired by the fan base and maybe the franchise would be at least noted as acting like a Diva. I personally disliked Favres behavior in forcing his way out of GB, and what he did with the Jets, and I called it out readily at the time. 

I personally think you are reading way too deep into the posts. Saying you don't like something isnt exactly vilifying him. I'd love to get him for the right price, and would root like hell for him. But I still maintain my take on this. This is what people do on message boards, they give opinions.

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why is there a bias?  I for one couldn’t stand personal behavior and traits from Ryan leaf, Ben rothlisberger baker mayfield jay cutler.  There are things I like about players, things that may cause concern and things I flat out don’t like.  I think some things on the Watson side could cause cancer . I actually like Watson but it doesn’t mean there are some behaviors that make me question some things. 

And the watt and Watson comparison isn’t exactly apples to apples.  If a black DE  did the same things as watt, not sure there would be any difference of opinion.  Watson situation is very different.

22 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I'd like to think that any QB who was acting like a Diva that was heavily desired by the fan base and maybe the franchise would be at least noted as acting like a Diva. I personally disliked Favres behavior in forcing his way out of GB, and what he did with the Jets, and I called it out readily at the time. 

I personally think you are reading way too deep into the posts. Saying you don't like something isnt exactly vilifying him. I'd love to get him for the right price, and would root like hell for him. But I still maintain my take on this. This is what people do on message boards, they give opinions.

Frank, nobody in this thread has any idea what he's documenting or what will be produced and made available to the public.  I'm not going back and quoting each post but he 100% was being vilified for this...posters were using this rumor as reasons why you wouldnt want a person of terrible character like this on your favorite Football team.  Which is ridiculous and self righteous and based on zero information. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He needs to force Houston to trade him.  Both sides are, at least on the surface, dug in right now.  Watson doesn't want to play for the Texans ever again, and the team doesn't have any interest in trading him.  So how other teams feel about him is secondary in that light.  He needs to shoot his way out of town first and ask questions later. 

Given his resume, if a few teams are turned off by his behavior, that won't make much of a dent in the vast # of teams that will still be interested.

I agree he wants to do something to get/force Houston to trade him, except I don't think this helps -- unless it's shown that nothing in his vids is designed to humiliate the owner. It may be nothing to you, but it's not far-fetched for another owner to worry he might be next, where there might always be a recording device every time he thinks he's speaking privately to Watson (e.g. in the event Watson wants a raise and the team doesn't want to give it). Based on today's info it's not an illegitimate concern.

Again, I don't gaf how bad he makes McNair look. I'd love for Watson to be the Jets' QB and don't find this helpful with this minimal amount leaked.

From a PR perspective it'd be better to release his videos in full, to show that they're about himself not McNair, or to leak nothing at this time & leave prospective trade partners worrying. 

5 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Why is there a bias?  I for one couldn’t stand personal behavior and traits from Ryan leaf, Ben rothlisberger baker mayfield jay cutler. 

And the watt and Watson comparison isn’t exatly apples to apples.  If a black DE  did the same things as watt, not sure there would be any difference of opinion.  Watson situation is very different.

This is too good, you literally couldnt have set this up better.  

Why is there a bias?  That's you're question?  Cool cool

Well, you seem like you're the perfect test dummy for this exercise.  

You dont know anything about what Watson is documenting.  Nothing.  At all.  You have no idea what he's going to actually produce and release to the public.  Yet, here you are comparing him to these assholes; a bust who became a drug addict criminal, a drunk who was accused of rape and a player who grabs his junk, plant flags and curses at opponents and coaches during a game and who has footage of him screaming "do you know who I am" as he tried to runs from the cops.  And the point is, JJ demanded out.  Which means, there is probably more to the story then Watson is entitled dbag like these stellar examples above. 

So, you tell me?   Why the bias with Watson?  What has he actually done to be compared to these guys?  

lol

• Upvote 1

Let’s be honest the people who don’t want Deshaun are the ones making this out to be a huge deal before we even know the context of the video or what’s in it..

