Another Zach Wilson Thread: Good Read from Peter King

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Where did the rumors that Wilson is douchey, entitled or lacks leadership come from?

Have watched, read and listened to a lot about Wilson today including interviews. I don’t get the sense he’s any of those things. 

I think it started with one of our regs comparing Wilson's look to Justin Bieber.  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Where did the rumors that Wilson is douchey, entitled or lacks leadership come from?

Have watched, read and listened to a lot about Wilson today including interviews. I don’t get the sense he’s any of those things. 

It’s very strange. Obviously none of us know the guy but from outward appearances, he seems like a really really good kid. 

Having said that, apparently Deshaun Watson had a reputation as an incredibly upstanding citizen. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s very strange. Obviously none of us know the guy but from outward appearances, he seems like a really really good kid. 

Having said that, apparently Deshaun Watson had a reputation as an incredibly upstanding citizen. 

Although he got in trouble when he wasn't standing up..

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

72417EDD-8312-478F-AEBD-95890036C0E5.png

WalterFootball?

Thomas.

Also, you know better than anyone else that this reeks of a team trying to get the player to fall to them.  Remember the “Cam Newton doesn’t have a genuine smile” bullsh*t? 

PS: Charge your phone.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

WalterFootball?

Thomas.

Also, you know better than anyone else that this reeks of a team trying to get the player to fall to them.  Remember the “Cam Newton doesn’t have a genuine smile” bullsh*t? 

PS: Charge your phone.

What ever happened to Nolan Nawrocki?

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The potential douchebaggery is less of a problem than football. Manziel without the substance abuse issues sounds accurate. 

Deferring to my son, who has been on a college football field; BYU's conference is on par these days of the power conferences with Fordham, Lehigh, Lafayette, et al; low D1. Arguably only guys to be The Man coming from those circumstances are Rothliberger (Miami/Ohio) ,and Flacco. Both of those gusy go 6'5", 240 after breakfast. Garrapolo is sorta there., but he's 6'2" but thick. 

To take the leap of faith on  Wilson he has to blow you away in every way, and I don't see it. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Dcat said:

My biggest complaints about Sanchez and Sam Darnold were that they were/are slow to read what is happening on the other side of the ball and make a smart decision for that play.  That inability trumped any and all of their positive physical skills.  After reading this article, I'd expect Wilson to be a lot smarter out there.  Ability to read the field quickly and make a smart decision (Tom Brady, Joe Montana and many more) can be the difference between success and failure.  Neither Sanchez nor Darnold failed/will fail due to lack of physical skills.  For them, the biggest issue was/is between the ears. 

Sure hope this Utah boy can adjust to life in the greater NYC area.   This ain't Utah. But that is a different discussion.

Pretty sure I read someplace that he played high school ball in NJ but I could be wrong.   The recall and subsequent decision making are huge.   I really believe if you asked Sam why he lobbed the ball into a crowd of defenders on first down her could not give you a straight answer.  That’s the cause of his failure, a consistent inability to understand what he is seeing and where the ball should go.  Regarding Zach Wilson being a prima Dona, driving 10 hours to train and delivering door dash to earn extra scratch would seem 100 percent contradictory to that position based on my life experience.   I’m ready to hop on the bandwagon and since I’ve now gotten my second vaccine I am actually starting to think about the prospect of opening day at the stadium. J-E-T-S baby!!!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Bugg said:

King's a fluffer, which is why serious NFL people like Bellichick, the Mannings, Tom Brady, avoid him and his happytalk handy nonsense like the COVID after dinner mints. 

Look, I'll trust Douglas, no matter what. But I saw Chad Pennington's shoulder-surgery scarred career. And while it has no objective basis, I personally have experienced shoulder surgery, and saw my son's D2 DT football career go off the rails due to a torn labrum and surgery.

So Wilson is a small guy no matter how you cut it who after 2 shoulder surgeries will be facing NFL front 7 300 lb. beasts who bench press Hondas and run like cats. Comparing the teams BYU played to Steve Young or Jim MacMahon to whom Wilson's teams faced gives up the ghost. It's laughable.

So I guess the Saints shouldnt have signed Drew Brees since he is under 6 ft and had a labral tear?

• Upvote 1

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer11h

Fog starts to lift on Jets' QB decision, revealing BYU's Zach Wilson

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets didn't make a single roster move Friday, but doing nothing said everything about their quarterback plans.

It's beginning to look a lot like BYU's Zach Wilson. Which means Sam Darnold's days are numbered.

Let's connect the dots from the day's two big trades.

The San Francisco 49ers, in search of Jimmy Garoppolo's successor, made a bold move, trading up nine spots in the 2021 NFL draft to acquire the third pick from the Miami Dolphins. The 49ers had no trade talks with the Jets (No. 2), sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter, but that doesn't mean they acted without a sense of the Jets' stance.

