Justin Fields 2nd Pro Day - April 14th

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

JD has essentially confirmed Wilson himself with both his answers to Breer and the response he gave to the question about Steve Young. 

Confirmation bias of the most transparent kind - and i say that expecting Wilson to be the pick.

JD's options to that question were:

1. Steve's wrong. (yea?.... you wanna see news writers zoom turn into a piranha tank?)
  2. Steve's right. (zero chance he says that for obvious reasons)
  3. Come up with a generic response, like - Well steve's plugged in..... 

To which right after, he refuted Steve's claim that he's recruiting Wilson's family. So Steve is plugged in,.. but 50%?.lol I guess? You guys read into because it fit the narrative.  Not that there's much mystery

• Upvote 3

On 4/8/2021 at 12:58 PM, playtowinthegame said:

5 minutes in Florio alludes things could get interesting if Robert Saleh and Joe Douglas show up at Fields 2nd pro day. 

Or... they could not.

Florio breathes click bait.

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Confirmation bias of the most transparent kind - and i say that expecting Wilson to be the pick.

JD's options to that question were:

1. Steve's wrong. (yea?.... you wanna see news writers zoom turn into a piranha tank?)
  2. Steve's right. (zero chance he says that for obvious reasons)
  3. Come up with a generic response, like - Well steve's plugged in..... 

To which right after, he refuted Steve's claim that he's recruiting Wilson's family. So Steve is plugged in,.. but 50%?.lol I guess? You guys read into because it fit the narrative.  Not that there's much mystery

I disagree for this reason. In a normal situation where there are a lot of scenarios, that makes sense, but in this situation EVERYONE is saying Wilson is a LOCK to the Jets and Steve Young said he is committed. If the choice were someone else he would have quashed the Young report just to keep expectations in check. But he didn't. There are also like 100 other little things that point to it, several from JDs mouth. But you can hold on to hope that we pick Fields.

On 4/8/2021 at 11:31 AM, playtowinthegame said:

Did you watch the video? They're saying everyone is overthinking this by mocking Justin Fields down to the 5th quarterback off the board. Mark my words, he's gonna be the best quarterback from this class. He's like a Cam Newton and Russell Wilson hybrid. We know the kid can take a hit. He's built for the NFL. 

I hope 49ers take him...so he doesn't end up in the AFCE...with the Pats!

• Upvote 1

Here's another narrative that I don't see spoken of much that I truly believe would be the case: 

If Joe Burrow never transferred to LSU, stuck at Ohio State and eventually got his chance to start there, he would've never gone #1 overall. Reason being? People in the NFL would never have gotten the opportunity to see Burrow perform in an offense that puts the majority of the responsibilities on said QB. 

I think the misconception with some of these wunderkind offensive coaches (like Brady or Shanahan) is that because their offense promotes good/efficient QB play, it must be an easy offense. It's not the case. What they do a great job of doing is teaching and simplifying post-snap decision making, but still give the QB tremendous amounts of pre-snap responsibility... the kind of pre-snap responsibility that 30-of-32 NFL offenses demand out of the QB. These coaches teach the QB how to exploit mismatches in the classroom and on the practice field, then ask the player to diagnose those mismatches pre-snap, adjust, and decisively attack them post-snap with trust and anticipation in their read of the defense and what they diagnosed on film as opposed to "see-it, throw-it". Everything about their offenses revolves around a QB who can read a defense, quickly process it, and be able to internalize the decision (they're doing this, hence I need to throw here).

Without seeing Joe Burrow work with Joe Brady, people would've never knew how good Joe Burrow truly was as a prospect. If he had his breakout in Columbus instead, the narrative would be that he's an average athlete with a solid arm and good touch, but doesn't display an awareness or possession of the responsibilities that pro-style QBs are traditionally asked to maintain. Sure, maybe he would've gone in the 1st round, but no way would he have been touted as highly as he was at LSU... that was the product of not only production and pedigree, but the fact that he did such impressive things in an offense that was pro-style in nature and responsibility.