Let’s pass up a franchise QB we’ve been  searching for the last 50 years so we can have  the mediocre garbage we’ve had at the position for the most part which has held us back from winning a title 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I was under the impression and maybe I’m wrong - that this was a thread about should the Jets trade for Watson.  This issue just added a layer of concern to that decision.

*looks at thread title*

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is too good, you literally couldnt have set this up better.  

Why is there a bias?  That's you're question?  Cool cool

Well, you seem like you're the perfect test dummy for this exercise.  

You dont know anything about what Watson is documenting.  Nothing.  At all.  You have no idea what he's going to actually produce and release to the public.  Yet, here you are comparing him to these assholes; a bust who became a drug addict criminal, a drunk who was accused of rape and a player who grabs his junk, plant flags and curses at opponents and coaches during a game and who has footage of him screaming "do you know who I am" as he tried to runs from the cops.  And the point is, JJ demanded out.  Which means, there is probably more to the story then Watson is entitled dbag like these stellar examples above. 

So, you tell me?   Why the bias with Watson?  What has he actually done to be compared to these guys?  

lol

I didn’t compare him to these aholes. I am saying there are people I like and dislike or may have things I don’t like or dislike.  All along colors.  You are the one implying all this racial nonsense.  So I think documenting every move of an employer is a good thing?  Not really, no.  Not sure as fans we really want that.  Edited in a certain way and it will likely be a completely one sided view to make him look like hurt party. To me that is concerning but again, I can also understand why he feels the need to do of.

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

No. 

That said, it might be a bit naive to think that others on this site (who have a long history of this) aren’t dog whistling like the tabernacle choir over this.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I personally don’t mind critiquing it after we know what it is. Right now, we don’t know what he’s filming, and it’s a pile on of assumptions - and mixed in is obvious racial bias - not by everyone.

I’ll go back to what I said earlier. I remember when men didn’t feel the need to be in each other’s business like this.

Can we just talk about blocking schemes? Ffs

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, JiF said:

Frank, nobody in this thread has any idea what he's documenting or what will be produced and made available to the public.  I'm not going back and quoting each post but he 100% was being vilified for this...posters were using this rumor as reasons why you wouldnt want a person of terrible character like this on your favorite Football team.  Which is ridiculous and self righteous and based on zero information. 

No doubt. I will be perfectly honest. I want to draft Fields. I think that kid is going to be a superstar and I think his arm strength will play really well in the Northeast in December and hopefullly January. I also would like to use all of the other picks to put a strong team around him. So as much as I like Watson, and would be thrilled to get him, that would not be my preferred path. I also didnt take the time to read the article and don't know exactly what he is doing and was probably way premature in my comments. I am more than happy to admit that, and happy to admit that my reasoning is because I really want Fields. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I personally don’t mind critiquing it after we know what it is. Right now, we don’t know what he’s filming, and it’s a pile on of assumptions - and mixed in is obvious racial bias - not by everyone.

I’ll go back to what I said earlier. I remember when men didn’t feel the need to be in each other’s business like this.

Can we just talk about blocking schemes? Ffs

I think your spot and and totally fair, I should have understood better what it was or is before critiquing. But lets be honest, this is a message board, we all throw our opinions around here with various degrees of information around them.

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2021 at 10:51 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

He needs to shoot his way out of town first and ask questions later. 

A year after signing a very lucrative extension he needs to shoot his way out of town? He shouldn't have signed the extension then. It's a bad look. Reminds me of Carmelo Anthony shooting his way out of Denver, and he's my guy...look up how much money Carmelo has given back to his communities off the field. Bottom line what an athlete does with his/her money off the field doesn’t absolve them of acting unprofessional towards the team cutting the checks. He signs a lucrative contract extension then 1 year later he's unhappy, demands a trade, and allegedly he's making a documentary about it because he wasn't involved in the hiring of the next GM and head coach. It's hard to not be turned off by his behavior looking for an escape hatch when the franchise is in a vulnerable position.