You have to be naïve to think 49ers general manager John Lynch didn't reach out to inquire about the No. 2 pick. If you're willing to trade two future first-round picks for the third quarterback off the board, as he did with Miami, you're certainly going to investigate the possibility of getting the second quarterback. The response from the Jets might have been, "No, thanks. We're happy at No. 2."

The Philadelphia Eagles, too, were interested in the No. 3 pick, but only to get Wilson, the NFL Network reported. Probably realizing Wilson won't make it to the third pick, the Eagles (No. 6) decided to bail out of quarterback territory, a tacit vote of confidence for second-year quarterback Jalen Hurts. They dropped to No. 12, swapping places with the Dolphins, who completed the day's draft gymnastics with a down-up move.

Think about the teams involved here. The 49ers and Eagles have close ties to the Jets because of coach Robert Saleh (former 49ers defensive coordinator) and general manager Joe Douglas (former Eagles executive). They talk. In fact, Saleh and Lynch were seen chatting Friday at Wilson's pro day, where he impressed scouts with his arm talent. This was after news of the bombshell trade had broken, but you get the point. The relationship is strong and they share stuff.

What remains to be seen is whether a Wilson-hungry team, perhaps the Atlanta Falcons (No. 4), Carolina Panthers (No. ? or Denver Broncos (No. 9), will offer the Jets a big package for the No. 2 pick. The advantage to dropping to eighth or ninth, as opposed to 12th, is they still would be in position to land an elite offensive player. The Jets could pick Florida tight end Kyle Pitts, one of the top three wide receivers or perhaps even Oregon offensive tackle Penei Sewell. They also would score more draft capital, perhaps even a 2022 first-rounder.

That's a lot to pass up. Douglas could ride with Darnold for at least another year and plug multiple holes on the roster by trading down -- definitely worthwhile -- but the sense I get is he will be content to stay at No. 2 in order to draft Wilson. It also keeps the Jets in position for a potential run at Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, although the possibility of a trade is complicated by the 16 lawsuits filed against Watson alleging sexual assault and inappropriate conduct.

What becomes of Darnold? The 49ers, thought to be a possible destination, are out of the Darnold market. Their plan reportedly is to roll with Garoppolo and a rookie quarterback for 2021.

Quite frankly, the Darnold market is shrinking, as the Washington Football Team and Chicago Bears also have addressed their short-term quarterback needs. The Panthers and Broncos remain possibilities, and perhaps the Seattle Seahawks if they move on from Russell Wilson.

The Jets might have overplayed their hand, waiting too long to make a decision. We'll know by April 29, draft night, how it shakes out.

12 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

So I guess the Saints shouldnt have signed Drew Brees since he is under 6 ft and had a labral tear?

No he did not have JUST a labral tear. 

He had a 360 degree tear of his labrum, a 50% tear of his rotator cuff and a dislocated shoulder. 

Needed 11 anchors in his labrum and 2 anchors in his rotator cuff. 

And then proceeded to throw for nearly 7 miles. 

Oh, and he is maybe 6-0 209 pounds. 

I think Wilson will be just fine. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

True.  We never really know.  I think if there was a serious problem we would have heard about it.  Seems like a good kid, went to BYU, the Peter King story has helped give me confidence that he's likely not another Geno Smith or Josh Rosen.  Going to your father's/family's arch rival school takes some moxie.  Even that one concern about him not being named Captain seems to have been cleared up that due to the injury and some uncertainty about him even being the starting QB it didn't make sense to Captain him at the time, but then he earned it after becoming starter.  Kind of a nothing burger.

I don't know.  He seems fine, well spoken, even humble.  My only real concerns continue to be relatively minor, the injury history (which based on how he threw the past 12 months and at the Pro Day would be surprising if there was a problem) and his level of competition, but there are always concerns with guys.  No sure things.  I'm getting to the point where if JD, Phil Savage, Saleh, LaFleur all think this kid is worth the #2 who the hell am I to say he isn't?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Curious.  I'd be interested to hear where this came from.  Also, I'm not his uncle but I own some Jet Blue... lol.  It's a public company so either this anonymous source is being a bit lazy and nonspecific or he's just throwing around what he heard in the rumor mill.  The Peter King article gave me a sense that Wilson is anything but entitled.  Injured, not named a starter, told to compete for the job he bucked up and had an elite year.  I'd have to hope that JD and the staff have their PI's turning over rocks and looking for skeletons in his closet before making this big investment.

My kid plays HS football as a freshman and we just had an offseason parents/coach meeting for the entire team.  The HC spoke about how the recruiting process works, especially if he has some guys who could go Div I.  He said, "expect college scouts to find out EVERYTHING if they're serious about you.  They'll talk to your calculus teacher, they'll talk to the janitor who cleans the locker-room to find out if you're a douche or if you treat people the right way.  They'll find an old girlfriend and ask her why it didn't work out with you two?  They'll approach a friend or classmate of yours, give her a $100 Target gift card to open her phone and show them all of your TikTok posts, private Snaps, etc.  In short, if they're thinking about throwing a $35K scholarship at you they'll find out what's in your underwear drawer."  It was eye-opening quite frankly.  And, if the Jets are going to plunk tens of millions of $$ and stake their careers on this kid at #2 then you better believe they're finding out all they can.