This is why I've tried to be careful how I choose my words RE: Fields. I don't like criticizing his game because I truly don't believe his lack of development is his fault other than the choice of college he chose to transfer to; my concerns with him are that he has not been asked to do things NFL coaches ask their players to do. I can go back every year and post blurbs I've written about collegian QBs... I had the same concerns with Murray, Mayfield, Mahomes, Watson, Goff, Geno, etc.... with that said, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm saying "this guy won't be good", rather, I try to focus on where he'll end up and if he can learn in a comfortable situation than whether or not he'll be a bust or a success.  

I think Fields will be good if he lands in the right situation. A right situation for him has less to do about the talent around him; his ability to succeed in the NFL will come down to the coaching he's provided, the scheme he plays in, and the timeline (is he getting rushed onto the field or is he being awarded 1-2 years to sit). I know that it won't be with the Jets. And it would be a breath of fresh air if analysts focused on this angle, rather than try to convince people that Fields does possess what NFL coaches/execs look for in QBs while manipulating "film studies" to try and paint Fields as a prospect he's currently not. It's just sad. I hate the Pats, but I do kind of hope for Fields he lands there for the sake of his career. I don't wish bad on him and I want him to be successful (as long as we're not getting beat up by them every year), and I think McDaniels/Belichick have a good handle how to get the most out of a QB like Fields while teaching him how to be a more traditional QB on the fly. If the Jets drafted him, I'm sure he would fail, and that's good for no one involved. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I disagree for this reason. In a normal situation where there are a lot of scenarios, that makes sense, but in this situation EVERYONE is saying Wilson is a LOCK to the Jets and Steve Young said he is committed. If the choice were someone else he would have quashed the Young report just to keep expectations in check. But he didn't. There are also like 100 other little things that point to it, several from JDs mouth. But you can hold on to hope that we pick Fields.

You're wrong. And you're too old to for this reply. 

On 4/8/2021 at 11:22 AM, mrcoops said:

It will be interesting to see who (if anyone) from the Jets shows up.

You'd think, if Fields was still an option, they would want to take every opportunity to see him throw and to speak to him.

According to Colin Cowherd this is an official Jets 2021 team poster just relased by the Jets.  Around the 9:30 mark...picture sez it all...

Download video

Sam Darnold deserves fair shot in Carolina- Zach Wilson wins in Jets trade — Colin NFL THE HERD.mp4_000945.084.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Depends on context, no? It is reasonable to state that Wilson is as good of a prospect as Rodgers and Mahomes. It is idiotic at this point to suggest he is as good of a QB as them. Funny thing is that on arm talent, Wilson is a generational type talent, yet people put that title on Lawrence.

If he is the same caliber “prospect” why are they talking about him so high?  Mahomes went 10th and Rodgers 20 something.  Only one touting Mahomes as the next GOAT was ME.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

So 99% of reputable talent evaluators should get their heads examined, but the 1% (presumably you and a few others) do not fall in that boat? 

Meanwhile they said I had the god-complex... lol makes so much sense

Someone gets it.

27 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You're wrong. And you're too old to for this reply. 

Do you honestly believe Wilson isn't the pick?

Seriously, do you truly think it's possible JD has someone else in mind?

To me, barring an injury or some other external force - ZW is the pick and that's all but public knowledge at this point. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Here's another narrative that I don't see spoken of much that I truly believe would be the case: 

If Joe Burrow never transferred to LSU, stuck at Ohio State and eventually got his chance to start there, he would've never gone #1 overall. Reason being? People in the NFL would never have gotten the opportunity to see Burrow perform in an offense that puts the majority of the responsibilities on said QB. 

I think the misconception with some of these wunderkind offensive coaches (like Brady or Shanahan) is that because their offense promotes good/efficient QB play, it must be an easy offense. It's not the case. What they do a great job of doing is teaching and simplifying post-snap decision making, but still give the QB tremendous amounts of pre-snap responsibility... the kind of pre-snap responsibility that 30-of-32 NFL offenses demand out of the QB. These coaches teach the QB how to exploit mismatches in the classroom and on the practice field, then ask the player to diagnose those mismatches pre-snap, adjust, and decisively attack them post-snap with trust and anticipation in their read of the defense and what they diagnosed on film as opposed to "see-it, throw-it". Everything about their offenses revolves around a QB who can read a defense, quickly process it, and be able to internalize the decision (they're doing this, hence I need to throw here).

