Prospects 2022 and random college ball talk.

23 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Might be the best friend for a young QB in the draft, the team just desperately needs to improve at the position, and they play multiple guys so I’d think adding via the draft is in play even if they add a FA.

Could be worth coming up from that early second rounder to secure him if they’ve got ammo, which I imagine they will since it’s hard to imagine a trade up with one of the firsts.

19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah that’s a more run heavy sub package. On passing down I’d imagine they run 

Lawson… Karlaftis… JFM… Huff

My mock drafts have started to be focused on different concepts. Connor Hughes said in his most recent podcast that vibe at 1 Jets Drive is that the offense will keep improving and that’s because it received a talent injection this past offseason, and they intend to do the same to the defense next offseason. With that in mind I secure the LB in rounds 1/2 and try to get 2 Edge by round 4.

Interestingggg. More fuel for the Lloyd Dean pick selection.. My last mock i did makes a ton of sense! Again, if you really think about it.. Adding an LB and WR in rd 1 then Edge in 2 makes a lot of sense to me.. Or LB and Edge in 1 and WR in 2. 

9 hours ago, PLO said:

How high is too high for Devin Lloyd? If the Seattle pick falls into the teens he could well be in the picture for us depending on the way the draft falls. 

I’d probably take him in the teens. He’s a physical freak and a leader who can blitz, play the run, and cover.

• Upvote 2

Right now we sit at #4 and #6.

It's soooo early, but many mocks have HOU taking a QB and JAX taking Neal.  That would leave one of Thibodeaux or Hutchinson to us at #4.  All hope is not lost.

With the second pick, we can get cute, maybe move down for Lloyd or Linderbaum.  Or maybe just grab Stingley or Hamilton.  In any case, I think we need to do something big on defense this offseason.  

Can we draft a new DC in the 2nd round?

So I love trying to find late round fliers for WRs.  Best case, I really wanted DPJ the year he fell, worst case, I fell in love with some losers.  

Anyway, what do you guys think of Dontay Demus?  Injury should keep his stock low, but I think he has size/speed with good hands.  Blocking seems bad, but would love to hear what others seem to think.  I don't think he's a No. 1 type, but a good No. 2 type upside.  

Take a flier on him and have Bob Wischusen say “Sincerely yours” every time he scores.

Although I like his patience and forward drive when contacted. Doesn’t look like he breaks too many tackles but has enough to power through initial contact. Long speed is nice. A late round RB who can block, catch, and runs well seems like a good use of assets.

• Upvote 2

On 12/10/2021 at 6:06 PM, kdels62 said:

Take a flier on him and have Bob Wischusen say “Sincerely yours” every time he scores.

Although I like his patience and forward drive when contacted. Doesn’t look like he breaks too many tackles but has enough to power through initial contact. Long speed is nice. A late round RB who can block, catch, and runs well seems like a good use of assets.

If Ty Johnson continues to struggle in the pass game, this may be a good selection going forward.  The one thing this year has shown is that there were a lot of young guys that the FO thought had potential, but now in increased playing time youre seeing their warts front and center.  This will really help when filling out the roster in the Offseason and not staying married to average players because of potential.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

If Ty Johnson continues to struggle in the pass game, this may be a good selection going forward.  The one thing this year has shown is that there were a lot of young guys that the FO thought had potential, but now in increased playing time youre seeing their warts front and center.  This will really help when filling out the roster in the Offseason and not staying married to average players because of potential.

Anecdotally, Ty Johnson seemed like he has some pretty good receiving games with White and Flacco, but he catch percentage is horrible with Wilson.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I’d look at James Cook as well.   Good receiver, blocks well and doesn’t have much wear and tear on him, especially for a Georgia RB.   He’s probably going in the 5th round.  

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What do y'all think about Jahan Dotson? I'm intrigued by him - seems like an 2nd-4th round explosive play type guy could add an element our offense is missing. He is a smurf, which I'm sure will be a knock.

He’s why I don’t reach for WRs in mock drafts. He’s usually there at the top of round 2. If he was 3 inches taller he might be the first WR off the board. 

