Alternate Universe Draft. What if Sam Stayed.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

No he would not. Macc wasn’t taking Allen—superficially too similar to Hackenberg. Rosen would be a Jet.

There was plenty of chatter that the Jets liked Allen.  

Then the backlash from the fanbase saying Macc made a deal and was stuck with the worst QB of the group.

10 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

Great thread. Let's do "Suppose we won the championship game with Nacho"

"Suppose we drafted Marino instead of Kenny O ... what would the 2021 draft have looked like?" :D 

Just now, Larz said:

Trade back with 9ers. 

Add a couple nice players 

sam still does the dumb thing’s he’s been doing since USC

if the jets traded back and got a haul, it would hurt that much worse this season watching darnold suck with all these new players and a new coach and system, watching red zone and these new qbs at least flashing elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Only alternate Darnold version I've considered, is the one where we took the rumored second round pick (43) from SF back in February instead of what we got from Carolina.

Raiders took the safety Moehrig at that spot. We would have looked elsewhere, maybe one of Samuel Jr, Ojulari, Cosmi, Owusu-Koromoah, Radunz, etc. I think on reflection, and the news of JOK's medical concerns, I prefer to have the future 2nd and 4th next year. 

2 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Only alternate Darnold version I've considered, is the one where we took the rumored second round pick (43) from SF back in February instead of what we got from Carolina.

Raiders took the safety Moehrig at that spot. We would have looked elsewhere, maybe one of Samuel Jr, Ojulari, Cosmi, Owusu-Koromoah, Radunz, etc. I think on reflection, and the news of JOK's medical concerns, I prefer to have the future 2nd and 4th next year. 

the thing is, there's only so many spots you can upgrade.  the jets burned 3 picks to get a guard.  they still got a very good wr and rb.  they have a slew of picks next year.  trading back did not make sense this year.

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the jets traded back and got a haul, it would hurt that much worse this season watching darnold suck with all these new players and a new coach and system, watching red zone and these new qbs at least flashing elsewhere.

Exactly, then we’re stuck in 8-8 land again and can’t draft a QB

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

OK - we'll just have to agree to disagree. I saw enough out of Darnold the last 4 games of his rookie season for me to think he can be a good QB. After that you have Gase, who was the worst HC, an O coordinator that was hiking in the mountains and a team that had the worst talent in the league thanks to Idzak and Macc.

Near impossible to look good in that situation. That's why I'll follow him in Carolina on a decent team and see how he plays.

Cool to disagree. I want you on my jury if I’m ever on trial for murder and the prosecutor has DNA, video, a bus full of nuns as eye witnesses and a confession.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

There was plenty of chatter that the Jets liked Allen.  

Then the backlash from the fanbase saying Macc made a deal and was stuck with the worst QB of the group.

It’ll never be proven but I go to my grave believing Allen was off Macc’s board completely at #3.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

P.S. It's terribly entertaining to read some of Sam's most ardent fanbois now pretending like they never liked him and always though he sucked.  You guys are just silly.

Have no fear, we'll all get to see if Sam sucks in Carolina, or if it was Gase/Jets Roster Management that truly sucked the last three years.

No need to rush it, time and gameplay will tell that tale soon enough, same as it will for Wilson.

Every TD he throws for the rest of his career and the Samoids will come up from the dirt like earthworms after rain. Remember when Geno got a spot start with Giants couple years ago? The Genoids couldn’t resist telling us that now he will (finally) prove Da Haterz™️ wrong. Sam is at least likable. It’ll be even worse.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’ll never be proven but I go to my grave believing Allen was off Macc’s board completely at #3.

I dont know, I dont think anyone can know.  

But the QBs going into the draft were ranked Darnold, Rosen and then Allen 3rd.  Who knows if Macc agreed but I thought I remember reading he scouted Allen a lot given his west coast trips to scout Sam.  

Given his history of drafting the highest ranked players on the board, there was a chance.  I remember @Mogglez freaking out that we were going to get stuck with Allen.  I was fine with it and he kept telling me I was crazy

15 hours ago, Curtis Martian said:

Just for fun, and to compare what we have now, with "what if"...