Without seeing Joe Burrow work with Joe Brady, people would've never knew how good Joe Burrow truly was as a prospect. If he had his breakout in Columbus instead, the narrative would be that he's an average athlete with a solid arm and good touch, but doesn't display an awareness or possession of the responsibilities that pro-style QBs are traditionally asked to maintain. Sure, maybe he would've gone in the 1st round, but no way would he have been touted as highly as he was at LSU... that was the product of not only production and pedigree, but the fact that he did such impressive things in an offense that was pro-style in nature and responsibility.

This is why I've tried to be careful how I choose my words RE: Fields. I don't like criticizing his game because I truly don't believe his lack of development is his fault other than the choice of college he chose to transfer to; my concerns with him are that he has not been asked to do things NFL coaches ask their players to do. I can go back every year and post blurbs I've written about collegian QBs... I had the same concerns with Murray, Mayfield, Mahomes, Watson, Goff, Geno, etc.... with that said, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm saying "this guy won't be good", rather, I try to focus on where he'll end up and if he can learn in a comfortable situation than whether or not he'll be a bust or a success.  

I think Fields will be good if he lands in the right situation. A right situation for him has less to do about the talent around him; his ability to succeed in the NFL will come down to the coaching he's provided, the scheme he plays in, and the timeline (is he getting rushed onto the field or is he being awarded 1-2 years to sit). I know that it won't be with the Jets. And it would be a breath of fresh air if analysts focused on this angle, rather than try to convince people that Fields does possess what NFL coaches/execs look for in QBs while manipulating "film studies" to try and paint Fields as a prospect he's currently not. It's just sad. I hate the Pats, but I do kind of hope for Fields he lands there for the sake of his career. I don't wish bad on him and I want him to be successful (as long as we're not getting beat up by them every year), and I think McDaniels/Belichick have a good handle how to get the most out of a QB like Fields while teaching him how to be a more traditional QB on the fly. If the Jets drafted him, I'm sure he would fail, and that's good for no one involved. 

Pre-snap and post-snap reads...there's a graveyard of talented QBs that couldn't grasp it.  And poor coaching is definitely a part of that.  Its what allowed QBs with very little mobility like Peyton Mannng and Tom Brady to be so good.  They were excellent at it.  As well as with their mechanics and acurracy.

For what I understand...Wilson drowns himself in film study.  He's described as a fanatic when it comes to this.  This I believe is a big part of how he's honed field awareness and allowed his instincts to work in his favor.  That field awareness...plus the BYU offense...makes him a very good fit for a Shanahan disciple's offense like LaFleur's.  

My concern with Wilson is too much hero ball.  He has to learn what tight windows he can throw into and which ones he shouldn't at the NFL level.  Sometimes he goes for the deep downfield throes into tight coverage.  And passes up those Shanahan designed short-intermediate ones...that receivers can catch and run with it.   Coaching, film study and experience will hopefully allow him eventually to make the quick good decisions he needs to make. in order to be a successful top 10 FQB.  

Good post!

• Upvote 3

On 4/8/2021 at 12:58 PM, playtowinthegame said:

5 minutes in Florio alludes things could get interesting if Robert Saleh and Joe Douglas show up at Fields 2nd pro day. 

There’s a SI writer that covers the 49ers that says he has a source that says the Jets are taking Fields.  So that’s 2 out of like a million.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Not in the smallest bit. Wilson is pretty much #1 or #2 on almost every NFL board for a reason: he is a better prospect than Fields

I mean seriously. Game film is probably 60% of the evaluation of a QB.

And using film you look at the traits the QB has, not the results or competition, but arm strength, release, anticipation, processing speed, situational awareness, placement, touch accuracy, pocket presence.

Wilson is far better at these things than Fields (who is still very good).

You look at athleticism and Fields is ahead. Wilson is far closer than people may realize here.

But the 40% we do not see is super important. 

How does he interview? What is his personality like? What were his work habits? What did his coach and teammates think? Off field issues?

How well can he explain what he did and games and why? Can he break down defenses and protections? (Reminder that Fields had NO responsibility here he was not asked to this)

How well can he retain information? Understand a NFL playbook (Here again Wilson ran a Pro offense, Ohio State ran a true college offense)

What sense do you get of his leadership?

