Some guy at Jets Addicts who speaks to Pauline

hmhertz

9 hours ago, derp said:

I’m beginning to suspect Walker is firmly in play as well. Something like Ekwonu-Walker seems like it’d vibe with what they want to do.

What are your thoughts on how the DL shakes out? I feel like I have more questions than answers.

Lawson obviously is a question after a pretty serious injury. He’s also just signed two more years at this point.

JFM is kind of a tweener - but that’s what Saleh ran with Armstead in SF. Bigger guy who can play base end and kick in on passing downs. Any chance JFM kicks inside or do they like him at edge base and kicking inside? I think this in particular Is important as he’s signed the longest on the DL. And I lean his role stays the same.

Fatukasi is a FA - as is Shepherd. There’s quietly two of four rotation pieces potentially leaving, including a nominal at least starter. Hopefully Marshall is good stepping into the rotation and they just need to add one guy.

To me draft wise a lot hinges on how they view JFM. If they like him in his role the best thing to do would seem to be drafting a guy who can develop behind Lawson and rush the quarterback on passing downs - figure they rotate heavily anyway. I figure that role is kind of important - don’t know if the Niners knew how their DL would shake out when they traded for Dee Ford but with the rotations and the Armstead/JFM type role that passing down edge seems important conceptually.

Is that Walker? With that frame, inside our experience, and as young as he is I’d see him more in the JFM role - which is fine if JFM kicks inside, though they’d still need someone behind Lawson. Walker is definitely fluid and has a little of that length + inside experience that has translated well in the past to DE - guess it kind of depends how he tests. And I guess maybe he can cut a little if he’s not asked to play inside so much.

Alternatively - or maybe in addition - Walker and JFM inside on passing downs would be something. And given the rotations being able to have at least one of those guys inside on passing downs while keeping guys fresh could be good too.

The ideal Lawson understudy also may just not be in the first round in this class. I’d be cool with them taking an athletic passing downs only guy on day two and see where that goes.

I think they would consider bringing back Fatukasi at the right price, but more likely than not I can see him leaving. They will continue a heavy rotation, so there are a number of players who I can see playing the 1T for his share of downs if he does leave. Otherwise, I would say the "base" front will look similar to what we saw this year (JFM playing the 5T on early downs), with a new DE rotating into the 5T and pushing JFM inside more frequently.  

To answer your question on Lawson: yes, I think it would be ideal for them to add a guy who can just pin his ears back and rush from the 7, but that also answers why a guy like Walker would be extremely valuable to them. He's shown an ability to play all over the place at a "high floor" level and his motor/effort is incredible. If Lawson were to get hurt again, you can plug Walker into that 7/9 spot and use JFM the way we did this year. If JFM were to get hurt, Walker fills that 5/3 spot perfectly. If Quinnen were to get hurt, you move JFM inside full-time and use Walker as your base 5DE. Walker isn't the flashiest guy, but he's the guy who fits the mold of player this coaching staff and football administration admire dearly. 

Jets aren't going to fix their pass rush in one draft, but they can try. Like OL, I think the intent with Douglas and Saleh is to draft these guys every year if possible. They like some of EDGE guys we have (i.e. Bryce Huff), but that's not stopping them from adding 2 premier pass rushers if they can. It wouldn't at all shock me to see them select 2 DLs in the top 70 picks. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

we need to walk away from the top 10 with 2 quality starters. ive accepted that we wont get any stars.

Why because talking heads and the hive mind says there is none atm??

Year after year these fools overrate and underrate these kids to death.

Just look at last year and the “generational” 1st pick. 

They know nothing 

Just now, oatmeal said:

Why because talking heads and the hive mind says there is none atm??

Year after year these fools overrate and underrate these kids to death.

Just look at last year and the “generational” 1st pick. 

They know nothing 

i think you can generally tell the real top tier guys. another year with QB's going in the top half of the top 10 (QB's are always a crapshoot) you would have positional value gold

Jamaar Chase, Kyle Pitts, Waddle, Sewell, Surtain, Parsons, Slater, Smith....are all blue chippers, and u knew it going into the draft.

this year you are going to have to hit on a guy more then make a no brainer pick in the top 10 (at least a couple). Not sure there is 1 guy i can point to who is on the level of any of the guys on the above list.

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Really hope a QB movement happens and they can trade down from 4.  

We need a QB movement + a lot of indication the Panthers and Giants will be in the QB market at pick 5 + 6. Otherwise there isn't going to be the urgency to move to four. I do believe some team will fall in love with a QB and move up, my guess is Pickett at the moment, but if the Giants give DJ the fifth year option and Carolina either says Sam D is our guy (Lolz) or make a trade/sign a vet - I think teams would view Denver at nine as the next stress point for a QB. 

If Denver does trade for a Russ/Rodgers/Cousins - our pick at 10 is in a great position. Washington should absolutely take a QB this year and the Saints and Steelers are logical choices to move up to 10 and swoop in front of Washington. 

5 hours ago, football guy said:

I think they would consider bringing back Fatukasi at the right price, but more likely than not I can see him leaving. They will continue a heavy rotation, so there are a number of players who I can see playing the 1T for his share of downs if he does leave. Otherwise, I would say the "base" front will look similar to what we saw this year (JFM playing the 5T on early downs), with a new DE rotating into the 5T and pushing JFM inside more frequently.  

To answer your question on Lawson: yes, I think it would be ideal for them to add a guy who can just pin his ears back and rush from the 7, but that also answers why a guy like Walker would be extremely valuable to them. He's shown an ability to play all over the place at a "high floor" level and his motor/effort is incredible. If Lawson were to get hurt again, you can plug Walker into that 7/9 spot and use JFM the way we did this year. If JFM were to get hurt, Walker fills that 5/3 spot perfectly. If Quinnen were to get hurt, you move JFM inside full-time and use Walker as your base 5DE. Walker isn't the flashiest guy, but he's the guy who fits the mold of player this coaching staff and football administration admire dearly. 

Jets aren't going to fix their pass rush in one draft, but they can try. Like OL, I think the intent with Douglas and Saleh is to draft these guys every year if possible. They like some of EDGE guys we have (i.e. Bryce Huff), but that's not stopping them from adding 2 premier pass rushers if they can. It wouldn't at all shock me to see them select 2 DLs in the top 70 picks. 

Would really like Justin Reid in FA and maybe jabrill peppers cheap