Message to Joe Douglas; please watch Field of Dreams and think about Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers when you do...

17 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

So you want to copy what the Bucs did.

Praying we'll get lucky like the Bucs and an elite QB will come here is a bad plan.

Did you read the post?  There will always be the next hot sexy QB prospect, happens every year.  If we follow my strategy and Sam continues to suck and JD fails to land the HOF'ers, then we draft a QB in the near future and instead of joining arguably one of the worst rosters in the NFL led by all rookie coaches, he'll be joining a young primed team ready to handle the trials and tribulations of a rookie QB.  

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, JiF said:

So what's the solution?  Keep Sam Darnold and sign Bridgewater or Mariota and let them battle it out in camp.  Trade #2 and trade back as much as you can while staying positioned to acquire picks this year and next year and build this pile of dog sh*t roster into an actual NFL team instead of whatever the **** we've been watching for the last 10 years.  I've played this scenario out numerous times and JD could literally rebuild entire position groups - CBx2, Edge, C-G-T, WR.  Whoever you like, you the name the order, it's doable in this draft.  In a trade down scenario the Jets could hypothetically add 5-6 starters this season and NEXT!  

We did that last year, no?  Found starters at DE, OG, RB, S, etc. when Douglas used the Draft to get Zuniga, Cam Clark, Perine, Ashtyn Davis, right?

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Did you read the post?  There will always be the next hot sexy QB prospect, happens every year. 

And like has been repeated over and over again on these boards, it's unlikely the Jets will be in a position to draft said prospect--unless they want to mortgage their future by giving up a haul of draft picks. And even then, the team in the position to draft the "sexy" prospect may refuse to surrender their pick anyway. The Jets need to use the valuable pick they have this year to fill the void. And that's exactly what JD is going to do, because he's already gone on record saying he considers QB the most important position when building a team. 

• Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Did you read the post?  There will always be the next hot sexy QB prospect, happens every year.  If we follow my strategy and Sam continues to suck and JD fails to land the HOF'ers, then we draft a QB in the near future and instead of joining arguably one of the worst rosters in the NFL led by all rookie coaches, he'll be joining a young primed team ready to handle the trials and tribulations of a rookie QB.  

You were only a massage away from getting your guy..? Okay maybe 15 or so but who's counting..

24 minutes ago, jbt said:

this is what the Colts have done but were only able to get an old Rivers and a bad Wentz. 

Similar, yet different.  Frank Reich was a rookie HC who inherited Luck.  Not 100% sure they trade that pick to us if they knew Luck was done.  That said, I have heard Chris Ballard say that he's not sold on taking a 1st round QB because of the damage it can do if you miss, his point was you have to be 100% convinced, otherwise, it's basically the end of your career and everyone is a casualty because of that mistake.

That said, because of this situation, look at what they were able to build.  It's as talented roster as any, with just a few missing pieces and now, Frank Reich and Carson Wentz get to pick up where they left off when Wentz was well on his way to an MVP season before he got hurt.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We did that last year, no?  Found starters at DE, OG, RB, S, etc. when Douglas used the Draft to get Zuniga, Cam Clark, Perine, Ashtyn Davis, right?

Funny but who thought these guys were starters?  Maye/McDougald were penciled starters at S.  They signed two G's to start and took Clark at 129.   Zuniga was injured but I guess maybe because of the lack of depth but Perrine was supposed to start over Bell and Gore?   Silly goose.

Anywho, you're missing or ignoring for the lulz, 2 important parts of this equation.  The Jets picks first and second round picks are projected starters and that's what we're talking about....multiple 1st and 2nd round picks....potentially 5 1st rounders and 5 2nd rounders over the next 2 seasons.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

And like has been repeated over and over again on these boards, it's unlikely the Jets will be in a position to draft said prospect--unless they want to mortgage their future by giving up a haul of draft picks. And even then, the team in the position to draft the "sexy" prospect may refuse to surrender their pick anyway. The Jets need to use the valuable pick they have this year to fill the void. And that's exactly what JD is going to do, because he's already gone on record saying he considers QB the most important position when building a team. 

Fair point but I'd counter with that sexy prospect doesnt need to be taken #2 overall.  Herbert, Allen, Mahomes, Watson, Jackson werent top 5 picks....neither were the names in the thread title.  Just because JD rightfully believes that QB is the most important position, doesnt mean he thinks that player is worth #2 overall this season.  Fans are emotional twats for the most part.  They see QB's and get fooled al the time.  Picking a QB makes gives them hope they'd otherwise lack.   JD needs to be more cerebral then that because this is not an ideal situation for a rookie QB.  In fact, I'd argue, it's the worst possible destination for a rookie QB.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Funny but who thought these guys were starters?  Maye/McDougald were penciled starters at S.  They signed two G's to start and took Clark at 129.   Zuniga was injured but I guess maybe because of the lack of depth but Perrine was supposed to start over Bell and Gore?   Silly goose.