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Wilson is not my favorite non-Lawrence QB in this draft, but Jonny Manziel without drugs and a sh*tty attitude is probably a success in the NFL 

Yup.  The problem with Manziel wasn't the confidence or bravado.  It was that he had self-destructive habits.  Of course, you remember who he threw his first ever career TD against?  The Jets.  Just like Baker Mayfield got his first ever career win vs. the Jets.  And, Bernie Kosar in 1986 was the first QB to....

Oh nevermind.  F the Browns.  For a bad team they've really made for miserable times as a Jets fan. lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Labral tear or not one, but 2 surgeries? Your argument is Drew Brees recovering for one tear is a reason to overlook 2 shoulder surgeries on Zach Wilson. It's a very serious injury for anybody, worse for a football player, and really bad for a QB. Twice. Again seen it upclose first and secondhand on a football player, and watched the post surgery career of Chad Pennington. Grant you my perspective is warped but it's also not uninformed. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Curious.  I'd be interested to hear where this came from.  Also, I'm not his uncle but I own some Jet Blue... lol.  It's a public company so either this anonymous source is being a bit lazy and nonspecific or he's just throwing around what he heard in the rumor mill.  The Peter King article gave me a sense that Wilson is anything but entitled.  Injured, not named a starter, told to compete for the job he bucked up and had an elite year.  I'd have to hope that JD and the staff have their PI's turning over rocks and looking for skeletons in his closet before making this big investment.

My kid plays HS football as a freshman and we just had an offseason parents/coach meeting for the entire team.  The HC spoke about how the recruiting process works, especially if he has some guys who could go Div I.  He said, "expect college scouts to find out EVERYTHING if they're serious about you.  They'll talk to your calculus teacher, they'll talk to the janitor who cleans the locker-room to find out if you're a douche or if you treat people the right way.  They'll find an old girlfriend and ask her why it didn't work out with you two?  They'll approach a friend or classmate of yours, give her a $100 Target gift card to open her phone and show them all of your TikTok posts, private Snaps, etc.  In short, if they're thinking about throwing a $35K scholarship at you they'll find out what's in your underwear drawer."  It was eye-opening quite frankly.  And, if the Jets are going to plunk tens of millions of $$ and stake their careers on this kid at #2 then you better believe they're finding out all they can.

And still, they fail. And they even fail at the pro level on 1st round picks. Isaiah Wilson had , as per his HS coacch whom I know for 30 years, h Nick Saban and Jim Harbaugh following him going to class in HS, and the Titans picked him late in last year's 1st round. And today his career is over. An extreme example, but not unheard of either. As to I.Wilson, coaches tend to overlook a lot for a huge strong player. Think Aaron Hernandez. Kind off the track here, because Zach Wilson is not a bad actor like Hernandez and probably is a lot sharper than Isaiah Wilson. But a reminder colleges and NFL teams get things wrong sometimes. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Labral tear or not one, but 2 surgeries? Your argument is Drew Brees recovering for one tear is a reason to overlook 2 shoulder surgeries on Zach Wilson. It's a very serious injury for anybody, worse for a football player, and really bad for a QB. Twice. Again seen it upclose first and secondhand on a football player, and watched the post surgery career of Chad Pennington. Grant you my perspective is warped but it's also not uninformed. 

What some fans tend to do is if they like a player like Trevor his surgery is no big deal. If they don't like Wilson it's a red flag warning.. Most of you would never have wanted the team to draft Namath with all his knee problems most said he wouldn't last 3 years in the Pro's..

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

His shoulder was fixed after his freshman year.  Not so recent

That may be the  first shoulder surgery you're referring to, the one after his freshman year. this is a BYU interview June 2019

"“It always felt great in games,” Wilson said. “The problem was coming into practice the next Monday. I just felt terrible. I don’t know if it was getting landed on — I don’t think it was from throwing because in a game you don’t throw nearly as much as you do in practice. So I would go into Mondays and I could barely lift my arm up because I was getting driven down on my right shoulder, and guys were landing on me.”

He already told us in that interview that a second surgery was coming.

"Wilson, in his interview with BYU Sports Nation, added that he also has a torn labrum in his left shoulder that will eventually require surgery."

The second surgery on his left shoulder was after this sophomore year, hence his numbers were much better after the second surgery ( plus the reduced Covid year competition level/

This is from a Browns blog...
"The only concerns with Wilson are the level of competition and injury history. He had surgery on a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder after his freshman year, and then had surgery on his throwing shoulder as a sophomore.'

• Profootball Network says it was the hand injury that messed up his sophomore year which required surgery."]

" In that Sophomore campaign, it was a rough go of things. He only had 11 touchdowns to nine interceptions and was plagued by a right-hand injury that he had to have surgery on. Essentially, it became a throwaway year for the promising quarterback."