2021 One Jets Drive: Episode 2

My take away - amazed at how together this team is.  They genuinely seem to like each other…a massive departure from the Joe Vitt days where I couldn’t believe we had people that ratted on each other working together. 

this team and staff are really moving in right direction and are people we can root for.  I’m eager to see if this collection of players changes what it’s like in MetLife.  It’s been an abysmal home field.  This group can make the place a mad house again.  That would make it even more entertaining.

• Upvote 2

Good watch. Thanks for posting.

• Corey Davis is a grown up
  • Elijah Moore has an incredible amount of confidence
  • Keelan Cole is cool AF

Denzel Mims was interesting, though. He doesn't have the natural maturity of Davis, the will to be great like Moore or as relaxed and comfortable as Cole. 

It'll be interesting to see which that goes. He's young and he can develop that mentality, but clearly after watching this - he needs to. 

• Upvote 1

Great episode.

Maybe Elijah saw the video of Jerry Rice in his first TC but he said largely the same things. I am not predicting he will be anything like Jerry but few truly want to be the best in the world and will say it. And it was said with confidence and almost humility.

Corey Davis seems very grounded and mature.

Mims seems pretty shy and has a great support group in the other receivers. I forgot that he missed all of TC so he is almost as much of a rookie as Moore.

Cole seems like a good teammate. Crowder despite having to know it's his last year seems engaged and exciting. 

Watch Dallas Hard Knocks the players seem to just be about themselves. 

The Jets receivers really do seem close.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don't know... I'm alone in struggling to get through listening to a guy who just got a $37M deal with $27M guaranteed talk about feeding his family?

He grew up pretty poor. After that I don't really blame anyone for never losing that mentality. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He grew up pretty poor. After that I don't really blame anyone for never losing that mentality. 

Mentality isn't the same as talking about it as much as he did.

To add, I like Davis, it was just a bit much for my taste.

image.thumb.png.1b83d68be9dba51ddbaee86b8c70e9e1.png

I absolutely loved this episode because I've been sky high on our WR room and this episode featured our WRs. 

Elijah Moore: Superstar WR in the makings and I can't stress it enough this kid broke the All-Time single season Ole' Miss Receiving record for most Receptions during a single season. And he did it during only 8 games. Which is nuts. His focus, hunger and determination is what I love the most and A.J. Brown wasn't lying when he said he can't do the sh*t Elijah Moore can do (because 86 catches within an elite SEC Conference throughout only 8 games is, unreal).

Corey Davis: This young man has been through a lot, he's super humble and  we've now got ourselves a beast #1 on the outside. After leaving the NCAA as the only WR in college history to ever record 300+ receptions, 5,000+ receiving yards (still #1 All-Time) and 50+ TD receptions he was immediately drafted into WR hell and throughout the previous two years @ Tennessee his Titans offenses have ranked #1 in rushing attempts and 30th in passing attempts (he's going to become the most physically dominant outside #1 WR we've featured since Keyshawn Johnson and he's still on 26 years old).

Denzel Mims: Freaking love this kid. 6'3 and physical on the outside with 4.3 blazing speed and tough as nails over the middle of the field (led the entire NCAA #1 in contested catches in traffic) which let's you know he's got really good hands. I was going nuts when Rich Cimini was claiming he was "on the verge of getting cut and released" during his first ever NFL training camp and that's only because there's something Rich Cimini was hiding from us (Denzel's 51 preseason receiving yards was no, fluke); 

Screenshot_20210818-092353.thumb.png.fb3178f2a9721143ef5fc121fdf7f68b.png

Jamison Crowder: So glad he's back. I was flipping out @ fans wanting to release him before his contract renegotiation and that's because he's the type of veteran leader (still only 28 years old) that these younger WRs (especially Elijah/Denzel) truly need. I believe he'll become our #4 behind Davis/Mims/Elijah and we'll also see a lot of 4 wide under Mike LaFleur too and not only is he a top 5 NFL slot receiver but he'll now become the NFL'S best 4th receiver because I guarantee you that no NFL football fan can show us numbers of a #4 WR that can beat 137 receptions/211 targets (65% catch rate), 1,532 receiving yards and 12 TDs throughout the previous two years as a JET (despite Sam Darnold/Adam Gase) and if so, who? 

Keelan Cole: Never knew about this dudes character and personality. He's the type of class clown in which this serious WR group needs. Because he's funny. Goofy. And brings a great energy about himself during every single meeting and practice. He's also a really good receiver too and one who can produce @ both outside and slot too. By far the #1 and most productive #5 NFL WR because throughout his first 4 years of 64 games played (never missed a single game), 159 Receptions for 2,242 Receiving yards and 12 TD Receptions (despite crap QB play @ Jacksonville) and which NFL #5 WR can compete with those statistics? No one. None of them.

#1 on the outside = Corey Davis. 

#2 on the outside = Denzel Mims. 

X-Factor Slot =Elijah Moore (who will become utilized as our Darrelle Revis of the WR position meaning that we'll see him lined up all over the offense @ WR #1, WR #2, Slot Receiver and also coming out of the backfield (as he did @ Ole' Miss). 

#4 working the slots = Jamison Crowder. 

#5 as a combo outside/inside = Keelan Cole. 

What's unique and rare about this WR unit is that no one player is going to be "buried" on our Depth Charts.