Anywho, you're missing or ignoring for the lulz, 2 important parts of this equation.  The Jets picks first and second round picks are projected starters and that's what we're talking about....multiple 1st and 2nd round picks....potentially 5 1st rounders and 5 2nd rounders over the next 2 seasons.  

I don't disagree.  We didn't expect them to be starters.  But when we're talking about accumulating picks in order to get starters it assumes that you'll hit on those picks and not just the ones in the 1st and 2nd rounds.  The teams that are truly successful find average+ starters in rounds 2, 4, 5.

In any case, I don't think premise of your OP is unreasonable.  Making an attractive landing spot for FA QBs is never a bad thing.  But we can't bank on the idea that making a major roster upgrade ensures that someone like Aaron Rodgers comes here to try to catch lightning in a bottle and win a Super Bowl in a brief window of say two seasons.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

JD needs to be more cerebral then that because this is not an ideal situation for a rookie QB.  In fact, I'd argue, it's the worst possible destination for a rookie QB.

JD just upgraded the receiving corp. I also have no doubt he will draft an offensive lineman, and maybe two, in rounds 1-3, as well as a running back. We also, for the first time in a while, have an OC who appears to have half a brain. Wilson will be fine.

20 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't disagree.  We didn't expect them to be starters.  But when we're talking about accumulating picks in order to get starters it assumes that you'll hit on those picks and not just the ones in the 1st and 2nd rounds.  The teams that are truly successful find average+ starters in rounds 2, 4, 5.

In any case, I don't think premise of your OP is unreasonable.  Making an attractive landing spot for FA QBs is never a bad thing.  But we can't bank on the idea that making a major roster upgrade ensures that someone like Aaron Rodgers comes here to try to catch lightning in a bottle and win a Super Bowl in a brief window of say two seasons.

Honestly, it was just a colorful way of saying, trade down because I'm scared sh*tless of pairing a rookie QB with a rookie Head Coach former DC who hired a 34 year old rookie OC on arguably the worst roster in the NFL.

That said, I legit dont think it's unrealistic.  I dont see Rodgers or Wilson finishing their careers with their current teams and if you can build a team like the Bucs, a QB away, then maybe 1 of them sees this as their chance.  If not, fine, have a great situation in place for a rookie.  And who knows, maybe Sam figures it out and/or Bridgewater can win.  The guy was 5-0 in New Orleans when they were loaded. 

25 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

JD just upgraded the receiving corp. I also have no doubt he will draft an offensive lineman, and maybe two, in rounds 1-3, as well as a running back. We also, for the first time in a while, have an OC who appears to have half a brain. Wilson will be fine.

The OC has never called a play in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Honestly, it was just a colorful way of saying, trade down because I'm scared sh*tless of pairing a rookie QB with a rookie Head Coach former DC who hired a 34 year old rookie OC on arguably the worst roster in the NFL.

That said, I legit dont think it's unrealistic.  I dont see Rodgers or Wilson finishing their careers with their current teams and if you can build a team like the Bucs, a QB away, then maybe 1 of them sees this as their chance.  If not, fine, have a great situation in place for a rookie.  And who knows, maybe Sam figures it out and/or Bridgewater can win.  The guy was 5-0 in New Orleans when they were loaded. 

I’ve grown fond of the trade down and load up on talent line of thinking.  My fear is JD fumbling the draft and a year from now we are looking at the 2021 draft class like we are looking at the 2020 draft class.  

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

I’ve grown fond of the trade down and load up on talent line of thinking.  My fear is JD fumbling the draft and a year from now we are looking at the 2021 draft class like we are looking at the 2020 draft class.  

Yet you have comfort in him picking the right QB between Wislon/Lance/Fields?  As I said in my other posts, the point of the trade down is so that JD can have more picks in the 1st and 2nd round where I do think he landed 2 very talented players. 

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

You have to risk it to get the biscuit, if picking the wrong QB sets us back some years, so be it, at least we’re swinging. Can’t be scared. These prospects are better, from what we can tell now, than any of the 2022 QB’s. I don’t trust Howell, the new USC guy or anyone else as much as I trust us to get it right with Wilson or Fields.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You have to risk it to get the biscuit, if picking the wrong QB sets us back some years, so be it, at least we’re swinging. Can’t be scared. These prospects are better, from what we can tell now, than any of the 2022 QB’s. I don’t trust Howell, the new USC guy or anyone else as much as I trust us to get it right with Wilson or Fields.

I get that but now is not the time.  Risk it in the future when the infrastructure is set.  

You didnt even know who Zach Wilson was this time last year.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get that but now is not the time.  Risk it in the future when the infrastructure is set.  

You didnt even know who Zach Wilson was this time last year.

If we were a half well run organization, Wilson would be a JET as we would have drafted him. But NO... we draft SHlT and hang on to it.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I did, you want to kick can down the road in the hopes a HOFer will come here.