Watson documenting his off-season drama?

Those who continue to try to trash Watson’s stellar resume as both a player and person are out of their minds.

Theres a reason no one says anything bad about Watson, ever. 

This is not a situation where Watson is being exposed or is demonstrating character flaws. This is a situation where being in Houston, with this org, is THAT bad.  

Pretty much whatever he has to do to get out is justifiable at this point.  Teams are going to line up to get him no matter what. And for good reason. You’re getting a 25-year old, elite QB who everyone loves.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Objectively the Texans will have dumped Hopkins, Watt and Watson all in about a 14 month period. And their front office and coaching staff have been a fire drill, staffed by clowns. When you dump your 3 best players in rapid succession like that, something is seriously wrong. Grant you the Johnsons may qualify for floppy shoes and red noses, but the  Texans are right now way worse. 

Watson came out of Clemson with a sterling reputation. Why  Maccagnan picked Adams over him (to say nothing of Mahomes, perhaps more of an unknown then, but I digress) remains the single biggest draft day mistake in Jets franchise history.

How is this still a thing?

maccagnan chose one QB class over the other 

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think this makes that outcome more likely. Tactical mistake imo. Release what you've got when you're ready to release it, without leaks beforehand. 

Sometimes things work out despite poor planning, but this is poor planning that can make the desired result less likely than it was yesterday.

To get someone else to ante up you have to look like someone the new team can trust on a personal level, and accomplishes the opposite.

I'm still in favor of getting Watson, but I think this makes that more difficult and less likely.

Disagree, strongly. The Texans absolutely can't have him sitting out this coming year, in this news pretty much guarantees that if they don't trade him he will be sitting out. So they've got no choice now

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

How is this still a thing?

maccagnan chose one QB class over the other 

Yes, because he knew exactly where the Jets would be picking, which QB's would be available, and he knew a year in advance the next year's QB class would be way better.  The same guy who drafted Christian Hackenberg was that good of a QB guru.  Oh, and his "Plan A" in 2018 was paying Kirk Cousins over 90 million dollars, for some reason.  All of that jives perfectly!

So, yes, its still a thing that he passed on 2 potential HOF QB's for a Box Safety because he was a f**king moron.  Deal with it.  

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those who continue to try to trash Watson’s stellar resume as both a player and person are out of their minds.

Theres a reason no one says anything bad about Watson, ever. 

This is not a situation where Watson is being exposed or is demonstrating character flaws. This is a situation where being in Houston, with this org, is THAT bad.  

Pretty much whatever he has to do to get out is justifiable at this point.  Teams are going to line up to get him no matter what. And for good reason. You’re getting a 25-year old, elite QB who everyone loves.  

Why?

Because they didn't want a 25 year old to choose the person that will run a Billion dollar organization?

For me, at this point the risk is much too high to give up the kind of resources you'll need to.

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Why?

Because they didn't want a 25 year old to choose the person that will run a Billion dollar organization?

For me, at this point the risk is much too high to give up the kind of resources you'll need to.

That explains promoting a chaplain to run the football operations. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, let him go be a top 5 QB in Miami for the next decade.  That sounds fun.

No one will remember this documentary 6 months from now.  People keep saying Watson has no leverage over Houston. This is how players have to create leverage. It’s ugly, yes, but it works.  And it will work out for both Watson and the team that acquires him as well.

One thing is for sure:  Watson isn’t playing another snap for Houston ever again, regardless.

I respect you a bunch, you know that, but I couldn’t disagree more. I totally understand a great player wanting a trade, and I respect it. Watson has never been anything but a great kid, person , son and obviously, a super great QB. But this type of stuff is only going to hurt him. Perception is a very powerful tool. It camouflages much of what a person has spent years developing. I would love a 25 year old stud for 10 years, but this stuff scares me a bit. Could it happen to us ? You know what they say, you ‘re never just a bit pregnant. I think this is not good for him. If he goes to the Dolphins, so be it. Miami is a sh*t show. They had Marino, what did they win?

25 minutes ago, Biggs said:

That explains promoting a chaplain to run the football operations. 

Yes.

Watson gets paid a lot of money to play QB for an NFL franchise.  His job is to score points and win games.

His job isn't to determine who or what runs the organization.  Now, truthfully, I really don't care if this is what he's decided to do...that's his business - to each his own.  I just don't want it anywhere near the Jets.