Wilson, London, Dotson, Burks- give me any of those guys as WR3.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, kdels62 said:

He’s why I don’t reach for WRs in mock drafts. He’s usually there at the top of round 2. If he was 3 inches taller he might be the first WR off the board. 

Wilson, London, Dotson, Burks- give me any of those guys as WR3.

I do wonder if the back end of the WR’s get nudged up a touch to all go round one on real draft day because there seems to be a tier drop off behind those guys, Olave, and Williams even though as we’ve discussed I do think guys like Bell tend to translate well.

Still would love for them to come away with one of those guys. Also think that WR3 role with Moore and Davis is great for a rookie. Plenty of snaps, don’t have to be the guy. The WR room definitely still needs work and I think the draft is always going to be a better option than FA.

I’d like size but some wheels would be good too. I imagine Wilson would benefit from some designed deep shots with a guy who’s going to be a legitimate threat and the field spacing continues to be horrible still even though Wilson has the arm to threaten.

He’ll likely be overpaid in FA and isn’t a perfect add (thus I’d prefer the draft) but Mike Williams would be an interesting fit if he shakes loose.

7 hours ago, BurntDice said:

So I’ve been diving into these wrs trying to look for a deebo Samuel. The closest one I’ve seen is Traylon Burks. Burks is taller and faster. Deebo probably had better hands coming out. Both are pretty thick. What do you guys think?

Burks is the perfect complement to Elijah Moore in this offense. They can accomplish similar things in drastically different ways. Moore is precise and fine in all of his movement, while Burks is brutality and athleticism. Burks would fit very well in the offense but he has a lot to learn in order to be a player in the scheme. Taking Burks in the mid to late first would be great because he’d get to sit behind Davis and come in for screens and manufactured RAC opportunities. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Burks is the perfect complement to Elijah Moore in this offense. They can accomplish similar things in drastically different ways. Moore is precise and fine in all of his movement, while Burks is brutality and athleticism. Burks would fit very well in the offense but he has a lot to learn in order to be a player in the scheme. Taking Burks in the mid to late first would be great because he’d get to sit behind Davis and come in for screens and manufactured RAC opportunities. 

That’s exactly what I was thinking. He’s definitely raw route running wise, but has sky high potential. The problem with our draft picks is that they are both top 10. Most of the guys I want aren’t valued as top 10 players. I was 100% in on Dotson, but am starting to lean towards Burks to compliment Moore. Taller, electric speed, good size for contested catches and breaking tackles. 

17 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. He’s definitely raw route running wise, but has sky high potential. The problem with our draft picks is that they are both top 10. Most of the guys I want aren’t valued as top 10 players. I was 100% in on Dotson, but am starting to lean towards Burks to compliment Moore. Taller, electric speed, good size for contested catches and breaking tackles. 

Lots of designed runs in college too. That also suits this offense and like kdels said he’s someone you can manufacture touches for to get him going early. Imagine the size is helpful for a team that wants to run the ball with physicality. Compliments Moore well.

The guy who’s a less clean fit in that way but could make sense in a different way is Jameson Williams. Let Moore be explosive but more of a target monster and have Williams as a field spacer with Wilson liking to go deep anyway. The profile isn’t awesome but Alabama has been pretty good putting receivers in the league and he leapfrogged Metchie this year just by virtue of playing well. Cool he’s a punt gunner too.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, derp said:

Lots of designed runs in college too. That also suits this offense and like kdels said he’s someone you can manufacture touches for to get him going early. Imagine the size is helpful for a team that wants to run the ball with physicality. Compliments Moore well.

The guy who’s a less clean fit in that way but could make sense in a different way is Jameson Williams. Let Moore be explosive but more of a target monster and have Williams as a field spacer with Wilson liking to go deep anyway. The profile isn’t awesome but Alabama has been pretty good putting receivers in the league and he leapfrogged Metchie this year just by virtue of playing well. Cool he’s a punt gunner too.

Definitely they have been doing a few of those designed runs this year. Burk will be fantastic for that. My only thing is how similar is he to mims? Poor route runners, both 6’3 and fast. Burks is more agile it looks like tho 

29 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Definitely they have been doing a few of those designed runs this year. Burk will be fantastic for that. My only thing is how similar is he to mims? Poor route runners, both 6’3 and fast. Burks is more agile it looks like tho 

Yup I think the agility is a big distinction and Burks is also a lot thicker. Seems like the big Mims issue has been learning all the positions so that something to flush out pre-draft.

