Fantastic Interview with John Beck on Wilson, Fields, Lance and Trask

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

I think lance going early will ease some of that backlash 

As it is the media sweeps Lance under the rug like he's chopped liver as it is because he played for NDSU and has been out-of-sight, out-of-mind... when Justin falls, the media will go in overdrive regardless where Lance goes. Not because it's relevant, but because it's convenient for their business. Sad. 

• Upvote 4

I'm playing up to my own arguments about not taking a top football program's QB but Fields is almost certain to drop past the top ten. Ohio State is just not a school that produces NFL QBs and empirically the entire league seems to agree. The only QB they've put into the first round, at least in recent history, is Haskins who went fifteenth but was dumped in two years by Washington and signed to a futures contract with the Steelers where he might be a backup QB at best. If the NFL's history of drafting Ohio State QBs is any indication Fields is more likely to go in the second round or later. So there's a hot take for you.

Lance is definitely the most interesting to watch. On one hand he was taught to run a pro-style offense but on the other hand he's twenty with not a ton of experience in that system. He could be the Lamar Jackson of this draft that goes later in the first round and turns out to be the best or second best of the draft. Very likely he could be picked up by a team that can afford to give him a year to mature than a team that needs a starter in September. 

14 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I'm playing up to my own arguments about not taking a top football program's QB but Fields is almost certain to drop past the top ten. Ohio State is just not a school that produces NFL QBs and empirically the entire league seems to agree. The only QB they've put into the first round, at least in recent history, is Haskins who went fifteenth but was dumped in two years by Washington and signed to a futures contract with the Steelers where he might be a backup QB at best. If the NFL's history of drafting Ohio State QBs is any indication Fields is more likely to go in the second round or later. So there's a hot take for you.

Lance is definitely the most interesting to watch. On one hand he was taught to run a pro-style offense but on the other hand he's twenty with not a ton of experience in that system. He could be the Lamar Jackson of this draft that goes later in the first round and turns out to be the best or second best of the draft. Very likely he could be picked up by a team that can afford to give him a year to mature than a team that needs a starter in September. 

So a few things. Haskins is not nearly as talented as Fields. Haskins had a looser arm coming out but athletically there was no comparison, and pure arm strength wasn't comparable either. I also think Haskins' intangibles rubbed people the wrong way, don't see that with Fields despite some of the stuff out there. All being said, Haskins wasn't in a loaded QB class the way Fields is... one could've made the argument for Fields to go #1 in 2019, at the very least in the top 7, whereas I think Fields is the 4th QB in this class right now. Forget what I think, the overwhelming "consensus" among those in the know place him 3-5 with a gap between Wilson and Lawrence. Ultimately it will come down to fit... 

JAX/NYJ are going different directions. If SF doesn't go Jones I'd be shocked if they took Fields over Lance. If ATL takes a QB I would think it would be Lance, but ownership could change that. After that, the best fit for him among teams needing a QB is NE. They employ arguably the best scheme for him, and I would think they would trade up for him out of fear that WAS/CHI could move up. Another sneaky team to watch for Fields is one you mentioned: Pittsburgh. They've acknowledged that new OC's scheme will be a gradual rollout because they don't have the personnel to match his vision (part of that starts at QB). Fields could pair well with what Canada is looking to implement long-term

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

23:00 and 28:30 minute marks. His explanation here vs. how Wilson fits with conviction speaks so many volumes, and he hits the nail on the head how important "fit" is for the QB position more than any other and how much impact it has on the success/failure of a prospect. 

I get why people like Fields, I get why they think Fields has high upside, I get some of the arguments in favor of Fields (even if it's something as primitive of the school he played for or 40-time)... but if people really cared about Fields ability to transition to the NFL and succeed, they would not want him on this team. He would fail, miserably, and much would not be his fault. He needs to land in a spot that will either award him 1-2 years to develop, or an E-P/Air Raid/RPO variant that is a clear fit for where he is right now and will be able to get most out of him short-and-long term.

