Training camp 8/5 - The pads are back on!

19 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

Becton played a lot of RT in college.  He didn't always play LT.  I just think the right side suites him better.  Just my opinion. 

Louisville would flop him from side to side in 2018, he primarily played LT in '19.

Moses is worse at pass blocking, and from watching games last year, I can attest Fant should not start at tackle. 

Becton is far from being a finished product, so I expect him to get better at each practice.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Louisville would flop him from side to side in 2018, he primarily played LT in '19.

Moses is worse at pass blocking, and from watching games last year, I can attest Fant should not start at tackle. 

Becton is far from being a finished product, so I expect him to get better at each practice.

I definitely agree for this year but in the future I could see him being a better fit on the right side if we had someone more suited to play LT

• Thumb Down 4

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Lawson is short for an edge rusher.  Lawson gets really low and for a guy as tall as Becton is, makes it hard for Becton to get leverage on him.  Becton is getting better though.  Didn’t give up a pressure yesterday I believe.  

Yup , Lawson same size as Dwight Freeny. He had quite the career. Lawson talks about studying pass rushers , Freeny would be a good film study. Freeny’s spin move would be nice to see.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

No mystery what the Jets are going to do on offense this year.  

Dont expect it to be like ground and pound. If you actually look at the numbers the "Shanahan" offense is skewed towards the pass, even the SF version. The difference is that 1st and 2nd downs are very balanced run/pass so that both play action and running are successful. It is not a run-run-pass offense.

• Upvote 2

Seems like a fine day of practice - hopefully the injuries aren't too serious. 

One thing I can't help but notice is it seems like on a consistent basis the only two WRs who have been consistently performing are obviously Moore and then Corey Davis. Haven't seen anything consistent from guys like Crowder, Cole, Mims, Berrios, etc. I'm guessing Crowder will have a significantly reduced role in the new scheme. However, it really feels like there should be an opportunity for Mims to emerge - especially since he is predominantly running with the 2s/3s... pretty disappointed he hasn't made more of an impact. 

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Dont expect it to be like ground and pound. If you actually look at the numbers the "Shanahan" offense is skewed towards the pass, even the SF version. The difference is that 1st and 2nd downs are very balanced run/pass so that both play action and running are successful. It is not a run-run-pass offense.

That's not exactly accurate. In 2019 when SF went to the SB, SF had 498 running plays and 478 passes.  That number flipped more towards the pass last year.  I think if the Jets are not trailing significantly in most games, I would expect this to be run-based offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Seems like a fine day of practice - hopefully the injuries aren't too serious. 

One thing I can't help but notice is it seems like on a consistent basis the only two WRs who have been consistently performing are obviously Moore and then Corey Davis. Haven't seen anything consistent from guys like Crowder, Cole, Mims, Berrios, etc. I'm guessing Crowder will have a significantly reduced role in the new scheme. However, it really feels like there should be an opportunity for Mims to emerge - especially since he is predominantly running with the 2s/3s... pretty disappointed he hasn't made more of an impact. 

They were quiet today, but we have heard quite a bit from Berrios, Cole and Crowder in past days.  Mims is the guy that appears to be struggling to find a role int he offense and may be behind Vyncint Smith on the depth chart.  Smith has also made noise in past practices.

• Upvote 2