You're Joe Douglas, it's draft day, and you have Sam, no. 2, 23, and 34. What do you do in the first two rounds? Do you start by trading back a few spots as I would? Ok then what?

If Darnold was still here, I wouldn't watch.  I sure as hell wouldn't care about the draft. 

I'd be asking to be woken up in 2022 after his contract expires.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Let's see if all you 'Darnold is the worst QB EVER' guys still feel the same way after watching how he performs on a Carolina team that's not great but at least decent.

He'll be a bad QB on a good team.  Robby Anderson will douse himself in gasoline after Week 1 like @Jet_Engine1 did earlier in the thread.  Next hypothetical please.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

OK - we'll just have to agree to disagree. I saw enough out of Darnold the last 4 games of his rookie season for me to think he can be a good QB. After that you have Gase, who was the worst HC, an O coordinator that was hiking in the mountains and a team that had the worst talent in the league thanks to Idzak and Macc.

Near impossible to look good in that situation. That's why I'll follow him in Carolina on a decent team and see how he plays.

britney spears have fun GIF

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I don't think it even requires that level of dedication.  Macc attended Rosen's Pro Day.  West Coast.  Its a strong likelihood his top 3 was Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield with Allen outside of the top 3.  Macc traded up knowing he was comfortable with any of those 3.

Seemed pretty clear to me anyways, if someone wants to provide evidence that suggests something contradictory to that, have at it.  I know its been discussed ad nauseum and I may well have missed something.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think it even requires that level of dedication.  Macc attended Rosen's Pro Day.  West Coast.  His top 3 was Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, likely in that order. 

Seemed pretty clear to me anyways, if someone wants to provide evidence that suggests something contradictory to that, have at it.

I thought he had Mayfield second, but agree otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Same exact draft.

Take Wilson at #2, decline Darnold's fifth year option, let Darnold start the year and play the role of bridge quarterback while Wilson is groomed.

And get no trade compensation back for Darnold?  No.

Let Morgan or a cheap vet be the bridge QB, if needed.

58 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And get no trade compensation back for Darnold?  No.

Let Morgan or a cheap vet be the bridge QB, if needed.

The hypothetical is "what if Sam stayed."

Trading him for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th was the right move.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Darnold was still here, I wouldn't watch.  I sure as hell wouldn't care about the draft. 

I'd be asking to be woken up in 2022 after his contract expires.

I also wouldn’t watch.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think it even requires that level of dedication.  Macc attended Rosen's Pro Day.  West Coast.  Its a strong likelihood his top 3 was Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield with Allen outside of the top 3.  Macc traded up knowing he was comfortable with any of those 3.

Seemed pretty clear to me anyways, if someone wants to provide evidence that suggests something contradictory to that, have at it.  I know its been discussed ad nauseum and I may well have missed something.

No doubt Macc had Rosen above Allen. I’m saying I think he was completely off Macc’s board entirely. As in wouldn’t touch with a 13 foot pole. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont know, I dont think anyone can know.  

But the QBs going into the draft were ranked Darnold, Rosen and then Allen 3rd.  Who knows if Macc agreed but I thought I remember reading he scouted Allen a lot given his west coast trips to scout Sam.  

Given his history of drafting the highest ranked players on the board, there was a chance.  I remember @Mogglez freaking out that we were going to get stuck with Allen.  I was fine with it and he kept telling me I was crazy

We don’t know in the metaphysical sense that no one knows anything. But based on evidence and common sense, we know beyond a reasonable degree of certainty. 

6 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Same exact draft.

Take Wilson at #2, decline Darnold's fifth year option, let Darnold start the year and play the role of bridge quarterback while Wilson is groomed.

Bridge to nowhere 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

We don’t know in the metaphysical sense that no one knows anything. But based on evidence and common sense, we know beyond a reasonable degree of certainty. 

No, its a guess.  Rumors or beliefs dont qualify as evidence.  As much as we all want our guesses to be more than guesses

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, its a guess.  Rumors or beliefs dont qualify as evidence.  As much as we all want our guesses to be more than guesses

Thank God you are here to remind us what an opinion is.

• Haha 1