That's what I never understood in this whole argument pitting Wilson and Fields against each other. Both are great athletes. Both checkboxes. Wilson is far more projectable and has even more upside as a thrower... his processor/ability to progress to his next read is faster than I've ever seen in a college QB... Wilson has demonstrated an ability does everything that is required in this offense, Fields simply has not. It's not a knock to say he's a better fit for another offense - Tom Brady played in E-P variants for his entire career and he's the greatest QB of all time - but for whatever reason this gets some people all hot and bothered

I thought a few things were interesting:

1. Very clear Wilson is going to the Jets,. despite Beck saying "whatever team he goes to" a couple times. He answered a couple questions about Zach and the Jets flat out

2. It really felt like Beck had tried, unsuccessfully it seems to convince someone that Fields was a good fit for the Shanahan offense. My guess is that person is Shanahan himself

3. I got the feeling that Beck was told  that not only was he not a great fit for the Shanahan offense but that he has been told that Fields would need to have an offense built around him. Definitely seemed like he thought Fields would fall a lot maybe even past the Top 8.

4. Seems like Trask might make it into the first round

5. It was subtle, because he was trying to be positive about all of them, but it seemed obvious that he thought Wilson was the best of his prospects. Whether that is helped by his associations with BYU is unknown

6. Also not bashing Fields, but when Beck was saying that Fields wants to stay late and work on Saturdays, he wanted that to feel like a compliment for Fields but the way he said it gave the feeling that Fields was struggling to grasp the coaching he was receiving.

• Upvote 1

Really good interview, with lots of very interesting insight from Beck.

Pity you have to put up with that insufferable thin f**k Peter King too, but that's just the price you have to pay.

Thanks for posting - well worth a listen.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, nycdan said:

But what does *Jeff* Beck think?

1 minute ago, Bungaman said:

As a registered old fart, I listened to that LP back in the day until it was played gray.

I bought it on CD and it's getting pretty worn too.  Truth and Beck-ola double album also.  

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

It's literally on the top of my stack lol. Play With Me.  So good.

I know it's sort of a thread hijack, but who needs another QB draft thread anyway.

If you like Beck, have you heard Brand X?  Got a very similar vibe.  Not quite as guitar-centric (of course) but that same early-80s stoner groove with maybe a little less funk but a little more jazz overtones.   Kind of if Jeff Beck and Weather Report had a love child.

Try Unorthodox Behavior album.  Nuclear Burn and Born Ugly.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I know it's sort of a thread hijack, but who needs another QB draft thread anyway.

If you like Beck, have you heard Brand X?  Got a very similar vibe.  Not quite as guitar-centric (of course) but that same early-80s stoner groove with maybe a little less funk but a little more jazz overtones.   Kind of if Jeff Beck and Weather Report had a love child.

lol Weather Report Heavy Weather is in my stack too. I’ll give it a try.

21 hours ago, johnnysd said:

.....but Beck provides fantastic insight into all of these guys...

Is that the same John Beck who was selected #40 overall, and was a complete bust at the NFL level as a QB?

I find it interesting how all the supposed QB experts, gurus and coaches were borderline horrible Pro players.

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is that the same John Beck who was selected #40 overall, and was a complete bust at the NFL level as a QB?

I find it interesting how all the supposed QB experts, gurus and coaches were borderline horrible Pro players.

You never heard the old saying if you can't do teach??B)

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Tiger Woods has taken lessons from golfers who could not sniff the Korn Ferry tour.

There was a swim coach of championship teams that couldn't swim.

But yeah same guy. Comes across as super sharp though

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Now you're talking lol... Favorite album is Moroccan Roll / Disco Suicide...   Also Listen to Jeff Beck and Tal Wilkenfeld. She play bass like some of the greats..

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

Just look at Beck's face while she's soloing...

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Tiger Woods has taken lessons from golfers who could not sniff the Korn Ferry tour.

There was a swim coach of championship teams that couldn't swim.

But yeah same guy. Comes across as super sharp though

My driver’s Ed teacher didn’t have a license.  He is no longer with us...

GIF by Sky

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Those who can, play. Those who can’t, coach.

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Now you're talking lol... Favorite album is Moroccan Roll / Disco Suicide...   Also Listen to Jeff Beck and Tal Wilkenfeld. She play bass like some of the greats..

I've played bass for 40+ years.  I've been happily married for 20+ years.  I like to think my wife would understand...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Bill Walsh, Andy Reid, the Shanahan’s, Sean Payton all had great NFL QB playing careers.