• Upvote 1

So I was reading Dane Bruglars recent article and he was highlighting Dylan Parham from Memphis. He’s a guard who transitioned from DE/TE. He has great athleticism and hand placement when making blocks. He has him ranked 5 out of all IOL. Brugler mentioned that his best fit in the nfl will be center. For mid round pick he seems like a solid fit for this offense. Prior to this I haven’t even heard of the guy, but Brugler is opening my eyes. He will probably need a year to bulk up a bit and get used to the nfl. What do you guys think? 

Given the current QB "situation", is there an argument to go OL again with one of the 2 1st rounders and grabbing Kenneth Walker at the top of round 2? I know many of you are focusing on adding to the WR room (which does need talent), but I watched film on Walker today (its Christmas and I had a lot of free time). He seems like a good fit for the wide zone with his speed and vision. If you take someone like Neal or the North Carolina State kid, you can play them at RG next year. You could field a line of Becton, AVT, McGovern, Neal and Fant. I think that could be a top 10 line next year. Rookie RBs tend to flash early, so you could have a very good running game next year and actually, you know, win games. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Given the current QB "situation", is there an argument to go OL again with one of the 2 1st rounders and grabbing Kenneth Walker at the top of round 2? I know many of you are focusing on adding to the WR room (which does need talent), but I watched film on Walker today (its Christmas and I had a lot of free time). He seems like a good fit for the wide zone with his speed and vision. If you take someone like Neal or the North Carolina State kid, you can play them at RG next year. You could field a line of Becton, AVT, McGovern, Neal and Fant. I think that could be a top 10 line next year. Rookie RBs tend to flash early, so you could have a very good running game next year and actually, you know, win games. 

I’m 100% against taking rb in this first 2 rounds. This team has holes everywhere and do not need a rb over a wr/edge/lb/S/cb/te. I’d even take a DT over rb in round 2. There are plenty of rbs you can take in rounds 4+. Generally OL + passing game = rushing production and not rb. Rbs should be drafted in the mid rounds every couple years and let go once their contract runs out then repeat

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

This is kind of where I was a year ago, there are a lot of ways to skin a cat here of course. I think they’re in a good position to develop on the offensive line instead of continuing to invest heavily, although they certainly could invest heavily. They can bring in an iOL in FA, develop guys behind McGovern and Fant, and keep a little more continuity without going crazy with another top ten pick. 

Also think they’re in a good spot to develop a premium player at wide receiver on an offense that lacks a premium skill player to really threaten defenses - though Moore could get there. But I absolutely get the argument that a dominant OL and a run game are the quickest path to being competitive, and help the defense, and take pressure off the QB.

The one thing that to me is non-negotiable is taking an edge in a very good edge class. I’d prefer two but one needs to happen.

11 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I’m 100% against taking rb in this first 2 rounds. This team has holes everywhere and do not need a rb over a wr/edge/lb/S/cb/te. I’d even take a DT over rb in round 2. There are plenty of rbs you can take in rounds 4+. Generally OL + passing game = rushing production and not rb. Rbs should be drafted in the mid rounds every couple years and let go once their contract runs out then repeat

I certainly understand that argument re RB, but 5 of the top 6 leading rushers went in the top 2 rounds:

1968619295_ScreenShot2021-12-26at10_13_57AM.png.eb09c3a304cfc2830412f6a1d979354f.pngI wouldn't advocate taking a RB in the top 10 of the first round, but all the teams these guys play for are still in the playoff hunt without stellar QB play (except for the Bengals and mayyyyyybe the Vikings). Having a top flight running game also takes pressure off Wilson believing he has to win the games all by himself. 

Look, I'm not saying the Jets have to absolutely choose this route, but I want to start watching winning football sooner rather than later. I don't think the OL is that far away from being a very good group and maybe we shouldn't dismiss what worked with Sanchez for 2 years (very good OL with a strong running game). 