All of this stuff we do not see. Plus there are facts that Fields did not work under shotgun, or do much play action. Fields is a far more unknown prospect in terms of NFL projection than Wilson.

Anyone watching any of the BYU interviews will know that Wilson likely killed it in these areas, we don't know with Fields but he would be less prepared.

Remember, per the GMs own words the evaluation of Fields and Wilson is NOT close.

Trubisky was #1 & 2 on everyone’s board too.

16 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Pre-snap and post-snap reads...there's a graveyard of talented QBs that couldn't grasp it.  And poor coaching is definitely a part of that.  Its what allowed QBs with very little mobility like Peyton Mannng and Tom Brady to be so good.  They were excellent at it.  As well as with their mechanics and acurracy.

For what I understand...Wilson drowns himself in film study.  He's described as a fanatic when it comes to this.  This I believe is a big part of how he's honed field awareness and allowed his instincts to work in his favor.  That field awareness...plus the BYU offense...makes him a very good fit for a Shanahan disciple's offense like LaFleur's.  

My concern with Wilson is too much hero ball.  He has to learn what tight windows he can throw into and which ones he shouldn't at the NFL level.  Sometimes he goes for the deep downfield throes into tight coverage.  And passes up those Shanahan designed short-intermediate ones...that receivers can catch and run with it.   Coaching, film study and experience will hopefully allow him eventually to make the quick good decisions he needs to make. in order to be a successful top 10 FQB.  

Good post!

It prob helps that Zach Wilson is prescribed adderall lol (not a knock/endorsement, just an observation) 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

So 99% of reputable talent evaluators should get their heads examined, but the 1% (presumably you and a few others) do not fall in that boat? 

Meanwhile they said I had the god-complex... lol makes so much sense

Again 99% of these same evaluators watched Trubisky and Mahomes play and thought the former was better. Wilson is benefiting from their overcompensation & course correction. 

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

It prob helps that Zach Wilson is prescribed adderall lol (not a knock/endorsement, just an observation) 

I have a genuine question about this, I presume Zack will have to pass protocols every year to be allowed to take his medication, what happens if at some stage he does not pass in the future or protocol rules are changed? Zack has stated that his medication has helped him concentrate and again this is not ment to be a slight against Zack it's a genuine concern and question.

2 hours ago, football guy said:

So in short talent evaluators/GMs who are handsomely compensated for their ability project how prospects’ skills and traits will translate are in fact incapable of doing (see Mahomes, Watson, Allen, Herbert...etc.).  Ironically, just like Fields’ anticipation they need to “see it”.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

If he is the same caliber “prospect” why are they talking about him so high?  Mahomes went 10th and Rodgers 20 something.  Only one touting Mahomes as the next GOAT was ME.

Me too but on a different message board.

39 minutes ago, legler82 said:

There’s a SI writer that covers the 49ers that says he has a source that says the Jets are taking Fields.  So that’s 2 out of like a million.

Draft Sewell and see if one of the two Fields or Lance fall to 23

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Again 99% of these same evaluators watched Trubisky and Mahomes play and thought the former was better. Wilson is benefiting from their overcompensation & course correction. 

Zach Wilson is going to end up being a prime example of sports media group think gone wrong

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2021 at 12:20 PM, playtowinthegame said:

ESPN Get Up | Damien Woody reports 49ers expected to attend Justin Fields' second pro day next week

Hope the Jets send Robert Saleh there next Wednesday since he missed the first Pro Day. 

Nah, we're good.

20210330_223820.jpg.5449d386cd8e8bc377827a294e3bbd9d.jpg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Absolutely nothing there says he has a source that the Jets are taking Fields.C76A0CB7-BEA9-4839-9964-C602239999C3.thumb.jpeg.32af9f8e8b03a6f837272517c7586510.jpeg

Adding on to this, it’s been heavily reported that 49ers want Wilson.  They just don’t believe (or already know) that he won’t be there.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Absolutely nothing there says he has a source that the Jets are taking Fields.C76A0CB7-BEA9-4839-9964-C602239999C3.thumb.jpeg.32af9f8e8b03a6f837272517c7586510.jpeg