They are all going to play and they're all going to line up all over the field @ different/multiple WR positions too (in order to keep opposing D's off balance and uncomfortable). 

We might not yet have that #1 Tyreek Hill and/or Davante Adams/Stefon Diggs WR Superstar just yet (because Elijah Moore is soon to be coming for them) but from top to bottom?

1-5?

Joe Douglas has built us the NFL's #1 WR unit and in terms of overall talent and it's not even close because Zach Wilson is just a rookie but I dare you to give Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers/Patrick Mahomes or even Lamar Jackson/Josh Allen this WR group and I guarantee you they'll set NFL records.

zv2M82.gif

lctsaqjt5nh8zyjajood

With this kid catching out of the backfield? 

image.png.3b87d1063662e15dfb40cd343278e5fe.png

Zach Wilson is now fully loaded. 

And ever since I've been a kid I've listened to my older brother rave about Toon/Walker well it's my turn now. I'm telling him Elijah Moore/Denzel Mims is our next electric long-term WR duo.

(and separating Moss/Coles was criminal and Joe Douglas will not make that same mistake).

image.thumb.png.1b83d68be9dba51ddbaee86b8c70e9e1.png

44 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don't know... I'm alone in struggling to get through listening to a guy who just got a $37M deal with $27M guaranteed talk about feeding his family?

I get what you're saying but he grow up without a pot to piss in and not a window to throw it out of. 

Money is not changing this dudes character, personality or fire and that's because he's still hungry as ever.

(the complete opposite of Trumaine Johnson who took the $$$$ and ran/quit). 

41 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Visions of spree lol.  Hey it’s better than the Wilkerson effect, getting fat and lazy 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Normally I’m with you when millionaires talk about feeding their family. This one is different though. It’s not JA saying he needs to be the highest paid S to feed his family. It’s Davis who already signed a very reasonable contract simply saying that on the field, his mentality has to be that. If everyone else is trying to feed their families by making plays and getting paid, he has to do the same otherwise the next contract might not come.

Frankly I came away incredibly impressed with Davis. 

• Post of the Week 2

WR has always been my favorite position. It’s what I played as a kid; all of my favorite childhood players were WRs. However, aside from the one year of Braylon, Santonio (?) and Cotch, all of my years of being a Jets fan has robbed me of ever being excited about the WRs.

This is the first time in a decade that I’m excited about the WR room. I loved Mims coming out last year (though he’s been an outright disappointment through camp), said on draft day that Moore would end up being the best pick of the draft, loved that we didn’t jettison Crowder, and loved the Cole signing. After last nights episode, I’m falling for Corey Davis too.

Really hope these guys can help elevate Wilson so he can become the QB we all want him to be. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

WR has always been my favorite position. It’s what I played as a kid; all of my favorite childhood players were WRs. However, aside from the one year of Braylon, Santonio (?) and Cotch, all of my years of being a Jets fan has robbed me of ever being excited about the WRs.

This is the first time in a decade that I’m excited about the WR room. I loved Mims coming out last year (though he’s been an outright disappointment through camp), said on draft day that Moore would end up being the best pick of the draft, loved that we didn’t jettison Crowder, and loved the Cole signing. After last nights episode, I’m falling for Corey Davis too.

Really hope these guys can help elevate Wilson so he can become the QB we all want him to be. 

Yup. Same here. It's why I scream "Jerry Jeudy" every draft.

And that's because dating back to 1996 the only 4 WRs we've drafted throughout the 1st two rounds before Joe Douglas (2020) throughout a 23 year span (1996-2019) were Keyshawn Johnson (1996), Santana Moss (2001), Stephen Hill (2012) and Devin Smith (2015).

And when teams are built through the draft; that's been criminal.

I already love Joe Douglas by just the ways he's attacked WR. Yes. I hated him for letting Robby Anderson walk but he's since made up for it and regained my trust by not only drafting both Denzel Mims (2nd round) and Elijah Moore (2nd pick of the 2nd round) back to back but he's also A.) Signed Corey Davis to the biggest 2021 FA WR contract. B.) Signed Keelan Cole as a FA WR and C.) Restructured the contract of Jamison Crowder @ WR too.

Which is why for the life of me I can't comprehend a couple of Jets fans who've I've witnessed GM bashing Joe Douglas due to not "double dipping @ WR" as if he hasn't needed to double dip at every stinking position.

He's saved our once neglected WR position (over night) and our O-Line too but that's a topic of discussion for another conversation.

8 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Agreed.   The signings of Davis and Cole were exactly what this offense needed.  Combined with Moore, JD took the weakest position group and made it a strength.  Those 3 receivers, if healthy, will dominate the reps this season.  Every one of those guys are interchangeable in the formations.  Then you have Mims and Crowder for some situational stuff.   It’s the first time in a very long time that we have this type of diversity in the WR room.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Normally I’m with you when millionaires talk about feeding their family. This one is different though. It’s not JA saying he needs to be the highest paid S to feed his family. It’s Davis who already signed a very reasonable contract simply saying that on the field, his mentality has to be that. If everyone else is trying to feed their families by making plays and getting paid, he has to do the same otherwise the next contract might not come.

Frankly I came away incredibly impressed with Davis. 

Full disclosure, and mea culpa.  I had only watched the opening scene when I posted it.

The man's got a story and has been through a hell of a lot - and clearly had his head on straight.  I don't love that talk in general, but very clear what's shaped him.

• Upvote 1