32 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I certainly understand that argument re RB, but 5 of the top 6 leading rushers went in the top 2 rounds:

1968619295_ScreenShot2021-12-26at10_13_57AM.png.eb09c3a304cfc2830412f6a1d979354f.pngI wouldn't advocate taking a RB in the top 10 of the first round, but all the teams these guys play for are still in the playoff hunt without stellar QB play (except for the Bengals and mayyyyyybe the Vikings). Having a top flight running game also takes pressure off Wilson believing he has to win the games all by himself. 

Look, I'm not saying the Jets have to absolutely choose this route, but I want to start watching winning football sooner rather than later. I don't think the OL is that far away from being a very good group and maybe we shouldn't dismiss what worked with Sanchez for 2 years (very good OL with a strong running game). 

I get where you are coming from but rbs don’t need to be workhorses. Having a stable is just as if not more effective. Like if we draft another guy in the mid rounds to pair with carter then we’ll be good. Everyone has their own opinions tho id just much rather have a few mid round guys in rotation than a workhorse. Also very few high drafted rbs are worth their 2nd contract. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I get where you are coming from but rbs don’t need to be workhorses. Having a stable is just as if not more effective. Like if we draft another guy in the mid rounds to pair with carter then we’ll be good. Everyone has their own opinions tho id just much rather have a few mid round guys in rotation than a workhorse. Also very few high drafted rbs are worth their 2nd contract. 

I tend to fall here as well. I’d like a home run hitter to pair with Carter but I’ve wanted a home run hitter in the Jets’ backfield for a couple decades now.

Another really good pass catching back to pair with Carter would be nice. Carter is definitely a committee back. A good one in that role, but a committee back. Having two good pass catching RB’s would be nice for Wilson. Easy completions. I think about what McCaffrey did for Darnold early season when folks thought the Jets made a big mistake trading him.

Jets offense still doesn’t have that guy to make it go, and it’s crazy the difference in the offense one skill guy can make. Think about the QB’s who’ve worked out and Ryan had Julio, Stafford had Megatron, think Green helped Dalton a ton early in his career, Herbert has Allen, Mahomes has Kelce and Hill. Makes a big difference when your playmakers help you out.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, derp said:

I tend to fall here as well. I’d like a home run hitter to pair with Carter but I’ve wanted a home run hitter in the Jets’ backfield for a couple decades now.

Another really good pass catching back to pair with Carter would be nice. Carter is definitely a committee back. A good one in that role, but a committee back. Having two good pass catching RB’s would be nice for Wilson. Easy completions. I think about what McCaffrey did for Darnold early season when folks thought the Jets made a big mistake trading him.

Jets offense still doesn’t have that guy to make it go, and it’s crazy the difference in the offense one skill guy can make. Think about the QB’s who’ve worked out and Ryan had Julio, Stafford had Megatron, think Green helped Dalton a ton early in his career, Herbert has Allen, Mahomes has Kelce and Hill. Makes a big difference when your playmakers help you out.

A guy I’ve been eying is James Cook. Good at receiving and hits the holes well. I like the other Georgia rb  Zamir white also, he doesn’t seem as good at receiving, but might be a better pure runner. Jerome Ford from Cincinnati is interesting too. Great size at 5’11 220 and should compliment Carter well. 

I’d much rather go with a WR in the second. Guys like Burks, Dotson, London would be great fits if they fall to the early 2nd pick.  Alec Pierce could be a steal in the 3rd or 4th also. He can be a solid #2

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BurntDice said:

A guy I’ve been eying is James Cook. Good at receiving and hits the holes well. I like the other Georgia rb  Zamir white also, he doesn’t seem as good at receiving, but might be a better pure runner. Jerome Ford from Cincinnati is interesting too. Great size at 5’11 220 and should compliment Carter well. 

I’d much rather go with a WR in the second. Guys like Burks, Dotson, London would be great fits if they fall to the early 2nd pick.  Alec Pierce could be a steal in the 3rd or 4th also. He can be a solid #2

I’d probably prefer one of those guys in the second but it’s a dice roll seeing if they last there. I think that tier of WR’s gets pushed up because there’s a real drop off after. And do think they need a #1 more than a solid #2 otherwise waiting would feel better.

• Upvote 1