This is the only article I read linking the jets to fields, it would he hard the believe a 49er beat writer know what Joe Douglas is going to do seen as most if not all the jets beat writers are in the dark on Joes dealings.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Again, how can you project a player to be something when you've never seen that player do it? Trubisky was a pretty polarizing prospect. He had the sheer athletic talent that both Mahomes and Deshaun had. His arm was in between the 2 of them in terms of pure arm strength/talent. What gave him the advantage in many decision-maker's minds? He was asked to do things in North Carolina's offense that translates to the pros. The concerns? His (lack thereof) experience, inability to beat out the predecessor, and leadership qualities. Still, teams had reason to believe that his development in those critical areas would improve the more immersed he became with the pro game. 

I'm not one to be captain hindsight. The process that led to Trubisky being the "top" QB in that class was rational. Personally, Mahomes was my favorite prospect... I saw him as one with Favre/Rodgers like abilities, and he was the guy I would take to let sit for a few years and see if you can harness his unconventional style into a consistent QB from down-to-down, but I was totally aware of his flaws and many others were as well. Mahomes would not be the QB he is today if he didn't land in the situation he were in. Similarly, I think Trubisky would've been a better player had he landed in a better situation, albeit his ceiling was proven to not be as high because his play did not speed up the way scouts anticipated him to. 

I can only speak for myself, and I've been very vocal in that feeling about Wilson being thrust into the starting lineup. I do worry that he's going to be thrust in the starting lineup, but what I like about what the Jets are doing is that they will be very patient and are going to establish a run-first offense in year 1, will prioritize the OL, etc. 

56 minutes ago, legler82 said:

So in short talent evaluators/GMs who are handsomely compensated for their ability project how prospects’ skills and traits will translate are in fact incapable of doing (see Mahomes, Watson, Allen, Herbert...etc.).  Ironically, just like Fields’ anticipation they need to “see it”.

This isn't a computer game. Projection is it. How can I project you as a surgeon if you never went to med school? For all we know you could be the best surgeon in the world once given the opportunity to be one, but who in their right mind is going to put a scaple in your hand if you haven't had the proper training? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Again, how can you project a player to be something when you've never seen that player do it? Trubisky was a pretty polarizing prospect. He had the sheer athletic talent that both Mahomes and Deshaun had. His arm was in between the 2 of them in terms of pure arm strength/talent. What gave him the advantage in many decision-maker's minds? He was asked to do things in North Carolina's offense that translates to the pros. The concerns? His (lack thereof) experience, inability to beat out the predecessor, and leadership qualities. Still, teams had reason to believe that his development in those critical areas would improve the more immersed he became with the pro game. 

I'm not one to be captain hindsight. The process that led to Trubisky being the "top" QB in that class was rational. Personally, Mahomes was my favorite prospect... I saw him as one with Favre/Rodgers like abilities, and he was the guy I would take to let sit for a few years and see if you can harness his unconventional style into a consistent QB from down-to-down, but I was totally aware of his flaws and many others were as well. Mahomes would not be the QB he is today if he didn't land in the situation he were in. Similarly, I think Trubisky would've been a better player had he landed in a better situation, albeit his ceiling was proven to not be as high because his play did not speed up the way scouts anticipated him to. 

I can only speak for myself, and I've been very vocal in that feeling about Wilson being thrust into the starting lineup. I do worry that he's going to be thrust in the starting lineup, but what I like about what the Jets are doing is that they will be very patient and are going to establish a run-first offense in year 1, will prioritize the OL, etc. 

This isn't a computer game. Projection is it. How can I project you as a surgeon if you never went to med school? For all we know you could be the best surgeon in the world once given the opportunity to be one, but who in their right mind is going to put a scaple in your hand if you haven't had the proper training? 

I’m not in the business of making excuses for guys getting paid millions to do their jobs.  If there is no projecting involved, then there’s no need for scouting. Just draft what you see. 

On 4/8/2021 at 2:17 PM, Mogglez said:

I’m pretty convinced the pick is going to be Wilson, but if at any point Douglas decides that he is going to go Fields instead, it would be a mistake of ridiculous proportions to not call SF and trade down the one spot.

music video birdman GIF

• Haha 2