What happens next time JD does something he doesn't like?  Will he call in the film crew?

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Yes.

Watson gets paid a lot of money to play QB for an NFL franchise.  His job is to score points and win games.

His job isn't to determine who or what runs the organization.  Now, truthfully, I really don't care if this is what he's decided to do...that's his business - to each his own.  I just don't want it anywhere near the Jets.

What happens next time JD does something he doesn't like?  Will he call in the film crew?

No he'll just ask to be traded..](*,)

57 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Why?

The fact that you still cling to this as the only (or even primary) reason that Watson is trying to get out of Houston, despite the months of discussing this topic, is astounding to me.

Just now, MykePM said:

The fact that you still cling to this as the only (or even primary) reason that Watson is trying to get out of Houston, despite the months of discussing this topic, is astounding to me.

Well every time I ask what the reasons are no one has any answers...other than post that stupid photo of the guy.

When someone tells me a better reason I'll stop saying it.  Just saying they're bad managers isn't going to do it.

I read that SI article - still didn't see anything in there specifically bad -  This guy seems like a weird dude and in over his head for sure...

But no specific instance other than they wouldn't let him hire the coach.

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Disagree, strongly. The Texans absolutely can't have him sitting out this coming year, in this news pretty much guarantees that if they don't trade him he will be sitting out. So they've got no choice now

Then we disagree. There is literally no outcome this year that'll make them come out smelling like roses anyway.

At least if they don't trade him the PR from doing so can be, "Hey we think he's awesome and don't want to trade the best player we've got, and the best young QB this franchise has had & ever will have for the next 30 years."

Trade him? The team will have a sucky record anyway because that roster is even worse than the Jets -- the only difference is they're locked into more crappy players at high dollars, where the Jets have the freedom to sign lots more players to improve things.

So the optics will be that they traded Watson away, Watson's new team has this huge improvement, and the sucky Texans sans-Watson, with their shiny (and probably struggling) rookie QB, go on to win 2 games like the 2020 Jets. 

It's not automatically-better PR for them to trade Watson. Even less so if Watson's free to PR-dump on them with impunity after he's no longer associated with the team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then we disagree. There is literally no outcome this year that'll make them come out smelling like roses anyway.

At least if they don't trade him the PR from doing so can be, "Hey we think he's awesome and don't want to trade the best player we've got, and the best young QB this franchise has had & ever will have for the next 30 years."

Trade him? The team will have a sucky record anyway because that roster is even worse than the Jets -- the only difference is they're locked into more crappy players at high dollars, where the Jets have the freedom to sign lots more players to improve things.

So the optics will be that they traded Watson away, Watson's new team has this huge improvement, and the sucky Texans sans-Watson, with their shiny (and probably struggling) rookie QB, go on to win 2 games like the 2020 Jets. 

It's not automatically-better PR for them to trade Watson. Even less so if Watson's free to PR-dump on them with impunity after he's no longer associated with the team.

It's not about PR. it's about long term success. If he sits this year, if they burn cap space and critical roster development on the futile hope that they get him back and get no assets in return for not having him, they'll have set that franchise back 3 years. From a pure football perspective, it's the worst move they can make

2 hours ago, section314 said:

I respect you a bunch, you know that, but I couldn’t disagree more. I totally understand a great player wanting a trade, and I respect it. Watson has never been anything but a great kid, person , son and obviously, a super great QB. But this type of stuff is only going to hurt him. Perception is a very powerful tool. It camouflages much of what a person has spent years developing. I would love a 25 year old stud for 10 years, but this stuff scares me a bit. Could it happen to us ? You know what they say, you ‘re never just a bit pregnant. I think this is not good for him. If he goes to the Dolphins, so be it. Miami is a sh*t show. They had Marino, what did they win?

No, I don't think this will tarnish him at all.  I think people will forget all about this in a few months when he's on his way to a division title and a Pro Bowl with his new team.  Winning and franchise QB play make people forget about a lot of things.  

And everyone gets that Houston is a complete sh*t-show, clown shoes organization right now.  His behavior can be easily excused and deemed irrelevant when compared to his body of work.  All the kid does is produce and make great decisions off the field.  He's more than earned the benefit of the doubt, and that won't be removed because of this.